Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
As far as custom maps go, I can also recommend:

Museum - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674148429
London Day to night - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=643152606
HotelZed - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=643269874
SectorC3 - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657820124
Subterrane - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657812202
Shopping Spree - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=644068210

I'm not saying they are all amazing, but my friends and I are yet to take them out of rotation. You won't see missing textures or too much zed weirdness. Bear in mind, though, that we LAN this game. For all I know those maps are griefer wonderlands on public servers.
I have a few others that aren't on the workshop, such as Frozen, Policestation, MountainPass, BioticsLab2009. There are loads of great maps out there, but also a bunch of dross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Overwined posted:

Picked this up a short while ago. I played a decent bit of KF1 and one weapon I'm really glad they nailed (again) is the double-barrel sawed-off. gently caress, penetration perks and two barrels will just empty a hall of trash. I find myself skyrocketing to the top of the killboard once I get it and then I never put it down. It makes a great sidearm. And the sound!

Also, I really enjoy the SWAT class and it's a smart and fun addition to the game. I wouldn't say they broke the KF1 mold here, but they've brought a ton more polish and fun to it.

The best thing about the super shotgun is that the recoil will make you fly off ledges.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Marogareh posted:

The best thing about the super shotgun is that the recoil will make you fly off ledges.

It's also a useful substitute for parrying against certain Zed attacks. I know I've dodged a few of Hans' attacks with a well-timed jump shot.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gorefiends during Hans can gently caress right off along with their stupid spin attack with hyper armor.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Gorefiends during Hans can gently caress right off along with their stupid spin attack-
Huh? I thought they would be a cool idea-

Alteisen posted:

with hyper armor.
Oh, of course they did this :sigh:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea don't get caught with your pants down and reloading or you;re hosed, every single one of my Sui/HoE deaths so far has been to getting cornered by loving gorefiends, their spin does ridiculous damage and they block so loving much.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I wouldn't mind them nearly as much if they didn't block most of the time and if their blocking weren't so effective. With two blades, and with both blades' hitboxes extending past the metal bits, you sort of have to be playing support/demo/firebug if you want to kill them. Everything else relies too much on the headshot.

What's the hyper armor thing about?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

aniviron posted:

I wouldn't mind them nearly as much if they didn't block most of the time and if their blocking weren't so effective. With two blades, and with both blades' hitboxes extending past the metal bits, you sort of have to be playing support/demo/firebug if you want to kill them. Everything else relies too much on the headshot.

What's the hyper armor thing about?

When he's spinning nothing can stun him out of it, you have to kill it to get it to stop.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Alteisen posted:

Yea don't get caught with your pants down and reloading or you;re hosed, every single one of my Sui/HoE deaths so far has been to getting cornered by loving gorefiends, their spin does ridiculous damage and they block so loving much.

Gorefiend+Invisibles+Crawler combo for me. The most I can hope is to jump, throw down a grenade and pray I make it out alive.

gently caress that spin attack.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I really didn't think I would, but I loving adore the Swat class. Dumping several mags worth of bullets into Zed heads during zed time is the best.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Been playing Survivalist with a double-barrel, M79, RPG, molotovs, and medic pistol, and it's goddamn satisfying to be able to take on drat near everything like Doomguy. Best played like Doomguy too; just run everywhere and use the right weapons as circumstances demand in the clear knowledge that you can kill any zed apart from Scrakes and FPs that tries to block your way.

Too bad that the melee and Gunslinger/Commando/SWAT perks don't feel anywhere as potent as the above loadout.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Been playing again and gave the Sharpshooter a try and so far I've been loving it. The lever action is really satisfying to use and lasts pretty far into the rounds for a starter weapon. Still trying to figure what loadout to use, one set up I've liked so far was lever, m14 and .500. Lever for general trash if things aren't too hectic and the .500 as a finisher if something is in my face that needs to be gone.

Another loadout I've been tooling around with is xbow, m14 and double 9mm. Not sure how it will work on suicidal though if boping scrakes in the head with the xbow won't stun them like it does on hard. Worth running the 100% more stun perk if I want to do that on suicidal?

Haven't tried the railgun too much yet since I've leveled up and gotten the dmg boost perks, any opinions on running just lever+railgun?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Zernach posted:

Haven't tried the railgun too much yet since I've leveled up and gotten the dmg boost perks, any opinions on running just lever+railgun?

Lever + Railgun is fine if you're confident enough to turn off auto aim and only use the railgun for Scrakes and FPs. The lever will gently caress up everything else.

The only advantage the M14 has over it imo is an optic and larger magazine.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
On suicidal as sharpshooter I've had success with double 9mm, Winchester and M14

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
So the crossbow isn't the cannon it used to be in KF1? I was about to start leveling sharp... :(

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
My strategy is for large general groups dual 9 mm for headshots. If I get cornered by a cluster I break out the Winchester. Scrakes and fleshpounds I go crazy headshotting with the m14

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Foreskin Problems posted:

So the crossbow isn't the cannon it used to be in KF1? I was about to start leveling sharp... :(

Crossbow is pretty bad yea.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Foreskin Problems posted:

It's only particularly good at stunning, but your grenades do the same thing. The optimal loadout is the .500 with the railgun, or crossbow with the m14 if you're feeling cheeky.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

So what's the difference between the railgun lockon/no lock modes? It doesn't seem necessary most of the time to lock; is there any upside to using it manually though?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

aniviron posted:

So what's the difference between the railgun lockon/no lock modes? It doesn't seem necessary most of the time to lock; is there any upside to using it manually though?

