Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Sunswipe posted:

You mean the one from the best chili thread ever? Here it is:

e: I had Star Raiders II. Got it free on the front of a copy of Your Sinclair. Still a better space game than Star Citizen, but then what isn't?
Thanks for the recipe and the link the chili thread. I'm going to try and let you down easy--that isn't really a chili thread. If anyone ever starts talking about beans in chili--probably best to just walk away.

This chili recipe started with a list of peppers you could hunt down to make the chili powder. Short rib beef and chorizo pork with porter and tequila. Chocolate and cinnamon.

Found the video from a derivative version: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014510-short-rib-chili-nachos

And Star Raiders on the Atari 800 is of one my favorite childhood memories. Had a lot of brothers and sisters, we played it as a couch co-op--one person on the joystick, one on the keyboard. Played Wolfenstein the same way on the apple II--good times. Both games showing far more depth of gameplay than Star Citizen has yet to show thirty years ago.

Also, not understanding the stock image copyright thing... Does this mean if Squadron 42 is ever released we can play hacked versions under fair use? You know, pay for the game only if you're going to be a pro Twitch streamer. I think I already know the answer... We need to buy Star Citizen because of the 100's of employees, but it is fine to steal the artwork because that guy should have a job as a cashier somewhere to make sure he can pay rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Haha even the lies CIG is selling them aren't even working out

Also I'm surprised so many backers are literally celebrating regional servers. It's such a small, easy and inconsequential fix at this point that my theory is they are all desperate for something to celebrate that they jumped on the first thing and now it just looks bizarre and obviously forced that they are so excited about it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's pretty clear they built that foosball table out of some old plywood and a garage door opener, nothing to get worked up over.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Those Navy Chairs are the real deal. Restoration Hardware agreed to stop making them and recycle their inventory in like 2013.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HycoCam posted:

Thanks for the recipe and the link the chili thread. I'm going to try and let you down easy--that isn't really a chili thread. If anyone ever starts talking about beans in chili--probably best to just walk away.
Thread's worth it for the "anything to get the taste out of their mouth" line. Besides, I can't eat chili. Nothing to do with the flavour, allergies or anything, just I sometimes have attacks of irritable bowel syndrome. A proper "Gotta get to the toilet right loving NOW!" attack produces something that looks a lot like chili.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

Those Navy Chairs are the real deal. Restoration Hardware agreed to stop making them and recycle their inventory in like 2013.

Brushed aluminium with seat pads & glides = 638EUR each. How many chairs do they have in that room?

https://www.emeco.net/variants/emeco-1006-navy-chair-brushed-us-navy

e: I'm assuming they have the brushed model. The polished aluminium seat is 1,824EUR.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 4, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

fuctifino posted:

Brushed aluminium with seat pads & glides = 638EUR each. How many chairs do they have in that room?

https://www.emeco.net/variants/emeco-1006-navy-chair-brushed-us-navy

So between the chairs, the coffee machine, foosball table, wall murals, televisions and the door that's what, a $70,000 break room?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

So between the chairs, the coffee machine, foosball table, wall murals, televisions and the door that's what, a $70,000 break room?

The backers will never know....

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Stuff like this just makes it pathetic. I have a feeling, though I'm not sure, that Chris may not realize the only strong part of his company is the art department. Unfortunately his artists can't stop stealing. Maybe he approves it all and just says run with it?

Either way it's really bad business to do this, and maybe all of these will eventually lead to something. Probably not, but it's just so batshit crazy you're just like... come on man! Somebody actually do something here!

To show my exasperation, I'm going to use an image that CIG probably really made and let another company borrow it for resale:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's about two Clifford aka Mikus, isn't it?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

HycoCam posted:

This chili recipe started with a list of peppers you could hunt down to make the chili powder. Short rib beef and chorizo pork with porter and tequila. Chocolate and cinnamon.

Found the video from a derivative version: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014510-short-rib-chili-nachos

And Star Raiders on the Atari 800 is of one my favorite childhood memories. Had a lot of brothers and sisters, we played it as a couch co-op--one person on the joystick, one on the keyboard. Played Wolfenstein the same way on the apple II--good times. Both games showing far more depth of gameplay than Star Citizen has yet to show thirty years ago.

