Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

snyprmag posted:

Whether people are a protected class or not is everything and it's very telling you think it has no bearing on the morality of the situation. Unless you have some argument that people don't chose to be nazi and can't help but be violent, then the big loving difference is transsexuals aren't inherently violent.

I'm talking about incitement to violence, and referencing a previous statement that self defense is an obvious exception. If we assume we're not discussing the use of violence as a last resort of defense against violence, then incitement to violence is both unethical and illegal irrespective of whether the target is a member of a protected class or not.

This goes to the heart of the question of when violence is acceptable. I personally do not believe that, absent all other considerations, violence against someone not a member of a protected class is somehow more OK than violence against someone who is a member of a protected class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

It's not the they're not a member of a protected class, it's that the % of nazi's who aren't "nazis who are inciting people to violence" is zero.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright, maybe it was a poor example to use when explaining a position on the ethics of threatening violence? Although I doubt it's literally zero, I don't need to go down the path of making excuses for actual, card-carrying nazis or whatever.

Of course the people turning out in support of Milo mostly aren't literally nazis (especially Berkeley students), although characterizing them as such serves a rhetorical purpose. Until you go down the road you just went down: they support a bigot, so we can call all of them nazis, and nazis are 100% always inciting people to violence, and therefore it's totally OK to incite people to violence against them, and now we're attacking students with an opposing political view and discrediting our own when it turns out that no, they're not actual literal nazis and you just committed unprovoked assault and battery.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I see your point but I think you're way too quick to assume there aren't nazis in Berkeley and to white wash white supremacists (which have done a poo poo ton of violence in our countries history, without being literal nazis) as 'political opponents.'
I'm not trying to say non-violent resistance isn't effective, but I'm not going to rag on black bloc or someone who gets amped enough to fight a white supremacist at a rally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The specific people showing up to support the speaker can't be assumed to be Nazis unless they self-identify as Nazis and it's frankly really discouraging to hear people so casually use the term to just refer to anyone with ultra-conservative or bigoted viewpoints.

They're students. Student supporters. People. If they're supporting someone I find abhorrent, I can assume their reasons are bullshit, but I can't assume without at least some shred of evidence that they personally advocate violence to the point where physically attacking them is legitimately personal self-defense.

I really don't think I'm splitting hairs here or even taking some kind of bizarre, terribly hard to understand stance. "It's not ok to punch random strangers just because they support someone you think is evil" is a pretty normal Liberal viewpoint, I thought?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I agree, you should punch people because of their stated, documented beliefs, not their associations with or opinions of people.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

So, personally speaking, what he did to the trans student at UW-Milwaukee -- where he put a picture of her up on the screen and went on to criticize her appearance and denigrate trans folks -- well, that's plenty cause for me to want to physically harm him. That's no longer just an opinion of "Hey, trans* people are mentally ill!" That is incitement.
It isn't though. That isn't what the word "incitement" means in the context of free speech. Incitement is more than criticism, or denegration, or having opinions you don't like, or saying things you disagree with. Saying "trans people are mentally ill" is not the same thing as saying "we need to go out there right now and kick all the trans people off campus", even if saying the former emboldens people who believe the latter.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There is a pretty loving big difference between a journalist and a private citizen, you dense motherfucker.
There isn't though. The government doesn't license and register journalists, and there is no law or precedent that says, "'journalists' may do X, Y, and Z, but private citizens may not." The Supreme Court has repeatedly declined to give the institutional press greater protection from defamation charges than private citizens, and the 9th Circuit recently held in Obsidian v. Cox that, "As the Supreme Court has accurately warned, a First Amendment distinction between the institutional press and other speakers is unworkable: 'With the advent of the Internet and the decline of print and broadcast media ... the line between the media and others who wish to comment on political and social issues becomes far more blurred.' "

lancemantis posted:

Yeah the laws in the US wrt state secrets are pretty much structured so that everyone is always committing a crime, its just if they decide to prosecute you for it
It's been pretty well settled since N.Y. Times v. United States in 1971 (the Pentagon Papers case) that the government can't censor or prohibit the publication of material simply on the assertion of a national security interest. Can you provide an example since 1971 of anyone who was not a current or former government employee who was convicted of dissemination of classified material?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You are aware of what happens when trans people are forcibly outed, right?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

You are aware of what happens when trans people are forcibly outed, right?
Yes I am, and being trans is hardly the only personal information that can be devastating if widely broadcast. However, I see these harms as being totally outweighed by the benefits of living in a society where the right to say something that is true, absent some preexisting professional relationship (like HIPPA), is uncontestably legal, no matter how embarrassing or harmful certain parties find it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Something that is true, like their religion, ethnic background, sexuality, party membership? How about where they live? Where they work? Their daily schedule and planned travel? Who can say I was lying when I just pointed out that the deceased was risking the violent wrath of the American people by following a foreign religion which, as we all know, threatens our very way of life? That target I printed over their face in those flyers was obviously metaphorical, and my support for a peaceful process of resettlement is a matter of public record.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yes I am, and being trans is hardly the only personal information that can be devastating if widely broadcast. However, I see these harms as being totally outweighed by the benefits of living in a society where the right to say something that is true, absent some preexisting professional relationship (like HIPPA), is uncontestably legal, no matter how embarrassing or harmful certain parties find it.

