Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

peter gabriel posted:

I've only ever worked on one game and it was a small project so stuff like Perforce isn't something I am familiar with, thanks though, gonna read up on that,
Perforce is just another version control system, the things programmers use to track code changes, branch & merge new code in, etc. Perforce is used a lot in the games industry because it's good for non-code assets (models & textures), and because it's more user-friendly than SVN so the artists have an easier time using it.

peter gabriel posted:

most of my daily work relating to this is making sure people stay focused on a company's / productions / events / whatever it is brand identity when rolling stuff out, all kinds of stuff. I really enjoy that part of my work too, talking to business owners about the importance of it all and seeing them grow is my biggest pay off work wise.

It's really why this subject gets to me a bit, I know what's involved in sloppy half assed poo poo like stealing imagery, and I also work with some amazing people who create original stuff and see the work that goes into it.

Yeah. I don't work in the games industry, but have several friends that do. So it really grinds my gears knowing how miserable of a work environment it must be over there. And that's despite my general feeling that labor conditions in the industry as a whole are terrible and will never improve because the people are idiots who voluntarily sign up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

bbchops posted:

There's no email. Unless they're spinning up thousands of instances, it's likely no human being will ever know. If you already have an Amazon account, you too could be launching servers in Australia in minutes!

The only reason they've "solved the problem" of Australian servers is that Amazon launched a region in Sydney. Before that Singapore would have been the closest.

Which Amazon only did because of CIG requiring it. I bet Chris negotiated an excellent deal. I hope he didn't throw his clout too much over Amazon.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
https://clips.twitch.tv/grayheadedgamer/CrowdedJackalGingerPower

oh i get it, all of the work is done in the background of this open development game

https://clips.twitch.tv/grayheadedgamer/FrailKangarooDOOMGuy

there you go, now say it slower and really listen this time guy

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

AP posted:

Squadron 42 Spoiler, ferocious Alien Cavalry.

But does the hobby horse have a wooden dick?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Works for me. Eat chili, shoot guns, drink beer.

eat vegan, masturbate, drink kartom. Do a little H or F just for fun.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Rastor posted:

:hellyeah: I had an Atari 400 and later upgraded to an XE

Played lots of Star Raiders and GATO couch co-op with my little brother. Good times.

I had a 2600 growing up and played Star Raiders and Starmaster on that all the time, but I had a friend with a 5200 and I was insanely jealous of the version of Star Raiders on that.

A 5200 console that included SR was one of my first ever eBay purchases.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ComfyPants posted:

I had a 2600 growing up and played Star Raiders and Starmaster on that all the time, but I had a friend with a 5200 and I was insanely jealous of the version of Star Raiders on that.

A 5200 console that included SR was one of my first ever eBay purchases.
Wasn't 5200 just an Atari 8-bit PC in a tighter box?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

SelenicMartian posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Star Citizen: The most openest development ever

"We're all hungry for some information"
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/370334/we-re-all-hungry-for-some-information

"We just need something to keep us going"

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 5, 2017

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/cUwAkeu.gifv

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Looking at ancient YTMNDs for a nostalgia trip and was shocked to see a familiar face.

:pgabz: how could you?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Chin posted:

Looking at ancient YTMNDs for a nostalgia trip and was shocked to see a familiar face.

:popeye:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ETA for SQ42 please!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/370361/dear-rsi-please-give-us-an-eta-for-squadron-42

No worries. Space Marshal Montoya to the rescue:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7506934/#Comment_7506934

"I think SQ42 is probably 90% done at this point"

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Several years to go then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

For those that haven't seen this already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ9CmxaQ3q8

I kinda notice some parallels.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

hnggggggg i wanna see the top what is is powering ?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ahhh so relaxing :allears:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

and then I finished with the coup de grâce "That's Evidence of wrong doing."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Please remember to stop being so angry pgabz.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chin posted:

That's actually me doing the secret signal like in Team America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tDcQzFPz6s

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

This is the visual representation of how CIG makes the NPC mop the floor.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Grim Hex = Getty Images Hex

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

happyhippy posted:

This is the visual representation of how CIG makes the NPC mop the floor.

Amazon "Power Of The Cloud" controls the Subsumption, which controls the AI, which controls the NPC, which controls the mop, which cleans the floor.

Fidelity.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Serious question: during legal proceedings will they just point to that PROGRESS 0% as "we were being honest with the backers donors all along!" I don't think that's unintentional.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Fatkraken posted:

Much like CIG, nothing at all.....

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Fatkraken posted:

Dreams, my Citizen: dreams with limitless possibilities...

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

SelenicMartian posted:

The Atari 800 almost got reskinned in ivory and rebranded as the IBM PC. (The IBM DisplayWriter was also in the running to become the "affordable" computer.) Glad IBM went with building the first the first clone. Ahh, nostalgia. Gaming on a mono screen--a huge upgrade from playing Adventure on a thermal printer (no screen)--them's were the days.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Fatkraken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQXbvLEr9k

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
It's been a while since I played the age card, but I think Jim is just a 12 year old, not disturbed as he claims to be.

JugbandDude fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 5, 2017

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Mr.Tophat posted:

Someone please put this tune over some Star Citizen footage.

Paaaaaarp. Paaaarp. Paaaaarp! PA PARRRRRP!

reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnOWPl-nSI8&t=1s

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I hope everyone who is into it enjoys what could be one of the last Super Bowl.

What with the amazing Star Citizen coming along at such pace, I would imagine that within a year or two Sataball will have completely surpassed the Super Bowl as Americas biggest sporting event.

It's Waitangi Day here in New Zealand today, our national day, on that note I have but one thing to say .... Tane.

edit: Hickory offering his Tane Taxxe to the sky good Ra

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 5, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The sky god is Ranginui.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Star Citizen Senior Dev on VR Support “Don’t Hold Your Breath”

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Love the comments, as always. Apparently, it's really VR's fault for not being well adjusted to SC, not the other way around. :allears:

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

JugbandDude posted:

It's been a while since I played the age card, but I think Jim is just a 12 year old, not disturbed as he claims to be.

Pretty sure I debated him and he definitely sounded like an older dude.
He also wasn't nearly as hateful talking than he is typing...

Something I've noticed about all these Shitizens is that as soon as you offer to debate them in person, they all act like 8 year olds' meeting new people for the first time.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Seems topical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyQsplAljdI

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Tippis posted:

Love the comments, as always. Apparently, it's really VR's fault for not being well adjusted to SC, not the other way around. :allears:
In the future star citizen will have perfect vr because when it's being played by robots it can just worry about rendering the virtual space without needing to work around things like motion sickness and other problems peculiar to the human brain.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Comments are glorious:

quote:

Elite Dangerous had VR support added from the ground up, on a fraction of the SC budget. Whilst I can understand that the focus on such a massive project isn’t VR, support as Ben Parry said would require fundamental time-consumimg changes, and yet with such a large budget it demonstrates to me that this whole project lacks the planning and management to fulfil all the promises in my opinion, and smacks of misappropriated funds. I’ll give it a go once CIG release whatever they consider v1.0, once I’ve read the reviews of course. That is provided I’m still alive in the year 20xx- glad I backed the former.

To which Commando Fatneck replies:

quote:

Everyone knows Elite is just a simple cockpit game, that gane isn’t even 5 GB and famously one mile wide one inch deep. Generic procedural low quality graphics like that probably run on an iPhone. They slapped VR on in the cheapest possible way. Why even bring this junk up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

happyhippy posted:

Comments are glorious:

To which Commando Fatneck replies:

drat straight.

I prefer the rich, meaty, thick girth of Star Citizen filling my life because I enjoy all the