Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

New Leaf posted:

I was messing around with a B team and discovered that 4-star Serra is a MUCH better healer than 5-star Sakura. Am I missing something? Is it just Physic being bugged or is there something else going on?

Physic's bugged, yeah - the splash healing doesn't work at the moment. It's still an option to heal from range (which can be useful), but otherwise it's the worst heal currently. Sakura will have better stats, but that won't affect healing power.

Serra has a few advantages. Recover is the strongest heal - 15hp/turn, and if you don't need her speed buff then that goes up to 25 every third heal, which is pretty significant when the tankiest unit right now has around 50hp. She also provides a nice attack buff to adjacent allies. Her only real flaw is that she can't heal herself (you can use Absorb, but that's a penalty to her offense and it rarely heals enough to make a difference). She's also bad for 9-5, but that's just a bit of a pain of a map in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

AweStriker posted:

I'd take it with a grain of salt since among other things I note that Raigh isn't on it at all.

And the explanations aren't really complete. Like the fact that all of the story units are C tier seems unreasonable. At the very least, Sharena would at least be decent when 5 stars. Her rally attack can be super useful for bringing enemies into one shot range, and no one really knows how her 5 star stats will be.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

vulturesrow posted:

Is 5* Abel and 4* Hinata good enough to not have to re-roll?

Anyone?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Zotix posted:

Camilla is flying, and is green. Which means archers and red units(the most popular kind) are strong to her. Not to mention that she gets a speed debuff on defense. Very, very lackluster.

The tomes work like the games so green mages also wreck her.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

My (admittedly 4*) Abel turned out poo poo, and Hinata not much better, but ymmv. Personally I would reroll to try to get one of the all-star units (Hector, Takumi), but you might spend a long time rerolling.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

MegaZeroX posted:

And the explanations aren't really complete. Like the fact that all of the story units are C tier seems unreasonable. At the very least, Sharena would at least be decent when 5 stars. Her rally attack can be super useful for bringing enemies into one shot range, and no one really knows how her 5 star stats will be.

For that matter, Anna gets Vantage. She's still likely to crumple to ranged units but that will be quite valuable if the meta shifts in favor of melee units.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Effie says a huge 'gently caress you and die' to every rerolled meme team of lords. It's a thing of protein-fueled beauty.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DrManiac posted:

The tomes work like the games so green mages also wreck her.

No, they don't. Red mages wreck her instead. Camilla's Res isn't amazing so she'll still take a hefty amount from Green tomes, but unless the Green mage has Excalibur/Rexcalibur (which deals bonus damage against flyers), she's fine.

Good enough as anything, having a 5* unit will carry you quite a way. You're doubling up on colours, which isn't amazing, but there are worse scenarios.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MegaZeroX posted:

Actually, you get more feathers than advertised. Not only do you get up to 1600 from offensive, you get up to 500 from defense, and up to 5,000 from your rank. If you max out the offensive and defensive feathers, you will probably be in the top 50,0000 so you should get 3,100 feathers every 3 days, so it should take only 3 weeks to get 20,000 feathers.

Either way, they're basically this game's friend points. When you start you look at them and go "Oh man, I can get good stuff if I had more of these, it'll take me forever to get enough!" But within a few months everyone will have more than they want and complain they don't have anything to spend feathers on.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

EFF GON GIVE IT TO YA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont even really like this game that much what the gently caress

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Don't feel like you have to re-roll of course, if you don't want to don't. You should get enough orbs to comfortably roll 15-20 characters while breezing through normal mode and the beginnings of hard mode (basically until stamina costs get pretty up there), at which point you can start saving for different banners if you like.

Both Abel and Hinata look alright, they basically eat Swords/Greens respectively but they'll have a lot of trouble against other things, especially high-Def enemies, and are going to be pretty fragile. So it depends. What else did you get?

Edit: Like applesnoranges said, basically any 5* will carry you through the early game. And long term you'll make more pulls and hopefully at least get some 4*s that can fill out the team and eventually upgrade to 5* and give you a murder team. 5* Abel looks pretty good though!

ShinyDais fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 5, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Clawtopsy posted:

EFF GON GIVE IT TO YA

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

EFF GON DELIVER IT TO YA

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

Actually, you get more feathers than advertised. Not only do you get up to 1600 from offensive, you get up to 500 from defense, and up to 5,000 from your rank. If you max out the offensive and defensive feathers, you will probably be in the top 50,0000 so you should get 3,100 feathers every 3 days, so it should take only 3 weeks to get 20,000 feathers.

Edit:

Here is the rank stats since it is really obscure right now.

Arena seasons last a week and reset on Tuesdays.

So draw that out by a few weeks :v:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I'm around 1800th in PvP right now with 2 level 40 5* Takumis, 5* Robin and an underlevelled Clarine. Thats about 3800 points, from 7 streaking at advanced difficulty.

I agree 100% with Hector and Takumi being in SS tier as they are entirely insane, but due to how dumb the AI is and how massively common Takumi is I don't really see how Cordelia can sit in the same tier as the other two, at least for PvP.