What easy thing to say, as a person who will unquestionably almost never be the target of those harms.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Something that is true, like their religion, ethnic background, sexuality, party membership? How about where they live? Where they work? Their daily schedule and planned travel? Who can say I was lying when I just pointed out that the deceased was risking the violent wrath of the American people by following a foreign religion which, as we all know, threatens our very way of life? That target I printed over their face in those flyers was obviously metaphorical, and my support for a peaceful process of resettlement is a matter of public record.

You mean like doxxing, which is largely illegal (depending on the specific state/federal harassment/cyberstalking laws)? But my freedom of speech!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Something that is true, like their religion, ethnic background, sexuality, party membership? How about where they live? Where they work? Their daily schedule and planned travel?
As long as those facts are a matter of public record or in the public interest, (something I realize I implied but neglected to explicitly qualify in my last post,) then yes, I don't see the issue. If you talk about your upcoming trip to Fire Island on Facebook, you cannot reasonably object if other people disseminate or correlate that information. Similarly, if the heads of several major oil companies and various oil ministers were all staying at a Trump hotel in the UAE for a conference, that information could be reasonably considered in the public interest.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What easy thing to say, as a person who will unquestionably almost never be the target of those harms.
You don't know me and I don't know you, so let's stick to the ideas, rather than exchanging ad homs.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 5, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

As long as those facts are a matter of public record or in the public interest, (something I realize I implied but neglected to explicitly qualify in my last post,) then yes, I don't see the issue. If you talk about your upcoming trip to Fire Island on Facebook, you cannot reasonably object if other people disseminate or correlate that information. Similarly, if the heads of several major oil companies and various oil ministers were all staying at a Trump hotel in the UAE for a conference, that information could be reasonably considered in the public interest.

The sexuality and gender identity of someone doesn't fall into that category though. And it's being done with the premeditated desire to inspire violence, either physical or in the form of hate speech, against that person.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BattleHamster posted:

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_47,_Reduced_Penalties_for_Some_Crimes_Initiative_(2014)

You should check ballotpedia before posting stuff like this because its not true.

Propositions can be a terrible way to pass laws, and there are plenty of valid reasons why progressives might voice opposition for a proposition that is considered progressive.

If you want to know Jerry Brown's thoughts on criminal justice and prison reform issues its much more useful to look at Prop 57 which was authored by Brown and which he answered many questions on.

If propositions are a bad way to pass laws then why didn't their Dem supermajority state government act to make these changes instead? Especially with regards to drug possession charges, I don't see any excuse why they couldn't have made those changes legislatively.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Interesting development in Calexit

:ussr:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Not really, we've known for a while that Yes California was Russian-backed. CalExit is a poo poo idea.

Dead Reckoning posted:

As long as those facts are a matter of public record or in the public interest, (something I realize I implied but neglected to explicitly qualify in my last post,) then yes, I don't see the issue. If you talk about your upcoming trip to Fire Island on Facebook, you cannot reasonably object if other people disseminate or correlate that information.

This is actually true only if your Facebook is set to be public. Otherwise, it's not a matter of public record, you've given privileged access to that information and anyone who betrays that is crossing the boundary of legality.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

The sexuality and gender identity of someone doesn't fall into that category though. And it's being done with the premeditated desire to inspire violence, either physical or in the form of hate speech, against that person.
I would say that, if someone had a public profile both before and after transition, it would be hard to argue that their transition was not a matter of public record. It's my understanding that that's how Milo is accused of "outing" trans students.

Hate speech isn't violence, and isn't a recognized concept in U.S. law (which is a good thing. Do you really want to criminalize criticism of, say Christian Dominionists?)

I think you would have a very hard time proving that Milo intended to inspire imminent violence against the targets of his insults, which is the standard you need to meet if you want to try to claim he represents a danger to the public.

E: This whole thing really should have been the world's easiest lay-up: Milo comes to UC Berkeley and announces, "Bears, did you know that, on this very campus, there are trans people, and Muslims, and, horror of horrors, illegals?" and the community responds, "Yeah, we don't really care, because UC Berkeley is an inclusive community that finds strength in our diversity." In the darkness, ten thousand voices laugh: "Your tricks have no power here, magician."

Instead, we got people unironically calling, "WE NEED NEED JACKBOOTED BLACK BLOC TO SMASH REPUBLICAN SKULLLS", burning ATMs and cop cars for some reason, and freaking the gently caress out.

