Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
tax is fun!

https://twitter.com/PJTheEconomist/status/827443565831868416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Quote on the Victoria Derbyshire show: "Some parts of the UK are experiencing outbreaks of tuberculosis that are higher than much poorer countries like Yemen and Iraq."

I was surprised by this, so i had a look for the numbers. According to the most updated stats by country (from 2015), Yemen has 48 cases per 100k people, while Iraq has 43. So going by this snapshot of the UK it is true, but only for a couple of parts of London, and possibly, what, Leicester? Everywhere else is pretty nominal thankfully.

E: Explanation for Leicester: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/city-hotspot-tb/story-15978560-detail/story.html

HJB fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 3, 2017

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Uh, am I reading it wrong or do they in fact pay less tax than the self employed since they in fact don't pay the employer contributions? More tax is paid for their job yeah but they're not worse out of it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gum posted:

I once talked to someone who claimed to have voted leave because "Everything is done on computers now"

And don't get me started on loving wheelie bins. :mad: When's the last time a bin man in this country did a proper bastard day's graft?!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I thought taxes on dividends were a component of income tax.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

baka kaba posted:

The leadership of the top two parties has historically indulged in the exact same rhetoric though, arguably for longer than Farage. It's not like he bent the narrative to his whim, he just helped pull it along, and stood to benefit the most from everything going to poo poo

He's definitely got media skills, even before UKIP was popular he was pretty much guarantee a spot on any news report about anything if he wanted it. But the Tories and Labour to an extent set the scene and legitimised this scapegoating, UKIP was just more committed to running with it

He makes sure his voice is heard on every issue. I think the BBC gave more airtime to his EU Parliament appearance than anything else that day.

baka kaba posted:

Hell maybe Boris Johnson is the most successful - he's credited with starting the whole 'lie about the bonkers EU' strain of journalism that completely took over and shaped people's views of what the EU actually does. What did he say, he enjoyed throwing these reports over the channel and hearing the crash on the other side? Well he definitely went big on that in the end

He was definitely responsible for the £350m figure that was so callous that even Farage disassociated himself with him as soon as he could, so yeah, maybe.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Maybe Paul Nuttall can go back to the time honoured tradition of blaming the jewish media for his inevitable poor performance

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MikeCrotch posted:

Maybe Paul Nuttall can go back to the time honoured tradition of blaming the jewish media for his inevitable poor performance

Would probably help UKIP's performance with the NUS vote.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

crispix posted:

And don't get me started on loving wheelie bins. :mad: When's the last time a bin man in this country did a proper bastard day's graft?!

I hate that when they do decide to graft a bit, they do it at 7 am. Means I get woke up at least 3 hours early every fuckin' Monday.

Bastards.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Dead Goon posted:

I hate that when they do decide to graft a bit, they do it at 7 am. Means I get woke up at least 3 hours early every fuckin' Monday.

Bastards.

BASTARDS!! Just bastards :mad:

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Brexit happened because I got drunk and then my girlfriend yelled at me and when I woke up there was a marshmallow in my shoe. Eurocrats let this happen. Not in my name.

I voted remain

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
My Gran probably voted Brexit, she got really upset when a bunch of MUSLIM women were seen at the doctor before her.

Apparently my point that they were probably also British and might have, you know, booked before her was just me being wrong

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought taxes on dividends were a component of income tax.

There's a new tax on dividends from last April!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MikeCrotch posted:

My Gran probably voted Brexit, she got really upset when a bunch of MUSLIM women were seen at the doctor before her.

Apparently my point that they were probably also British and might have, you know, booked before her was just me being wrong

My dear old gran voted to Leave because, (and this is what she told me) "I haven't trusted the Germans since 1939."

Curiously enough, the more racist of my two grandmothers voted to Remain, because she said that while she didn't agree with the EU, she felt that she was too old for it to matter to her for much longer :smith:.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

My dear old gran voted to Leave because, (and this is what she told me) "I haven't trusted the Germans since 1939."

Curiously enough, the more racist of my two grandmothers voted to Remain, because she said that while she didn't agree with the EU, she felt that she was too old for it to matter to her for much longer :smith:.

