Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like Watchmen has actually gone down in esteem over the years, when it first came out it got some very positive reviews, including a 4-star one from Ebert, but nobody really seems to remember that.

Really? I feel like I've seen more people have positive things to say about it as time has gone on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the two major nerd reactions to watchmen when it first released that i remember were 'wow i can't believe how faithful it is to the comic' and 'wow i can't believe how unfaithful it is to the comic by removing the psychic squid monster'

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

the two major nerd reactions to watchmen when it first released that i remember were 'wow i can't believe how faithful it is to the comic' and 'wow i can't believe how unfaithful it is to the comic by removing the psychic squid monster'

see I recall the prevailing reaction at the time being "Well, it's a lot better than it could've been," but over time, particularly after Snyder's Superman movies, those same people got a lot less forgiving.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ugh, god damnit.

This is much more upsetting to me than I think it should be.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I actually gave Watchmen another go maybe a month or two ago and I still really dig it. Outside of Malin Akerman, that's a pretty near perfect cast all the way around.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

I actually gave Watchmen another go maybe a month or two ago and I still really dig it. Outside of Malin Akerman, that's a pretty near perfect cast all the way around.

I don't really care for it but it's the one Snyder movie I agree is visually gorgeous.

edit: please don't start throwing batman vs superman screenshots at me to objectively prove that it is gorgeous

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't really care for it but it's the one Snyder movie I agree is visually gorgeous.

edit: please don't start throwing batman vs superman screenshots at me to objectively prove that it is gorgeous

It is.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think part of the increased appreciation for Watchmen has to do with the superhero film landscape finally catching up to what the comics were doing 30 years ago. More people "get" the Nite Owls' relationship thanks to Ant Man, Laurie & Manhattan have shades of Wanda & Vision, the Comedian is very Winter Soldier, and Ozymandias is what might happen to Iron Man if he didn't have people calling him on his bullshit all the time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

*closes folder "BvS Caps for Boogey"* dammit

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like Watchmen has actually gone down in esteem over the years, when it first came out it got some very positive reviews, including a 4-star one from Ebert, but nobody really seems to remember that.

I like Watchmen decently, and I don't really get why people's esteem of it has dropped so sharply. Is it as good as the comic? gently caress no. Is it also pretty much the best adaptation of the comic we could ever reasonably get? Yep.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MacheteZombie posted:

Really? I feel like I've seen more people have positive things to say about it as time has gone on.

I liked it from its release, and I also liked the comics when I read them in the 80s.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
People have totally been making GBS threads on Watchmen lately, and pretty much the only reason I can figure is that it shares a lot of stylistic elements with BvS and people who hated BvS have to find Snyder's "original sin."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Until Doomsday shows up anyway.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

You know what, I wanna see Saulnier direct a non-fiction or graphic memoir comic. Let him do Safe Area Gorazde, let him really stretch his legs.

Saulnier should do a movie adaptation of Invincible and make it just as graphic.

And if you're wondering about the outcome of the fight.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I'm curious about watching BvS as just a Batman movie (removing Superman-only scenes) and just a Superman movie (removing Batman-only scenes), and seeing if each separately still works. Batman wouldn't see Lois Lane until the very end, and Superman wouldn't meet Wonder Woman until even closer to the end. Scenes like the US Capitol explosion might be interesting without Batman's reaction or with ONLY Batman's reaction.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Ultimate Cut of Watchmen is actually pretty amazing. It's 3 hours and 35 drat minutes long plus includes the animated feature integrated in the film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hollismason posted:

The Ultimate Cut of Watchmen is actually pretty amazing. It's 3 hours and 35 drat minutes long plus includes the animated feature integrated in the film.

The Black Freighter segment is awful, though. The director's cut is absolutely the way to go with Watchmen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

The Black Freighter segment is awful, though. The director's cut is absolutely the way to go with Watchmen.

