Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

snograt posted:

Does February have 30 days in CST, then?

OH poo poo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

snograt posted:

Does February have 30 days in CST, then?

For all you know.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Fawf posted:

Metroid Prime 3's 10th anniversary is coming up and after that you can say with earnest that Federation Force is the best official Metroid game in a decade

That's loving discu... true

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Lodin posted:

Sumo just annouced that this thing is Switch-bound. Looks interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_6dqzDvxNY

I enjoy this dumb snake's face

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Inzombiac posted:

It matters because changing it helped nothing and lowered that bar of diversity a little bit.
There are almost no southpaws in the media.

It's tiny, I admit, but one of my friends is a leftie and he always loved playing Zelda because of that detail.

:yikes:

Of all of the things to complain about, this is... sad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want a left-handed Mario.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I sure hope this $20 eShop card I bought to pad an Amazon order works on the Switch so I can get SnippyClips! If not, then lol wtf do I spend it on, the Wii U is dead and nothing comes to mind as to 3DS titles I'd like to buy digitally. Maybe Rhythm Heaven Megamix, but isn't that $30? Ahh whatever I'll figure it out. I just hope I didn't erroneously spend $20.

On that note, interesting thing I noticed:

quote:

Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

Dunno if that's old news or not, but it's pretty cool if it means what I think it'll mean: you can make a "goon in Japan obviously" user account to download all the sweet demos of games that may never come to the US. You could buy games too, I guess, if you want to bother with exchanging digital currency and (optionally) speak 日本語. I could see myself buying Taiko no Tatsujin this way, or just importing the card, because you don't need to read poo poo in that game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

enojy posted:

I sure hope this $20 eShop card I bought to pad an Amazon order works on the Switch so I can get SnippyClips! If not, then lol wtf do I spend it on

The bunny.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

enojy posted:

Maybe Rhythm Heaven Megamix, but isn't that $30? Ahh whatever I'll figure it out. I just hope I didn't erroneously spend $20.

If you have the coins one of the current My Nintendo rewards is a 30% discount on Megamix.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Wiimote in TP wasn't as bad for lefties since it wasn't a 1:1 movement, so you could still hold it in your left hand with little issue (so that is stupid that they made Link a righty to begin with). However, it called for more adjustment in SS if you wanted to play left handed still. I ended up just playing right handed and taking a bit to get used to it. It really couldn't have been much more dev to give a left/right handed option and just flip the character model in game and invert movements.

I was hoping he could be lefty or ambidextrous in this game since you have more weapon options. Was hoping you could dual wield swords in lieu of a shield.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Wiimote in TP wasn't as bad for lefties since it wasn't a 1:1 movement, so you could still hold it in your left hand with little issue (so that is stupid that they made Link a righty to begin with). However, it called for more adjustment in SS if you wanted to play left handed still. I ended up just playing right handed and taking a bit to get used to it. It really couldn't have been much more dev to give a left/right handed option and just flip the character model in game and invert movements.

I was hoping he could be lefty or ambidextrous in this game since you have more weapon options. Was hoping you could dual wield swords in lieu of a shield.

It isn't as simple as flipping the character model, especially since Link's design in the game was asymmetrical (even when he's not holding the sword). It's an animation nightmare if you just flip an asymmetrical character and leave the rest of the game assets unflipped, which is probably why they also just flipped the gameworld in Twilight Princess. The issue with that then, however, is you will now also need to adjust dialogue in reference to direction, on top of things such as maps and UI.

An ambidextrous Link would be pretty neato, though.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Link was ambidextrous in the GB/C games, he could hold the sword with his A button or his B button.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Philip Rivers posted:

Link was ambidextrous in the GB/C games, he could hold the sword with his A button or his B button.

true

Theta Zero posted:

It isn't as simple as flipping the character model, especially since Link's design in the game was asymmetrical (even when he's not holding the sword). It's an animation nightmare if you just flip an asymmetrical character and leave the rest of the game assets unflipped, which is probably why they also just flipped the gameworld in Twilight Princess. The issue with that then, however, is you will now also need to adjust dialogue in reference to direction, on top of things such as maps and UI.

