Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I finally decided to watch the adaptation and knowing the ant arc is coming is like re-reading golden age berserk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

Can I be baffled at how far fairy tail somehow managed to fall?
I ain't judging you man because I too have enjoyed confirmed bad comics, but what heights did Fairy Tail ever reach?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
As someone who has never read or watched Fairy Tail, what was so bad about it?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Just read the newest chapter to see if it was still bad and there's a scene with the main chars, the guy and the girl, are both in bed together naked and I thought, "oh, the author finally shipped them together and they're loving now I guess?" and that didn't even bother me b/c of how bad the manga is I figured it was par for the course. It had a lot of promise at the beginning but then just gets very stale since I don't think the author knows where it's supposed to go and he's not that good at making it up, iuno.

Lpzie fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 5, 2017

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I hope we get another 10 chapters this year

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lpzie posted:

Just read the newest chapter to see if it was still bad and there's a scene with the main chars, the guy and the girl, are both in bed together naked and I thought, "oh, the author finally shipped them together and they're loving now I guess?" and that didn't even bother me b/c of how bad the manga is I figured it was par for the course. It had a lot of promise at the beginning but then just gets very stall since I don't think the author knows where it's supposed to go and he's not that good at making it up, iuno.

For the record, while there's lots of sexual stuff in Fairy Tail (much of it quite distasteful), they weren't actually having sex, just snuggling to treat hypothermia.

Fairy Tail is basically OK (never exceptional) up until...some point in the Tenrou Island arc, I guess? I think that's where the trend where a character is losing a fight overwhelmingly and then suddenly wins by thinking about their friends really became a thing. The arc after that (the Grand Magic Games) is probably where the fanservice stuff gets genuinely creepy.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 5, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Pierson posted:

I ain't judging you man because I too have enjoyed confirmed bad comics, but what heights did Fairy Tail ever reach?

None, but it managed to fall anyway. Hence my bafflement.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Whooping Crabs posted:

I hope we get another 10 chapters this year

same. we might even get more if he's fixed his hosed up back. i still can't believe how he hosed his back up lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Schubalts posted:

As someone who has never read or watched Fairy Tail, what was so bad about it?

Take One Piece art style, with heavy influence on how big you can make main character's breasts, combine it with completely stock shounen I FIGHT FOR MY FRIENDS shlock (the protagonist was raised by a DRAGON but he's DUMB) and ride the wave of mediocrity for years.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Weird how opinions can differ.

The Hunter Exam arc is my absolute favorite. It was basically a completely different story without Nen, but having a a manga without explicit supernatural powers, just insanely skilled people was pretty cool. Not knowing that all the weird and awesome stuff came from the same source gave the HxH universe a much broader scope. It was less like a typical shonen and more like a completely open adventure world ,where you didn't actually knew what could happen. It kind of reminded me of old pulp stories, with all the super stuff either being a result of some crypto-zoologie or "the powers of the human spirit"

I mean, Nen is easily one of the best super powers in manga ever, but the very first arc is something very unique to me.

e X fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 5, 2017

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lpzie posted:

Just read the newest chapter to see if it was still bad and there's a scene with the main chars, the guy and the girl, are both in bed together naked and I thought, "oh, the author finally shipped them together and they're loving now I guess?" and that didn't even bother me b/c of how bad the manga is I figured it was par for the course. It had a lot of promise at the beginning but then just gets very stale since I don't think the author knows where it's supposed to go and he's not that good at making it up, iuno.

im glad leeorio and kurapika are finally getting together.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

e X posted:

Weird how opinions can differ.

The Hunter Exam arc is my absolute favorite. It was basically a completely different story without Nen, but having a a manga without explicit supernatural powers, just insanely skilled people was pretty cool. Not knowing that all the weird and awesome stuff came from the same source gave the HxH universe a much broader scope. It was less like a typical shonen and more like a completely open adventure world ,where you didn't actually knew what could happen. It kind of reminded me of old pulp stories, with all the super stuff either being a result of some crypto-zoologie or "the powers of the human spirit"

I mean, Nen is easily one of the best super powers in manga ever, but the very first arc is something very unique to me.

This is pretty much my exact reason why the Hunter Exam is one of my favorite arcs (just slightly behind Greed Island). It just has a sense of adventure that future arcs kind of lack thanks to the introduction of Nen neatly explaining all of the weird poo poo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Parrotine posted:

No way bud, you're just looking through that with rose colored shades, step back and try to relive the horror, I dare you
I have, and will again.

