Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm going to kill the DEEN is bad meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

littleorv posted:

I've never understood the "DEEN is bad" thing when Simoun exists? Like, it doesn't look like the world's best anime, and - I just googled and they did Rakugo! That is not bad anime! Say instead that they have a spotty track-record, which is true of all studios.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
deen has a ridiculously spotty record, spottier than most, and their shows almost always suffer from cheap animation, but they've always managed to occasionally put out some good stuff

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
allegaiance to any studio aside from historically extremely unchanging ones is a fool's errand

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rakugo looks fine, it is also not very exaggerated/stylish/animation-intensive outside of maybe the OP? Whereas Konsuba going for its whole energetic over the top shtick...well let's just say I can see the zippers on the back of the costumes in that one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
konosuba isn't pretty, but it makes more of an effort to work with its budget than most cheap deen shows

if you go way way way back there are some things deen's been involved with that had pretty solid animation, like the original patlabor ova and Read or Die: The OVA

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I choose to believe that Konosuba is probably popular enough that they could have justified spending the time/money to make S2 look better if they really wanted to, but decided that it's funnier as-is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They spent their animation budget on Darkness' boobs last episode

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good finished manga's I can read? I have been reading Angel Densetsu which I found out about in this forum and its a pretty fun read.

I normally go in the "Convince someone to read a manga with 1 panel" thread but a lot of the manga tend to be on going. I literally have so many manga I just put on hold because they are going on forever. I don't really like reading on going mangas sometimes I catch up but then I stop again with things like Berserk/One Piece/Vinland Saga.

Also is it against the rules to talk about online manga reader sites? I don't think there is any official service like Crunchyroll for Manga other than Crunchyroll or the Shounen Jump online but they contain only a few manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
People post links to bato.to or kissmanga all the time so yeah it's generally fine. But it's on CR those tend to get posted instead.

You ever read any Satoshi Mizukami? His main three series (Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, Sengoku Youko, and Spirit Circle) are all all excellent, don't overstay their welcome but have very satisfying finales.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Ulio posted:

Any good finished manga's I can read? I have been reading Angel Densetsu which I found out about in this forum and its a pretty fun read.

I normally go in the "Convince someone to read a manga with 1 panel" thread but a lot of the manga tend to be on going. I literally have so many manga I just put on hold because they are going on forever. I don't really like reading on going mangas sometimes I catch up but then I stop again with things like Berserk/One Piece/Vinland Saga.

Also is it against the rules to talk about online manga reader sites? I don't think there is any official service like Crunchyroll for Manga other than Crunchyroll or the Shounen Jump online but they contain only a few manga.

legend of the strongest man kurosawa

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
strongly seconding recs for kurosawa and biscuit hammer, they're two of my favorite mangas ever

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Onani Master Kurosawa

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

dont do this

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Do.

It's a great cumming of age story.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Onani Master Kurosawa is actually very good though? I tend to like Molester Man more, but both are very good.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i would also say onani master kurosawa is extremely good and worth reading, although i can understand why some people would be unable to get into it based on the premise.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Kurosawa is good but the fantasy scenes make it basically impossible to recommend to anyone.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Looks like even the translators were too embarrassed to translate the whole name.

I'm guessing "Wanking Master Kurosawa" would scare too many people away.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

No no i really doubt it. That said, the internet and world is a very different place when that came out and was the critical darling of adtrw. It'll speak to a certain kind if young anime dork, but i feel the the average age of adtrw has gone up and those sorta of people are probably gonna exist in some other warren.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What are the #1 animes for each age group

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I don't think anyone's "tricked" into reading Kurosawa by the fact that they didn't translate onani. I mean, folks call it Fap Note.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

To be clear, its a weirdly compelling and strangely heartfelt story and i really enjoy it but you gotta tailor that recommendation.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's a great story about a creeper growing up and becoming not, I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't turned off by anything sexual or offended by the idea of masturbation.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Kurosawa is good but the fantasy scenes make it basically impossible to recommend to anyone.