An ambidextrous Link would be pretty neato, though.

Ya, i know it would really have been more than flipping the model like I previously said, but I doubt it would have been a nightmare. There are 3rd person games that allow you to assign weapons to the left or right hand. They could have created animations for both and adjusted things accordingly to work with motion controls. But I don't blame them for not putting extra man hours into appeasing 10% of the population.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wasn't Link left handed in one version of Twilight Princess, and right handed in the other?
Like he was a lefty in the Wii version because wagglemote, and a rightie in the GC version?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No wait, the other way :v:

I'm a lefty :v:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Was it ever determined why the motion controls in Skyward Sword just didn't work for some people? They worked 100% as advertised for me. My cousin, trying the game out with the same Wiimote and appearing to make the same motions I did, couldn't get it to do anything except totally spaz out and occasionally swing in the opposite direction he was trying. There was speculation that there were quality control variations with the Wiimotes or some people were just too retarded to play, but I got to personally see it not work in someone else's hands and work fine in mine.

Also I'm ambidextrous to the point that I'd just use the Wiimote in whatever hand happened to be closer when I picked it up and never really thought about what hand Link was using mattering.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm really REALLY curious about the gun and the sexual content warning icons showing up for a Zelda game.

Breath of the Wild is actually going to be a rip-off of Zardoz.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fawf posted:

If you have the coins one of the current My Nintendo rewards is a 30% discount on Megamix.

Nice! But ironic -- it's 80 coins, and I have 60. Buying Snipperclips would bump me up to 80. :-P Maybe I'll get it after all.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Any news on them selling separate docks in case you want to take it between multiple TVs in the house? I wouldn't mind have a second for my basement TV. However, seeing how expensive extra joycons are, it would probably be $99 or more (I'd pay in the $49.99 range including a power brick that they sell for $29.99 on their own).

edit: nm, just saw an article saying they will sell for $90. Will get one used or whatever in a year for 1/2 that hopefully.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Was it ever determined why the motion controls in Skyward Sword just didn't work for some people? They worked 100% as advertised for me. My cousin, trying the game out with the same Wiimote and appearing to make the same motions I did, couldn't get it to do anything except totally spaz out and occasionally swing in the opposite direction he was trying. There was speculation that there were quality control variations with the Wiimotes or some people were just too retarded to play, but I got to personally see it not work in someone else's hands and work fine in mine.

Also I'm ambidextrous to the point that I'd just use the Wiimote in whatever hand happened to be closer when I picked it up and never really thought about what hand Link was using mattering.

I think you just need to get the feel for it. If you went to quick and just swung it around, it wouldn't time well with the character (he would still be in the motion of raising the sword when you were already done, so when you go to raise it again he puts it down instead of up or whatever). If you got your timing right with the motions on screen, it worked ok. I know I had issues trying to play left handed and just switching how I did my swings for his right hand, but I just ended up switching to right handed and got used to it and didn't have too much problem unless I didn't play for a week or so and got rusty.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 3, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

FireMrshlBill posted:

Any news on them selling separate docks in case you want to take it between multiple TVs in the house? I wouldn't mind have a second for my basement TV. However, seeing how expensive extra joycons are, it would probably be $99 or more (I'd pay in the $49.99 range including a power brick that they sell for $29.99 on their own).

Yeah, they sell them separately. It is similarly priced with other USB-C / HDMI-out hubs - or in other words, they're pretty expensive. Like around $89.99 or something.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

who is this blue muppet character discussing mario

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

a.lo posted:

who is this blue muppet character discussing mario

Don't touch the ArloPoop

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

It's one of those I'm super glad I still have the cart for. Hard to tell what won't be able to be emulated down the line but that one was pretty obvious, unlike say Yoshi's Island. Not that I was thinking about that as a kid but still.
This makes me want to play Drill Dozer again, don't really need the cart or anything, but it was particularly cool on the GB micro cause the rumble was proportionally stronger on the smaller system. That and the visuals and sound and rumble all worked really well in sync.

enojy posted:

Dunno if that's old news or not, but it's pretty cool if it means what I think it'll mean: you can make a "goon in Japan obviously" user account to download all the sweet demos of games that may never come to the US. You could buy games too, I guess, if you want to bother with exchanging digital currency and (optionally) speak 日本語. I could see myself buying Taiko no Tatsujin this way, or just importing the card, because you don't need to read poo poo in that game.
I saw a Taiko machine while on a trip with family and got my nephew and his dad to play...then realized there's a few menus/dialogs before you actually start playing. I know there's song selection and difficulty but I think there was some stuff before and after that where I was just like "I DON'T KNOW JUST HIT SOMETHING."