Also, not understanding the stock image copyright thing... Does this mean if Squadron 42 is ever released we can play hacked versions under fair use? You know, pay for the game only if you're going to be a pro Twitch streamer. I think I already know the answer... We need to buy Star Citizen because of the 100's of employees, but it is fine to steal the artwork because that guy should have a job as a cashier somewhere to make sure he can pay rent.

poo poo, I forgot about that game. I played the hell out of it on our 800.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Titanic posted:

Stuff like this just makes it pathetic. I have a feeling, though I'm not sure, that Chris may not realize the only strong part of his company is the art department. Unfortunately his artists can't stop stealing. Maybe he approves it all and just says run with it?

Either way it's really bad business to do this, and maybe all of these will eventually lead to something. Probably not, but it's just so batshit crazy you're just like... come on man! Somebody actually do something here!

To show my exasperation, I'm going to use an image that CIG probably really made and let another company borrow it for resale:

Chris probably sees something he likes and asks an artist to draw "something like that" but is always unhappy with anything that deviates from exactly that thing.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Sunswipe posted:

Thread's worth it for the "anything to get the taste out of their mouth" line. Besides, I can't eat chili. Nothing to do with the flavour, allergies or anything, just I sometimes have attacks of irritable bowel syndrome. A proper "Gotta get to the toilet right loving NOW!" attack produces something that looks a lot like chili.

Is it wrong, that for me, I love some good ol' chili ibs?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I'd like to see someone like Jeremy Clarkson make a model that look like him and call him Remerj Sklarcon.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

Squadron 42 Spoiler, ferocious Alien Cavalry.

What the everloving gently caress. :stare:

Which part of sci fi has- oh, of course. The snow planet with the not-tonton thing from Star Wars.

Nevermind then. Carry on. Definitely riding animals should be super high priority for your science fiction game about space ships. Can't have Metal Gear 5 or Final Fantasy cribbing in on your franchise masterpiece because they have animal riding. :allears:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The Titanic posted:

If programmers are put under too much pressure for their skill level, they produce buggy and broken code. If artists are put under too much pressure, they resort to unoriginal asset flipping.

Every aspect of the game is starting to fall apart at this point it seems. The people doing the work must be under a lot of strain.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Streetroller posted:

A $2,000 grand foosball table?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A loving F-O-O-S-B-A-L-L loving TABLE???

Are you... loving... making GBS threads me.

No gently caress it... Just kill me. Please.
I really don't want to remain on an Earth where people can earnestly defend that.

The gross mismanagement of this rampaging fire is both shocking and astounding.

Really it's a steal.

For $2,000 they can play a game.

They couldn't even do that from a CIG product for over $140 million.

The people there are probably relieved they actually have a working game on the premises now. At least something legal anyway. They probably have tons of pirated games on their workstations. It's only piracy if you get sued for it, otherwise it's just out there free to take. :shepspends:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HycoCam posted:

Yeah, it's my recipe. Let me find it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Ok, question for all the people in the biz. :)

I used to think that the CIG artists would be one of the few groups to come out of CIG looking pretty good, because this is pretty good portfolio material even if it never makes it into a real game.

So now that CIG is basically committing theft in their game, are these artists jeopardizing their future employability? I know there's short cuts and guys like Archer everywhere, but will they be cutting off some groups of employers whom don't want to risk releasing stolen assets because artist #643 got lazy and adopted an "nobody will notice!" attitude?

I know they are probably worked to the death, and all of CIGs profitability lies solely on them pumping out artwork. I'm just mildly curious if CIG on a resume will be seen as a "let's see if we get another applicant" first kind of reaction or if it's all hunky dory in video game land.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

The Titanic posted:

I used to think that the CIG artists would be one of the few groups to come out of CIG looking pretty good, because this is pretty good portfolio material even if it never makes it into a real game.

So now that CIG is basically committing theft in their game, are these artists jeopardizing their future employability? I know there's short cuts and guys like Archer everywhere, but will they be cutting off some groups of employers whom don't want to risk releasing stolen assets because artist #643 got lazy and adopted an "nobody will notice!" attitude?

I know they are probably worked to the death, and all of CIGs profitability lies solely on them pumping out artwork. I'm just mildly curious if CIG on a resume will be seen as a "let's see if we get another applicant" first kind of reaction or if it's all hunky dory in video game land.

