Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Plus the actual story is usually much more interesting than the sanitized, made-up hollywood version

This is why I hate The Imitation Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Plus the actual story is usually much more interesting than the sanitized, made-up hollywood version

I like Braveheart as an example of this.

How it happened*:

How the film depicted it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdlL65LD6I4

*Based on a retelling by a dude called Blind Harry a full century after the battle took place. Which also specified Wallace to be 7 feet tall. So probably about as inaccurate as the film version though certainly far cooler and more cinematic.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 5, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is why I hate The Imitation Game.

I just didn't think much of that movie, didn't even look up how true to life it was.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

got any sevens posted:

I just didn't think much of that movie, didn't even look up how true to life it was.

Thank you for the important update

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

got any sevens posted:

Hint: Alan Turing did not hide military secrets from Winston loving Churchill.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I don't fault a movie for being historically inaccurate, even biopics, but The Imitation Game falsely accuses its subject of committing treason, and that's really not cool.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Also, gives Turing a female partner that is coded as his love interest, and the only thing keeping them from being together is Turing's pesky little habit of being gay.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't dislike the look of Hulk, but as this whole conversation bears out, oscar-winning directors are perfectly capable of making poor decisions.

Also, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned The Ice Storm in Ang Lee chat because it's easily his best movie.

I haven't seen it but that's insanely high praise imo. Easily?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
"Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine"
Basically movies are all about making one line that says a kind of generic uplifting platitude that kind of describes the subject & then u repeat it a couple times. Then u add some text over the screen at the end that says "bad stuff happened" & u got an Oscar nominated film.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Ang Lee generally elevates his material beyond the scope of the average director, bringing new life and wonderful imagery to films that would be far poorer without them. Hulk is fun despite the weak third act with generic absorbing man dad not being compelling of enough of a villain to make the father/son thing pay off correctly. I liked the color and it only looks weird in retrospect because every other comic book movie sucks the color out of everything. Brokeback is his masterpiece, a compelling story that works even if you ignored all the sexuality, but is enhanced by it and helped by amazing performances from the entire cast (even Randy Quaid!) Eat Drink, Wedding Banquet, and Crouching Tiger are great with wonderful visuals, while Ice Storm tries but I don't think the 90s Taiwan movie style works with the 70s US visuals like it should. Lust, Caution was a great return to form, Life of Pi was a magical blockbuster that didn't seem as committee as other big films. Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk teched itself out of too many theaters and is probably a great film to watch on TBS some Tuesday evening. I've not watched Ride with the Devil or Pushing Hands, and don't remember a thing about Sense and Sensibility despite knowing I saw it on HBO at some point in high school/college.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Braveheart inspired what may be the most hated piece of art in Scottish history.

It was vandalized so many times that it had to be put in a cage, and was eventually removed in 2008. At one point they attempted to sell it to Donald Trump's Scottish gold course. Don't know why he didn't go for it as everything he owns is tacky.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alan Turing was someone who did some really ground-breaking stuff (none of which is explained or conveyed in the movie) and got treated terribly for the crime of being gay (which also isn't shown in the movie).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

got any sevens posted:

There was an article in the paper today where the humane society or something reviewed the tape and said it had been edited to look worse and the timing of it going public right before the premiere is suspicious.

Hulk rules, I just bought the blueray last year actually. Better than any Marvel movie from the last five years, anyway.
It’s the same society that got destroyed for its representative supposedly having been on set and doing absolutely nothing. I wouldn’t totally trust their judgement.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Vegetable posted:

It’s the same society that got destroyed for its representative supposedly having been on set and doing absolutely nothing. I wouldn’t totally trust their judgement.

Yeah, they are corrupt as poo poo and a lot of the stories I hear about what they turn a blind eye to are shocking.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I feel obligated to mention the American Humane Society=/=American Humane Association. The former are cool dudes who do cool things for animals the latter are purely funded by the movie industry to plaster "no animals were harmed on camera (off camera is fair game!)" at the beginning of movies

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That's shady as hell

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FCKGW posted:

That's shady as hell

filmindustry.txt

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Casimir Radon posted:

Braveheart inspired what may be the most hated piece of art in Scottish history.