I could see song selection getting a little annoying just cause you might need to hear the sound sample for a sec to recognize what songs are what. But yeah anyway I'm planning on getting Taiko too :hfive:

Rexroom posted:

Yeah, they sell them separately. It is similarly priced with other USB-C / HDMI-out hubs - or in other words, they're pretty expensive. Like around $89.99 or something.
Cheap hubs are around $30 but that's without power (i.e. another $30)...in theory they might work with the Switch but I'd rather have the dock for the slight form factor convenience. I'm guessing some people will just want to use the Switch portably and sell their docks, so I'm hoping for a glut of them on eBay eventually. Or refurb ones on the Nintendo shop.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I just want to say as a lefty that I enjoyed that Link also had my mutation.

I just hope that they make sure to have a separate hero timeline for all the righty links. Because I can't have their retconned hilarious timeline of zelda games be inconsistent. You can't have the hero of time left handed in one game, and then right handed in the other. I will not stand for it. I will cancel my pre order. I will shave off all my hair and poop on the steps of any and all nintendo offices.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Only 4 weeks to go. :woop:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

would gladly pay for a translucent atomic purple joycon set

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

well why not posted:

would gladly pay for a translucent atomic purple joycon set

Hell yeah.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Spice orange Joycon or bust.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Waltzing Along posted:

What does everyone want to argue about now? How about how SM64 is actually trash? That should get people riled up on both sides.

I agree with this

Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and 3D World are all way better

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Proving that 1-2-Switch can be fun for hardcore gamers, here's Hideo Kojima playing the game:

https://twitter.com/Kaizerkunkun/status/827447047888441345

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/827488713961828353

VOTE SNIPPERCLIPS DUMMIES

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

This x 10010101941902521401250

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Frankly I'm glad I don't have to get a Switch at launch. All I really care about is Zelda and since the Dishwasher recently shat itself that made the decision of just getting it on WiiU simple.
A mate of mine is Bomberman crazy (he even has Act Zero) so I'll just play that and Snipperclips at his place.
I'll probably look into getting the console once at least Mario Kart and Spaltoon 2 are out.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bomberman 94 came out on the Virtual Console yesterday, and it's an apt choice right now because it's 5p multiplayer and you can pick a unique bomber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFXwwtJ7zx0

We're a Bomberman 93 household, but this is a pretty good sample of what they're going for with Super Bomberman R. However good or bad the new game is, this is a good party game and you should have it

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I'm the fat bomberman.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Inzombiac posted:

It matters because changing it helped nothing and lowered that bar of diversity a little bit.
There are almost no southpaws in the media.

It's tiny, I admit, but one of my friends is a leftie and he always loved playing Zelda because of that detail.

lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stagger_Lee posted:

I'm the fat bomberman.

Bomberham

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

EpicNemesis posted:

Spice orange Joycon or bust.

Just looked it up, dbrand is doing skins for switch + dock + joycons. Orange is available. I'm kinda tempted by the marble-finish dock, looks kinda neat.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kirios posted:

Again, people defending the Wiimote in 2017 baffles me. Guess you won't be buying the Switch since it doesn't have motion control. Oh well, you're missing out!

Yes because that's the only way someone who played the wii can enjoy video games. :jerkbag:

lelandjs posted:

Proving that 1-2-Switch can be fun for hardcore gamers, here's Hideo Kojima playing the game:

https://twitter.com/Kaizerkunkun/status/827447047888441345

loving, Greg overacting the heel no matter what he does. That cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My only hangup is adding a skin to the joycons. I don't know if the skins will feel as good to hold as the plastic on the joycon.

• Locked thread