Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Silver Falcon posted:

Yup, that's exactly how the gating works. You can try switching jobs if you're not ready to advance the story yet, but at some point you'll have to make actual story progress if you want to level jobs anymore. Also definitely pick up Angler if you plan on maining Cook. Some fish you can buy, but the rarer ones you have to catch yourself.

I don't think any quests are missable, but the NPCs that offer them might be in different spots at different times of the day.

I "plan" on mastering all of them. I'm about ready to switch off cooking but since I am so close to finishing apprentice, I am just going to main story till I get to port puerto where I am sure I will get the tuna and tomatoes I need. At that point I will pick up mining, I think. And power level it to apprentice then repeat for the other ones till I get bored and then do the story some more.

What a great little game, though. If I had one pet peeve, it's that the bounties sometimes stack up. I had three chests once and while moving two of them, some mobs destroyed the 3rd. I just can't resist turning the things in, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'm enjoying DQ7 a lot more than I thought I would. The pace is glacial, but for some reason, it really just *works* for this story. Still cracking along towards the class system. Also, Yoshi's Woolly World is still awesome.

Are there any classes I should NOT use when I get them in DQ7?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They did a really good job porting Woolly World to 3DS. Too bad the exclusive new content kinda sucks.

Cool, apparently the Wii U original just got an update to support the Poochy amiibo.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 5, 2017

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Poochy speed run levels are extremely cool but I would basically never introduce Poochy into a normal level, that's useless to me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm enjoying DQ7 a lot more than I thought I would. The pace is glacial, but for some reason, it really just *works* for this story. Still cracking along towards the class system. Also, Yoshi's Woolly World is still awesome.

Are there any classes I should NOT use when I get them in DQ7?

When you get to the advanced classes, figure out what you want each character to do. You really can't go wrong with making everyone a Hero, or giving someone the job that halves MP consumption, but anyway the advanced job classes don't share skills like the basic ones do so don't waste your time focusing on high level mage classes for say the guy you want to be your heavy hitter melee guy. Just do the basic classes you need to unlock the prerequisites for the classes you want to unlock.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Cool, apparently the Wii U original just got an update to support the Poochy amiibo.

Wait, what? :swoon:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Policenaut posted:

When you get to the advanced classes, figure out what you want each character to do. You really can't go wrong with making everyone a Hero, or giving someone the job that halves MP consumption, but anyway the advanced job classes don't share skills like the basic ones do so don't waste your time focusing on high level mage classes for say the guy you want to be your heavy hitter melee guy. Just do the basic classes you need to unlock the prerequisites for the classes you want to unlock.

I've taken a break from DQ7 for a bit, but when I left off, I'd made Maribel a Sage. I'm hesitant to go Druid though, because multiheal has saved me a few times.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

SeANMcBAY posted:

They did a really good job porting Woolly World to 3DS. Too bad the exclusive new content kinda sucks.

What about amiibo skins that were added for the 3DS version?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Made a drunk buy of Mario Maker 3DS last night and I ain't even bad, the Challenge levels are actually really cool, worth it even if you have the Wii U version just for that imo

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

What about amiibo skins that were added for the 3DS version?

I just updated my software and tried to scan Waluigi on Wii U and got the generic Yoshi shirt. :(

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I just updated my software and tried to scan Waluigi on Wii U and got the generic Yoshi shirt. :(

Uh oh, Waluigi is in your system now

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Zeeman posted:

Uh oh, Waluigi is in your system now

Good.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'm going to cry.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ometeotl posted:

I'm going to cry.

WAAAHHHHHHHHHH

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a trailer for the soccer portion of Mario Sports Superstars - this is an original Namco-made soccer event and not a retooling of Strikers or Mario & Sonic or what have you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUKeCw4vriA

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Wow those 2dses sure are cheap huh

Am I better off getting one now or waiting till later for a new 3ds?

I can afford either, it's just I don't really need em so the less I spend the better. But I could wait another month of two if you all think I really must go for the newer model. Worth noting that I got a new 3ds xl at launch, but had also built a gaming rig around the same time and gotten through a decent amount of my library so I sold it right away due to neglect (got it as an upgrade to a blue XL I had snagged somewhere). Now there's new games that I want. It was neat, and I liked the extra stick but it seems useless overall and as far as 3d goes, I can't use it.

I mostly want to catch up on DQ7, DQ8, Fire Emblem Fates (and the upcoming one too for sure) Etrian Oddysseys, Gunvolt 2, Phoenix Wright, SMTIVA, Picross 3d 2 and uhh I guess anything cool that might be coming out.

I dont care about xenoblade, and might get into the homebrew side of things.

So yeah pretty torn on which model to get. Leaning towards 2ds because I see no obvious downsides (don't care about 3d or xenoblade). Buuuut part of me also feels that buying the outdated device with a slower processor is something I will regret, even if the 2DS is currently less than half the price of a new 3ds (nintendo refurb). Thoughts?

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 6, 2017

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If you're even passingly interested in homebrew, get a New 3DS. You'll be able to play older games with the newer hardware unlocked. It's great.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If you're not interested in homebrew than a 2DS would be fine, especially with that selection of games. I have a New XL but I personally found the 2DS to be the most comfortable to hold.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yikes yeah I'm super interested in homebrew

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

Yikes yeah I'm super interested in homebrew

You can still do quite a lot on a homebrewed 2DS like play GBA games natively but stuff like SNES is pretty much New only.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can still do quite a lot on a homebrewed 2DS like play GBA games natively but stuff like SNES is pretty much New only.