Robin is extremely strong for me as well, both for killing armored units and wrecking Lyns and Takumis in arena

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

$20 for a pull of the gacha are you loving kidding me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tithin posted:

35 orbs is nearly two pulls worth

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
It seems like Abel is perfectly viable as a 4*. The only skill he misses out on if HP +5 (capping at +4) and the weapon upgrade. Otherwise he has access to everything the 5* Abel does.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I appreciate that upgraded units can reach their full potential; the only other gacha game I've played is Record Keeper where a 4* relic that gets upgraded to 5* will still be worse than an equivalent natural 5*, and anything below 3* is worthless.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
I don't get this Abel hype. Maybe I just got really unlucky with my stat growth so far, but at level 22 4* he's sitting at 20 Atk. My healers have more attack than him. Yes he's got cavalry mobility and double attack, but what point is all that when he does 0 damage to anyone with an even remotely respectable defense?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

tithin posted:

Is this your first gacha game? FFRK is $38 Canadian for a pull. (don't spend money on gachas)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Kronikle posted:

I don't get this Abel hype. Maybe I just got really unlucky with my stat growth so far, but at level 22 4* he's sitting at 20 Atk. My healers have more attack than him. Yes he's got cavalry mobility and double attack, but what point is all that when he does 0 damage to anyone with an even remotely respectable defense?

Yeah, my 4* Abel dies easier than my 3* Nino.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Arena seasons last a week and reset on Tuesdays.

So draw that out by a few weeks :v:

Oh. Well then, it will take months to promote a character to 5* I guess.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I might promote a 3* unit with my batch of feathers tomorrow. It'll probably come down to Clarine (who's a decent secondary healer/debuffer) or Nino (who's my only mage). There's also Saizo, who just needs a couple levels.

The game's flooded me with lancers (Subaki, Florian, Peri, Oboro, Gwendolyn), but no Robin or Odin. Tsk...

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ummm. A pull of the gacha is 5 orbs. The rates for one pull in this game are cheaper than the industry standard, ever so slightly.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 5, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VextheGrey posted:

No, it's pretty ridiculous that bad luck means it'll take me months to 5-star my team vs say my co-worker who has multiple 5-star teams because they got lucky rolls (without whaling, vs my whaling and nothing but 4-stars).

How many thousands (or even hundreds) of dollars did you spend and not get a 5* unit?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zotix posted:

Ummm. A pull of the gacha is 5 orbs. The rates for one pull in this game are cheaper than the industry standard, ever so slightly.
you can get the other characters in a pull for 4, then 3 for the last one, thereby saving you 5 orbs per five pull

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just wanna reiterate that 5*ing most units isn't all that beneficial and you shouldn't concern yourself with it that much. Most of the good units only drop at 5 anyway.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Kronikle posted:

I was writing up this whole long analysis, sheesh I need to tl:dr myself.

Anyway, Abel's skillset is weird. His skills seem designed to let glass cannon swordies suicide into him- he'll take 1 hit regardless of speed and counter with 2 hits, charging Aegis in the process. But then why the Brave Lance, Sapphire Lance would be better wouldn't it? The Brave Lance might let him also charge those squishy swordies, I guess, but you aren't really benefiting from Swordbreaker then, and it doesn't neatly charge Aegis like that. And yeah, I imagine if his stat spread is balanced or defensive then he barely does any damage without WTA.

Strangely split skillset there. I imagine he'd do fine at both roles as a 5*, but nothing less at my guess.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I might promote a 3* unit with my batch of feathers tomorrow. It'll probably come down to Clarine (who's a decent secondary healer/debuffer) or Nino (who's my only mage). There's also Saizo, who just needs a couple levels.

The game's flooded me with lancers (Subaki, Florian, Peri, Oboro, Gwendolyn), but no Robin or Odin. Tsk...

I'm hyped again to promote Nino tomorrow- but then she really synergizes well with the rest of my team even as a 3*.

At a glance Clarine doesn't get anything much from 3->4*, but then I imagine a plain stat increase could matter a lot.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Endorph posted:

you can get the other characters in a pull for 4, then 3 for the last one, thereby saving you 5 orbs per five pull

I totally understand this. But it doesn't change the fact that a pull is 5 orbs base, and the orb cost to purchase is actually cheaper than this games direct competitors. Not to mention just because you open up to pull 5 orbs, doesn't mean you have to. I definitely went to do a 5 pull earlier today, and didn't like the orbs it gave me so I backed out after 1 pull. Like 4 times.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

acumen posted:

Just wanna reiterate that 5*ing most units isn't all that beneficial and you shouldn't concern yourself with it that much. Most of the good units only drop at 5 anyway.

And that's terrible.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Setting up a few NOX instances to run a reroll macro really paid off. Forgot to grab at the draw screen (and it was only 4 of the 5 orbs):

I think those are 2 of the 3 waifus people want? Now to find a tank to keep them all alive.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Lube banjo posted:

it's the error you get when you have a rooted android device. sadly there's nothing you can do but wait and see if they will support rooted devices later. ie: your device is hosed because you will have to reinstall after every close

If that's the case then why am I getting the error on a non-rooted phone? I've had to reinstall the game a few times now because of it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
takumi isn't a waifu.

But yeah, Abel sucks because his stat spread is way too even when every enemies is min-max so hard that he gets burst down easily or his attacks get tanked.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Did a 5-pull this morning and managed a 5* Hector and a 5* Lyn. No 5* blues, but Cordelia should do the job until I rack up a billion feathers or whatever. I guess I should work on Serra, since I have her at 3*?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Takumi is the Taylor Hanson of Fire Emblem Heroes.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
How come some characters automatically get Favorite hearts without me prompting the game to do this at all, and also why is it always the waifus

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

thanks alot assbag posted:

How come some characters automatically get Favorite hearts without me prompting the game to do this at all, and also why is it always the waifus

It's a setting. By default, it's set to favorite any 4* or greater automatically, but you can change it or turn it off entirely.

Also the heart icon is really easily to accidentally press while you're rubbing their portraits, so that answers the second part of your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

thanks alot assbag posted:

It's a setting. It'll fav 4 stars and up by default, but you can raise it to 5.

e;f,b