(As a side note, if you want to defang the stigma of being trans, maybe don't act like people finding out someone is trans is equivalent to an accusation of witchcraft?)

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 5, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Except he was invited by campus conservatives, who would have likely used his information in the manner in which I described.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Except he was invited by campus conservatives, who would have likely used his information in the manner in which I described.

Let me just say that I highly doubt the Berkeley College Republicans go around beating up trans students and DREAMers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You're telling me the audience that invited him wouldn't have participated in his shtick.

I'm pretty sure the student would have AT LEAST suffered stigmatization from said peers, if violence wasn't on the table.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Let me just say that I highly doubt the Berkeley College Republicans go around beating up trans students and DREAMers.

There are a surprisingly large number of transphobic and racist shitheads, even in Berkeley.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dead Reckoning posted:

Instead, we got people unironically calling, "WE NEED NEED JACKBOOTED BLACK BLOC TO SMASH REPUBLICAN SKULLLS",

uhh well we do

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not really, we've known for a while that Yes California was Russian-backed. CalExit is a poo poo idea.

Yeah, I'm not really sure where secession would actually be a good idea. Some weird hypothetical where the country is unquestionably doomed but we somehow haven't yet been destroyed /dragged down into oblivion as well? And in a scenario where the U.S. is that hosed we could probably just, like, leave, and no one could stop us.

Also, given that Milo's doxxing in this very tour has resulted in a trans student being harassed until she left the school, I think acting like his actions would have been harmless if the protests hadn't stopped him isn't particularly reasonable.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I'm not really sure where secession would actually be a good idea. Some weird hypothetical where the country is unquestionably doomed but we somehow haven't yet been destroyed /dragged down into oblivion as well? And in a scenario where the U.S. is that hosed we could probably just, like, leave, and no one could stop us.

i will not rest until i can die for the glory of god emperor moonbeam

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Roland Jones posted:

Also, given that Milo's doxxing in this very tour has resulted in a trans student being harassed until she left the school, I think acting like his actions would have been harmless if the protests hadn't stopped him isn't particularly reasonable.

Free speech fundamentalism isn't about being reasonable.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Shbobdb posted:

There are a surprisingly large number of transphobic and racist shitheads, even in Berkeley.

This. "Love Me, I'm a liberal" was written for a reason.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dead Reckoning posted:

(As a side note, if you want to defang the stigma of being trans, maybe don't act like people finding out someone is trans is equivalent to an accusation of witchcraft?)

I'm often sympathetic to your rule of law arguments, but you are being seriously loving disingenuous here.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm often sympathetic to your rule of law arguments, but you are being seriously loving disingenuous here.

That's his role in the thread as the smug condescending libertarian guy, to be contrarian no matter how disingenuous it requires him to be.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

How baby does your dick have to be to not support bashing the fash

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Secession is for loser traitors, just take over the republic with numbers and reforms which favor those numbers.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
http://abc7news.com/news/milo-yiannopoulos-coming-back-to-berkeley/1737801/
Milo says he wants to go another round soon.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dammit, Milo, why can't you give speeches where I can protest them?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

That's impossible. Fascists are paper tigers and the moment you present them with violence, they run away like cowards.

I mean, that's what I've been led to believe by the brave pro-Nazi-punching antifascists, surely they wouldn't mislead me!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Now that we've all been sufficiently shamed for punching Nazis, maybe he feels like a safe space has been established for him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He wants to do it "within the next few months". He's trying to get his attention and outrage now and hope that his thing gets blocked or something again before the speech actually happens, maybe get another protest or something that can be used to claim that the left are the real bigots or whatever, and not actually have to do anything. And if he does have to go, great, he can rant for an hour and doxx a bunch of students in the hopes that people will call ICE on them. Or he can just make up another excuse to not go and blame that on liberals instead.

Hopefully the university just tells him to gently caress off this time, though given that they didn't see fit to do so in the first place my hopes aren't high.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You're probably right. Milo is, at his core, an attention whore. Threatening to hold another speech gets people to focus on him when they would normally have moved on.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

why didn't their Dem supermajority state government act to make these changes instead?
Whenever there is a post about theft or property crime on my local facebook group somebody chimes in to say "You can thank prop 47 for that."

...So I figure politicians didn't want to get blamed for causing more crime?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

We'll just go join Canada or something, screw the go it alone crap. See if a couple other states want to join.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

HelloSailorSign posted:

We'll just go join Canada or something, screw the go it alone crap. See if a couple other states want to join.

Canada wouldn't take us. We have more people than their entire country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it's kind of amazing how big California is. Our economy alone is bigger than most other countries' too.

But yeah, if we leave we should take Oregon, Washington, and maybe Nevada with us too. Form the new nation of "Best Coast".