Wouldn't that only matter if you put it in you hosed up tiny artist portfolio?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Decrepus posted:

Wouldn't that only matter if you put it in you hosed up tiny artist portfolio?

Depends on how high the flames reach when the whole thing burns to the ground.

If CIG gets the dying reputation of “that place that stole all its art, and then imploded,” then having them on your resumé as an artist will probably not work in your favour no matter how much you try to argue that it wasn't you doing that stuff…

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I posted that in the StarCitizen thread and realized I hadn't shared my latest incarnation with you guys. So here you go.

Chili for the Chili God

Chili Powder Ingredients
3 oz Guajillo Chiles
3 oz Ancho Chiles
3 oz Pasilo Chiles
3 oz Chipotle Chiles
0.5 Container Cumin Seed
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Mexican Oregano
1 tsp Ground Red Pepper
1 tsp Season Salt

Chili Ingredients
4 lbs Bone-In Short Rib
1 lb Chorizo
32 Ounces Beef Stock
2 Medium Onions
1 Bunch Garlic
1 Bottle Dark Beer (Porter)
2 Shots Tequila
2 Shots Molasses
2 Cans Tomato Paste
1 Can Chipotles in Adobo
1 Cinnamon Stick
4 Squares Dark Chocolate
1 Ounce Dried Porcini Mushrooms
1.25 Cup Chopped Cilantro
0.5 Cup Chili Powder
Salt
Pepper

Tools
Enamel Dutch Oven (6 Qt)
Blender/Food Processor

Process
Chili Powder: Do This
Recommended Viewing: Watch This

Preheat oven to 300F.

Trim off fat caps from short ribs. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.

Put dutch oven on maximum heat. Brown short ribs on all sides. Sear the hell out of them. ALL THE MAILLARD REACTION. ALL OF IT. Do meat in batches so you don't crowd the pot. Watch the video.

Cut onion in half and scorch. Same with the peeled garlic. Don't bother chopping it up, just blacken it.

Remove the casings from the chorizo and dump the meat into the pot. Or use breakfast sausage. Either way brown it.

Add the onions and garlic into the blender and pulse to chop up. Then add the chili powder, mushrooms, paste, molasses, tequila, chipotles in adobo*, and beef stock. Some folks use beer instead of beef stock. I've been meaning to try that. Blend it until well mixed and chunky.

Deglaze the base and get all that goodness off with the beer. Toss in the meat.

Add the blended ingredients to the meat and stir. Add the cinnamon stick, cilantro, and chocolate.

Cover and put in the oven for 90 minutes.

Remove cover, stir, embrace the awesomeness, and leave uncovered in oven for another 90 minutes.

Check status of meat. The bones should have freely separated and the mixture should be thick enough that you can stand a spoon in. If not, cook longer.

Remove from oven, remove bones and cinnamon stick, and eat with corn bread.

* Chipotles in adobo is the greatest thing ever, but it may be too spicy for some. You may want to toss in just the chipotles and stare at the adobo sauce, knowing it owns you.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

It depends how well known it ends up being. I could never employ anyone who I thought would do anything like that.
Even if they do it all legit I still have reservations, there is nothing more soul crushing than having to explain to a client why their website looks exactly the same as this other one they found, I had to do that once when a long term client of mine found a site that uses the same Wordpress template as them. I wasn't involved in either site luckily and no one had actually done anything wrong, but it's always stuck with me.

I've also been on the other end of this and had my artwork stolen, it's a real kick in the guts.

Something that would never happen is stealing imagery. I can't even begin to imagine how the 'artist' hand waved that away. if nothing else it's loving embarrassing, why put yourself in that position?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Which part of sci fi has- oh, of course. The snow planet with the not-tonton thing from Star Wars.

Nevermind then. Carry on. Definitely riding animals should be super high priority for your science fiction game about space ships.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

First day of any art school every syllabus almost always near the top talks about plagiarism, if you're out in the professional world you drat well know what you're doing by that point with regards to people's intellectual property. I do design work and have thrown out so many things just because I thought poo poo looked to close to something. There's homage and inspiration and then there's whatever CIG artists are doing.