I wish more old people had this mentality tbh

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
On Corbyn and sexuality as choice: most queer theorists would agree with him. That said, that's a nuanced as gently caress position and it's pretty necessary to adopt the argument that it's nature when facing the public to defend from the poo poo we face from bigots.

Ideally though yeah, the way to fight that is "it's perfectly acceptable and you're a ballbag" rather than going down the nature/nurture bit.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's always a shock to learn that democracy means that other people have a vote as well. Only solution is to buy a remote island somewhere and declare independence.

E: my 67 year old dad voted leave because he has a doctorate in economics, and believes that the trade deals we have with the EU are far too restrictive and long term we will be better off trading with countries outside of the EU.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

HJB posted:

Quote on the Victoria Derbyshire show: "Some parts of the UK are experiencing outbreaks of tuberculosis that are higher than much poorer countries like Yemen and Iraq."

I was surprised by this, so i had a look for the numbers.
Not only is it true, it's been true for at least a decade:

http://www.economist.com/node/10443168

As that article points out, rickets is the other Victorian disease making a comeback

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nationalists' meeting raided by balaclava gang 'dressed like special forces' with guns

A gathering of 'far right nationalists' in a village social centre was raided by suspected anti-fascists who allegedly fired air guns, threw chairs and swung fire extinguishers.

Terrified onlookers were forced to barricade themselves inside as the balaclava-clad gang, dressed like a 'special forces unit', smashed the windows of Almondsbury Sports and Social Centre and attacked members of the meeting.

Three people were left injured after the raid against the group, said to be called the 'Bristol Forum', which one person said was formed of nationalists.

"By the way [the attackers] acted they gave the impression they'd done this sort of thing before and their silence, dress and general 'professionalism' added to the sense of menace'," said Mr Romilly, who lives in Plymouth but attended the meeting with a friend.

He said the meeting was made up of people who 'discriminate in favour of [their] own people'.

Mr Romilly described how the chaos unfolded at about 3pm on Saturday, January 7, one hour after the meeting started.

"I was asking one of the speakers a question, then there was a sound like a rifle shot and the first window glass splintered, shards of glass scattering over the place where the speaker had been sitting moments before," he said.

"This was followed by a series of sharp cracks as a succession of windows were broken by a fire extinguisher and by chairs brought up from a lower floor.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/villag...tail/story.html

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OzyMandrill posted:

There's a new tax on dividends from last April!

Oh, that. I know about that, I'm just not accustomed to seeing it counted as a completely separate thing from income tax.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
won't somebody please think of the poor defenceless fascists

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

MikeCrotch posted:

won't somebody please think of the poor defenceless fascists

I know they're shits but bringing up chairs from another floor to break windows? :catstare:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I mean, I feel bad for the sports centre, they're nice and host some of the local LAN parties

but maybe they shouldn't host fascists too

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"suspected anti-fascists" quite a long list of suspects then.

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

My granddad (88 years old) has the same mentality - he's said that he will never trust the Germans and asked recently if the French really are friends with them.

Both him and my nana voted leave mainly because they think that the NHS is failing due to immigrants. They don't actually know anything about the EU other than Neil Kinnock getting a well paid job out of it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last year the NHS spent the same amount on treating people not entitled to use the NHS as they did on pens.

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Last year the NHS spent the same amount on treating people not entitled to use the NHS as they did on pens.

Any source for that? It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
While I wouldn't propose layers of bureaucracy to deal with the relatively small problem of health tourism I don't think it should be ignored as doing so would naturally lead to it becoming an increasing problem, and will erode people's confidence in the NHS model.

Ideally only people entitled to treatment - either by being a British tax payer, coming from a country with a reciprocal agreement or having private means if reimbursement - should be treated by the NHS.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

learnincurve posted:

E: my 67 year old dad voted leave because he has a doctorate in economics, and believes that the trade deals we have with the EU are far too restrictive and long term we will be better off trading with countries outside of the EU.

The Guardian's economics editor also made a similar claim, although he apparently ranted about Stalinism in his declaration.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pissflaps posted:

While I wouldn't propose layers of bureaucracy to deal with the relatively small problem of health tourism I don't think it should be ignored as doing so would naturally lead to it becoming an increasing problem, and will erode people's confidence in the NHS model.

