Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Like cakesmith, I think this is kinda cute. What additionally amuses me is the fact that it's got one of those locks on it so you can't steal it from the supermarket. (If you've never seen one --- see that chain dangling from the handle? The carts are chained to each other with them. You put a quarter in, the quarter unlocks it and stays put. When you re-lock it into the herd of carts, the quarter pops back out.) Pretty sure anyone that into making a cart shelf isn't daunted by losing a whopping 25 cents.

Come to think of it, that cart-locking system is a pretty lifehacky solution to theft. "This one WEIRD trick HOMELESS people HATE! [until they find five empty cans/bottles in the same lot, return them for 25 cents, and steal the cart]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Like cakesmith, I think this is kinda cute. What additionally amuses me is the fact that it's got one of those locks on it so you can't steal it from the supermarket. (If you've never seen one --- see that chain dangling from the handle? The carts are chained to each other with them. You put a quarter in, the quarter unlocks it and stays put. When you re-lock it into the herd of carts, the quarter pops back out.) Pretty sure anyone that into making a cart shelf isn't daunted by losing a whopping 25 cents.

Come to think of it, that cart-locking system is a pretty lifehacky solution to theft. "This one WEIRD trick HOMELESS people HATE! [until they find five empty cans/bottles in the same lot, return them for 25 cents, and steal the cart]"

The ones here are meant for a 1€ coin.

:siren: ACTUAL LIFE HACK :siren: They also take five cent coins.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i've literally never seen that kind of cart lock in my life, and it sounds hella obnoxious. the ones they have here just lock the wheel if you go outside of the Designated Cart Area, which is annoying for different reasons, but doesn't require me to fish for change.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Oh...am I not purchasing those carts for a quarter?

Oh dear.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

When they first came out here, some folks realized a :siren: bread clip :siren: with one corner broken off would also work. Real disappointing when you see someone was too lazy to return the cart to the herd, so you do it yourself expecting a free quarter and instead get a broken bread clip.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

someone awful. posted:

i've literally never seen that kind of cart lock in my life, and it sounds hella obnoxious. the ones they have here just lock the wheel if you go outside of the Designated Cart Area, which is annoying for different reasons, but doesn't require me to fish for change.

Well look at you able to afford fancy high class stores. You'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It isn't to prevent cart theft. It's to encourage people to put their carts back up in the corral, rather than leaving them strewn all over the parking lot requiring an employee to go collect them every so often (and banging into cars every time the wind blows). It works, too. The Aldi by me is the only store I've seen use this kind of lock, and I've never seen a random abandoned cart in the lot. People CARE about that 25 cents for some reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cart theft isn't even a thing here. Where would you even put it?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

It isn't to prevent cart theft. It's to encourage people to put their carts back up in the corral, rather than leaving them strewn all over the parking lot requiring an employee to go collect them every so often (and banging into cars every time the wind blows). It works, too. The Aldi by me is the only store I've seen use this kind of lock, and I've never seen a random abandoned cart in the lot. People CARE about that 25 cents for some reason.

Oh, that makes a lot more sense!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

The ones here are meant for a 1€ coin.

Turn five cents into 1€ with this one weird trick!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
All of the stores near me just have cart corrals in the parking lot and enough employees to wrangle the carts.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jerry Cotton posted:

You use it to store and carry all your earthly belongings in between sleeping in ditches

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Twitch posted:

All of the stores near me just have cart corrals in the parking lot and enough employees to wrangle the carts.

Cart-return gimmicks are an attack on retail jobs!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jerry Cotton posted:

In the canal, dummy. You could also hang it on a wall and store things in it, apparently.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

You use it to store and carry all your earthly belongings in between sleeping in ditches

This is a city we don't have ditches.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

In the canal, dummy. You could also hang it on a wall and store things in it, apparently.

See above but substitute canal for ditches and add "we have a river." at the end.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Judging by my apartment building: in front of your parking spot, on your balcony, in the hallways, in the lobby, blocking the fire doors, in the elevator.
Why spend $25 on a folding shopping cart when you can just steal one right?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is a city we don't have ditches.

See above but substitute canal for ditches and add "we have a river." at the end.

We have a river, two brooks, two canals AND ditches in my city. Also some wetlands. :patriot:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jerry Cotton posted:

Then you're not a proper city, we have at least two rivers of a medium size and several brooks, marshlands, ocean plus the canal. :britain:

fake edit:yes we have problems with flooding? why do you ask?

Rumda has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Feb 3, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

The gently caress is a folding shopping cart and why would I want one?

Rumda posted:

Then you're not a proper city, we have at least two rivers of a medium size and several brooks, marshlands, ocean plus the canal. :britain:

You just need the one and then you call it "the river". If you have two that wouldn't work now would it. Also I guess you're in Atlantis since your city has an ocean in it?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerry Cotton posted:

On the side of the freeway with all the others.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

The gently caress is a folding shopping cart and why would I want one?

it's a small cart with sides that collapse down so you can store it mostly flat. they're useful if you have to take a bunch of groceries inside a large apartment building or if you're a dumb poor rear end in a top hat like me and have to walk to get groceries sometimes

e: when we lived with my parents, our folding shopping cart was hella useful, but it sucks for anything that isn't mostly flat ground

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna be using a folding shopping cart to haul my gear when I walk across America

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I worked in a Lidl for a while and the Finnish teens liked stealing our carts for some reason. I like to think they raced them down hills and broke their necks. At some Lidl stores the carts were fitted with magnetic wheel locks so if you take the cart too far away from the store it locks up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

People CARE about that 25 cents for some reason.

You see the same thing with places that start charging 10 cents for bags.