Edit: it's probably just a bad handful, I am sure there are many amazing artists there, it just sucks they're gonna be lumped in with the bad.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Haha even the lies CIG is selling them aren't even working out

Also I'm surprised so many backers are literally celebrating regional servers. It's such a small, easy and inconsequential fix at this point that my theory is they are all desperate for something to celebrate that they jumped on the first thing and now it just looks bizarre and obviously forced that they are so excited about it.

Doesn't regional servers in this case consist mostly of them sending an email to Amazon saying "hey, put our poo poo on your hardware in a few different locations"?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wait what. I missed horsechat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

* Chipotles in adobo is the greatest thing ever, but it may be too spicy for some.

I had a big grill out where I took the chipotles in adobe and diced it up and mixed with mayo and garlic and some citrus and spread it on buns with bacon cheddar burgers and people went apeshit over them. You have to get the proportions right or it can be too spicy or too garlicy or mayo-ey, but it's super good.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

First day of any art school every syllabus almost always near the top talks about plagiarism, if you're out in the professional world you drat well know what you're doing by that point with regards to people's intellectual property. I do design work and have thrown out so many things just because I thought poo poo looked to close to something. There's homage and inspiration and then there's whatever CIG artists are doing.

Edit: it's probably just a bad handful, I am sure there are many amazing artists there, it just sucks they're gonna be lumped in with the bad.

This is my honest take on it too, I think there's one or maybe two lazy fuckers on staff.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

They keep losing lead and senior artists and instead have to keep hiring a bunch of people straight out of college or something. At one point one of their leads quit because he was spending more time traveling to LA to train people than back home in austin.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

scrubs season six posted:

Doesn't regional servers in this case consist mostly of them sending an email to Amazon saying "hey, put our poo poo on your hardware in a few different locations"?

I'm a little baffled too, honestly.
If it's all in the cloud, contracted through a third-party (Amazon), why would CIG need to do anything?

I suspect the game-servers themselves are running out of a standard data center environment, with Amazon doing all the heavy lifting with big data.
Which works now cause *lol*, who the gently caress actually plays these days...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I had a big grill out where I took the chipotles in adobe and diced it up and mixed with mayo and garlic and some citrus and spread it on buns with bacon cheddar burgers and people went apeshit over them. You have to get the proportions right or it can be too spicy or too garlicy or mayo-ey, but it's super good.

That sounds amazing.

One of the greatest spreads I have ever tasted was a simple mixture of mayo, curry powder, and mustard. It was incredible.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That sounds amazing.

One of the greatest spreads I have ever tasted was a simple mixture of mayo, curry powder, and mustard. It was incredible.

That sounds good too, I'll have to play around with that.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait what. I missed horsechat.

Sadly I don't think the image on the right is from Sq42, it was just making me laugh is all.

I've been told it might be from the witcher due to the horse name.

AP fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 4, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah Roach is the horse in The Witcher 3, if CDPR did any mocap at the same place it's probably a leftover prop.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
"When Roberts Go Down"

When Roberts go down
They go down fast
So don't expect any time to
Equivocate the past

When Roberts go down
They land in flame
So don't expect any slow and careful
Settling of blame

I heard you say
You look out for the feet of clay
That someone will be falling next
Without the chance
For last respects
You feel the disappointment

When Roberts go down
Man and woman revealed
You can't expect any kind of mercy
On the CIG battlefield

I heard you say
You look out for the feet of clay
That someone will be falling next
Without the chance for last respects
You feel the disappointment

When Roberts go down
Man and woman revealed
Do you show any kind of mercy
On the CIG battlefield?

When Roberts go down

SUZANNE VEGA ahead of her time.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Didn't notice this yesterday.

Subscriber Flash Sale!

If you sign up to give us money each month we'll let you buy this.

edit for $185 (I had to look that up as obviously they don't tell you the price of the ship till you've signed up to give them $10 or $20 a month)

AP fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 4, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

There's no email. Unless they're spinning up thousands of instances, it's likely no human being will ever know. If you already have an Amazon account, you too could be launching servers in Australia in minutes!

The only reason they've "solved the problem" of Australian servers is that Amazon launched a region in Sydney. Before that Singapore would have been the closest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Really amazing looking chili recipe....

So, if I ever get down there, I'll buy the beers, you bring the chili? Quadruple beans is fine, as I was hoping to get a tour of CIG Austin.