I watched Hunter x Hunter for the first time in 2015. I binged the Exam arc in a single weekend, loved it, took a break, then finished up the rest of the series about a month later. Later I went out and bought the first five volumes of the series just so I could revisit the Exam arc whenever I wanted to. When the series got picked up by Cartoon Network, I took time out of my busy schedule to catch the dub of the Exam arc before getting too busy and having to fall off it again around Heaven's Arena.

The Exam arc is great. It's a solid introduction to the main characters and what makes them tick, pretty much the only time they all work together as an ensemble to overcome their problems (there's Yorknew, sure, but Kurapika's mostly doing his own thing and their paths just happen to cross at a few points), the challenges they face are largely non-standard divergences from the typical shounen fighting formula - which greatly appeals to the Araki fan in me - and without nen a lot of it comes down to their ability to outwit the opponents and obstacles in their way, relying on homegrown abilities over classic power-ups, all wrapped up in a world that's deceptively cheery but actually quite sinister. Zevil Island in particular, start to finish, is just a fantastic sequence.

The whole series if great, but the Hunter Exam arc is probably still my favorite overall.

The one concession I'll grant you is that watching it week-to-week, rather than back-to-back, is a little slow, yeah; but the content's still great, even if there were a slightly more optimal way for them to deliver it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Bad Seafood posted:

The Exam arc is great. It's a solid introduction to the main characters and what makes them tick, pretty much the only time they all work together as an ensemble to overcome their problems (there's Yorknew, sure, but Kurapika's mostly doing his own thing and their paths just happen to cross at a few points), the challenges they face are largely non-standard divergences from the typical shounen fighting formula - which greatly appeals to the Araki fan in me - and without nen a lot of it comes down to their ability to outwit the opponents and obstacles in their way, relying on homegrown abilities over classic power-ups, all wrapped up in a world that's deceptively cheery but actually quite sinister. Zevil Island in particular, start to finish, is just a fantastic sequence.

This is the reason why HxH remains one of my favorite manga. It is also the reason why I dislike the (climax) of the chimera ants arc. basically, most shonen have their main character be a fighter and the climax of every given arc is them defeating the bad guy of the arc. But HxH handles that very differently. Gon doesn't even fight in the first two arcs and the Ryodan are fundamentally overcome via mind games and good strategy. To contrast that maybe with Fairy Tail, whose biggest problem is probably how absolutely generic the plot is.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The climax of the Ant arc is like the biggest subversion of shonen clichés though? the baddy dies in the arms of his loved one happy to be with her after and our hero does terrible and horrific things to himself throwing away everything he has left in life for vengeance. It's also a pretty clear shot at things like SSJ

e: Like the Gon/Pitou thing makes you feel awful and not at all heroic and cheering like when the hero triumphs over the villain. It's a miserable devastating scene.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The dub of Hunter x Hunter is pretty good, and I'm glad its got the chance to be on Toonami

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

The climax of the Ant arc is like the biggest subversion of shonen clichés though? the baddy dies in the arms of his loved one happy to be with her after and our hero does terrible and horrific things to himself throwing away everything he has left in life for vengeance. It's also a pretty clear shot at things like SSJ

e: Like the Gon/Pitou thing makes you feel awful and not at all heroic and cheering like when the hero triumphs over the villain. It's a miserable devastating scene.

The whole arc is loving brutal and then Togashi revealed a whole expanse of even more terrifying and less comprehensible threats that are more at home in Junji Ito manga than the happy shonen about children this series lures people in with

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shugojin posted:

The whole arc is loving brutal and then Togashi revealed a whole expanse of even more terrifying and less comprehensible threats that are more at home in Junji Ito manga than the happy shonen about children this series lures people in with

Maybe Togashi is doing us a favor because actually seeing those Lovecraftian BS things would drive us all insane. That's why he doesn't do the chapters.

...kinda really fuckin' wanna see how they handle those unfighteable threats tho. Goddamnit.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So when I first watched the series I saw the last episode the very day they announced the end of the last hiatus before the current one and my only regret is that I can't do that again.

I am, however, trying to get a friend to watch it, fingers crossed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jose posted:

same. we might even get more if he's fixed his hosed up back. i still can't believe how he hosed his back up lol

i don't get it, how does working on your stomach gently caress up your back

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sometimes I sleep on my stomach and when I wake up my back sometimes hurts.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Kurtofan posted:

i don't get it, how does working on your stomach gently caress up your back

It's a constant overextension of the shoulders, which pulls on the rest of your back. With his arms held above his head all the time, his neck probably at an awkward angle, combined with spending extreme amounts of time laying down, all of which contribute super heavily to accelerated back pain.

At least when you sit all the time those muscles are constantly compressed, which they can handle a lot better than being extended, though they're still too actively at work.