Can you link to how the gently caress I do GBA games? Mine is hacked

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

KingSlime posted:

Wow those 2dses sure are cheap huh

Am I better off getting one now or waiting till later for a new 3ds?

I can afford either, it's just I don't really need em so the less I spend the better. But I could wait another month of two if you all think I really must go for the newer model. Worth noting that I got a new 3ds xl at launch, but had also built a gaming rig around the same time and gotten through a decent amount of my library so I sold it right away due to neglect (got it as an upgrade to a blue XL I had snagged somewhere). Now there's new games that I want. It was neat, and I liked the extra stick but it seems useless overall and as far as 3d goes, I can't use it.

I mostly want to catch up on DQ7, DQ8, Fire Emblem Fates (and the upcoming one too for sure) Etrian Oddysseys, Gunvolt 2, Phoenix Wright, SMTIVA, Picross 3d 2 and uhh I guess anything cool that might be coming out.

I dont care about xenoblade, and might get into the homebrew side of things.

So yeah pretty torn on which model to get. Leaning towards 2ds because I see no obvious downsides (don't care about 3d or xenoblade). Buuuut part of me also feels that buying the outdated device with a slower processor is something I will regret, even if the 2DS is currently less than half the price of a new 3ds (nintendo refurb). Thoughts?

Because of what I bolded, I'd say yea, go for a 2DS. I bet the Etrian Odyssey games would even be more fun with it's slab design, since you're using a ton of stylus in those games. They often go on sale for $10 a pop.

The C-stick isn't really used all that much and I don't like using it when it is utilized. I mean it's nice to have in some of the games you mentioned (DQ, SMT) but even still, I don't like using it in DQ8 because just using L/R is easier and reliable enough.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

epsilon posted:

Can you link to how the gently caress I do GBA games? Mine is hacked

You basically make or find GBA CIA files and install them via FBI.

Here's the homebrew thread for any questions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759546&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Keep in mind that GBA games use the built in GBA hardware on the 3DS and aren't emulated, so you don't have access to savestates and such.

enojy posted:

Because of what I bolded, I'd say yea, go for a 2DS. I bet the Etrian Odyssey games would even be more fun with it's slab design, since you're using a ton of stylus in those games. They often go on sale for $10 a pop.

The C-stick isn't really used all that much and I don't like using it when it is utilized. I mean it's nice to have in some of the games you mentioned (DQ, SMT) but even still, I don't like using it in DQ8 because just using L/R is easier and reliable enough.

The C nub is mostly used for to control the camera in certain games. I don't know if it ever got utilized for anything else.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
drat, both sides make compelling arguments so far

guess i'll wait for a deal on either, see what's up although using extra processing power for all games via homebrew sounds tight

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
also i somehow have a charger already so uhh I guess at least that part of my purchase is already taken care of

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's a trailer for the soccer portion of Mario Sports Superstars - this is an original Namco-made soccer event and not a retooling of Strikers or Mario & Sonic or what have you.

OH gently caress

It's legit like a revisioning of Super Mario Strikers.

D1 instant purchase.

God if I only had a mate nearby that had a 3DS :negative:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Seems like the game is already rated 5 stars so I might as well give it a try

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can still do quite a lot on a homebrewed 2DS like play GBA games natively but stuff like SNES is pretty much New only

Most SNES stuff works fine on a 2DS. It's only the games that shipped with extra acceleration chips in the cartridge that won't get 60fps.

https://github.com/bubble2k16/snes9x_3ds

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

so is Yoshi Mario's pet, and is Poochy Yoshi's pet?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

well why not posted:

so is Yoshi Mario's pet, and is Poochy Yoshi's pet?

Yoshi is like Goofy and Poochy is like Pluto.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Goofy can speak English

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Everyone in Mario games can speak english in the games they actually talk in, they just do the banjo-kazooie thing where they make weird animal sounds.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yoshi is like Goofy and Poochy is like Pluto.

Mickey doesn't ride on Goofy's back and casually murder him to reach a higher platform

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zeeman posted:

Mickey doesn't ride on Goofy's back and casually murder him to reach a higher platform

Donald would.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zeeman posted:

elf help book posted:

Donald would.

Donald has, in a way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two bits of news:

-Arc System Works announced they've acquired the Jake Hunter IP and will be releasing a new 3DS game as part of the series' 30th anniversary celebrations. Maybe it'll come over?

-NIS America is doing their yearly "look at what we're releasing this year" event in a couple weeks and they've teased at least one 3DS game, which will very likely be RPG Maker Fes: http://www.classification.gov.au/Pa...ZJH8PUw0NZWKDGT

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jake Hunter has been around for 30 years?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Donald has, in a way.

Nintendo has always had an unspoken devotion to vintage Mickey Mouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Jake Hunter has been around for 30 years?

Yeah, it was originally a Data East series that began on Famicom and it was pretty popular in its day.

The guy who wrote those games (as well as some of the Glory of Heracles games, another somewhat popular series from Data East) was headhunted b Square and ended up writing a lot of the PSX/PS2-era games including FF7, and he also wrote the Subspace Emissary portion of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.