Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

To Catch a Thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

I've always thought that the likeliest scenario is that Darabont wasn't really thinking about Carmody's crazy rants when he decided on that ending, and that the whole "the religious fanatic was right all along" narrative that's grown out of that since the movie's release is purely unintentional.

Just my gut feeling, based on nothing really

I always try to give every director the benefit of the doubt that everything that happens in their movies is deliberate, and Frank Darabont has nothing on his resume that would give me reason to doubt him.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is Beasts of No Nation any good

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yup! Abraham Attah kills it, and the cinematography is tremendous. There's one awesome long take that needs to be seen. The story is great, albeit quite brutal.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

drunken officeparty posted:

It's loving amazing, yes. The cinematography is breathtaking, Abraham Attah is probably the best child actor ever, Idris Elba is electric.

It's unbelievably depressing, though.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Basebf555 posted:

I'd say the biggest indicator of what the movie has to say about her is the fact that the biggest gently caress yea fist pumping moment is her getting shot in the face

Yeah, but The Mist didn't have anything good to say about anyone. Even the good guys are kind of dumb and lovely people. The "gently caress yeah" of that scene was gilded with the realization that they've descended to tribal savagery. No one was right, no one handled things especially well, before and after The Mist came to make the gnawing suspicion that our limited perception hides the truth- that chaos and horror make up the underpinning of existence- a blunt material reality. We're too ugly and dim to survive, together or apart, in reality because we're of the same reality that the creatures of the mist come from. There's no grace to rarefy our natures, to remove the blind & brutish animal stuck in a cycle from the human aspiring to be good. Every step was a misstep and, in the end, everyone was equally right. The approach to living and dying in the mist was more ceremonial than anything else and the people who survived that incident only did so to later die & hurt others along the way. Evidence of their true natures is swept away by the military\culture regaining superficial control. Horror bubbled up at a stress point, people died, then it all stopped. Nothing was learned, no one was truly saved. It's a crushingly negative outlook on the human condition.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

The first two thirds are pretty good. The last third is terrible, hamfisted mess that ruins what could have been a nice, tight story.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

ChineseConnection posted:

The first two thirds are pretty good. The last third is terrible, hamfisted mess that ruins what could have been a nice, tight story.

I fell asleep at about halfway through last night (not because of the movie) and now I'm worried:ohdear:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I just watched Death Race 2050 on Netflix. It was absolutely abysmal, and I would recommend it to anyone.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I think The Kite Runner leaves Netflix either tonight or tomorrow night so catch it while you can! One of those movies you gotta see before you die, and it's pretty much always relevant.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Swiss Army Man is on Amazon Prime and its hilarious if you like dark comedy. Also you get to see Daniel Radcliffe's hairy rear end in a top hat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sammus posted:

I just watched Death Race 2050 on Netflix. It was absolutely abysmal, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I'm curious to see it. Is it earnest or ironically funny?

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Pycckuu posted:

Swiss Army Man is on Amazon Prime and its hilarious if you like dark comedy. Also you get to see Daniel Radcliffe's hairy rear end in a top hat.

I watched this movie last night and both cried and laughed. Definitely worth a watch.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pycckuu posted:

No, this is truth. This movie is special. It's up there with that Michael Rappaport movie where you're not sure if it's real and not sure if you care because he's a goddamned superhero

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's bad. Kinda funny but bad. Got 2/3 through and went to bed. Didn't care what happened. But hey its Dominic Purcell or whatever

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I finished Beasts. It was good. One thing I didn't quite get though, did Idris Elba diddle agu that one time?

I also couldn't keep track of the acronyms for the rebels/government/whatever. After a bit I just started completely ignoring them.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 1, 2017

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Swiss Army Man is great. The directors told Paul Dano that "the first fart will make you laugh and the last fart will make you cry" and that's spot on.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think I can call it either. There's pretty much zero redeeming features to the movie besides tits. And those are used far too sparingly to make it worthwhile.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Spending some time on a plane this weekend and I have been looking on Amazon and Netflix for the download options to watch offline but am not finding anything. Are these really mobile only features?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

coyo7e posted:

It's bad. Kinda funny but bad. Got 2/3 through and went to bed. Didn't care what happened. But hey its Dominic Purcell Manu Bennett or whatever

Also, the explosion effects look like the ones used on ATHF and while I don't mind breasts, there were times I kept wondering why people were just sitting around topless.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 2, 2017

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Good recommendation whoever recommended Sun Choke. It was good and I have always liked Barbara Crampton. I had never seen her before this film, but Sara Malakul Lane has got to be one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. She handled the role well too.

I watched Trumbo last night on Prime, and it was incredible. Trumbo is a personal hero of mine, but the movie was just excellent anyway. Cranston and Goodman killed it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tainen posted:

Spending some time on a plane this weekend and I have been looking on Amazon and Netflix for the download options to watch offline but am not finding anything. Are these really mobile only features?