Edit: A simpler explanation is that having muscles work low-key all the time is basically what causes chronic muscle pain.

mdct fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 6, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Feels like the chimera ant arc will never end

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I can't believe Togashi made Gon's new arc a cooking manga style story and is putting the dark continent and murder boat arcs on hold so that we can watch Gon discover the perfect cup of coffee.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Crain posted:

I can't believe Togashi made Gon's new arc a cooking manga style story and is putting the dark continent and murder boat arcs on hold so that we can watch Gon discover the perfect cup of coffee.

I think Togashi would make me care about that cup of coffee tbh.

I still think he'd make an amazing card game manga.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im absolutely in love with the DC arc and all the factors about to boil over into an absolute bloodbath in a dangerous foreign land and if ging goes through with the plan we could very well see him fighting beyond or zodiacs (i have no idea how chrollo and hisoka are gonna deal with what they're doing with all this going on AND the prince war AND kurapika in the middle of it all)

leorio is 20 breaths of fresh air in a crisp spring morning

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think my favourite fight pre Ants is for sure the RAYZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA one. I rewatched it recently and it's goddamn phenomenal for so many reasons. Speaking of amazing subversions I still love that the reason Ging left is exactly the one he gave at the start of the series, "I wanted to go and do cool poo poo lol"

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Gon isn't even mad he left or nothing he understands his dad wanted to go ride a frog that's riding a dragon. He just wants to be there with him.............

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Work Friend Keven posted:

Gon isn't even mad he left or nothing he understands his dad wanted to go ride a frog that's riding a dragon. He just wants to be there with him.............

No Gon did not really even want to do that. He just wanted to talk to the guy for a bit.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's weird how Gon is so ambivalent about his dad but at the same time it's the driving force for so much of the manga.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's really good for connecting the various arcs but for the majority of each arc it's really easy to forget that the whole premise is Gon looking for Ging. The progression and sideplots are all really great too and it almost feels like it good go on forever without repeating. Still raging they excised the wolfbear arc from the anime, shameful.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Leorio owning Ging is the best part of the series so far because Leorio owns and Ging is a tool

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gon was looking for ging, but with very low expectations for their meeting. ging still managed to go lower.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Leorio owning Ging is the best part of the series so far because Leorio owns and Ging is a tool

:yeah:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's weird how Gon is so ambivalent about his dad but at the same time it's the driving force for so much of the manga.

Gon is just the kind of guy who becomes obsessed with whatever he sets as his goal, even if he isn't that emotionally invested in it. It's sort of like if you're playing a level in some video game and you make yourself keep playing it over and over until you succeed, even if you aren't really emotionally invested in it or anything - you just don't want to stop in the middle of doing something. It's like that with Gon meeting Ging - he set that as his goal and he isn't the type of guy to give up half-way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i love how he's so despised someone punching him in the face nearly becomes chairman

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
My favorite thing about Ging is how we heard about Gon's dad as this prominent, elusive Hunter that everybody knew and whose work everybody respected, and his exploits became bigger and bigger as we heard more about him, but then you start to realize "wait, most of these people Gon's been meeting telling him about Ging are all his friends..." and when we finally meet the man himself he's a scruffy dirtbag that almost nobody actually likes. I love it. A lesser series would have a slightly flawed but otherwise extremely powerful/charismatic dude who had some bigger reason to leave Gon, but no, Ging's just a deadbeat who didn't want to raise a kid.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

My favorite thing about Ging is how we heard about Gon's dad as this prominent, elusive Hunter that everybody knew and whose work everybody respected, and his exploits became bigger and bigger as we heard more about him, but then you start to realize "wait, most of these people Gon's been meeting telling him about Ging are all his friends..." and when we finally meet the man himself he's a scruffy dirtbag that almost nobody actually likes. I love it. A lesser series would have a slightly flawed but otherwise extremely powerful/charismatic dude who had some bigger reason to leave Gon, but no, Ging's just a deadbeat who didn't want to raise a kid.

To be fair, the series does portray Ging's wanderlust as a positive trait, with his conversation with Gon basically paints him as someone who was just so passionate about exploring and learning new things that it became his top goal. So it's not like he didn't take care of Gon due to sheer laziness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HxH is genuinely good about making characters have actual flaws and not the flaw of I'm Too Nice or whatever. The characters are all largely hosed up weirdos and the probably morally strongest guy in the show is Leorio of all people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, the series does portray Ging's wanderlust as a positive trait, with his conversation with Gon basically paints him as someone who was just so passionate about exploring and learning new things that it became his top goal. So it's not like he didn't take care of Gon due to sheer laziness.

It portrays it as a positive trait until you actually meet the guy and a lecture hall full of hunters start jeering him and telling him to stop being such a shitheel and go talk to his kid.