Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well fighters must adhere to realism and it's clearly not realistic because you don't see anyone on Game of Thrones tying swords to their wrists!

I'm okay with magic in D&D working like it does in GoT (as in, it kind of doesn't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm okay with magic in D&D working like it does in GoT (as in, it kind of doesn't)

Hey now, what's wrong with giving birth to shadow babies?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LotFP/status/825608453200674816

On the one hand, Zak S and James Raggi.

On the other hand, the ACLU.

Alternatively, C-SPAM is having its own ACLU donation-tracker: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807854

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/825910639654744065

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For all his failings, Raggi's stable includes cool & good people like Ken Hite. Qelong is pretty neat a setting if you're into (quite literal!) fantasy loving Vietnam.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Siivola posted:

For all his failings, Raggi's stable includes cool & good people like Ken Hite. Qelong is pretty neat a setting if you're into (quite literal!) fantasy loving Vietnam.

This I will agree on. Qelong is cool and good (and strong, and my friend).

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I might be running a solo game (L5R) for someone soonish. I've never run a solo game, anyone have advice? I think it can work, but I'm not certain how I want to approach it.

I've been running Basic D&D solo for a friend of mine, and it's been fun. Even though it's been a couple of sessions thus far, here's one really simple piece of advice: solo games should be much more player-driven. With a large group it's understandable to have more GM-driven adventures, because taking into consideration every player's wishes for where the game should go is hard.

To ease prep I suggest simply asking your player where they want to go and what they want to do, and pretty much close each session with "What do you think you'll be doing next time?" so you can prep your next session as appropriate.

One of the greatest benefits of solo games is that since you don't have to divide table time between multiple players you can use whatever messy subsystems that your game of choice has for different character types or activities even if in group play they would be really aggravating because they give certain characters inordinate amounts of attention during those activities. I'm not familiar with L5R, but I'm pretty sure it has at least one activity written in that gets inordinate amounts of page-space dedicated to it, and in a solo game you can go hog wild and use it without having to worry about the rest of your players falling asleep while you resolve that activity. (I would imagine that L5R would have some kind of an involved system for katanas-at-dawn iaijutsu duels.)

And yeah, related to solo games being perfect for player-driven games, you can make the stakes more personal in a solo game. With a multi player group it's hard to keep the stakes personal for every character, because each character will have their own personal goals and desires, but in a solo game you only have one character's goals to worry about.

e: Oh, and if L5R doesn't already have a system in place for a single character being able to stand up to multiple enemies at once by having damage overflow to multiple opponents at once or something, you should probably hack one in. In normal group-based games every player is bringing a separate attack to the table, but with a single character having to deal with each enemy separately with the possibility of whiffing each attack can easily lead to frustration. Plus, cool samurai dudes slashing multiple enemies in twain with a single stroke feels very in-genre to me.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 30, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Also Vincent Baker wrote him a book about wizards' towers, that one's probably neat as well.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Siivola posted:

Also Vincent Baker wrote him a book about wizards' towers, that one's probably neat as well.

I have said book and it's alright, I guess? It's a neat book for adding color to your adventures if you've already got a wizard's tower mapped out and such and you need help with coming up with hooks for who the wizard is, what kind of crazy magical experiments they have been working on, and what manner of guests they were entertaining at their tower before things went south (the book assumes that the wizard, for whatever reason, has become unable to keep their tower in order and that things have degraded to a situation where their experiments and creations are running around while the guests and servants of the tower are also somehow unable to leave).

It also injects a bit of weird flavor into how magic works: spells themselves are plasmids, spiritual entities made out of the purest essence of magic, and the process of a Magic-User memorizing and casting spells is described as a process of trapping a plasmid in your mind and then releasing them into the world. It's also got great ideas for what kind of weird magic items and constructions you might find in a wizard's tower, like a portal to prehistoric earth which allows for astrally projecting to go and hang out with dinosaurs before they became extinct or something.

e: What the book is specifically bad for is helping you with mapping and stocking your towers. Even the stats of the various monsters and NPCs to be found in the tower are left up to the DM and there's very little advice on the mechanical side of things. It's still an interesting read and I've gotten some good ideas out of it.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 30, 2017

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I finally got to play Warhammer Fantasy RPG tonight, and holy poo poo what a cavalcade of genius ideas.

