Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Genocyber posted:

Elements and status effects do have build up meters, yeah. You can see that on the enemy's health bar when you hit them. Fill up the meter and the effect procs. For status there's poison and paralysis (probably others but I forget), for elements there's fire (damage over time), water (reduced defenses), earth (increased Ki consumption), lightning (reduced movement speed), and wind (increases Ki damage taken). With the elemental effects if you proc two at the same time it applies a new effect which reduces their Ki to zero while active.

For the elements and statuses there are both items that cause them and items that apply them to weapons. Ninjutsu is about the status effects, Onmyo magic about the elements. There are also weapons that come with these attributes natively.

Just put this in every post, to be safe.

Thanks for answering...everything. Droping somethings ki to zero, means the are open for a crit correct, and they cant do anything. That seems fight endingly huge. Might be a cool build.

I assume bosses will be immune to element with exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

When yokai's ki is dropped to zero every single hit will make them flinch so it's an opportunity to do a lot of damage without having to worry about them swinging at you.

None of the demo bosses have been status immune but your success in applying them may vary.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Thanks for answering...everything. Droping somethings ki to zero, means the are open for a crit correct, and they cant do anything. That seems fight endingly huge. Might be a cool build.

I assume bosses will be immune to element with exceptions.

You can definitely apply elements to the demo bosses, status effects didn't seem to work though. No idea if Discord (I think that's what the multi element thing is called?) works, I only found out about it after the Last Chance Trial ended.

Ki being at 0 differs for humans and Yokai. Humans cannot act and are open to a "final strike" in the game's terminology (I think). Yokai can still act but will be staggered by every attack you make. Some Yokai can also be critted.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yokai also tend to have huge health pools so kicking them until they're out of ki is a good strategy

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
^^^ Yokai also don't get any ki regen unless they're standing in yokai realm areas. If you are quick on the cleanse you can keep them low fairly easily (although their "I'm out of stamina, get the gently caress off me" move gives them a decent chunk in addition to spawning a pool).

Lakbay posted:

Maybe the reviewers are talking about bosses not featured in the demos

The boss-health complaint was also made about the beta and demo bosses.

Caltrops are a great pick for a non-ninja character if you get ninja points. They are cheap, throw very quickly and work on everything. Smoke bombs are also a good choice. As is unlocking the proper backstabs (they got moved into having no pre-requisite skills for the demo, so they are even easier to get).
I think Onmyo points are going to be harder to choose right for non-mages. Weapon buffs are a no-brainer, but everything Onmyo takes so much capacity you'll probably have to spend most of your points on capacity increase and passive abilites (there are some nice passives in there).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 2, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I found the paralysis effect pretty lovely but I'll bet it'll have it's uses in pvp. Poison is fine for me because it killed a tengu and the surprise onryoki when I had to get out and recover.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Someone's a huge fan http://www.thejimquisition.com/nioh-review/

e: goddamn these are all coming in mega positive https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/5rlpmc/nioh_review_thread_xpost_rps4/

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Bombadilillo posted:

Devs say all sorts of things. What do reviews say? I don't want to read for fear of spoilers. Plus Im sure it waivers wildly with skill and how fast the game clicks with someone. You could spend 5 hours in the undead burg in DS1 the first time. But if you are a series vet you could clear it in a few tries. 70 hours of new and unique content sounds like a LOT, I hope its there!

I haven't read any either. When i played the alpha, I think it took me 5 or 6 hours to finally get to the ship ogre. Beta took me only 2 as this game really clicks with me.

I trust that the game will at least be 30, maybe 40. Cutscenes, twilight missions, and general exploration should take a lot of time.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Monolith. posted:

I haven't read any either. When i played the alpha, I think it took me 5 or 6 hours to finally get to the ship ogre. Beta took me only 2 as this game really clicks with me.

I trust that the game will at least be 30, maybe 40. Cutscenes, twilight missions, and general exploration should take a lot of time.

That said, Dark Souls each last me 100-200 based on NG+ and different build replays. Hope this hold my interest like they do.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Tech analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFGpzu8Mss

Action Mode or go home.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Tech analysis.

