Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The best argument for species removal that I've seen is that more species creates more of an intellectual load on the player. A huge wall of choices right at the beginning of the game is overwhelming, especially considering how many species Crawl gives you already, and it's overly demanding to figure out exactly what they all do beyond their short description, especially if the differences between them aren't very big. So there has to be an upper limit to the number of species, and since it would be nice to add species that are more strongly distinguished and interesting in the future, it's necessary to remove those that are found less interesting at present.

I completely agree with that. But, I don't think HE was less interesting, especially than something like Ha. The devs have made several revisions to Ha to save it by distinguishing it from kobolds, however I still don't think it offers a particularly interesting niche.

There are plenty of game design options that can hide that complexity from the player, like unlocks, new game + mode, etc.

But why the focus on making things simpler? Crawl is (in) famous for being complicated, that's part of the appeal..

Removing the BORING parts is a good goal imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

LordSloth posted:

No. There is an in-game messaging system exclusive only to ascii players and viewers that (un)fortunately has no crossover with the webtiles chat. On the other hand, it is entirely possible to play the game in ASCII and spectate your own game in webtiles without any conflict, even using webchat. There is one streamer on twitch that plays in ascii but captures webtiles for viewers.

Thanks that's a cool workaround, I assumed I could only login through one client at a time.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Dongsturm posted:

There are plenty of game design options that can hide that complexity from the player, like unlocks, new game + mode, etc.

But why the focus on making things simpler? Crawl is (in) famous for being complicated, that's part of the appeal..

Removing the BORING parts is a good goal imo

I'm not sure that the people who make Crawl necessarily envision complexity as one of its key features. I can't really imagine it as having things like unlocks and new game + while still being Crawl. There is a certain dogmatic insistence on simplicity regarding certain aspects of the game (e.g. no melee abilities) that really defines the game's spirit. Furthermore, the developers have a preference for removing features that they feel don't fit with the game. While it sometimes feels like things are removed based on an elitist and arbitrary "right way to play" defined by the posts of a few people in ##crawl and the tavern, overall I think demanding a certain degree of simplicity and the willingness to remove features is very healthy for the game.

That's why I think the removal of HE, my favorite species, is an opportunity to design a race that better fills the design niche that was lost with its removal rather than something just to be complained about.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Short blade converts well into long blade mastery, but I've yet to find a demon blade in my game. Couple of demon tridents in shoals and a demon whip in vaults, but that's it. I have a manual of polearms, would training that up from 0 to use a trishula be at all worth it?

I would just stick with the quickblade. I've done extended several times with a VS using a quickblade of holy wrath and felt very powerful each time. I was also casting lots of spells, though, which gets really amazing with the constant MP replenishment late game vinestalkers get.

I haven't done the math, but with vitalization I think the quickblade will outdamage a demonblade against anything but the very hardest targets. You will be guaranteed a bite, boosted considerably by high str, with every swing while under vitalization. And that's not to mention the stabs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dongsturm posted:

compared to a lot of other RLs crawl is really not that complicated and certainly not infamous for complexity.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Crawl is complicated? Hardly. It's obfuscated, which is a different matter entirely.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I still say that Cyno mechanics (minus the nose - change it to something ear-related, or give them an innate pip of MR+ or something..?) should be used for a race called "High Elves".
Giving any species the name of High Elf without managing to capture the gameplay of at least 90% or more of what the species used to be would probably cause backlash among those who are angry about High Elf removal (at least, more so than a species 'replacing' it). I know from the multiple games I playtested Cyno that they can't accomplish how I used to play High Elf (a less squishy Deep Elf/Tengu), and would be upset about the change if that is how they were re-introduced. I'm still kind of upset Ogres haven't had their M&F bumped up from -1 to at least a 0 yet.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

That occurred to me and it would be a lot more elegant. But I'd need to look more at how MP is handled in general. I'd be worried that, say, -30% MP wouldn't really be restrictive enough and you'd be able to overcome it too easily if you found a ring of magical power or a staff of power. Not that I think it's terrible if it's possible for the player to overcome the restriction at all, but if it were too easy then I'd be worried that high int, +3 spellcasting and +30% spellpower by level 12 (completely arbitrary) would make them too good. As it is, because of their +2 base MP and high spellcasting, they almost don't feel the difference with book starts at very low levels, but you really have to think about when you want to cast your higher level spells, which I really like. I am worried double MP is too much, though.

Another, less good reason is that I was worried low MP wouldn't be weird and different enough to sell.
Another approach you can look at for MP restriction is the antimagic brand's effect on your MP. Making that a species mutation and lowering the extremity (maybe to 50% to match your current approach) might solve the issue of reducing the MP without either doubling all spells or giving the players an out from low MP with a single MP+ item.

