Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

exquisite tea posted:

All the original great beat-em ups were conceived out of 80s zeitgeist fears of organized crime and urban decay, now in today's political climate I think the opportunity is there for a modern revival where you beat down nazis and corporate shills with razor-lined briefcases.

I'd buy that for a pretty penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

All the original great beat-em ups were conceived out of 80s zeitgeist fears of organized crime and urban decay, now in today's political climate I think the opportunity is there for a modern revival where you beat down nazis and corporate shills with razor-lined briefcases.

This just made me think of a sequel to Liberal Crime Squad where you play as The Liberal Elite and pay protesters and maybe it's a real-time strategy game about using ~*~violent protests~*~ to disrupt True Conservative America? I dunno, I'm spitballing here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Healbot posted:

I'd buy that for a pretty penny.

*zenny

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

Totally would be down for this.

Final Fight's next game should be this. The mayor of Earth suplexing nazis.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Rexroom posted:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753235853?page=3#post-58

Is Overwatch still using the dual sticks only control scheme?

The xim/controller split is real and it kinda sucks. Most of the CoD goons I play with use the xim and they wreck. I occasionally top leaderboards but it's rare. Though I guess tbf, stux is a top tier cod goon and uses a gamepad.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Make a god sim where you are given control of the almighty POTUS twitter account.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I doubt anyone who reads this thread wouldn't already know about it but Pillars of Eternity 2 was announced formally and has a kick starter on fig here that is already at about 190% of the funding goal. Pretty neat for CRPG fans.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Wasn't PoE2 already fully funded and they were just doing the thing on fig for more cash?

I like Obsidian and their games a lot but poo poo like "well if we get 100k more dollars we'll do more voiceover than we planned!! seems kinda dumb.

Oh we got x dollars I guess we can increase the level cap arbitrarily!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looking forward to reading more paragraphs of some turbonerd's embarrassing D&D roleplay.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Fire Emblem heroes is good and fun. Repeatedly murdering the dumb characters from fates and loli dragons with the OG green cavalier and friends is cool and good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

suuma posted:

Wasn't PoE2 already fully funded and they were just doing the thing on fig for more cash?

I like Obsidian and their games a lot but poo poo like "well if we get 100k more dollars we'll do more voiceover than we planned!! seems kinda dumb.

Oh we got x dollars I guess we can increase the level cap arbitrarily!

Essentially what they were crowdfunding was adding multiclassing to the game, along with having a French and German translation at launch. I'd guess they figured "it'll cost us another $1.1 million to add these things" and that was the crowdfunding goal. After that, it's basically, "what can we do with more money?" Add another $200,000 worth of voice acting? Sure, why not. Spend more development resources developing, writing, and voicing a new companion? Okay.

My read on it was that, if they didn't meet their crowdfunding goal, they would have had the funding to release Pillars of Eternity 2, but the crowdfunding lets them add new stuff.

Either that or it's a cynical ploy to gauge consumer interest, what do I know?

exquisite tea posted:

Looking forward to reading more paragraphs of some turbonerd's embarrassing D&D roleplay.

Pillars of Eternity is good :colbert:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The crowdfunding could also assist obsidian if they want to move towards publishing in-house. Something the devs have talked about, mentioning CDProjekt as an inspiration.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tyranny definitely felt like it would have benefited a lot from extra development time, so if self-publishing helps em make that time it would be cool and good.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Does PoE do anything that interesting or is it 100% medieval fantasy europe all the way through? Because I tried to play it when it came out and I got to the first town and found out I'd be spending the next several hours dealing with like, a mean lord of fantasy village, and my eyes glazed over. I'm glad the sequel has gone for a different setting.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

exquisite tea posted:

[matrix loading room scene gun scene but it's all your dragon age posts]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Red Bones posted:

Does PoE do anything that interesting or is it 100% medieval fantasy europe all the way through? Because I tried to play it when it came out and I got to the first town and found out I'd be spending the next several hours dealing with like, a mean lord of fantasy village, and my eyes glazed over. I'm glad the sequel has gone for a different setting.

No and it's made worse by every new area being accompanied by a Lord Infodump who drops 21 paragraphs of lore on you within the opening minutes of each zone.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It has some interesting history/lore poo poo but it does suffer from being incredibly dry

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PoE introduces a fictional premise then subverts that fictional premise, and whether or not you care depends on your predisposition towards fictional premises

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red Bones posted:

Yes and no. The "mean lord of fantasy village" thing is actually an early-game side quest and the actual important part is everything you're learning about the Hollowborn during that. You're free to ignore it and move on. Act 2 takes place in a much larger city and is mostly about faction politics and whether or not it's cool to do science using people's souls, and then the third act gets all "the true nature of the gods" and poo poo.

The White March expansions have more interesting main plots, I think, but PoE definitely goes beyond "there is an evil lord and he is being a dick to his town of mud farmers" pretty early.

