Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

None of them survived the episode anyways. So whatever they were, there's three less of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

The right weirdo will be pretty happy about this Vespa 400 but I don't know if they fetch much money.

I know of 2 rotting in storage but have never otherwise seen one in person.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

xzzy posted:

None of them survived the episode anyways. So whatever they were, there's three less of them.

Pretty sure Hammond's 430 made it? It was still running perfectly at the end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Pretty sure Hammond's 430 made it? It was still running perfectly at the end.

Oh right, forgot about it. Apparently Hammond's car has a little story behind it:

http://www.motoringbox.com/cars/entertainment/the-grand-tour/the-story-behind-richard-hammonds-1988-maserati-430-from-the-grand-tour/

Nothing eye opening, just that the PO got pressured hard to sell it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The right weirdo will be pretty happy about this Vespa 400 but I don't know if they fetch much money.

I know of 2 rotting in storage but have never otherwise seen one in person.

Those look like cartoons! They liked the little things enough to throw a 4 speed onto that tiny engine, and I love the little blurb there about performance

quote:

With only 14 hp (10 kW), top speed is 50 to 55 mph (80 to 90 km/h), depending on road grade, wind conditions, etc. Achieving top speed takes a leisurely 25 seconds. Fuel economy is about 5L/100 km.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

I reckon that Honda Z600 and the Tatra V8 there will bring a decent amount. Studes in decent shape might bring a few bucks.
Look at all the Divcos!

edit: and Jeep nuts love those Forward Controls.

The Tatra 600 is a flat-4.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

The Door Frame posted:

Those look like cartoons! They liked the little things enough to throw a 4 speed onto that tiny engine, and I love the little blurb there about performance

Christ, the NSU Prinz I had was a loving Ferrari F40 compared to that thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Literally "90km/h with a tail wind". I love it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

1964 GM-X Stiletto

BEST INTERIOR

:allears:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The steering wheel :swoon:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What even are all those gauges?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

What even are all those gauges?

Genuinely no idea and it seems nobody else has an idea either. It's all aircraft jet age inspired so who knows??

To get in the car you have to climb through the rear hatch.

Also it was apprently reworked into the Pontiac Cirrus a few years later.

Can we take a second to appreciate the Charger III?

...and what's going on here??

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Air brakes

The Cirrus looks more like a superboat than anything else

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 2, 2017

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

NoWake posted:

There's an absolutely insane auto auction coming up this summer, back in my old stomping grounds. It's supposed to be about 700 cars in total. The owner was "planning to start a museum" but that obviously never got off the ground, all vehicles are currently rusting away in various fields, barns, and abandoned retail buildings in Norwalk, Ohio.

It's a total poo poo show. Sorry to clog up the thread, it was just astounding to me how massive this is.

The owner started his collection his own personal junkyard while running a trucking company during the 70s, 80s and 90s. He was apparently really good at buying poo poo off the side of the road, hauling it home, throwing it in the barn, then leaving it to rot.

It looks like they've been preparing to liquidate for quite a while, take a peek at some of the cars being staged this past October:
(Google Street View link)

The absolute enormity of the collection hit me as I pulled highlights from the listing to post here, out of ~150 pictures I don't think there's a car shown twice. I still can't believe a collection this size was sitting so close to home while I was growing up! It's completely unbelievable, a true car hoard. It actually started to get quite depressing to look at after a bit.

The cars.

Just.

Don't.

Ever.

loving.

Stop.

So anyway, this might be a good opportunity for the enterprising goon to pick up a unique project car on the cheap. I didn't see too many uber-desirable cars besides the Cadillac ambulance, the '57 Chevy, the two Citroen DS's, the BMW Isetta and maybe some of the 50's pickups. The condition of everything ranges from sketchy as hell to completely rotten and there's just so goddamn much of it. Who could possibly buy all this poo poo?!

gently caress yes! Thank you for this. I am in Marietta so I will definitely be making a trip to attend this.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

xzzy posted:

Oh right, forgot about it. Apparently Hammond's car has a little story behind it:

http://www.motoringbox.com/cars/entertainment/the-grand-tour/the-story-behind-richard-hammonds-1988-maserati-430-from-the-grand-tour/

Nothing eye opening, just that the PO got pressured hard to sell it.

