Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Odin's pretty cool. His actual name is Owen and he basically thinks he's the hero of an anime with a dark past and names all his attacks.

Isn't he the hero in an anime game though? Just from piecing together the conversation here

What I'm saying is this Owen guy sounds like he knows what's up and you probably got the most powerful and wise character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The Fire Emblem games never stuck with me when I played them on the DS/3DS, adding IAP and stsamina gating probably won't make me like them more.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Isn't permadeath a big part of Fire Emblem? I really hope you can do something stupid like lose $100 worth of gacha pulls in one battle. I'm guessing not, judging from the positive reviews, but fingers crossed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Foxhound posted:

The Fire Emblem games never stuck with me when I played them on the DS/3DS, adding IAP and stsamina gating probably won't make me like them more.

What if I told you they've also dumbed it down significantly?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Paladinus posted:

What if I told you they've also dumbed it down significantly?

I'd believe you.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
New Kairosoft: 8-Bit Farm.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
In the yugioh game, it just seems wrong to have Mai use Dark Magician and Dark Magician girl.

But screw the rules. It's better when Pegasus says 'Yugi Boy' instead of Kaiba.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

In the yugioh game, it just seems wrong to have Mai use Dark Magician and Dark Magician girl.

But screw the rules. It's better when Pegasus says 'Yugi Boy' instead of Kaiba.

What deck are you running?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Yeah that doesn't look like any Fire Emblem game I know, I expect permadeath and brutal progression in tightly designed maps not some kind of menu-driven tapfest

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Vesi posted:

Yeah that doesn't look like any Fire Emblem game I know, I expect permadeath and brutal progression in tightly designed maps not some kind of menu-driven tapfest

Expecting a phone app to be a game is always going to lead to disappointment.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Vesi posted:

But there's much more anime titties to collect now!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Vesi posted:

I mean, I've been playing it and it's pretty respectable

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I don't see more than an average anime gacha game grindfest with Fire Emblem combat and characters, but nothing of what actually makes Fire Emblem a good game. So as far as phone games go, it's just about par for the course.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Its very shallow and rates are horrible for 5* characters.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

EzEight posted:

So you're saying it's a mobile gacha game?

For the record, I'm enjoying it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

mrkillboy posted:

New Kairosoft: 8-Bit Farm.

Am I losing my mind, or was there already a Kairosoft farming game?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
There was, but it didn't have farm animals, just crops. It's Pocket Harvest. I didn't like it much myself.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I remember playing Game Dev Story a ton on one of my first smart phones. How much have they updated the formula these days?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I thought Pocket Harvest was great myself. Definitely going to take a look at this new farm one.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A port of the 2009 version of A Boy and His Blob has popped up on the Play Store.

Also out, an endless runner from the WeRate Dogs Twitter people.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I hope that A Boy and his Blob game is good, because it looks :kimchi: as gently caress. Downloading now.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Veib posted:

Anyone play A Normal Lost Phone? It's a text-heavy narrative puzzle game about finding a phone where the UI is a fake smartphone.

are there any other games like this one? I 've played Mr Robot, Replica and Sara is Missing and this sort of thing somehow really scratches my itch for android gaming

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Foxhound posted:

I remember playing Game Dev Story a ton on one of my first smart phones. How much have they updated the formula these days?

I played through this my first time in the past 2 months and was kind of disappointed. Didn't get a "good game" until I had the best people available, and now that I have good employees anything I put out is a profit machine unless I intentionally try to screw up. I was hoping for something more, to strike gold early on once in a while even if I had scrubs working for me.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

EzEight posted:

True but it's also much more generous than comparable gacha games. I'm fine with a lite tactics experience on my phone.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

EzEight posted:

Its alittle low but atleast they have a safety net so your rates gradually go up if you fail to roll a 5*.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tagichatn posted:

True but it's also much more generous than comparable gacha games. I'm fine with a lite tactics experience on my phone.

I really don't think it is, there are no daily free pulls the system for leveling say a 4 star to a 5 star takes over a month of daily grinding, the drop rates are lower then most games I've played. I've done 35 pulls at this point and have seen 1 5 star.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

I really don't think it is, there are no daily free pulls the system for leveling say a 4 star to a 5 star takes over a month of daily grinding, the drop rates are lower then most games I've played. I've done 35 pulls at this point and have seen 1 5 star.