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're planning to do all 15 runes there's no reason to do abyss before the rest of extended. Its not as dangerous as other extended branches but its very unlikely to increase your power at all. More importantly you can pick up some lovely mutations from the plethora of neqocexs that love to wander around in it.
I usually do Abyss before Pan at the least, so I have an easier exit in case I need to do something like swap to Zin after getting frustrated about playing around mutations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Floodkiller posted:

Another approach you can look at for MP restriction is the antimagic brand's effect on your MP. Making that a species mutation and lowering the extremity (maybe to 50% to match your current approach) might solve the issue of reducing the MP without either doubling all spells or giving the players an out from low MP with a single MP+ item.

Thanks! I somehow forgot completely about antimagic, probably because I've only ever won 3-4 characters with a casting skill under 10. That looks like it would simplify things nicely and also allow a more flexible approach that avoids confusing issues like fractional increases of MP costs.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

compared to a lot of other RLs crawl is really not that complicated and certainly not infamous for complexity.

it's not complicated relative to other 'old-school roguelikes', but it's quite complex in an objective sense. over four hundred monsters, something near a hundred spells, however many types of wands and potions and scrolls and evocables and artefacts... there's a lot going on!

proof: watch a new player

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Floodkiller posted:

Giving any species the name of High Elf without managing to capture the gameplay of at least 90% or more of what the species used to be would probably cause backlash among those who are angry about High Elf removal (at least, more so than a species 'replacing' it).

Yeah but since when has that mattered?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

it's not complicated relative to other 'old-school roguelikes', but it's quite complex in an objective sense. over four hundred monsters, something near a hundred spells, however many types of wands and potions and scrolls and evocables and artefacts... there's a lot going on!

Some evidence is that a friend of mine has been trying it out for the past couple days and is having a continuous minor anxiety attack about hunger/food because it's one of the few things displayed front and center that he can understand at face value. Meanwhile, he died to an OOD slime creature because he didn't know that it was bad to fight them in a corridor.

He also keeps insisting that Human looks like the beginner race because it is simple and looks balanced, despite my advice to the contrary.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
it might be nice to re-order the races by some vague concept of 'simple/easy' -> 'complex/hard', instead of the current 'fantasy taxonomy' approach. ('mostly human-like appearance', 'humanoid but made from a strange substance', 'monstrous'...)

e: also, i poked at the slime creature description to make it a little clearer what their deal is.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 5, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Heh, for someone who "retired" you have been putting in a number of quality of life patches. :)

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

it might be nice to re-order the races by some vague concept of 'simple/easy' -> 'complex/hard', instead of the current 'fantasy taxonomy' approach.

This will only work if you have n people working on it where n is any nonzero positive integer less than two.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Serephina posted:

Crawl is complicated? Hardly. It's obfuscated, which is a different matter entirely.
And even then, Crawl gives the player the most info(without having to run to an outside source) out of any roguelike I've ever seen.

It's also really good at trying to avoid spoiler death/autoexplore death traps, aside from one quicksilver dragon vault that may or not have been removed by now.

Araganzar posted:

This will only work if you have n people working on it where n is any nonzero positive integer less than two.
TBH, sticking minotaur/deep elf/gargoyle/maybe deep dwarf(it's easy but its gimmick is more complicated for a new player) at the front and octopode/felid/mummy at the end would do 90% of what you're looking for anyway.

Although I legitmately had no idea there was supposed to be an order to the races now, but I never really looked that closely at it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I haven't played Crawl for a long time but I'm getting the craving again and want to start a new melee character. Is the dancing God fun?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I would just stick with the quickblade. I've done extended several times with a VS using a quickblade of holy wrath and felt very powerful each time. I was also casting lots of spells, though, which gets really amazing with the constant MP replenishment late game vinestalkers get.

I haven't done the math, but with vitalization I think the quickblade will outdamage a demonblade against anything but the very hardest targets. You will be guaranteed a bite, boosted considerably by high str, with every swing while under vitalization. And that's not to mention the stabs.
What sort of spells were you using? I can't train spellcasting right now because of Trog, but once I switch to TSO I can start, and I have plenty of spellbooks I've been picking up and not burning.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I haven't played Crawl for a long time but I'm getting the craving again and want to start a new melee character. Is the dancing God fun?

Yes, but it is better for a stronger characters because of how it works.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It still doesn't give as much info as Brogue, the platonic ideal of not needing spoilers in a roguelike

The UI changes lately to de-obfuscate stuff have been really good though. Being able to see max damage numbers alone has made me like, twice as good of a player as I used to be.

Please work on adding damage numbers for monster spells too though! :shobon:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Yes, but it is better for a stronger characters because of how it works.

