Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

What ever ended up happening with Pathfinder Online? I remember that everything about it looked hilarious but I can't remember the last update I saw about it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

What ever ended up happening with Pathfinder Online? I remember that everything about it looked hilarious but I can't remember the last update I saw about it here.

Apparently it's still a thing?

https://goblinworks.com/blog/update-from-lisa/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

But without Ryan Dancey's bold, visionary marketing genius it has no possible hope of succeeding, of course.

Speaking of which what is nerdgaming's greatest huckster up to these days?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NorgLyle posted:

It's limping by but i don't think it's ever gotten out of closed beta and probably never will

Kai Tave posted:

But without Ryan Dancey's bold, visionary marketing genius it has no possible hope of succeeding, of course.

Speaking of which what is nerdgaming's greatest huckster up to these days?

He's back at Alderac for some reason

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It still gets incremental updates but remains unfinished. Goblinworks more or less keeps it on life support to avoid fan backlash, from what I can tell. Well, more fan backlash, anyway.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It managed the amazing task of getting put on maintenance mode before even getting officially released. Impressive really.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Last I heard there was an angel investor going to save the game any day now but they can't manage to scrounge up the capital. I can't believe any company would actually buy Goblinworks or PFO unless they got the video game rights to all of Golarion in the package though, and I doubt Lisa Stevens is willing to give those away just to get this pile of poo poo off of her desk.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

He's back at Alderac for some reason

lol, and they don't even own L5R anymore. Ryan Dancey's gonna have to find a way to gently caress up Love Letter instead.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe they can get Curt Schilling to bankroll it! :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

lol, and they don't even own L5R anymore. Ryan Dancey's gonna have to find a way to gently caress up Love Letter instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved in closing down L5R and Doomtown.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

*gazes out upon the blasted, cracked wasteland and the smog-choked skies. the shrieking and wailing of the damned is muffled by the thick haze of congealed despair and the only feature upon the desolate landscape is a titanic gold monument that simply reads: 2017*

FWIW C-SPAM is helping me deal with 2017.

You're nice person, Serf, and I hope your nihilism burns bright and vengeful always.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've legit never "clicked" with gnomes and I've never known where to really put them. Outside of 4e gnomes, they have the least traction and the fewest hooks to really utilize.

I had a really neat setting prompt involving some of the short fairy races lying around somewhere that I thought did Gnomes pretty well, let me go dig it up and I'll post it here

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

I had a really neat setting prompt involving some of the short fairy races lying around somewhere that I thought did Gnomes pretty well, let me go dig it up and I'll post it here

Found it, don't remember who originally wrote it(I do remember that I originally found it on RPGnet though) but I think it's pretty pretty good, been contemplating writing up an OSR variant game based on it(with some additions and changes though);

Which suggests a weird idea to me - humans as a big minor race in a setting. Here, we're the giants, and most of the world measures their height in inches (or apples or whatever). Humans live in relatively isolated villages, and walking into the wrong part of the forest means you could get a magical rapid-response team deployed to "subdue the giant".

* Pointy-capped gnomes live in homes carved out of tree-roots...when they aren't building cities (with spires fully twenty feet tall!) beside calmer rivers. They're smart, practical, and long-lived, though home-bodied and rather slow due to stodgy builds and lack of flight. Introducing urban living to a world of tiny (really tiny) villages and isolated homesteads has transformed life for the major races, putting gnomes in a far more prominent and active role than they had before.

* Bug-winged fairies sleep rough in forests - or they used to, before they could get apartments in those gnomish cities. They're fast, curious, and unreasonably brave, though ...variably dependable. Some of them make good wizards or gifted (if excitable and eager) military officers, but they're generally stereotyped as best in odd, independent jobs. Oddly, they tend to do well in politics if they can get someone to keep track of the details for them...

* Cunning, large-eared pixies sometimes lead travelers astray on dark roads...but they also have a reputation for being talented in many forms of magic, particularly an innate ability to teleport away when nobody's looking. They're also total fashion hounds, though a pixy's idea of "fashion" may be tailored spider-silk finery or a really bright, red ribbon wound around his body. Their behavior tends to extremes of cruel prankishness or hard-working, unasked benevolence, sometimes in the same pixy.

* Sprites rarely show up in cities, because they're not generally interested in them, being elemental in nature. Though they can (and prefer to) assume a humanoid form much like one of the other races when dealing with them, their true forms are little, animated figures of earth and rock, lily-leaf and water, cloud and wind, twig and leaf, or flame and embers. Though they're individually rather formidable, they don't organize beyond small band or tribes and are the least civilized of the major races; they're rarely magicians or crafters of magical items. This suits all but the most adventurous of them fine.

* Goblins lurk in the shadows of society. Gangly, rough, shaggy things, they're stereotyped (often accurately) as uncouth, barbaric, aggressive, and opportunistic, but other races will grudgingly admit that they're fiercely loyal to friends (and downright scary towards enemies). An overlooked aspect of their nature and/or culture is that they tend to learn fast and work very well with anyone willing to work with them; goblin workers are becoming more and more important in the construction of new "gnomish" cities, and some goblins want more than fringe existence out of the society they're helping build.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

FWIW C-SPAM is helping me deal with 2017.

You're nice person, Serf, and I hope your nihilism burns bright and vengeful always.

The only thing that sustains me now is spite.

Also whatup C-SPAM life-support buddy :hfive:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Yawgmoth posted:

2017 is looking good for me. Just had my "annual review" and got a 7.5% raise! :woop: And I have business cards now, which is pretty nifty.

Anyone else have good news to share?