Yeah there's no free pull but 5 stars are 6% drop compared to 1% in FF brave exvius. Plus the percentage goes up until you get a 5 star where other games will secretly manipulate rates to get more whale money. I remember reading somewhere that the cost per pull was also lower but I don't remember exactly.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tagichatn posted:

Yeah there's no free pull but 5 stars are 6% drop compared to 1% in FF brave exvius. Plus the percentage goes up until you get a 5 star where other games will secretly manipulate rates to get more whale money. I remember reading somewhere that the cost per pull was also lower but I don't remember exactly.

You could also easy get a few characters up to 5 star in Brave Exvius per week. You need 20,000 feathers to upgrade a 4 to 5 star in this, there are 3 sources of feathers friends give you 5-15 per day, you can get some from the arena even if you win your 3 matchs a day every day you can maybe get 1200ish a week from that, the primary source seems to be from discarding characters but since they have no way of earning characters from free you can only discard gatcha characters, a 3 star gives you 150 feathers so you would need 133ish of them to get enough feathers from a 4 to 5 star thats hundreds of dollars in pulls.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

You could also easy get a few characters up to 5 star in Brave Exvius per week. You need 20,000 feathers to upgrade a 4 to 5 star in this, there are 3 sources of feathers friends give you 5-15 per day, you can get some from the arena even if you win your 3 matchs a day every day you can maybe get 1200ish a week from that, the primary source seems to be from discarding characters but since they have no way of earning characters from free you can only discard gatcha characters, a 3 star gives you 150 feathers so you would need 133ish of them to get enough feathers from a 4 to 5 star thats hundreds of dollars in pulls.

Yeah but characters at 3/4* in this game are much more usable than the same in Brave Exvius. The best units in FFBE are 5* base which are the rare ones, I'm not sure if that's the case in this game and 3* are all Bedile-tier. I'm hoping there will be more ways to get feathers because yeah, that much is ridiculous to get a single character to max star. Maybe FFBE is better if you don't spend money whereas FE is better if you do? Mostly I'm happy they show you the rates rather than hiding them like other games do.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Edit: My bad, I missed that socialsecurity actually mentions Duels.

You also get feathers at the end of every Arena duel season, for both your Offense and Defense rank. Offense goes from 100 to 1600, Defense goes from 100 to 500. Right now, after winning three battles, two against Beginner and one against Intermediate, using a team that includes four of the bonus heroes (Though I think you only need one? I'm probably wrong on that.), I'm on track to get 300 from Offense, and from winning one Defense I'm on track to get 300 there as well. There's also rewards for the top 100,000 players, starting at 500 and it goes up to 5000. The current season ends in one day, whether that's tonight or tomorrow I'm not sure, and I also couldn't find how long a season is. If it's one or two weeks, that's a pretty decent reward, but if it's monthly it's not great.

As a side note, it uses your first, or left-most, team for Defense battles, so be sure to set that one up for it.

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 5, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

are there any other games like this one? I 've played Mr Robot, Replica and Sara is Missing and this sort of thing somehow really scratches my itch for android gaming

Try Lifeline games.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

I've only done 15 pulls (3sets of 5) and have got 2 x 5* units, and 6 x 4* units. I haven't paid a penny so far (or got involved in rerolling) and am having lots of fun and finding the rates pretty good!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

nerd_of_prey posted:

I've only done 15 pulls (3sets of 5) and have got 2 x 5* units, and 6 x 4* units. I haven't paid a penny so far (or got involved in rerolling) and am having lots of fun and finding the rates pretty good!

Your anecdote differs from my own, so I shall ignore it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Paladinus posted:

Try Lifeline games.

i've tried a couple (Whiteout and the one in space), they're all right but not quite as good as I was hoping for. THanks!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i've tried a couple (Whiteout and the one in space), they're all right but not quite as good as I was hoping for. THanks!

Have you tried Her Story, by chance?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Geektox posted:

Have you tried Her Story, by chance?

played it on steam, yep

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/rpgs-mobile-bundle

KOTOR is in the $6 bundle.
Need I say more?

Also Shadowrun Dragonfall, I guess.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

IAmTheRad posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/rpgs-mobile-bundle

KOTOR is in the $6 bundle.
Need I say more?

Also Shadowrun Dragonfall, I guess.

I just tried to get kotor 2 working in steam to no avail.

This'll have to do. :sigh:

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Real games? No thank s I prefer 16x16 rock paper sisscors (sp?) freemium with gambling mechanisms. That is, if I ever stop uninstalling the game to reroll for 5* anime babes!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Real games? No thank s I prefer 16x16 rock paper sisscors (sp?) freemium with gambling mechanisms. That is, if I ever stop uninstalling the game to reroll for 5* anime babes!!

:rolleyes: