Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

apparently in the time capsule if you choose to manage the onboard drive with accounts there is a hidden admin account created with your device password used as the account pw. you can access your time capsule from the Internet as a normal samba share using the IP and this account lol

nowhere does it tell you this and if you chose 12345 as your time capsule password then lol

e: furthermore, if you want to use the time machine software with account management enabled, you have to feed it the admin credentials, otherwise backing up is really broken

listen heathen

it

just

works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

exploded mummy posted:

listen heathen

it

just

works

i just want a good router and an internet accessible NAS and a secure and reliable way of backing up wirelessly all squeezed into one tiny white box, is that such an ask

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

http://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/14weeks.html posted:

Apple stated that Q1 FY2017 was an all-time record for quarterly revenue. The media dutifully and mostly uncritically spread this “great” news for Apple. But the headlines were fake news. Technically the claim is true, the revenue was an all-time record. True but misleading. Although Apple didn’t lie as such, you might say there was a sin of omission, and a definite spin of the facts. Most Apple fiscal quarters are 13 weeks long. Once in a while, however, they need a 14 week quarter. You might call it a “leap quarter”. There was a good explanation of this financial practice a few years ago in Slate. Apple’s Q1 2017 was a 14 week quarter, for the first time since Q1 2013.

Adjusted for the extra week, Apple actually had another down quarter.

its more of a quarter with a one-week dongle imo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i miss these

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

mishaq posted:

i miss these

tw anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KH2gc11XQU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

apparently in the time capsule if you choose to manage the onboard drive with accounts there is a hidden admin account created with your device password used as the account pw. you can access your time capsule from the Internet as a normal samba share using the IP and this account lol

nowhere does it tell you this and if you chose 12345 as your time capsule password then lol

e: furthermore, if you want to use the time machine software with account management enabled, you have to feed it the admin credentials, otherwise backing up is really broken

please don't share had

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mishaq posted:

i miss these

do you miss the X10 camera popunder ads that came up on hotmail back in the day

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mishaq posted:

i miss these

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
x10: we know you use this to spy on girls

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:jackbud:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rex-Goliath posted:

unban creamknob

http://www.mobipicker.com/apple-developing-chip-macbook-pro-2017-arm-based-chip-deliver-better-power-efficiency/

Apple Developing Own Chip For MacBook Pro (2017); ARM-Based Chip To Deliver Better Power Efficiency

apple tired of amd being piss poor competition to intel and gonna do it themselves

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

uncurable mlady posted:

why don't you love your child enough to get them a mac?

Spotlight streams keyboard input to Apple by default, IIRC.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
you uncheck 2 boxes in the spotlight settings and you're done though

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Phoenixan posted:

you uncheck 2 boxes in the spotlight settings and you're done though

99% of people use the default settings and never change them for the life of the device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The XKCD Larper posted:

99% of people use the default settings and never change them for the life of the device.

the other 1% apparently pay to change them

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sniep posted:

do you miss the X10 camera popunder ads that came up on hotmail back in the day

how about the "win a free iPod!" pyramid schemes which flooded every forum on the internet with people begging for seven other people to sign up for the either credit card offers or whatever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shifty Pony posted:

how about the "win a free iPod!" pyramid schemes which flooded every forum on the internet with people begging for seven other people to sign up for the either credit card offers or whatever.

holy poo poo

those SA sign scams were hilarious

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The XKCD Larper posted:

Spotlight streams keyboard input to Apple by default, IIRC.

but only what you type into spotlight, so it can also offer web suggestions etc

no different than doing a google search, except you can turn it off if you want

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doc Block posted:

but only what you type into spotlight, so it can also offer web suggestions etc

no different than doing a google search, except you can turn it off if you want

it is different because Apple doesn't store personally identifying information with your queries because they are not in the business of tracking you.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
well I mean in the sense that it's no more privacy intrusive or anything than doing a google search.

my initial read of his post made it seem like he was saying Apple was using spotlight as a system wide keylogger or something.