I'm not exactly the biggest fan for the trio, but I wouldn't really call that being pressured into selling it. It's not the like tale of lobsterboy's (I think) car where he had a agreement to buy it back in good condition and they wrecked it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
uh, guys...

it's a photoshop, but still.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 2, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Louvers! On an MX-5! :haw::fh:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I love the look of it, but the blind spots on the Miata targa look loving huge.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CharlesM posted:

Pretty sure it's a Tatra 600 aka Tatraplan.

Yes it is and it's my favourite car ever. Even more than the Yugo 45. Ugh I'm so in love.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Olympic Mathlete posted:

1964 GM-X Stiletto

BEST INTERIOR

That's nice Jr. Auto Designer, but what if I fart?

stump
Jan 19, 2006

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232224470298

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

I've always visualized the exhaust as being pushed out at as slowly as the intake air comes in. Not sure why I did that.

That's how a two stroke works.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The proper one is called 'Eventer' and is really well done.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Olympic Mathlete posted:

1964 GM-X Stiletto

BEST INTERIOR

1960s GM design departments must have been super fun to work in.

Holden Torana GTR-X

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

God, American cars have fallen so far.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blame aerodynamics and safety regulations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Meanwhile, while Gm designers were dicking around with aero poo poo, the engineers.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CAN5nO1ag0

well the engineers discovered cocaine. Then figured out how to make a car run on it, and GM management was like "coal, just say the powder is coal"

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Definitely a non-zero chance I'm missing something here, but the engine in the video is a four-stroke. A wasted spark one at that.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

glyph posted:

Definitely a non-zero chance I'm missing something here, but the engine in the video is a four-stroke. A wasted spark one at that.

Yes, the engine in the video is a four stroke, but the one he described in "how I thought it worked" is a two stroke.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

Blame aerodynamics and safety regulations.

Their competition does better at fuel economy and safety, so that's probably not the root cause.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

1964 GM-X Stiletto

BEST INTERIOR

I love how you can see the genesis of the '66 Toronado in this.

The way the sides extend forward past the grille, the wide popup headlights, and the way the side windows and windshield flow together are the most apparent things that carried over.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

After watching that video of how quickly the exhaust gasses vacate the cylinder on a four-stroke and applying this knowledge to what I know about two-stroke engines (very little) I'm going to hazard a guess that the exhaust gasses leaving the cylinder in a two-stroke creates a small vacuum that aids in pulling fuel and air into the combustion chamber at the same time.

Which I guess is why exhaust tuning is so important on two-strokes and holy poo poo I feel like I get (on a theoretical level) two-stroke engines now.

Edit: Is this why I've heard some two-strokes describes as something like "self-supercharging" or similar?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

After watching that video of how quickly the exhaust gasses vacate the cylinder on a four-stroke and applying this knowledge to what I know about two-stroke engines (very little) I'm going to hazard a guess that the exhaust gasses leaving the cylinder in a two-stroke creates a small vacuum that aids in pulling fuel and air into the combustion chamber at the same time.

Which I guess is why exhaust tuning is so important on two-strokes and holy poo poo I feel like I get (on a theoretical level) two-stroke engines now.

Edit: Is this why I've heard some two-strokes describes as something like "self-supercharging" or similar?

That's right. The exhaust port on a two stroke opens before the inlet. High pressure flue gas exits rapidly through the exhaust port and it momentum along with the downward piston motion pulls in the fresh fuel-air mixture. Positioning and shape of these ports is critical for the performance of the engine and the rev range where they operate.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Previa_fun posted:

It goes a bit beyond that, if you have a massive exhaust chamber with a constriction at the end, it creates a high-pressure wave that reflects backwards into the cylinder. With the right length, it'll hit right before the piston blocks off the exhaust port, pushing some of the (usually overly) scavenged air-fuel mixture back into the cylinder and giving a slight compression boost.

Here have a gif:

E: Think of it like tuning intake runners. You generally optimize for power at peak RPM.

E2: VV I'd never heard of that before, that's awesome! But yeah with the total loss oiling 2-strokes are pretty much doomed to power tools due to emissions.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 3, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Enourmo posted:

It goes a bit beyond that, if you have a massive exhaust chamber with a constriction at the end, it creates a high-pressure wave that reflects backwards into the cylinder. With the right length, it'll hit right before the piston blocks off the exhaust port, pushing some of the (usually overly) scavenged air-fuel mixture back into the cylinder and giving a slight compression boost.