Making me wish I had a PS4 Pro a bit here. But the demo looked good enough for me on Action Mode on a regular PS4 so I'm happy.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Harrow posted:

Making me wish I had a PS4 Pro a bit here. But the demo looked good enough for me on Action Mode on a regular PS4 so I'm happy.

Same. I can live with a regular PS4 even if a Pro would be nice.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah, hitting the first wave of releases with significant pro differences. Especially if you don't own a 4k, 1080/60 (mostly) would be very nice.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 2, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I didn't get a chance to play any of the free to play weekends but I just watched a few boss fight streams. Does the loot system skew closer to Diablo than Dark Souls? The fights seemed to end with a pile of drops on the ground.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I didn't get a chance to play any of the free to play weekends but I just watched a few boss fight streams. Does the loot system skew closer to Diablo than Dark Souls? The fights seemed to end with a pile of drops on the ground.

Yep. Randomly rolled stats and such on weapons, but it feels better than something like Darksiders 2's system.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

I've seen 30 and 40 hours but gamespot says they're at 40 and still haven't finished so I guess it comes down to how much time you spend dying and/or loving around in co-op and side missions.

Do we know yet if the twilight levels are plot-necessary or if they're optional challenges for mad loots?

At first I was skeptical about the idea of rotating twilight levels, but someone mentioned that it would encourage co-op because everyone is going to want to blast through those stages ASAP. So I'm imagining playing through the main campaign solo but partying up for the challenge levels to help farm sweet drops and augment your solo-run gear. Making them the same levels with enhanced enemies seems like it nicely splits the balance between wanting to experience content for the first time alone, but also seeking out extra difficulty for more rewards.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In the beta and last chance trial they were just harder remixes of the main missions.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Yodzilla posted:

Tech analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFGpzu8Mss

Action Mode or go home.

I got a Pro for basically free so this makes me even more excited. Ill take a slight graphic drop for 60 fps.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Twilight stages are optional yeah

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I played the demo of this some time last year, and couldn't beat the first guy with my fists (he was armored with a sword). I'm a dark souls 'expert' (sl1 run on original dark souls, beat 4 kings. Have also beat all souls games + bloodborne) but this just seemed harder. To be fair I only tried once or twice then gave up. Was it harder in the alpha? Does this look like a great game?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

redreader posted:

I played the demo of this some time last year, and couldn't beat the first guy with my fists (he was armored with a sword). I'm a dark souls 'expert' (sl1 run on original dark souls, beat 4 kings. Have also beat all souls games + bloodborne) but this just seemed harder. To be fair I only tried once or twice then gave up. Was it harder in the alpha? Does this look like a great game?

The first alpha was harder, but I'm pretty sure you got a sword before you fought the first enemy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

redreader posted:

Alpha was definitely balanced a bit more lethally than later builds. It also left a worse first impression because you start with garbage armor and defense really does a lot to mitigate damage in this.

My impressions from the recent Last Chance Trial are very favorable, and most of the reviews seem quite positive as well. All 8s and 9s with a few 10s.

Best way to think of it is a mix of Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden, and Diablo: a lot of the trappings of and focus on stamina management that Dark Souls has; the fast-paced and combo heavy nature of the combat of Ninja Gaiden; and the random loot of Diablo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

Really, they should have Griffin McElroy review as many of the hard action games as he can, because sometimes it seems like he's the only one of the Polygon writers who actually enjoys that kind of game and doesn't just struggle through it either because it's their job to review the game or they know it's an "important" game and need to experience it. This isn't even a "lol Polygon are bad at games" thing, just that Griffin's the only one on staff who's shown any real excitement for the gameplay of challenging action games or action-RPGs.

My favorite example of this is the guy PCG UK used to review Mortal Kombat X - he spent a paragraph at most talking about how awful the controls felt (something which is almost universally praised elsewhere), and the rest of the review ranting about how juvenile the gore was. Reviewers need to at least have some sort of interest in telling other people about the actual loving game, rather than just a springboard for how much they hate something. Wasn't there an infamous Kotaku reviewer who used preview materials (for Guitar Hero I think?) to whinge about how much he'd prefer to be at home in bed, rather than taking part in social stuff.

:wtc:

By comparison I loved OPM UK's review of MKX. He still made comments about the gore/women's costumes, but also went into actual depth and critique of the game's core systems that weren't just "these sucked" and "it was too hard". There was an actual balance of content that was informative for the reader.

