Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bloodychill posted:

I beat it back at release doing warps and using a P wing to get through that endless tank level in world 8. One of these days maybe I'll give a full run a try.

I think there's just a regular level (the one with the angry sun) that I used to P-Wing through, but hell, if you play through world 7, you've earned those damned P wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Every time I see one of these I'm so glad I'm immune to MMORPGs.

Stop loving crying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Who's laughing now, Father Gascoigne, huh? Who's laughing now?! Not you, cause you're dead!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ranzear posted:

Something I made years ago.

:cheerdoge:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TheScott2K posted:

Stop loving crying.

At the very least Second Life cannot be shut down. Too many bonds are made there. Bonds made outta hemp, katanas and giant dongs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eaX9nhoW3k

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TheScott2K posted:

Stop loving crying.

You've been on SA for almost 15 years. Surely you must have at least some empathy for people being sad that a community they've been a part for for over a decade in closing its doors?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Stop loving crying.

I think stuff like this is really neat actually. It speaks to an interesting aspect of games to be able to become new spaces or dimensions where people who would not have otherwise interacted or connected hang out and build friendships. I remember playing Left 4 Dead regularly with a couple guys I knew from university and even though we ran in different circles in our regular lives, I still have these memories like we used to hang out together. Like, the video game manifestations of characters and being able to control them and interact creates a really interesting sense of presence in my memory. I feel like my social life and friendships in general have only been augmented by the addition of virtual spaces and activities and that's a really cool and real way for people to interact and something about games that I think people brush off or discount too easily.

I'm not surprised that people got emotional about the closure of the world they've been hanging out in for 18 years. There's a lot of memories there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I mean it's technically only a game but it's a game that people have been playing for over a decade and as it's an MMO it's got a heavy focus on social scenes. It's not hard for someone to be nostalgic about it, especially because they were probably literally a kid when they started and it's a good ol' reminder that nothing will be around forever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Aye, a game is a place where memories happen, just like a school or a bar you frequent or a playground.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
MMOs are weird like that in that if you get into them you'll play them more than pretty much every other game you've ever had combined, but at the same time they're the only type of games that once they're gone, they're gone. Like sometimes people can set up their own servers but it's still really not the same thing any more.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bicyclops posted:

Who's laughing now, Father Gascoigne, huh? Who's laughing now?! Not you, cause you're dead!

(Actually Gascoigne has a real sad story so I wouldn't gloat)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The first MMORPG I played was called tibia and it was v bad but I put probably hundreds of hours into it with my best friend in like 2004

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
to be fair, like everyone in every souls game has a real sad story. Doesn't mean you shouldn't dance on their god damned graves when you finally put them down.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I always took it our protag/self didn't give a poo poo considering how much hosed up crap we do.

I mean Demon Souls had a boss going yo leave us alone and you just went nah and killed her in cold blood.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheScott2K posted:

Stop loving crying.
lol you're a shithead.

Guy Mann posted:

You've been on SA for almost 15 years. Surely you must have at least some empathy for people being sad that a community they've been a part for for over a decade in closing its doors?
hmmm empathy no that's too difficult.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wonder what happens to the players when an ancient MMO closes down. Do they try moving on to something modern? Do they move on to the next game which is slightly newer or do they just give up on MMOs in general?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

that's really impressive that No Man's Sky knocked cancergame off the pretentiousness championship. Everyone had it as a lock for years and years of previews

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Viewtiful Jew posted:

At the very least Second Life cannot be shut down. Too many bonds are made there. Bonds made outta hemp, katanas and giant dongs.
You mean they constantly make money off people who they charge every month to pay the entire server cost for what they use and then some

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Never understood the appeal of MMOs personally, it's like single player games except with worse gameplay and I personally find random gamers to be some of the worst people to socialize with on the planet. I understand that it can be fun to play with friends or maybe if you find a nice guild or something but to be fair almost anything is fun with friends.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Help Im Alive posted:

The first MMORPG I played was called tibia and it was v bad but I put probably hundreds of hours into it with my best friend in like 2004

i also quote unquote played this as a kid but i never got farther than loading it up and walking around for a few minutes before never playing again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFETPWuHYrA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ekster posted:

Never understood the appeal of MMOs personally, it's like single player games except with worse gameplay and I personally find random gamers to be some of the worst people to socialize with on the planet. I understand that it can be fun to play with friends or maybe if you find a nice guild or something but to be fair almost anything is fun with friends.

