Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Moola posted:

I dont even know you any more

LON:GAW peaked recently. On January 18th, the stock closed at 868.5p, which is above its previous 5-year peak of 810p set back in July 2013.

If you bought GW stock exactly 1 year ago, you have enjoyed a 76.61% return, which is phenomenal. The company has continued to pay its regular dividends, and although the stock is currently at 826 after sliding over the last week, there's no particular sign of weakness and it is actually just tracking a general market pullback across european markets.

Age of Sigmar appears to have been helpful to GW's bottom line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I bet it has a lot more to do with Calth, Prospero, Deathwatch and Genestealer Cults.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Leperflesh posted:

Age of Sigmar appears to have been helpful to GW's bottom line.

If only it had not destroyed our souls.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

muggins posted:

I actually noticed the new tzeentch demon is 70 pounds, or 115 usd, while the true exchange rate should be 87. I've noticed mantic and warlord do this as well. I can understand not wanting to have to change prices based on exchange rates all the time, but it's not even close. Is this even legal?
GW cares about independent ebay retailers and wants to make sure they have a place in the current economy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So the Nova Open just opened for registration today. I saw this for the 40k GT: https://novaopenstore.com/NoVACart/Home/EventItem/1056

So, holy moly it's $70 just for the tournament. It cost me that much for the convention pass and x-wing tournament pass. But look at the schedule, which is insane:

Price: $70.00
Instructor / Organizer: Phil Rodokanakis and Neil Gilstrap
Max Attendees: 256
Date(s):
Fri 9/01/2017 - (Round 1)
09:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Fri 9/01/2017 - (Round 2)
01:30 PM - 04:30 PM
Fri 9/01/2017 - (Round 3)
05:00 PM - 08:00 PM
Sat 9/02/2017 - (Round 4)
Sat 9/02/2017 - (Round 5)
Sat 9/02/2017 - (Round 6)
Sun 9/03/2017 - (Round 7)
11:30 AM - 02:30 PM
Sun 9/03/2017 - (Round 8)
03:00 PM - 06:00 PM
:psyduck:

Looking at the primer is also a laugh, as always. It's 20 pages. e: lol just noticed on the bottom of page 16 is a link to an FAQ which is another 35 pages.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Chill la Chill posted:

So the Nova Open just opened for registration today. I saw this for the 40k GT: https://novaopenstore.com/NoVACart/Home/EventItem/1056

So, holy moly it's $70 just for the tournament. It cost me that much for the convention pass and x-wing tournament pass. But look at the schedule, which is insane:

Date(s):

Looking at the primer is also a laugh, as always. It's 20 pages. e: lol just noticed on the bottom of page 16 is a link to an FAQ which is another 35 pages.

You need to relax dude. What part of this being a chance for cool casual dudes to bro down while chucking dice don't you get? Its about the people, not the high prices of admission, travel, and accommodation. It's about the good times not the punishing schedule, or the tidal wave of rules, or the busted games being played. Seriously, what's your problem?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
thats like paying for torture

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

thats like paying for torture

please don't kinkshame here

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Date(s):

Eight rounds what the hell? Is that how these things run now? I can't remember playing in one more than five. I can't remember if NOVA was always like that since I was more familiar with the Fantasy side. It sounds exhausting.

Tournaments trying to "fix" GW games are always the best since the games are so broken you really should just accept it outside of a few glaring issues. NOVA used to have a lot of house rules to patch up the holes in 40k which was its favorite child while the other games were all pushed into the other hall. I wonder if that's still the case.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 2, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard posted:

You need to relax dude. What part of this being a chance for cool casual dudes to bro down while chucking dice don't you get? Its about the people, not the high prices of admission, travel, and accommodation. It's about the good times not the punishing schedule, or the tidal wave of rules, or the busted games being played. Seriously, what's your problem?

You're right. I forgot about the fly casual x-wing mantra: hang out with your wang out. I've been the grognard

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Radish posted:

Eight rounds what the hell? Is that how these things run now? I can't remember playing in one more than five. I can't remember if NOVA was always like that since I was more familiar with the Fantasy side. It sounds exhausting.

Tournaments trying to "fix" GW games are always the best since the games are so broken you really should just accept it outside of a few glaring issues. NOVA used to have a lot of house rules to patch up the holes in 40k which was its favorite child while the other games were all pushed into the other hall. I wonder if that's still the case.

Fifty-plus pages of rules. As for love child, well, I think they've been using pictures from the big x-wing tournament on the front page the past couple years now.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I mean once you have to put out 50 pages of un-official rules I just don't understand the point of playing that game competitively... It's like you have basically created a different game at that point and admitting it's badly designed at its core.

Good for Xwing though. :wookie:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

A 40k thread poster posted:

Just venting I guess, felt like a waste of three hours the second we deployed.

GW.txt

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Yeah that was me. Not a fun game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

you played 40k

what did you expect?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

you played 40k

what did you expect?