That said, the setting is your standard fields-and-forests pseudo-European fantasy. There are some weirder elements under the surface but by and large that's what the Dyrwood is all about. I agree that it's a very good thing it's moving to another part of the world for the sequel. The Deadfire Archipelago is all about inhospitable islands with crazy climates, giant sea monsters, pseudo-Inuit dwarves, and big seafaring dudes with shark teeth. They apparently want to make factions a bigger deal and make them matter throughout the whole game instead of just in the middle, too.

exquisite tea posted:

No and it's made worse by every new area being accompanied by a Lord Infodump who drops 21 paragraphs of lore on you within the opening minutes of each zone.

PoE2 is (thankfully) stealing Tyranny's "hover over highlighted words for lore" thing to help prevent infodumps, especially for returning players who are going to know a lot of it already.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 3, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Never forget: one of Metal Gear Solid's major installments had a villain named Hot Coldman

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The villain of Final Fantasy Adventure is just named Dark Lord.

And then they remade that game and gave everyone a ton of dialog and tried to make the characters less 1 dimensional but left him with the name Dark Lord and people wondering if he was going to do something evil.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lizard Wizard posted:

Never forget: one of Metal Gear Solid's major installments had a villain named Hot Coldman

Still waiting on Yes Noman and In Outman.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nasgate posted:

Fire Emblem heroes is good and fun. Repeatedly murdering the dumb characters from fates and loli dragons with the OG green cavalier and friends is cool and good.

I uninstalled it after 10 minutes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

The villain of Final Fantasy Adventure is just named Dark Lord.

And then they remade that game and gave everyone a ton of dialog and tried to make the characters less 1 dimensional but left him with the name Dark Lord and people wondering if he was going to do something evil.

There is a villain in Tecmo's (extremely weird and bad) Secret of the Stars named Badbad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How difficult is it to get 100% compendium in SMTIV Apocalypse? I know the original had a few demons locked behind NG+ cycles but I was curious if Apocalypse did as well, but this is the first time in my life I've been let down by GameFAQs. Not a single entry for Apocalypse.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

There hasn't been a beat 'em up worthy of the title since like, that fan remake of Streets of Rage 2.

Dunno when that came out but I had a blast with the Scott Pilgrim beat `em up back on the 360.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

exquisite tea posted:

There hasn't been a beat 'em up worthy of the title since like, that fan remake of Streets of Rage 2.

Was that before or after Castle Crashers? That game was pretty good.

Nasgate posted:

I'm bitter because that game got an android release out of the box and I'm still waiting for super mario run

Lizard Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6m1_i1neoI

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3jXx6p4aEY&hd=1&t=10s

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I downloaded Fire Emblem Heroes but I honestly don't see myself playing a lot of it because I really, really hate gacha games. I understand you gotta make money somehow but I've never found a gacha game that I felt like I could have fun with without either a) uninstalling and reinstalling to reroll my initial pull for literal hours or b) spending money on essentially gambling.

There are gacha games out there that I'd spend like $20 upfront to have a version without gacha mechanics. Like, Terra Battle? That game's fun as hell, but the gacha poo poo just kills it for me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

In Ninja Warriors you are a Robot Ninja and you must stop the bad guy who is some kinda corrupt tyrant with an evil government/corporation/loosely affiliated group of evil municipalities (it's not super-clear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSsnf0BOWc

Close, but not quite...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I downloaded Fire Emblem Heroes but I honestly don't see myself playing a lot of it because I really, really hate gacha games. I understand you gotta make money somehow but I've never found a gacha game that I felt like I could have fun with without either a) uninstalling and reinstalling to reroll my initial pull for literal hours or b) spending money on essentially gambling.

There are gacha games out there that I'd spend like $20 upfront to have a version without gacha mechanics. Like, Terra Battle? That game's fun as hell, but the gacha poo poo just kills it for me.

Those aren't video games, they're glorified gambling machines that don't pay out and they should be illegal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I uninstalled it after 10 minutes

Same

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Even without the gacha crap, the maps I played were exceptionally dull and you could only field 4 characters (lol). They also decided not to get a good character artist for some reason.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Those aren't video games, they're glorified gambling machines that don't pay out and they should be illegal.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

exquisite tea posted:

This was why I liked Double Dragon Neon, it had the fidelity of a modern game (polygonal characters on hand-drawn backdrops) but the aesthetic was a knowing wink towards 80s pop culture and games without becoming a Kung Fury monkey cheese smorgasbord.

Chomp8645 posted:

Still waiting on Yes Noman and In Outman.

Colonel Campbell's military friends General Specific and Private Public

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

Even without the gacha crap, the maps I played were exceptionally dull and you could only field 4 characters (lol). They also decided not to get a good character artist for some reason.

Yeah, and with a series with pretty great sprite/animation work for the little encounters, there was 0 of that in the tutorial I played.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nasgate posted:

It's really not great but I've played so many terrible f2p hero collecting games that even "not enragingly bad" is enough to satisfy me.

Also I pulled Camilla and Abel who are just destroying everything in sight

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

They half are, Japan outlawed one particularly egregious form a few years ago and all the F2P mobile companies hastily patched it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You know you're an rear end in a top hat when your video game is so terrible that sovereign nations start passing laws against it.

• Locked thread