I wouldn't call it news, but my injured leg seems to be slowly improving, and I have been gainfully employed for like 4.5 years at the same place now.
Also, I live in Canada so I get free healthcare, if I ever wanted to get my leg looked at by a doctor v:shobon:v

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
What if Trad Games pooled our money together and bought PFO? Goon project :getin:

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Ettin posted:

What if Trad Games pooled our money together and bought PFO? Goon project :getin:

Do we really need another Zybourne Clock?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Ettin posted:

someone go find warcabbit, they'll know exactly what to do to get this project off the grounhahaha

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mr.Misfit posted:

Do we really need another Zybourne Clock?

On the one hand Pathfinder Online actually made it to something approximating a playable stage. On the other hand it took over two million dollars for PFO to become a failure while Zybourne Clock managed to fail for free.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Believe it or not, I've never actually played Doom 2. Or Doom 1, really. I never had a PC back in the day.

Then you have even less of an excuse to not play Doom 2!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ettin posted:

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wish PFO on my worst enemy. Ryan Dancey said he knew how to keep the goons from trolling his game. Turns out he could!... by making a game so boring even goons couldn't be hosed to mess around with it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I think that buying PFO and slowly morphing it into using a 4E style combat system would be delicious.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ettin posted:

Well it can't be any worse than swap.avi

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I imagine the cat's cradle of code they have would be a nightmare. I mean, these are guys that, last I heard, still couldn't work out how to do enemy line of sight that doesn't pierce obstructions, preventing them from designing any real interior fights.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I imagine the cat's cradle of code they have would be a nightmare. I mean, these are guys that, last I heard, still couldn't work out how to do enemy line of sight that doesn't pierce obstructions, preventing them from designing any real interior fights.

Well it's Unity... but apparently nobody who worked on PFO had any idea how Unity worked. They probably should have hired programmers with actual Unity experience instead of whoever the hell they did (I'm assuming Dancey cronies who couldn't hack it at CCP).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Go play Doom 2 and its many mods.

I made a nice Doom WAD a few years ago and I keep working on it. You may know it as Brutal Doom and you should download it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kwyndig posted:

Well it's Unity... but apparently nobody who worked on PFO had any idea how Unity worked.

...I have no idea how Unity works, but I knew how to do raycasting LOS after about ten hours of poking. Like, that's not even 'didn't know Unity'. That's 'how do I turn on glowing box'.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

potatocubed posted:

...I have no idea how Unity works, but I knew how to do raycasting LOS after about ten hours of poking. Like, that's not even 'didn't know Unity'. That's 'how do I turn on glowing box'.

We're talking about people who were using procedural generation for a map, decided it was too resource intensive (for something in an MMO you'd do ONCE) and then switched halfway in the process to hand placing assets. Which somehow led to rivers that literally just stopped, water hovering in midair.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Plutonis posted:

I made a nice Doom WAD a few years ago and I keep working on it. You may know it as Brutal Doom and you should download it.

You're not nearly enough of an rear end in a top hat to be the Brutal Doom guy.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Doom Rogue like is pretty good, assuming you can still get your hands on it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rockopolis posted:

Doom Rogue like is pretty good, assuming you can still get your hands on it.

There's no reason why you shouldn't? The only thing that changed is now on google search results it's called "D**m: The Roguelike."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

You're not nearly enough of an rear end in a top hat to be the Brutal Doom guy.

Please don't talk poo poo about SgtMarkIV, one of the greatest Brazilians of all time alongside Josef Mengele and that general of the Paraguay war that slashed pregnant women wide open with his cavalry saber for fun.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kwyndig posted:

We're talking about people who were using procedural generation for a map, decided it was too resource intensive (for something in an MMO you'd do ONCE) and then switched halfway in the process to hand placing assets. Which somehow led to rivers that literally just stopped, water hovering in midair.

They also hadn't managed to implement full dungeons in a game based on a setting for their Dungeons and Dragons clone ttrpg.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Basically if Goblinworks actually spent any money on PFO beyond a stock license for their game engine I'd be really loving surprised. I'm guessing most of the KS funds they raised they blew on fancy chairs and parties or whatever, they certainly didn't spend it on hiring a competent team with shipped MMO experience.

Edit: I just thought of another possibility, a pretty shady one. Since it technically wasn't Paizo making it they could have charged a licensing fee to let Paizo just pocket as much of the KS funds as they wanted and be in the clear if any legal entanglements happened. I mean this whole time they've been trying to get a real company to bankroll it instead of themselves, Paizo has never had that kind of money or expertise to make even a single player game, so why try to go pie in the sky and develop an MMO in house unless they were utterly incompetent or up to something unethical.

I know, it's Ryan Dancey, it could have been either, or both.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 5, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I had any programming skill at all I'd troll people by making a fully functional PF CRPG

And then only put Dreamscarred classes in it :unsmigghh:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I legitimately can't remember if it's ever been stated anywhere, was the idea of doing a Pathfinder MMO Lisa Stevens' or Dancey's? Because I wonder if Stevens isn't kicking herself at missing a chance to jump on the isometric CRPG revival that's happened in the years since what with Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, the upcoming Numenera game, Wasteland 2, etc, and now she's stuck trying to spin poo poo into gold because if she simply washed her hands of the whole affair it would cause the suckers who bought into it to revolt.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My impression is that Dancey pitched the whole thing, possibly with a musical number: (Basically think the Monorail song from the Simpsons only with "Middleware" as the keyword). Lisa Stevens then spun it off into its own company for smart reasons until it blew up completely and they had to take ownership of the albatross.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

(Basically think the Monorail song from the Simpsons only with "Middleware" as the keyword)

"Were you sent here by the Devils?"
"No good sir, I'm too low level."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

be glad it's 2 am or i'd do the whole song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The head fell off my partisan
Take my 1d4 knife, my good man

• Locked thread