Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Curry ketchup is amazing on hot dogs. Kroger, of all places, started carrying their own in-house brand of it. I've only seen the authentic German stuff in places like World Market.

Also, Secret Honor was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXlRG73ciaA

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Snak posted:

Oh yeah i always put an egg in ramen. I also find that minced garlic from a jar is a great addition to almost any food.

Edit: I wish this fuckin rear end in a top hat would just die. The cops won't do anything even though he's borderline catatonic and drinking like 3 bottle of liquor a day. The hospital won't loving admit him. If none of the people you're supposed to call in a situation like this are going to do anything for him, what the gently caress.

Hahahaha sorry but that was a hard segue

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's like the Maria Bamford Tim and Eric bit.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I'm rewatching all of Indiana jones and man it would be cool to take one of those PanAm water jets he takes from San Fran harbor at the beginning of Raiders. Too bad those days are long gone.

Also these movies are immensely entertaining. I'm curious as to how many of these tropes It created vs just used effectively.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
You just say he tried to drink himself to death and is suicidal, and BAM, 3 day stay in the psych ward with medical care.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

You just say he tried to drink himself to death and is suicidal, and BAM, 3 day stay in the psych ward with medical care.

He was conscious enough to tell the police that he is not suicidal. I guess he's only drinking himself to death "by accident". They said they couldn't do anything.

We've been at this for fuckin days. We couldn't get him out of his motel room until this morning. He had already drank a fifth by 11am. Took him to the hospital (voluntarily, he was on-board with this), they said they won't admit him. They don't do detox there. There's no place we can get him into until monday. So so we're still stuck babysitting him.

edit: Which I can't even actively help with. He doesn't want to see me because he's afraid I'm mad at him and he feels guilty an ashamed. While I am mad at him, this means my other roommate, his girlfriend, my best friend, is having to do all this poo poo alone.

At this rate, she's probably going to lose her job because she's spent all week trying to save this rear end in a top hat's life.

edit: I just don't know what the point of having hospitals is of you can say "hey, here's a guy with a history of alcolism, who has had alcoholic hepatitis, has been in the onset of liver failure before, and now he's gone on a 5 day bender during which he has drank 4-5 liters of liquor" and they are like "we're not gonna admit him"

That's loving literally an emergency.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 4, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

UGK single-handedly saved Texas. Fun fact: Diamonds and Wood is probably the song I've listened to the most in my lifetime.

Best song on the album, which is top to bottom probably my favorite hip hop album of all time.

To bring ZZ Top into it, I love that on their last album & tour they paid tribute to Texas hip hop by covering 25 Lighters by DJ DMD (and honestly doing a really good job of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIZWjItReI

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Magic Hate Ball posted:

One of us is watching it on Twitter and keeps relaying all the worst parts of S2, which is like when facebook's "on this day" shows you your lovely ex.

Link to me those hot tweets

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can imagine it's nothing but

JAMES!?? JAAMMMEEESSS!!!!!"

loving JAMMMEEESSSSSSSSS!!!

Goddamnt Ben Horne, leave your room.

JAMES!!???

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Link to me those hot tweets

That would be this fellow, though I forget what his username here is.

edit: you know what would be amazing in the right hands? A remake of The Great Dictator featuring a schlubby, down-on-his-luck guy with bad hair who, through a series of mistakes, winds up taking the place of the president and working against the clock of impeachment to put as many things right as possible.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 4, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Listening to the This American Life that focused on all things Trump's Muslim Ban was not a good way to not be mad and depressed the rest of the day.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

my favorite food is putting random things in my mouth with some bread.

its always a surprise sandwich!

Frank Reynolds style.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Best song on the album, which is top to bottom probably my favorite hip hop album of all time.

To bring ZZ Top into it, I love that on their last album & tour they paid tribute to Texas hip hop by covering 25 Lighters by DJ DMD (and honestly doing a really good job of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIZWjItReI

I always loved ZZ Top for covering such a southern rap staple.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Brainstorm w/me, CineD. I go by a single-letter name, and I'd like my Facebook to reflect that, but single-letter names aren't permissible on FB unless it's on your driver's license or some poo poo. You also can't use any punctuation or special characters. Is there some kind of workaround for this? And why the Zuck gotta be so fuckin lame? (I know why, it's because FB is an info vampire and they need actionable intel).

Stop being such a fancy pants and just put in your whole name.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They play the tape on the Times Square jumbotron and she rampages through New York, crushing buildings and stomping on people.

I remember when I saw the first movie the very first thing my friend said to me after it ended was "What if someone played the tape in Times Square or something?". I've always thought about that idea.