Man, I should have played this years ago.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ratpick posted:

I've been running Basic D&D solo for a friend of mine, and it's been fun. Even though it's been a couple of sessions thus far, here's one really simple piece of advice: solo games should be much more player-driven. With a large group it's understandable to have more GM-driven adventures, because taking into consideration every player's wishes for where the game should go is hard.

To ease prep I suggest simply asking your player where they want to go and what they want to do, and pretty much close each session with "What do you think you'll be doing next time?" so you can prep your next session as appropriate.

One of the greatest benefits of solo games is that since you don't have to divide table time between multiple players you can use whatever messy subsystems that your game of choice has for different character types or activities even if in group play they would be really aggravating because they give certain characters inordinate amounts of attention during those activities. I'm not familiar with L5R, but I'm pretty sure it has at least one activity written in that gets inordinate amounts of page-space dedicated to it, and in a solo game you can go hog wild and use it without having to worry about the rest of your players falling asleep while you resolve that activity. (I would imagine that L5R would have some kind of an involved system for katanas-at-dawn iaijutsu duels.)

And yeah, related to solo games being perfect for player-driven games, you can make the stakes more personal in a solo game. With a multi player group it's hard to keep the stakes personal for every character, because each character will have their own personal goals and desires, but in a solo game you only have one character's goals to worry about.

e: Oh, and if L5R doesn't already have a system in place for a single character being able to stand up to multiple enemies at once by having damage overflow to multiple opponents at once or something, you should probably hack one in. In normal group-based games every player is bringing a separate attack to the table, but with a single character having to deal with each enemy separately with the possibility of whiffing each attack can easily lead to frustration. Plus, cool samurai dudes slashing multiple enemies in twain with a single stroke feels very in-genre to me.
Thanks, this is all really helpful.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well fighters must adhere to realism and it's clearly not realistic because you don't see anyone on Game of Thrones tying swords to their wrists!

That's because it was the Japanese Samurai who did it. Where do you think Nintendo got the Wiimote wrist cord idea from?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis posted:

That's because it was the Japanese Samurai who did it. Where do you think Nintendo got the Wiimote wrist cord idea from?

Makes sense. Everyone knows samurai integrated years of wrist mouse flipping into their training routines.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: Blades in the Dark has released! :siren:

They're accepting book preorders for non-backers now as well, and it looks like the Early Access version was updated today too so I guess that's good to go?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Nice

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Strapping your sword to your wrist so you can throw a spear* and then quickly grab your sword before your opponent can react.

Egil's Saga, Chapter 60 posted:

And when he saw where Bergonund was, he unsheathed his sword, and, taking the coil of cord attached to the hilt, would it round his arm, and so let the sword hang. In his hand he grasped his halberd, and then ran forward to meet Bergonund. Which when Bergonund saw, he quickened his pace and cast his shield before him, and ere they met each hurled his halberd at the other.

Egil opposed the halberd with shield held aslant, so that the halberd with a cut tore out of the shield and flew into the ground. But Egil's weapon came full on the middle of the shield, and went right through it far up the blade, and the weapon was fast in the shield. Onund's shield was thus cumbersome. Then quickly did Egil grasp his sword-hilt. Onund also began to draw his sword; but ere it was half drawn Egil pierced him with a thrust. Onund reeled at the blow; but Egil suddenly snatched back his sword, and made a cut at Onund, well-nigh taking off his head. Then Egil took his halberd out of the shield.

:black101:

*This word is "halberd" in the English translation for some reason. In the original, Egil's polearm is variously called a "Höggspjót" or a "Kesja", which both mean "spear".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 30, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AlphaDog posted:

Strapping your sword to your wrist so you can throw a spear* and then quickly grab your sword before your opponent can react.

*This word is "halberd" in the English translation, but for some reason halberd is usually how translators of sagas refer to bladed polearms. In the original, Egil's polearm is variously called a "Höggspjót" or a "Kesja", which both mean "spear".
Must have had a Belt of Battle to give him that extra move action.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Must have had a Belt of Battle to give him that extra move action.

He must have got it early in his career, because he'd do that poo poo all the time.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

AlphaDog posted:

*This word is "halberd" in the English translation for some reason. In the original, Egil's polearm is variously called a "Höggspjót" or a "Kesja", which both mean "spear".

Moving that fast? Sounds like a wizard who cast haste on himself.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/peta-warhammer-fur-free/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a very specific thing I'm looking for: I'm dabbling in ordering POD books from DriveThruRPG, as I've discovered that shipping to here is quite reasonable. I just placed an order for Exemplars & Eidolons and Swords & Wizardry White Box.