Mobile-only and on a select number of titles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you somehow slept on it, American Crime Story got added to Netflix. I've been up all night binge watching it for my second time because it really is just that goddamn good. Holy poo poo.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dog Eat Dog is stressful as gently caress, but you just can't stop watching after that opening scene. I thought i was watching for Nicholas Cage, but he seems nuanced and reserved next to Willem Dafoe.

Looking for a Friend for the End of the World is funny, pretty good date movie and a reminder that Steve Carell is actually a great actor beyond yelling funny things in The Office.

The Wraith is a 1986 teen racing movie, basically The Crow meets The Fast and the Furious. I don't know why I started watching it, but it's awesome and one of those 80's movies you had no idea all your favorite actors was in. Clint Howard looks like the guy from Eraserhead

edit: the car in The Wraith is a Dodge M4S.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 3, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Inspector Hound posted:

Dog Eat Dog is stressful as gently caress, but you just can't stop watching after that opening scene. I thought i was watching for Nicholas Cage, but he seems nuanced and reserved next to Willem Dafoe.

Dog Eat Dog is dope.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector Hound posted:

Looking for a Friend for the End of the World is funny, pretty good date movie and a reminder that Steve Carell is actually a great actor beyond yelling funny things in The Office.

It's not anywhere free yet, but he was loving intense in Foxcatcher.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'd like some recommendations for movies on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

I'm looking for action-y/exciting movies that spend as much of their runtime as possible being action-y/exciting with as little of that annoying character development or tension building as possible. I understand that this means that I'm gonna be watching schlocky stuff, but I'm cool with that.

Could be sci-fi, westerns, slasher flicks, martial arts/fighting, whatever, just something where I can turn my higher brain functions off and watch buildings explode, people die, awesome poo poo happen, etc.

Thoughts on what is good, or at least not bad?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

fishtobaskets posted:

The Big Short is on Netflix, and Steve Carell is pretty good in that.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Azathoth posted:

I'm looking for action-y/exciting movies that spend as much of their runtime as possible being action-y/exciting with as little of that annoying character development or tension building as possible. I understand that this means that I'm gonna be watching schlocky stuff, but I'm cool with that.

Could be sci-fi, westerns, slasher flicks, martial arts/fighting, whatever, just something where I can turn my higher brain functions off and watch buildings explode, people die, awesome poo poo happen, etc.

Netflix: London has Fallen
Knowing
The Punisher
Everly
Hot Fuzz
The Rock
Bad Boys II
Collateral Damage
Spectral

Hulu and Prime have a poo poo ton of stuff that are on both like the Bond flicks and the Lethal Weapon series.

Escape from La is on prime, too, and Hard Rain which is a pretty entertaining action/disaster movie with Christian Slater and Morgan Freeman.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Azathoth posted:

Dredd 2012
The Last Stand
Face/off
John Wick

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fishtobaskets posted:

Granted I've seen it enough that I still recall it pretty vividly, but I'm surprised I haven't seen it streaming.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

fishtobaskets posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Granted I've seen it enough that I still recall it pretty vividly, but I'm surprised I haven't seen it streaming.

It's on Netflix UK, for what it's worth

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ Foxcatcher felt a lot like Harsh Times for me, where you start to just feel trapped in the world of this completely insane person with no way to escape. I didn't know the IRL story and Ruffalo's acting and character plus the ending just destroyed me.

----
If feels like a "weird" "coincidence" (aka, it feels more like a political statement), but Brubaker just popped up on netflix. I haven't seen the movie in many years but it's still loving amazing - and holds up to the current political atmosphere in the USA shockingly well - maybe even moreso.

I have no idea how or why it dropped yesterday out of the clear blue sky, or why netflix specifically recommended it to me, but it made my friday night to watch it again.

Pingiivi posted:

Swiss Army Man is great. The directors told Paul Dano that "the first fart will make you laugh and the last fart will make you cry" and that's spot on.
I can't even impart how good this movie was. I honestly don't care what was real and what wasn't, but the ending straight up made me cry.

The weird thing is that I saw a teaser image from the movie on some clickbait "50 movies people walked out of!!!1!!one!!" link on the margin of a news feed today, and it made me legit sad because if you don't feel better about yourself and all of humanity after watching someone use Daniel Radcliffe's rear end as a rock-climbing tool, then you are missing out. The first five or ten minutes of the movie was hardest because watching someone attempt to (and fail to successfully) commit suicide in completely-incompetent-and hallucinating-due-to-dehydration-mode almost made me shut it off.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 4, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
In case you guys were watching, Netflix's new Drew Barrymore show The Santa Clarita Diet is terrible. I don't think I"m even halfway through the first episode, and I want to turn it off.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Robert Stack has the most perfect voice.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Drew Barrymore is terrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

In case you guys were watching, Netflix's new Drew Barrymore show The Santa Clarita Diet is terrible. I don't think I"m even halfway through the first episode, and I want to turn it off.

Counterpoint: it's not terrible, it's actually great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Robert Stack has the most perfect voice.

I feel the same way about Stacey Keach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel the same way about Stacey Keach.

William Hurt and younger Donald Sutherland. Also the guy who did all those 90s A&E crime shows.