It was vandalized so many times that it had to be put in a cage, and was eventually removed in 2008. At one point they attempted to sell it to Donald Trump's Scottish gold course. Don't know why he didn't go for it as everything he owns is tacky.

That is amazing

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Casimir Radon posted:

Paint it gold and he will put it up where the Lincoln Memorial stands now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like Braveheart as an example of this.

How it happened*:

How the film depicted it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdlL65LD6I4

*Based on a retelling by a dude called Blind Harry a full century after the battle took place. Which also specified Wallace to be 7 feet tall. So probably about as inaccurate as the film version though certainly far cooler and more cinematic.

Now that's a clusterfuck.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Nobody ever wins a battle in a movie by actually being smart. They're smart enough so that when the rad charge happens, it's sort of understandable why the good guys won. But most military victories are won by making sure the other guy can't fight the way he wants to.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Snowman_McK posted:

Nobody ever wins a battle in a movie by actually being smart. They're smart enough so that when the rad charge happens, it's sort of understandable why the good guys won.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

That movie owns and that charge was real :allears: Not sure if they actually came up with the bugle charge there though.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

got any sevens posted:

That movie owns and that charge was real :allears: Not sure if they actually came up with the bugle charge there though.
It really does. It got me interested in the Civil War which led, over the years, to a wider interest in history. And reading through over a dozen books specifically about the battle of Gettysburg has led to the overwhelming consensus that nobody really understands why it worked or why the good guys won. "I guess the Confederates were pretty tired out by then" seems like the best bet.

Thank you, crazy billionaire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-5uyp44WA

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Snowman_McK posted:

A mistake that an Oscar winning director specifically insisted on.

You don't have to look much farther than the 4K/120fps/3D disaster of cinematography that was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk to see that Ang Lee is perfectly capable of making dumb decisions.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 6, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tag yourself I'm the fat reenactor who immediately"gets shot" and goes down

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What movie?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gettysburg.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Somewhere in an alternate universe there is a 50 Shades of Grey movie directed by Steve McQueen and starring Michael Fassbender and it's shot and written as a thematic sequel to Shame and I'm really bummed that we don't have that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Baronash posted:

Gettysburg.

Which you should definitely watch. In general it's one of the greatest war films ever made and that scene in the screenshot is the most memorable moment in the film (and the line is what he actually said). The character in the shot is General Pickett and if you know even a tiny bit of Civil War history then you know what has happened.

The sequel, OTOH, you can ignore.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Which you should definitely watch. In general it's one of the greatest war films ever made and that scene in the screenshot is the most memorable moment in the film (and the line is what he actually said). The character in the shot is General Pickett and if you know even a tiny bit of Civil War history then you know what has happened.

Pretty sure that's Joshua Chamberlain, not Pickett.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pickett was a dumb Confederate guy who led his troops to slaughter.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 6, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Random Stranger posted:

Pickett with that blue rear end shirt for a confederate.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Random Stranger posted:

If you know even a tiny bit of Civil War history you know that General Pickett was a Confederate general who is best known for commanding a division in an infantry assault that had the poo poo blown out of it by Union artillery.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'll have you all know that I am blue/gray color blind and you are all oppressing me by pointing out that shameful error.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

I'll have you all know that I am blue/gray color blind and you are all oppressing me by pointing out that shameful error.

https://youtu.be/rGv1VKAybcI

Gettysburg is a bit long and overdramatic but I still love it :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Random Stranger posted:

Gettysburg II: the Ghost Dimension?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Gettysburg II: the Ghost Dimension?

2 Gettys 2 Burg

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Even at the time this actually happened it was described as being "not a typically textbook maneuver" which is a really dry way of historians saying that they had no clue how the gently caress he came up with that idea on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Even at the time this actually happened it was described as being "not a typically textbook maneuver" which is a really dry way of historians saying that they had no clue how the gently caress he came up with that idea on the fly.

I think you have that a bit backwards, it's a pretty classical drill maneuver, but not one that you would typically see on the battlefield in that day and age.

• Locked thread