I was just pointing out that spotlight sending your search queries off to Apple isn't a big deal. especially since it can be turned off, and because (as you pointed out) Apple isn't an advertising company masquerading as a tech company.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

apples spaceship is 2 years behind schedule because they wanted subtle fire exit signs http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/7/14535676/apple-spaceship-campus-perfectionist-requirements

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

One particular highlight of the report is Apple demanding that doorways be perfectly flat, with no subtle bump between the outside and inside of the building. Apple reportedly wouldn’t give in because it worried that “if engineers had to adjust their gait while entering the building, they risked distraction from their work.”

Reuters calls out several other instances of excessive attention to detail:

No vents or pipes could be reflected in the building’s glass exterior
There are 30 pages of guidelines on how to use wood
Apple inspected “thousands of ceiling panels” to ensure they were “immaculate inside and out”
Debate over what doorknobs should look like went on for over a year and a half
cocaine's a hell of a drug

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

while I admire apple's tolerance requirements (assuming they are putting up the necessary $$$$) that's going to be problematic when the building settles

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

its because steve is gone, nobody is there to just make a decision on doorknobs (after publicly shaming and firing the guy he put in charge of doorknobs)

"i told you I wanted BRUSHED steel you dumb gently caress! you piece of poo poo! this is SATIN CHROME you loving SHITSTAIN! take them ALL off right now!! I will loving END YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

hobbesmaster posted:

while I admire apple's tolerance requirements (assuming they are putting up the necessary $$$$) that's going to be problematic when the building settles there is an earthquake

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Tolerances, the distance materials may deviate from desired measurements, were a particular focus. On many projects, the standard is 1/8 of an inch at best; Apple often demanded far less, even for hidden surfaces.

The company's keen design sense enhanced the project, but its expectations sometimes clashed with construction realities, a former architect said.

"With phones, you can build to very, very minute tolerances," he said. "You would never design to that level of tolerance on a building. Your doors would jam."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

When Apple tapped general contractors Holder Construction and Rudolph & Sletten to finish the main building in 2015, one of the first orders of business was finalizing a door handle for conference rooms and offices.

After months of back and forth, construction workers presented their work to a manager from Apple’s in-house team, who turned the sample over and over in his hands. Finally, he said he felt a faint bump.

The construction team double-checked the measurements, unable to find any imperfections – down to the nanometer. Still, Apple insisted on another version.

The construction manager who was so intimately involved in the door handle did not see its completion. Down to his last day, Apple was still fiddling with the design - after a year and a half of debate.

When construction wraps, the only fingerprints on the site will be Jobs'. Workers often had to wear gloves to avoid marring the delicate materials, said Brett Davis, regional director of the District Council 16 union for painters and related crafts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe instead of sperging over doorknobs they could worry about making a computer that isn't complete poo poo sometime this decade.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

maybe instead of sperging over doorknobs they could worry about making a computer that isn't complete poo poo sometime this decade.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

don't worry the next mbp will use an arm processor ftw!!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

they had to distract the design team with doorknobs to let the hardware team work

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

while I admire apple's tolerance requirements (assuming they are putting up the necessary $$$$) that's going to be problematic when the building settles

seems more like a case of people with experience in one field thinking that it carries over into another and falling back on aesthetics to cover up their complete lack of actual knowledge.

thresholds on exterior doors aren't some multi-century conspiracy to trip inattentive "engineers".

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Apple courageously designs spaceship campus as world's largest bikeshed

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/06/apple-ultra-accessory-connector-uac-mfi-made-for-iphone-headphones/

MORE DONGLES!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

no, the doorknobs come first

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

oh god I've used that connector before and it manages to be even worse and less durable than mini-USB.

why the gently caress not require USB-c everywhere? the licensing revenue from lightning has to be trivial, are they that obsessed with control over things being able to plug into the iPhone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

oh god I've used that connector before and it manages to be even worse and less durable than mini-USB.

why the gently caress not require USB-c everywhere? the licensing revenue from lightning has to be trivial, are they that obsessed with control over things being able to plug into the iPhone?

what does your heart tell u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LastInLine posted:

what does your heart tell u

voice of steve in heart: donggleesssss

• Locked thread