Here have a gif:

E: Think of it like tuning intake runners. You generally optimize for power at peak RPM.

And to take this even further: the pipe as pictured is tuned for one particular RPM band because at any other RPM the timing of the pulse from the pipe won't be right. That's fine for applications where a transmission can keep the engine operating at that tuned RPM band.
With 2-stroke PWC (jetski) engines, there's no transmission and you need power over a wide band. The ingenious solution is to inject water into the head pipe (transition from exhaust manifold to tuned chamber) on a sort of RPM-dependent curve. The water cools the exhaust gases down, consequently slowing them down, effectively lengthening the pipe.
The end effect is that you get a variable length exhaust pipe that makes the power band nice and wide.

Probably nearly obsolete tech now as 2-stroke PWC engines aren't really a thing anymore except for some very special applications.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Chemmy posted:

Their competition does better at fuel economy and safety, so that's probably not the root cause.

Their competitors also have meaningful competition that causes them to improve over time. American cars operate in this bizarro monopoly, despite making what end up being generally worse vehicles than their foreign counterparts. All anyone has to do is just look at the fetid gene pool that is American Trucks to know that American companies face too little pressure to update their most basic design elements. Chevrolet was putting cast iron OHV's into Suburbans in TYOOL2016, Chrysler just can't stop themselves from putting iron pushrod engines into everything that they can, and hell, if it wasn't for Donald Peterson, Ford would probably still be trying to shove those lumpy Windsors into their vehicles. Iron is really goddamn heavy and doesn't come up to operating temperature nearly as fast as aluminum does, which is getting more important tas emissions regulations are going to continue getting tighter across the globe...

In less frustrating topics, today I saw a beautiful Corvair pickup outside of a local garage with the garage's logo on the side. I want to stop by and ask them about it, but really, I just want to hear that all American H6 run for a while

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

The Door Frame posted:

American cars operate in this bizarro monopoly, despite making what end up being generally worse vehicles than their foreign counterparts.

Have you been in a coma since the 90s?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Enourmo posted:

E2: VV I'd never heard of that before, that's awesome! But yeah with the total loss oiling 2-strokes are pretty much doomed to power tools due to emissions.

Or marine engines. Or marine-engined dragsters :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Q_res posted:

Have you been in a coma since the 90s?

It's possible that I have. I also really want to have a pickup that I can enjoy driving, but since small trucks like Rangers and S-10's died out, and American trucks are now similar in size or larger larger than the comically oversized Hummer H1, I resent every backwards aspect of their designs. More than just the lackluster aesthetic or driving performance aspects of their design, the American Truck also has a large tax protecting them from competition and relaxed emissions and crash test standards that allows them to not have to worry about changing their outdated designs. Especially frustrating since they're expected to be both commercial and passenger vehicles, despite the fact that so few consumers use them for anything other than commuting.

If you think I'm completely full of poo poo, look at the explosion in the market for small work vans in America. The truck market is so resistant to change that people who would normally buy smaller trucks and use them as trucks for their business now buy vans instead. Vans can actively change to meet the demands of their consumers. Consumers that don't want a +4L V8, trailrating, and the ability to tow a flatbed trailer full of bricks, consumers that just want a fuel efficient vehicle that has enough space and power to carry their tools/equipment around, but also fits in regular parking spaces on the street and doesn't suck to drive in

E: straight from the horse's mouth on the introduction of the van that is synonymous in America with work vans

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter#North_America posted:

For 2003, DaimlerChrysler introduced a Dodge branded version of the Sprinter to the North American market. It was identical to the Freightliner Trucks version except for minor styling details and badging. Rather than redesign the aging Dodge Ram Van which had used the same basic body and layout since the 1970s and was discontinued in 2003, DaimlerChrysler chose to replace it with the Sprinter.
The Dodge Ram Van was too old and backwards to be considered for use as as work van, despite being basically a covered version of every other Chrysler B-body truck, including the work trucks

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

Lead up to the Leadfoot Festival happening tomorrow. Will make sure I get snap happy