I don't remember much from Kurosawa, but if it's just a teenage dude having dumb sexual fantasies I don't think it's a big deal, not like the story presents him as anything but a doofus for most of it

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the manga about a 9th grader jerking off is good and fine but it is not as good as the manga about the 44 year old friendless loser construction worker who doesn't want to be a loser anymore and tries to gain the respect of his coworkers

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fap note is the best description of how it starts, but not how it ends.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Motto posted:

I don't remember much from Kurosawa, but if it's just a teenage dude having dumb sexual fantasies I don't think it's a big deal, not like the story presents him as anything but a doofus for most of it

It's uncomfortable as an adult looking at images of teenage girls being raped, even if the person having those fantasies is also a teen. I mean I read it and still think it's a good read but when I tried to reread it a few years ago those made me super uncomfortable.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's a great story about a creeper growing up and becoming not, I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't turned off by anything sexual or offended by the idea of masturbation.

this is how i usually recommend it to people. although i make sure to stress to people that the dude is a real awful creeper for a good while so it might be difficult to power through for the very worth it payoff.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
It does contain some pretty awful sexual harassment and aforementioned rape fantasies, there's a little more to it than "it's fine if you're not turned off by anything sexual."
I'd still recommend it though, it's a good story about a lovely guy becoming a less lovely guy.

Namtab posted:

Fap note is the best description of how it starts, but not how it ends.

What are you talking about, I loved the part when he revealed the tiny bottle of lube hidden in his watch.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I'm almost completely new to anime and i'd like to change that. Literally the only anime i've seen was Samurai Champloo, which i enjoyed but i'm looking for something different. I really, really loved Aeon Flux and i'm looking for anything that ticks off some of the same boxes that it did for me.

I really liked the dystopian universe, the gloominess, the experimental nature, the distinctive art style, the "outsider" aspects of it, the smartness, and just the weirdness.

Anything that captures half the spirit of it would probably be up my alley.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Erostratus posted:

I'm almost completely new to anime and i'd like to change that. Literally the only anime i've seen was Samurai Champloo, which i enjoyed but i'm looking for something different. I really, really loved Aeon Flux and i'm looking for anything that ticks off some of the same boxes that it did for me.

I really liked the dystopian universe, the gloominess, the experimental nature, the distinctive art style, the "outsider" aspects of it, the smartness, and just the weirdness.

It's not really anime, but if you liked Aeon Flux, check out The Maxx.

You might also enjoy Dead Leaves or Redline, although they're more manic than gloomy.

Mononoke is a series of loosely connected ghost stories; it's historical but the world is so messed up with ghosts that the overall effect is still pretty oppressive. The Hundred Stories / Requiem From the Darkness is good too, same kind of deal.

The Big O is a giant robot show that might as well be set in Gotham City, with a great sense of style. Some people hate the second season for how abstract it got but if you liked Aeon Flux you should be fine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Erostratus posted:

Ghost in the Shell (original movie or Stand Alone Complex are great), Ergo Proxy (maybe!), and hmmm, Serial Experiments Lain?

Also if you've seen Samurai Champloo, I'm obligated to recommend Cowboy Bebop. It's different, but outstanding.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Erostratus posted:

Serial Experiments Lain comes to mind when I hear the words "gloomy," "experimental," "outsider," and "weirdness." As does Kaiba, which throws in a distinctive art style. Really anything by Kaiba's director, Masaaki Yuasa, is probably going to fit that. Maybe start with his movie Mind Game, since it wouldn't be as much of a time commitment.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dire Lemming posted:

I loved the part when he revealed the tiny bottle of lube hidden in his watch.

I'm quite clearly talking about the ending.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erostratus posted:

Give Haibane Renmei a look. You might also like Psycho-Pass or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Also, it's a manga comic rather than an anime, but go check out BLAME! It'll suit your dystopian sci-fi interests to a tee, and there's a new print run now with large-print volumes containing two of the original volumes per.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Namtab posted:

I'm quite clearly talking about the ending.

You know I was going to say I was sure that (the non-joke equivalent) was part of the ending but then I realised that I last watched Death Note more than a third of my life ago so my memory of it probably isn't that good. I guess I have a recommendation of my own.

Erostratus posted:

I second Psycho-Pass, Ghost in the Shell and will add Shinsekai Yori (From the New World) which is pretty different from the other two but still fits the main points you mentioned.

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 13, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Erostratus posted:

Just adding my voice to the recommendations of Shin Sekai Yori and Lain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fap note goes from a guy making elaborate plans to leave him cumrags somewhere to get revenge for a girl to a look at how revenge can gently caress you up, so it's really only an appropriate title for the first half