Is there a d20/3e clone that's POD-able that you could recommend? Iron Heroes, 13th Age, and FantasyCraft are all PDF-only, and Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved is waaaay too rich for my blood (34.95 for softcover B&W!)

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a very specific thing I'm looking for: I'm dabbling in ordering POD books from DriveThruRPG, as I've discovered that shipping to here is quite reasonable. I just placed an order for Exemplars & Eidolons and Swords & Wizardry White Box.

Is there a d20/3e clone that's POD-able that you could recommend? Iron Heroes, 13th Age, and FantasyCraft are all PDF-only, and Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved is waaaay too rich for my blood (34.95 for softcover B&W!)

Radiance is an interesting 3.X clone that pulls a lot of ideas from the Star Wars SAGA Edition RPG.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gradenko_2000 posted:

Unless you want more OSR/Retroclones I can't really think of anything

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
2017 is looking good for me. Just had my "annual review" and got a 7.5% raise! :woop: And I have business cards now, which is pretty nifty.

Anyone else have good news to share?

Serf
May 5, 2011

*gazes out upon the blasted, cracked wasteland and the smog-choked skies. the shrieking and wailing of the damned is muffled by the thick haze of congealed despair and the only feature upon the desolate landscape is a titanic gold monument that simply reads: 2017*

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Serf posted:

*gazes out upon the blasted, cracked wasteland and the smog-choked skies. the shrieking and wailing of the damned is muffled by the thick haze of congealed despair and the only feature upon the desolate landscape is a titanic gold monument that simply reads: 2017*

:same:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Serf posted:

:same:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm listening to my drunk friend talk about his maritime Gnome empire so 2017 owns so far.

E: like he's created an entire setting where gnomes are an important historical force and colonialism is addressed properly and it loving owns

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 4, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I've legit never "clicked" with gnomes and I've never known where to really put them. Outside of 4e gnomes, they have the least traction and the fewest hooks to really utilize.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I finally got around to finishing DOOM 2016, does that count as good news? :shobon:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I finally got around to finishing DOOM 2016, does that count as good news? :shobon:

That's terrible news, you're out of DOOM!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

That's terrible news, you're out of DOOM!

There's still Arcade mode :getin:

Really though, I wanted to finally finish it so I could at least clear that off the backlog (and get back those 70+ GB), but I really do feel like the game made me better at FPS games.

Of course, anything else I play now is going to feel slow by comparison. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Of course, anything else I play now is going to feel slow by comparison. :(

Go play Doom 2 and its many mods.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've legit never "clicked" with gnomes and I've never known where to really put them. Outside of 4e gnomes, they have the least traction and the fewest hooks to really utilize.

Yeah, same here. I typically just excise them from a game completely as their roles can be filled by dwarves, halflings, and goblins or kobolds fairly easily. Assuming you're using standard D&D races. If you're not doing that, who gives a poo poo about gnomes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's because they're a mashup of elves and dwarves without any truly distinguishing traits of their own. Like they're kinda tech-flavored and kinda fairy-flavored and different media emphasize one or the other more, but basically they're just somehow even more derivative and boring than vanilla fantasy races already are.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

gnomes are cool in eberron

that's...that's about it

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Go play Doom 2 and its many mods.

Believe it or not, I've never actually played Doom 2. Or Doom 1, really. I never had a PC back in the day.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
DOOM 2016 has a lot of minutae you can work on whether you're just trying to be a completist or snapmaps or whatever. Myself, I tried out Wolfenstein afterwards and it seems so clunky in comparison. Still fairly good, but it sure has some clunky checkpointing.

I've said it before but I have always found "short people" as a separate species as a weird quirk of fantasy gaming, much less having multiple species of short people.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's because they're a mashup of elves and dwarves without any truly distinguishing traits of their own. Like they're kinda tech-flavored and kinda fairy-flavored and different media emphasize one or the other more, but basically they're just somehow even more derivative and boring than vanilla fantasy races already are.

Actually if gnomes were half-dwarf half-elf actually that would give them something special. It would really only work well if you had some kind of tech/magic divide or similar though.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
WoW had cool gnomes, I like the little tinker turds.
edit: except the goblins did the same thing only way better and are way cuter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ominous Jazz posted:

edit: except the goblins did the same thing only way better and are way cuter

got it in one

• Locked thread