The sweet caress of death, and yet here I am.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

To be fair that applies to 40K first and foremost (lumping in Apoc and 30K), followed by AoS. Other GW games aren't quite that bad. (Still not good, but not that bad).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I will willingly, but begrudgingly, play forbidden stars as a 3-hour game. I don't like fiddly ameritrash games as much but here I am trying to plan out a campaign for north africa game with my friends. :v:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

TKIY posted:

Reading how that battle turned out (losing because all the objectives randomly ended up on your opponents side of the board) and how the other 40k posters responded (just play a completely different army next time to counter their skewed build) makes me wonder why you bother

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Not a viking posted:

Reading how that battle turned out (losing because all the objectives randomly ended up on your opponents side of the board) and how the other 40k posters responded (just play a completely different army next time to counter their skewed build) makes me wonder why you bother

Usually the answer is something like "it's the only game people play" which is still a lousy excuse. No gaming is better than bad gaming.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Chill la Chill posted:

Date(s):

So when are you supposed to sleep? Never?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Usually the answer is something like "it's the only game people play" which is still a lousy excuse. No gaming is better than bad gaming.
Indeed. I actually dragged my entire 40K group into Infinity with me. But one of them was an Ork player, so he wasn't hard to convince. And we actually play more now than we used to, probably because the game doesn't take six loving hours to play (well, unless you're playing our JSA guy, but he's got a wicked case of beginner's decision paralysis - he's getting better every game). And dudes who haven't played 40K in almost 20 years are getting back into the tabletop scene, largely because the buy-in costs for a skirmish game are so much lower. And the rules are actually, you know, good.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

40k the Monopoly of table top wargaming. It makes alot of sense.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Age of Mary Sue

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

For those of us that couldn't really tell one white dude in power armour apart from another white dude in power armour even when we did play this awful game; who is this, why should I be screaming like a teenage girl at a Beatles concert, how does this advance the game in new and exciting ways?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

For those of us that couldn't really tell one white dude in power armour apart from another white dude in power armour even when we did play this awful game; who is this, why should I be screaming like a teenage girl at a Beatles concert, how does this advance the game in new and exciting ways?

He's the plainest, most boring, most vanilla primarch, from the Ultramarines, and he's the guy half the Marine players hate because Matt Ward's fiction turned him into the 'liege lord' of every marine, more beloved than any other primarch, even their own sometimes.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just buy Operation Ice Storm, paint the minis and pimp it like you have no shame like I did

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

He's the plainest, most boring, most vanilla primarch, from the Ultramarines, and he's the guy half the Marine players hate because Matt Ward's fiction turned him into the 'liege lord' of every marine, more beloved than any other primarch, even their own sometimes.

Of loving course it is...

It's bland white dude power fantasy all the way down isn't it?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Also Cypher and the Fallen are apparently fighting on his side.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Not a viking posted:

Just buy Operation Ice Storm, paint the minis and pimp it like you have no shame like I did
This but unironically Operation Red Veil.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
When I played 40K in the 90's Robot Goldboat was "that guy who was kind of a stickler to regulations and wrote a huge bunch of rules that the other Space Marines agreed to follow to a varying degree while making jerk-off motions and rolling their eyes behind his back, and wait he's kinda Roman looking I guess because it's literally the Marian Reforms but in Space Future".

Now he's "that guy who every space marine adores more than the Emperor himself, because some lovely recent GW writer had a real hard-on for Ultramarines and turned them from rules-lawyer party poopers to the best marines that every other marine wants to be".

It's so lovely that only GW could pull it off.

E: of course they're going to drag the Fallen into this mess and gently caress up their fluff to hell and back.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

lilljonas posted:

When I played 40K in the 90's Robot Goldboat was "that guy who was kind of a stickler to regulations and wrote a huge bunch of rules that the other Space Marines agreed to follow to a varying degree while making jerk-off motions and rolling their eyes behind his back, and wait he's kinda Roman looking I guess because it's literally the Marian Reforms but in Space Future".

Now he's "that guy who every space marine adores more than the Emperor himself, because some lovely recent GW writer had a real hard-on for Ultramarines and turned them from rules-lawyer party poopers to the best marines that every other marine wants to be".

It's so lovely that only GW could pull it off.

E: of course they're going to drag the Fallen into this mess and gently caress up their fluff to hell and back.

I played Ultramarines in the 90's and liked that they were the austere fanatics of ancient dogma. They weren't actually better than other chapters, but believed that they were because their Primarch wrote the book.

Basically they were the epitome of Imperial society being stuck in a rut trying to do the same thing over and over based solely on millenia old commands that don't really make sense anymore.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think it's interesting if you take the idea that the Space Marine codex that Ward wrote is a piece of Ultramarine propaganda, where they don't record any of their losses but fill warehouses with records of victories, and basically have a really efficient propaganda machine that they bombard everyone with.

OTOH I think that argument is used too often as a crux for fanboys to hold up lovely writing. It also ends up in Shroedingers Troll situations, where good GW writing (lol) is held up as good writing but bad writing is "In universe imperial propaganda", so you cover all bases.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Cypher returning and drawing his sword that he never draws because of universe ending implications is also fine and good and definitely nothing like the end times.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Here's an inside pic.

And I guess they updated and changed cypher's model because GW isn't really bothered with little things like consistency.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

This but unironically Operation Red Veil.
buy both

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I recommend Deadzone 2E Starter, and then in a few months Operation Heracles

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcjomar posted:

Here's an inside pic.

And I guess they updated and changed cypher's model because GW isn't really bothered with little things like consistency.

The T H I C C calves and puny thighs on what I assume is Guilliman is really throwing me off. :psyduck:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I recommend Deadzone 2E Starter, and then in a few months Operation Heracles
deadzone blows (I haven't played it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

That roboute model looks like a fuckin fischer price toy compared to the 30k one

• Locked thread