I know what you mean. I mean the lack of attention and focus on the issue since the NHS's inception have led to a state of it being massively overused by health tourists as opposed to UK nationals in tyool 2017 and... oh wait.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the notion of health tourism is a bit ridiculous really, you'd have to be coming from further afield than Europe really and if you could afford to do that then you probably have enough cash to afford healthcare.

theoretically the most likely place that health tourists would come from would be America, but most Americans have no concept of free healthcare so they don't.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kokoro Wish posted:

I know what you mean. I mean the lack of attention and focus on the issue since the NHS's inception have led to a state of it being massively overused by health tourists as opposed to UK nationals in tyool 2017 and... oh wait.

How about we pull back from the hyperbole and sarcasm a moment and agree that health tourism is a relatively small problem that has received relatively small attention and been countered with relatively small measures? But at the same time it not a problem we would want to see get worse?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

the notion of health tourism is a bit ridiculous really, you'd have to be coming from further afield than Europe really and if you could afford to do that then you probably have enough cash to afford healthcare.

The NHS does spend money on treating patients it can't recover the costs for so it does happen. The cost of a plane ticket is a lot less than healthcare.

Living in the US you must be aware of this?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

pinkacidbootson posted:

Any source for that? It wouldn't surprise me at all.

I do not have the source for that one to hand, but it's £200,000,000 . Where the selective use of the figures comes in is that the NHS may spend X amount on dem furrens, but they do get Y back. Papers report X but conveniently forget about Y. I do have a interesting report on NHS spending bookmarked though: page 42 talks about 2 billion on consumables which includes stationary.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/499229/Operational_productivity_A.pdf

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

learnincurve posted:

I do not have the source for that one to hand, but it's £200,000,000 . Where the selective use of the figures comes in is that the NHS may spend X amount on dem furrens, but they do get Y back. Papers report X but conveniently forget about Y. I do have a interesting report on NHS spending bookmarked though: page 42 talks about 2 billion on consumables which includes stationary.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/499229/Operational_productivity_A.pdf

According to BBC newsnight the total spent on 'foreign patients' is £1 billion with £200 million spent on non recoverable 'health tourists'.

Though it's not just foreign people - British people who live elsewhere aren't necessarily entitled to free healthcare.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zephro posted:

Not only is it true, it's been true for at least a decade:

http://www.economist.com/node/10443168

As that article points out, rickets is the other Victorian disease making a comeback

There were posters up when I was at uni over 20 years ago talking about the return of TB.

Rickets is slightly less surprising. It's caused by a deficiency of vitamin D, so eating bad food and getting no sunlight puts you at risk.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I once listened to a ex-pat from South Africa rant and rave about how he had paid his NI stamps while living in SA for 30 years and was SHOCKED AND DISCUSTED when he turned up in the UK asking for a heart operation and the NHS told him to gently caress off. "I'VE PAID IN ALL MY LIFE AND THEY GET TO TURN UP HERE RIGHT OF THE BOATS AND GET FREE TREATMENT" and so on and so forth.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I used to share a flat with two doctors and they constantly had me stealing pens for them from my work because there were none available in hospitals, so I think questions need to be asked about where these £200m worth of pens are going.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

According to BBC newsnight the total spent on 'foreign patients' is £1 billion with £200 million spent on non recoverable 'health tourists'.

Though it's not just foreign people - British people who live elsewhere aren't necessarily entitled to free healthcare.

For 2015/16, the overall NHS budget was around £116.4 billion.

health Tourism is not even 0.2% of the overall budget.

we spent over 10 billion on an abandoned IT system.

there are other places to look for making the NHS more efficient and saving cash if you must do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

I once listened to a ex-pat from South Africa rant and rave about how he had paid his NI stamps while living in SA for 30 years and was SHOCKED AND DISCUSTED when he turned up in the UK asking for a heart operation and the NHS told him to gently caress off. "I'VE PAID IN ALL MY LIFE AND THEY GET TO TURN UP HERE RIGHT OF THE BOATS AND GET FREE TREATMENT" and so on and so forth.

haha whoops, he didn't think to check at any point?

• Locked thread