I'll get off my soap box now. :v:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

tap my mountain posted:

The first alpha was harder, but I'm pretty sure you got a sword before you fought the first enemy.

I must not have found it, lol.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

lets hang out posted:

Also, if you weren't able to download the Mark of the Conqueror DLC before, try typing "MARK O" into search on the store. You should find it and be able to download it now. At least it worked for me, here on my US account. Dunno if it works for people who didn't actually earn it.
well thats a relief. i did all three demos and it never downloaded properly, and now i can see the actual dlc on my system

also the intro to the alpha focuses on an item on a corpse, which drops a sword... is this perhaps your very first video game

Relin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 3, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Went ahead and pre-ordered this because I'm definitely going to buy it, the last beta cemented it for me. Gonna get in at midnight!

lets hang out posted:

Also, if you weren't able to download the Mark of the Conqueror DLC before, try typing "MARK O" into search on the store. You should find it and be able to download it now. At least it worked for me, here on my US account. Dunno if it works for people who didn't actually earn it.

I just went to the Nioh page and it showed up as a DLC, although a free one, and I just grabbed it. Didn't have to search for anything :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megasabin posted:

Can you elaborate more on this. Where should we but putting points and how do you get more skills points for these 2 if you are focusing primarily on regular weapons?

Okay so, each weapon has 3 different scalings. One will be the clear winner, but there's always minimum 3 stats that each weapon type scales off. Within a weapon class, some will have slightly different scaling.

So Katanas all scale best with Heart, but one may have C- Skill scaling while another has B- Skill scaling (Both less than the Heart scaling which is like A)

If you put points into Dex or Magic, you get more Ninja Skill Points or Onmyo Magic Skill points for unlocking new abilities. Points put into anything else will give you Samurai Skill Points for unlocking techniques instead. Those simply unlock things though. The stats themselves and how much scaling you have determine the damage those techniques or abilities inflict.

So.... basically there's infinity options.

Like lets say you go Kusarigama. You use Skill and Dex scaling, so you naturally will get several Ninjitsu points as you go. May as well spend those! So you can easily synergize a Dex build Kusarigama and Ninjitsu.

But you can also go all out Skill, and instead have a Kusarigama and Katana build, with no Ninjitsu at all.

You'll see as you play the game, don't obsess about it too much right now. Try out all the weapons you get, and then find what overlaps between them, and then put points in that.

Especially crazy is that weapons can roll scaling as a random bonus / prefix diablo style. So you can have weapons that scale with 4 or more attributes, and weapons that scale with not-typical attributes.

So like, you could get a Katana that scales with Dex, and then put all your points in Dex and be a Katana Ninjitsu build. See? Virtually limitless possibilities.

Especially considering you can re-roll stats on a weapon, or if you find a katana that has good dex scaling you can level it up by infusing other weapons.... its like... you have so many options don't even worry about it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Polygon won't have a Nioh review in time for the release cause the games to hard for them.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I'm glad I'm good at the Nioh.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

In 20+ years of playing video games I think the only other time I've pre-ordered a game was Wrath of the Lich King. And that was because the only place to buy my games in my podunk home town was the wal-mart, and it sold out of pre-orders as I anticipated. However, this game looks awesome and it's going to help fill the gaping hole that Dark Souls has left in me, so I even splurged on the deluxe version or whatever it is.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Nioh is like Dark Souls except it's good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is the theme you get for preordering already usable? Does it look cool if so?

I read the OP.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 3, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Looks cool and has good music

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRA-lpku3SQ

Looks good. reviews are good. I'll probably bite the bullet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't want any spoilers for the game except, is Hattori Hanzo's Clock Cat or any other Ninja Cat featured prominently in the game beyond that one scene

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't want any spoilers for the game except, is Hattori Hanzo's Clock Cat or any other Ninja Cat featured prominently in the game beyond that one scene

Can confirm good cats

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Alteisen posted:

Polygon won't have a Nioh review in time for the release cause the games to hard for them.

The best part is the destructoid editor in the comments saying it isn't really that hard

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Alteisen posted:

In a way, that's the best review possible. :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are they able to move William and the camera at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
No, nor can they attack and move at the same time.