"30 cents added to my $75 grocery bill?!? I AM OUTRAGED!"

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Pingiivi posted:

At some Lidl stores the carts were fitted with magnetic wheel locks so if you take the cart too far away from the store it locks up.
Those are hilarious. I live across a supermarket. You have people trying to take a shopping cart home, as soon as they leave the parking lot the cart suddenly "breaks". So they drag it back to exchange it. Suddenly.....it works again! So they turn around to take it home. But Oh No, it broke again.
A drunk guy once did that spiel 5 times. It was great to watch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those cart wheel locks are great when the ACCEPTABLE CART USAGE AREA is a tiny portion of a large parking lot and you parked outside of that area.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The quarters thing is a means to get hobos to collect strays for you on someone elses tiny money. Plus side, you now don't have strays trashing up your parking lot, and no salaries paid. Flip side, you now have hobos.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Karate Bastard posted:

The quarters thing is a means to get hobos to collect strays for you on someone elses tiny money. Plus side, you now don't have strays trashing up your parking lot, and no salaries paid. Flip side, you now have hobos.

the hobos dress the same as your hipster clientele so no one notices

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Karate Bastard posted:

Walmart is building an army of hobos?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

WampaLord posted:

You see the same thing with places that start charging 10 cents for bags.

"30 cents added to my $75 grocery bill?!? I AM OUTRAGED!"

So a while back my city added a five cent bag tax, really not a big deal. But then like two weeks later my friend was in the city that is adjacent to ours where they do not have a bag tax and he witnessed a lady trying to buy a bag, being told that bags were free there and exclaiming "I forgot I was shopping in a place that still values freedom!"

Over 5 cents.

This is why Trump is our president. Because people see small taxes to support universally supportable things like "having parks that don't suck" and "roads" as an assault on their god given right to have five more cents.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So a while back my city added a five cent bag tax, really not a big deal. But then like two weeks later my friend was in the city that is adjacent to ours where they do not have a bag tax and he witnessed a lady trying to buy a bag, being told that bags were free there and exclaiming "I forgot I was shopping in a place that still values freedom!"

Over 5 cents.

This is why Trump is our president. Because people see small taxes to support universally supportable things like "having parks that don't suck" and "roads" as an assault on their god given right to have five more cents.

egregious oversimplification.

Universally supportable things are universally supported or they arent actually universally supported. People with different political leaning have widely differing opinions on what should be.

If you had no children and were an internet shut in why would you give a poo poo about nice parks?

Should parents of private school children pay taxes for public school?

A big part of living in the US is freedom and I agree with the bag lady. She is probably referring to the massive accumulation of minor taxes we all contribute to and directing it at the current bag tax.

A large part of people being surprised with trump winning is because people in large cities think the rest of the country shares their values. Its a really big country

Fauxtool has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Feb 5, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

Universally supportable things are universally supported or they arent actually universally supported. People with different political leaning have widely differing opinions on what should be.

If you had no children and were an internet shut in why would you give a poo poo about nice parks?

A big part of living in the US is freedom and I agree with the bag lady. She is probably referring to the massive accumulation of minor taxes we all contribute to and directing it at the current bag tax.

A large part of people being surprised with trump winning is because people in large cities think the rest of the country shares their values. Its a really big country

Trump lost the popular vote and has the weakest executive mandate of all time you libertarian dipshit

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MisterOblivious posted:

Judging by my apartment building: in front of your parking spot, on your balcony, in the hallways, in the lobby, blocking the fire doors, in the elevator.

Exactly. You steal a cart because you don't have a car and you bought too much stuff to easily carry home. Or you don't trust the flimsy bags they give out to actually hold all your goods for the amount of time it takes to walk home. You might even have a folding cart of your own at home, but you didn't plan on buying all this stuff when you left home this morning, so you didn't bring it.

Source: family didn't have a car when I was a kid. Mom usually made us take the cart back the same day though.

Karate Bastard posted:

That works, at first. The thing is, if you live in an apartment complex full of cart thieves, everyone but the first guy can get their quarter back by chaining the stray carts together.

Deeply evil people steal two carts, and then put them back to back so the chains reach to get both quarter's back. This takes up double the space of one cart, and is nearly impossible to move. Two or three of these cart abominations takes up a hell of a lot of room, blocking access to the dumpster. :mad: It's like the most banal version of silent hill possible. #carthacks

The wheel locks seem to help more. Though some folks are so determined to steal a cart they'll run it on two wheels all the way home.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

80% of americans live in urban areas

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommunistPancake posted:

80% of americans live in urban areas

And Donald Trump, the multibillionaire who flew back to Manhattan every night on his private 757 so he didn’t have to spend a night in a local hotel, shares the values of the other 20%.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Platystemon posted:

And Donald Trump, the multibillionaire who flew back to Manhattan every night on his private 757 so he didn’t have to spend a night in a local hotel, shares the values of the other 20%.

Or he just pretends to share these values so that he can get elected president so he can exploit his position for his own financial gain.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

1redflag posted:

Or he just pretends to share these values so that he can get elected president so he can exploit his position for his own financial gain.

He does share their values of racism, sexism, homophobia and disdain for functional society

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Karate Bastard posted:

Lifehakk: then you get snakes to deal with your hobo problem, and now you have a snake problem.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Lifehakk: then you get snakes to deal with your hobo problem, and now you have a snake problem.

That's the beauty of it: in the winter, the hobos simply freeze to death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fauxtool posted:

Passive use value.

quote:

Yes.

quote:

Taxes aren't anathema to freedom, and in fact Adam Smith understood them as necessary to maintain a government that could set the parameters for a healthy economy. Also you're stupid.