Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I remember the story about how the writers for fantastic four watched the incredibles and had to run back home to rewrite a bunch of scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

But your average person literally wouldn't know what Green Lantern is if a real one came down from up high and slapped a ring on them. When it comes to DC, their public attention is probably just Superman and Batman. Green Lantern has no Q score, or whatever it's called.

I'd include Wonder Woman in that since she's had a place in the public consciousness much wider than her popularity in comics ever was.

Kind of an interesting aside here, but Wonder Woman comics were a black hole of quality for decades and were notoriously poor selling. The thing is that when the rights to make Wonder Woman comics went to DC, part of the deal was that they had to keep publishing Wonder Woman comics or the rights would revert. So they kept the character in print but for long stretches of time it was the dumping ground for the bottom of the barrel creative people. There were a few bright spots where some innovative newcomer got on the book for a short time or when some editor decided to try to change the situation, but in general they were awful. Eventually the contract was renegotiated so now DC owns the rights to Wonder Woman outright and without the obligation to keep it going there's been a lot more incentive to make good Wonder Woman comics.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

I don't think most people even know that Blade is a comic book character.

This was much to the chagrin of Marvel, by the way, who demanded stronger Marvel branding on future films.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

dont even fink about it posted:

This was much to the chagrin of Marvel, by the way, who demanded stronger Marvel branding on future films.

Thanks, Blade.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sometimes I wish there were two greenlighted threads; one for comic book movies & one for other movies. I really don't give a poo poo about comic book movies, but I guess the other thread would just be dead anyway so I'll probably stay subscribed to this one & just wear out my scroll wheel.

Anyway apparently von Trier is working on a new thing with Matt Dillon & Bruno Ganz:

quote:

USA in the 1970s. We follow the highly intelligent Jack over a span of 12 years and are introduced to the murders that define Jack's development as a serial killer. We experience the story from Jack's point of view, while he postulates each murder is an artwork in itself. As the inevitable police intervention is drawing nearer, he is taking greater and greater risks in his attempt to create the ultimate artwork. Along the way we experience Jack's descriptions of his personal condition, problems and thoughts through a recurring conversation with the unknown Verge - a grotesque mixture of sophistry mixed with an almost childlike self-pity and psychopathic explanations. The House That Jack Built is a dark and sinister story, yet presented through a philosophical and occasional humorous tale.

I kinda have an idea why this was greenlit tho.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Margot Robbie filming Tonya Harding's "suck my dick" scene.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

She was in Suicide Squad so this is a step above that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

She did win a Critic's Choice award for that. Let's see if she gets an Oscar for this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I haven't seen Suicide Squad, but Margot Robbie was very good in Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

You mean Oscar nominated Suicide Squad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R3c7jM-Wlk

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

MacheteZombie posted:

You mean Oscar nominated Suicide Squad

Not half as egregious as Oscar nominated Norbit

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I still feel that Best Picture winner Crash is on par with all of these.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 5, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GrandpaPants posted:

I still feel that Best Picture winner Crash is on par with all of these.

There's gotta be a worse movie that won best picture, but gently caress if I can name it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shakespeare in love beat saving private ryan.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People cried about The Departed winning, so I rented Babel to see what they were on about. It was terrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

There's gotta be a worse movie that won best picture, but gently caress if I can name it.

2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ROTK is better than Crash

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

precision posted:

2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2002 - "Chicago"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"

lol really dude.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2002 - "Chicago"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"

poo poo I just cut myself on this post

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Hurt Locker kept Avatar from winning so it's cool in my book.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

The Hurt Locker kept Avatar from winning so it's cool in my book.
Avatar winning on Oscar might at least explain why it's the highest grossing movie ever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol really dude.

Which part is unbelievable, that anyone wouldn't like those films or that anyone would see value in Crash? CD is just about the only place I've seen where "Crash is an actual piece of dogshit" is taken as gospel rather than just another opinion. And I very much think it's arguable that the movies I listed are at least "as dogshit as Crash", for various reasons.

e: holy poo poo though, Crash kept Brokeback Mountain from winning? That's really awful. Didn't know that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

shakespeare in love beat saving private ryan.

SIL is a good movie though.

You can argue that Ryan is a better film but so much of the controversy seems predicated on the idea that "Serious War Movie > Light Romantic Comedy" as opposed to actually comparing quality.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's hard to top Around the World in 80 Days winning best picture in 1956.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjiCO8k6Jhg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Crash is not a bad movie but it is very marginally OK. Some scenes are effective, others really not at all- the major problem is how much you can feel the script forcing things.

Do the Right Thing is really dead on in how it shows racial tensions just festering and erupting and by comparison, in Crash people just seem to argue and get in violent confrontations because the script needs them to. There's a great cast and I like the atmosphere but something about how the people act rings false.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, Crash had a fairly bad script but the execution of the film was pretty good. Which is a statement that I would apply to the other films I singled out as well. Forrest Gump in particular is god drat awful on paper.

And in what crazy universe is The English Patient even noteworthy at all?

precision fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 5, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

precision posted:

e: holy poo poo though, Crash kept Brokeback Mountain from winning? That's really awful. Didn't know that.

gently caress Crash

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is Brokeback Mountain at all effective for someone who doesn't get upset about the idea of gay cowboys?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

SIL is a good movie though.

You can argue that Ryan is a better film but so much of the controversy seems predicated on the idea that "Serious War Movie > Light Romantic Comedy" as opposed to actually comparing quality.

No, it's because Saving Private Ryan is a really good movie. And Shakespeare in Love just kind of...exists.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty sure I haven't heard anyone say anything about SIL since it came out.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

precision posted:

2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2002 - "Chicago"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"

I don't know if most of these are actively worse than Crash, but they're not very good. Braveheart's all right.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Menace 2 Society beating Philadelphia, Schindler's List and even Jurassic Park for the MTV Movie Awards will always be the best thing.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Casimir Radon posted:

Is Brokeback Mountain at all effective for someone who doesn't get upset about the idea of gay cowboys?

It's effective for anyone that likes good movies, because Ang Lee is a great fuckin' director, and Heath Ledger was a great actor.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, Brokeback is pretty good. It's, like, at least the second best Ang Lee movie I've seen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
True he really did peak as an artist when the adorable Hulk Poodle is shown during the Hulk Hound sequence.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Casimir Radon posted:

Well, it's not about gay cowboys - one is clearly bisexual and the other is so stunted he's effectively asexual - but yes it's a beautiful and extremely entertaining film on all fronts. It's one of my top 5 of all time.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

precision posted:

Yeah, Crash had a fairly bad script but the execution of the film was pretty good. Which is a statement that I would apply to the other films I singled out as well. Forrest Gump in particular is god drat awful on paper.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B57bOy2Dzjg

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

precision posted:

In a universe where people have good opinions? I seriously have not heard a bad word about the english patient in my whole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Had to go see A Dog's Purpose with my girlfriend. It made me wonder about why that movie was made. Even without the whole dog abuse thing, the movie seemed designed to make its core demographic (huge dog lovers) cry for the entire movie. I did laugh at the realization that the director's name is Lasse and that one of the main actors is named Pooch. Also how Douglas Quaid's character's father is driven to alcoholism by his nihilistic response to the prospect of nuclear war in the Cuban Missile Crisis.

• Locked thread