Snak posted:

Samara's psychic power is to manifest images on tape and film. This was something she could do while she was alive. She could cast images into things. Possible even people (I think she caused nightmares). But now she's a ghost, so these images are haunted by her and allow her to manifest. It's not really that dumb, and I think it is kind of a cool twist on traditional haunting mechanics.

I like the idea that someone actually went and got a camcorder and made the tape. "Okay, so after the thing happens with the freaky ladder I need you to freak out the horses, okay...... Did you get that? Hello? Jesus Christ how am I supposed to know you're working with me on this if you won't loving talk! No wonder your parents threw you down a goddamn well."

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Snak posted:

He was conscious enough to tell the police that he is not suicidal. I guess he's only drinking himself to death "by accident". They said they couldn't do anything.

We've been at this for fuckin days. We couldn't get him out of his motel room until this morning. He had already drank a fifth by 11am. Took him to the hospital (voluntarily, he was on-board with this), they said they won't admit him. They don't do detox there. There's no place we can get him into until monday. So so we're still stuck babysitting him.

edit: Which I can't even actively help with. He doesn't want to see me because he's afraid I'm mad at him and he feels guilty an ashamed. While I am mad at him, this means my other roommate, his girlfriend, my best friend, is having to do all this poo poo alone.

At this rate, she's probably going to lose her job because she's spent all week trying to save this rear end in a top hat's life.

edit: I just don't know what the point of having hospitals is of you can say "hey, here's a guy with a history of alcolism, who has had alcoholic hepatitis, has been in the onset of liver failure before, and now he's gone on a 5 day bender during which he has drank 4-5 liters of liquor" and they are like "we're not gonna admit him"

That's loving literally an emergency.

I'm guessing this is the same dude that was watering down your liquor a few months back?

Down here in Florida it's really easy to have someone committed against their will (a Baker Act), all you need is 2 witnesses. It pretty much happens all the time to drunks/junkies when they go out on a run and their loved ones don't know what to do. In your situation, though, sadly, there's pretty much nothing you can do without his consent. I'm guessing he isn't open to talking to you and his girlfriend about getting help, so that pretty much leaves you guys with the option of just not enabling him to do this under your roof.

I don't ever suggest to people to stop trying to help their loved one, because sometimes they'll die. But at the same time, for some, letting them suffer the consequences of their actions is the only thing that will convince them to get help. Alcoholism and addiction is a bitch cause there's no clear cut way to help someone. Sometimes letting them go helps, and sometimes doing everything within your power to micro-manage and save them helps. Sometimes they die despite all effort or restraint.

You could find an AA meeting to take him to, and with some luck, it'll be a good one with responsible members who are about sharing solution and helping new-comers. That's not a guarantee though, as a lot of AA has been infected with a sort of group therapy and culty self-help bullshit that has ran a lot of people off, even though it has nothing to do with the original message and mission of AA.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Magic Hate Ball posted:

i put ketchup on my hot dog sandwich

if you got bread you should really make a fried bologna sandwich instead!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think you'd also need bologna for that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

DID SOMEONE SAY BOLOGNA?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO5KoBHto80

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMeu3R0RdqI

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sonicmario64 presents:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I'm guessing this is the same dude that was watering down your liquor a few months back?

Down here in Florida it's really easy to have someone committed against their will (a Baker Act), all you need is 2 witnesses. It pretty much happens all the time to drunks/junkies when they go out on a run and their loved ones don't know what to do. In your situation, though, sadly, there's pretty much nothing you can do without his consent. I'm guessing he isn't open to talking to you and his girlfriend about getting help, so that pretty much leaves you guys with the option of just not enabling him to do this under your roof.

I don't ever suggest to people to stop trying to help their loved one, because sometimes they'll die. But at the same time, for some, letting them suffer the consequences of their actions is the only thing that will convince them to get help. Alcoholism and addiction is a bitch cause there's no clear cut way to help someone. Sometimes letting them go helps, and sometimes doing everything within your power to micro-manage and save them helps. Sometimes they die despite all effort or restraint.

You could find an AA meeting to take him to, and with some luck, it'll be a good one with responsible members who are about sharing solution and helping new-comers. That's not a guarantee though, as a lot of AA has been infected with a sort of group therapy and culty self-help bullshit that has ran a lot of people off, even though it has nothing to do with the original message and mission of AA.

Thanks for replying. The current update is that he's at home now, resting. I've got some oral rehydration formula for him and he's eaten some and been drinking water.

He's done AA meetings, and up until this relapse he's been going to outpatient rehab classes. The plan now is for him to go to inpatient rehab on monday. Now that we know he's at least safe from drinking more and we can watch his condition closely, it much less stressful thatn when he was in the motel.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Snak posted:

Rice is great not because there is anything healthy about it, but because 2000 calories of rice is like less than a dollar.