That was something I was really hoping Snyder would have directed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm curious about watching BvS as just a Batman movie (removing Superman-only scenes) and just a Superman movie (removing Batman-only scenes), and seeing if each separately still works. Batman wouldn't see Lois Lane until the very end, and Superman wouldn't meet Wonder Woman until even closer to the end. Scenes like the US Capitol explosion might be interesting without Batman's reaction or with ONLY Batman's reaction.

Holy poo poo, great idea.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I like Watchmen decently, and I don't really get why people's esteem of it has dropped so sharply. Is it as good as the comic? gently caress no. Is it also pretty much the best adaptation of the comic we could ever reasonably get? Yep.

I liked the original plan to make it contemporary, and have it be directed by the guy who did Bourne Supremacy

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Timby posted:

Correction, Tales from the Black Freighter is good on its own accord. But, yeah, it's interpolation in the Ultimate cut is pretty heinous.

Violator
May 15, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Saulnier should do a movie adaptation of Invincible and make it just as graphic.

And if you're wondering about the outcome of the fight.

Man, the comic is rough. I happened to pick it up while killing time at a comic shop and was shocked. If I remember correctly, the main teenage character is fighting his space dad and in the process breaks both of his own hands and keeps punching and fighting with the compound fractured stumps. The whole idea is he can sustain horrific damage but can't die? I haven't read it in great detail, but weren't like the first 50 issues or something a standard teen super hero drama with no gore?

Violator
May 15, 2003

drat, those look real.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Violator posted:

Man, the comic is rough. I happened to pick it up while killing time at a comic shop and was shocked. If I remember correctly, the main teenage character is fighting his space dad and in the process breaks both of his own hands and keeps punching and fighting with the compound fractured stumps. The whole idea is he can sustain horrific damage but can't die? I haven't read it in great detail, but weren't like the first 50 issues or something a standard teen super hero drama with no gore?

No it was extremely gory from the end of the first story arc.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Violator posted:

It's more like the first five, then it gets crazy.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, Watchmen is one of those thing that is so connected with its medium that it would be really hard into a truly classic movie, but Snyder gave as good a shot as anyone could have. I always say that regardless of how much you like the movie, it's easy to think that it's the best Watchmen movie possible.

In other news, Doug Benson is the voice of Bane in Lego Batman, which is really really funny to me and a very small segment of other people.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Invincible is cartoonishly gory, far more so than Kirkman's other, more famous series

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!
I'm not sure if there's anyone working in comics who I find less interesting than Kirkman.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm not sure if there's anyone working in comics who I find less interesting than Kirkman.

He's extremely bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know what I love about Invincible?

How it's so over the top violent and gory and unnecessarily bloody and not a single bit of nudity and no swearing.

If it was at all self aware I'd swear it was commentary on something

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Burkion posted:

You know what I love about Invincible?

How it's so over the top violent and gory and unnecessarily bloody and not a single bit of nudity and no swearing.

If it was at all self aware I'd swear it was commentary on something

so it's american media values: the comic

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I started reading Kirkman's Wolfman because I dug the art, and it was almost impressive how each new issue was worse than the one before.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hodgepodge posted:

He is an interesting experiment in being deliberately mediocre. Sue Grafton is less paint by numbers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I enjoyed the animated Tales of the Black Freighter :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

I enjoyed the animated Tales of the Black Freighter :(

If that's the case might I recommend you give Justice League Dark a watch? Should be right up your alley.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's just mean Drifter

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drifter posted:

If that's the case might I recommend you give Justice League Dark a watch? Should be right up your alley.

Don't be lovely.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Justice League Dark is fine as long as you treat it as a long lost Justice League episode or something, but it does not stand as a movie. The fight scenes are interesting though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shageletic posted:

Very cool that they're keeping with the Maori theme in Aquaman.

Except for Amber Heard I guess.

All the Atlanteans that have been casted in the movie are caucasian: Amber Head as Mera, Patrick Wilson as Orm, and Willem Dafoe as Vulko. But yes, it's pretty cool that they're making Arthur Curry half Polynesian, half Atlantean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The original Black Freighter wasn't like ground breaking or anything I thought it was a pretty faithful adaptation.

I find it more impressive that they actually filmed it.

• Locked thread