The damage is reduced to a third with lockon activated. On Suicidal it only instakills husks and sirens, and just instadecaps bloats with lockon.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Crossbow is pretty bad yea.

Really? I found it absolutely mulches Fleshpounds, Scrakes, and bosses with a couple headshots. If you play Survivalist with the +reload speed to Sharpshooter perk you can spew out bolts like a gatling gun and demolish waves like nothing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel a burning desire to repeat myself.

gently caress gorefiends, they're actively ruining my enjoyment of the game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Going for the legs helps a lot.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/656800146530262823

New map type coming out to compliment survival. The way they describe it, it appears to be a dungeon crawler, and hints at a new weapon. Maybe the SWAT shield, maybe not.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aniviron posted:

Going for the legs helps a lot.

But the fact that once they decide to spin like a top they can't be knocked out of it by any weapon makes them dumb. Even Scrakes and Fleshpounds can be interrupted during their attacks. I've had groups handle Scrakes and FP rushes on Hell on Earth just fine only to have a single gorefast spin its way to a four man kill.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"Gorefiends: let's just double every stat on a gorefast and call it good"

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Having played a poo poo ton of Firebug on Suicidal lately I really love how the trench gun ruins both Gorefasts and Gorefiends with a lazy chest shot. Toss Heat Wave on top of that and they have rarely been a problem for me if I see them coming.

Speaking of Heat Wave, I only recently figured out how to deal with Scrakes without taking massive damage, provided I have some room to kite. What I do is I start unloading on them from range with the trench gun, once they start panicing from the fire I take that breather to load and get some more distance. Once they stop panicing and charge you I hold fire until I they are close enough that my first shot will stumble them and use that time to shoot a few times while backing away again. By the time the scrake is geting into my face again I should be able to stumble it again, since the cooldown for stumble is only 3.5 seconds. Repeat until dead. Sadly you can't really do the same to FPs since the stumble cd for them is 5 seconds.

Another interesting thing I noticed was how raged out scrakes move when they panic from fire. It seemed to me that they can track a target for a few moments at the start, but then stay stuck on that direction until the panic stops. Made me feel like a bull fighter when the scrake just hauls rear end past me after I sidestep a bit.

After figuring the above I've been having a lot of fun being able to run flamer+trench and not feeling completely useless anytime big zeds show up. And also switching Napalm out after it set 3 FPs needlessly on fire and raging them out at the same time :v:.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I really love the multi-perk system, it is one of the best changes they've put in the game. It really opens builds up with some much needed variety.

Does anyone remember that one website or google doc that was just all the weapon and enemy stats laid out in a giant spreadsheet? I'm not sure if it's still out there or if it's even up to date.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Fina posted:

I really love the multi-perk system, it is one of the best changes they've put in the game. It really opens builds up with some much needed variety.

Does anyone remember that one website or google doc that was just all the weapon and enemy stats laid out in a giant spreadsheet? I'm not sure if it's still out there or if it's even up to date.

I think it's on the KF 2 reddit. I know others have linked it here but searching through the thread for it would be a major pain in the rear end.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
BAM! I thought I put this in the OP...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...yA8QbRbOjQqQudg

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Thank you, that is a ton of really helpful information.

What is the advantage of using the AK over the Medic Rifle now that Commando can use it? On paper the Medic Rifle seems better in most ways.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The AK is cheaper and you are supporting the Motherland's industry.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fina posted:

Thank you, that is a ton of really helpful information.

What is the advantage of using the AK over the Medic Rifle now that Commando can use it? On paper the Medic Rifle seems better in most ways.

Medic rifle is heavier and more expensive. That's about it, but then, that's generally the case in KF, weapons are supposed to get better as they go up in cost.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fina posted:

There is none, because medic rifle + SCAR is a great Commando loadout. Med shotgun on a support is also really good. Cross-class stuff like this is excellent. The AK was always mediocre for its purchase price, and now it's super irrelevant.

Medic SMG on SWAT falls short, but two out of three isn't bad.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Is the medic poison perk worth anything? Poisoned zeds, even scrub-tier one, seem to walk around an awful long time after being poisoned, making me think it's a worthless perk.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Psion posted:

Medic SMG on SWAT falls short, but two out of three isn't bad.

Maybe not as a main weapon, but as a backup I find it works well. Besides, when you're pulling it out there's a good chance your teammates may need some healing.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
The medic poison perk is only really good for making big zeds like husks, bloats, sirens, and gorefiends worthless for a while. You'll never purposefully hit them with the intent of killing them, it's more for just dealing with enemies you accidentally hit or haven't finished off yet. It's an alright perk if you feel like playing combat medic.

Speaking of which, medic SMG is great on SWAT as just a trash-clearer, I use it over the MP5 if only because the iron sight on the MP5 is useless. It also has the added bonus of giving you infinite syringes during zed time if you have the level 25 perk.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Ugh, yes, the sight picture on the MP5 is terrible, though I really like its burst mode.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fina posted:

What? Did I miss something recently? What is this awesome sounding thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stanley Pain posted:

What? Did I miss something recently? What is this awesome sounding thing?

Weapons are now associated with multiple perks, so Support applies his bonuses and gains experience with the Medic Shotgun, for example.