My two favorite MMOs were games that I played because of their story and worldbuilding elements, mostly in spite of their MMO gameplay

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ekster posted:

If I didn't have friends who I played the game with for 10+ years then I'd never touch WoW again. Playing an MMO solo sounds horrendous to me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CrashCat posted:

that's really impressive that No Man's Sky knocked cancergame off the pretentiousness championship. Everyone had it as a lock for years and years of previews

I think the fact that the kid actually died during its development takes it from pretentious to genuinely tragic. It's less an art piece and more watching someone cope in real time.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I think we can all agree that No Man's Sky is a different kind of tragedy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ekster posted:

I think we can all agree that No Man's Sky is a different kind of tragedy.

That's more tragic on the level of seeing someone beaned in the groin by a soccer ball every five minutes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When I saw the first previews of NMS I thought "it's rare to see a project compete so aggressively for Most Disappointing Game of the Year right off the bat" and I wasn't wrong.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I thought it was mostly the autistic space nerds here that got conned by NMS, but apparently 4chan is full of em too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My copy of No Man's Sky just came in, looking forward to it!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
At one point during development the No Man's Sky team claimed that they "had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength.". Even if you take the most critical eye possible to the religious significance the creators of The Dragon, Cancer put on the game it's still nowhere near as pretentious as the things No Man's Sky was offering.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My copy of No Man's Sky just came in, looking forward to it!

Aren't you going to feel foolish when Star Citizen comes out!

Guy Mann posted:

At one point during development the No Man's Sky team claimed that they "had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength.". Even if you take the most critical eye possible to the religious significance the creators of The Dragon, Cancer put on the game it's still nowhere near as pretentious as the things No Man's Sky was offering.

Jesus Christ that is some severe fart huffing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEqu2ITiOPI

Sometimes I remember how awesome the intro to Neo Contra was and the rest of my day is a little better.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Dewgy posted:

I think the fact that the kid actually died during its development takes it from pretentious to genuinely tragic. It's less an art piece and more watching someone cope in real time.

Regardless, was this game at any point a sound idea?

I understand the need to cope with this terrible situation and I realize that people come to grips with tragedy in their own ways, but the creation of this game doesn't seem like a good way to do this. I know that the sentiment is genuine, but the whole thing seems off you know?

I personally don't think it's pretension, just misguided ideals.

And yeah, NMS is bad. I put a bunch of hours into it (:catdrugs:) and got to a point where I have no drive to play it again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shattered Soldier is better :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

(Actually Gascoigne has a real sad story so I wouldn't gloat)

Real sad story, huh? Well what about the mom that lies dead near him on that roof?

What about the rights of that little girl?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Shattered Soldier is better :colbert:

Shattered Soldier is definitely a better game but Neo Contra is still cool for finding a way to make Contra work in 3d.

Also one of the bosses is an evil Spuds MacKenzie dog who can talk and pilot robots and no attention is drawn to it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Contra 4 is the only one I've really played but it owns

I also watched someone play whichever Contra Treasure made and it looked fun. One of the bosses reminded me of sevenforce

e: i looked it up and apparently treasure did not make contra hard corps my bad

oddium posted:

i also quote unquote played this as a kid but i never got farther than loading it up and walking around for a few minutes before never playing again

You made the right choice

Last year I bumped into the friend I used to play it with and he was still playing in 2016 :eyepop:

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 5, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Real sad story, huh? Well what about the mom that lies dead near him on that roof?

What about the rights of that little girl?

It's kind of a good thing they died before they went mad like the rest of the townfolks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

El Diablo Bob O posted:

Regardless, was this game at any point a sound idea?

I understand the need to cope with this terrible situation and I realize that people come to grips with tragedy in their own ways, but the creation of this game doesn't seem like a good way to do this. I know that the sentiment is genuine, but the whole thing seems off you know?

I personally don't think it's pretension, just misguided ideals.

While I totally agree, it's got kind of a weird outsider art vibe to it. I think a lot of the negative feelings around it stem from that it had to be marketed somehow, which is just wrong for a project like that.

"YEAH! CANCER! GET SOME! #OUYA" was... not the best thing for it.

It's probably the most art-game art-game ever, if just because I don't think I've ever really seen a video game that was 100% not designed to be entertaining. It's an expression of the creators' grief more than anything else, which is really kind of fascinating. Even other art games are made by people who wanted to make art, TDC was made just because they didn't know what else to do to cope.

• Locked thread