I make a food I call "hot dog fried rice".

Because that's what it is. I cut up 1-2 hot dogs, and fry them with the (cooked) rice in some butter.

Oh wait. actually I put the cut up hotdogs in the ricewater while the rice is cooking, so that the hot dog "juice" helps flavor the rice.

But do you pair it with chocolate starfish?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You have brought this whole thread down with that Limp Bizkit reference. For shame.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

three dollar bill yall

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

I remember when I saw the first movie the very first thing my friend said to me after it ended was "What if someone played the tape in Times Square or something?". I've always thought about that idea.

They made a movie with this premise, it's called Halloween III: Season of the Witch.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Neon Bull is dope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Tt_HuOfXY

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I should really resolve to watch more obscure foreign festival releases like the above, Ixcanul, Aferim!, etc, I only really stick with name or upcoming auteurs even though I skipped on the three big Romanian releases this year

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Snak posted:

Thanks for replying. The current update is that he's at home now, resting. I've got some oral rehydration formula for him and he's eaten some and been drinking water.

He's done AA meetings, and up until this relapse he's been going to outpatient rehab classes. The plan now is for him to go to inpatient rehab on monday. Now that we know he's at least safe from drinking more and we can watch his condition closely, it much less stressful thatn when he was in the motel.

Yeah man, it's a huge relief when an addict/alcoholic is in in-patient. One of the horrendous things about the disease/mental illness is that it makes everyone around the alcoholic sick too. When my brother was in treatment it gave my mom and I chance to finally breathe and not worry so much, but he got out and immediately relapsed and has just been on a rampage ever since. I got a text from my mom tonight (who just let him move back in with her cause he was homeless and hungry) that my brother had told her he owes a guy 10 grand and that both of their lives are now in danger, unless she gives him $300 to buy some weed to sell so he can magically flip it to 10k. The whole story is probably bullshit, or it isn't, but either way my mom is now in the trenches with him while I'm 1500 miles away. It sucks.

I get it though. I went to treatment 11 times (that's not counting detoxes and psych wards) before I was even able to put together 30 days clean. Everyone around me, for 10 years, was pretty much victimized by my addiction but I had no way of seeing that impact til I got to the position that I'm in now. It's brutal and it's heartbreaking. Good luck with everything and if you ever need to vent or anything you can DM me.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Noam Chomsky for President: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmBzusHBt7M

edit: unrelated, James McAvoy would make a good Riddler in Jeremy Saulnier's The Batman.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 5, 2017

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Hidden Figures was pretty bad, but man if I don't appreciate its presentation of astronauts as a pack of woke perfect labradors. If you're gonna do some hagiography, go whole hog with it

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 5, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

YOTD:
Sir Maurice Micklewhite CBE teaches film acting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZPLVDwEr7Y

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Death By The Blues your poor timing means you won't get to eat this:

A poutine with special microbrew-beer and foie gras sauce, shallots, boar, duck, and blueberry jam. I just had one tonight and it's the best meal I've had in like a year.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lurdiak posted:

Death By The Blues your poor timing means you won't get to eat this:

A poutine with special microbrew-beer and foie gras sauce, shallots, boar, duck, and blueberry jam. I just had one tonight and it's the best meal I've had in like a year.

My arteries just slammed shut.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jenny Angel posted:

Hidden Figures was pretty bad, but man if I don't appreciate its presentation of astronauts as a pack of woke perfect labradors. If you're gonna do some hagiography, go whole hog with it

I love the director is a such a shitheel he praises his choice of putting a fictional white saviour in it.
“There needs to be white people who do the right thing,”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jenny Angel posted:

hagiography,
?????????????????????

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

FreudianSlippers posted:

?????????????????????

?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Growing Up Smith is a fun little coming of age film, if kinda derivative, but the more I think about it, the more some stuff feels a bit gross.

Like, part of the gimmick is that the main character's father supposedly wants the American Dream, but cannot shake the traditions and social mores of India when it comes to their kids, to the point of schlepping one of them back to India because he dared to stop a kid his age from running away. poo poo, the mother literally calls both kids whores for being in love with people other than the ones they are arranged to be married to.

Meanwhile, you've got the redneck white family that, while not understanding their strange brown neighbors (who don't eat meat!) make a much more sincere attempt to understand them than vice versa. They kinda paint said redneck family as estoeric than other white people, but it sure gives off a "wow, Indians are the Real Racist" vibe, unintentionally.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My arteries just slammed shut.

It's probably leaner than most poutines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Dredd is still the goddamn business

• Locked thread