What about the Storm God or the Ancestor God for melee? Should I go Demonspawn rather than Minotaur this time around?

The idea of constant loud explosions and storms around me as I cleave into battle sounds very appealing!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Haifisch posted:

TBH, sticking minotaur/deep elf/gargoyle/maybe deep dwarf(it's easy but its gimmick is more complicated for a new player) at the front and octopode/felid/mummy at the end would do 90% of what you're looking for anyway.

Although I legitmately had no idea there was supposed to be an order to the races now, but I never really looked that closely at it.

if you were curious:

code:
    // comparatively human-like looks
    SP_HUMAN,          SP_DEEP_ELF,
    SP_DEEP_DWARF,     SP_HILL_ORC,
    // small species
    SP_HALFLING,       SP_KOBOLD,
    SP_SPRIGGAN,
    // large species
    SP_OGRE,           SP_TROLL,
    // significantly different body type from human ("monstrous")
    SP_NAGA,           SP_CENTAUR,
    SP_MERFOLK,        SP_MINOTAUR,
    SP_TENGU,          SP_BASE_DRACONIAN,
    SP_GARGOYLE,       SP_FORMICID,
    SP_BARACHIAN,
    // mostly human shape but made of a strange substance
    SP_VINE_STALKER,
    // celestial species
    SP_DEMIGOD,        SP_DEMONSPAWN,
    // undead species
    SP_MUMMY,          SP_GHOUL,
    SP_VAMPIRE,
    // not humanoid at all
    SP_FELID,          SP_OCTOPODE,
vine stalker used to share its 'category' with another race. points to the first person to guess it!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

vine stalker used to share its 'category' with another race. points to the first person to guess it!
Djinn?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

PleasingFungus posted:

if you were curious:

code:
    // comparatively human-like looks
    SP_HUMAN,          SP_DEEP_ELF,
    SP_DEEP_DWARF,     SP_HILL_ORC,
    // small species
    SP_HALFLING,       SP_KOBOLD,
    SP_SPRIGGAN,
    // large species
    SP_OGRE,           SP_TROLL,
    // significantly different body type from human ("monstrous")
    SP_NAGA,           SP_CENTAUR,
    SP_MERFOLK,        SP_MINOTAUR,
    SP_TENGU,          SP_BASE_DRACONIAN,
    SP_GARGOYLE,       SP_FORMICID,
    SP_BARACHIAN,
    // mostly human shape but made of a strange substance
    SP_VINE_STALKER,
    // celestial species
    SP_DEMIGOD,        SP_DEMONSPAWN,
    // undead species
    SP_MUMMY,          SP_GHOUL,
    SP_VAMPIRE,
    // not humanoid at all
    SP_FELID,          SP_OCTOPODE,

Lava Orc?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Yep!

Perhaps oddly, they were 'celestial'.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Whew, barely survived Okawaru penance at XL15. I think I burned 4 tele scrolls, 1 blink scroll, 2 haste pots, 2 heal wounds, and many many wand heal wound charges.

I ran into Roka at the end of Orc:2 and had the bright idea of immolating his crew. Unfortunately I forgot that would count as attacking my skeleton allies when they got immolated, so I had 50+ penance counter to get through. Not looking forward to clearing out blademasters and master archers sitting on D:13. I don't even have a rune yet!

It was supremely suicidal of me to go into an ice cave during this, but it completely worked out. I got lots of piety to counteract the penance, and two lucky teleports got me away from 2 squads of Oka wrath.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Cleared Depths, Elf 1-2 (haven't touched Elf:3, I'm scared of that place), and most of Crypt. Doing pretty well so far, I think! Kind of miffed I've found no scrolls of acquirement all game and my armor situation is still a bit shaky, but I got some neat jewelry from a trove.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/PanicAtNabisco/PanicAtNabisco.txt

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Oh a shaft well that's annoying but-"

:stare: :stare: :stare:

I'd be really salty if I didn't have any tele scrolls.

Cleared Depths, Elf 1-2 (haven't touched Elf:3, I'm scared of that place), and most of Crypt. Doing pretty well so far, I think! Kind of miffed I've found no scrolls of acquirement all game and my armor situation is still a bit shaky, but I got some neat jewelry from a trove.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/PanicAtNabisco/PanicAtNabisco.txt

Vaults:5 is harder than Elf:3 is. Or at least it was in past versions. If 0.20 changed it then it might be harder now. Just shout at the entrance and watch as all the elves march out to die.

Anyways, Slime should probably be the next branch you do. It has a big treasure vault at the end that you can loot. If you still feel you need more gear after that, try doing the first 5 levels of the depths zig. Those early floors are usually safe, and even if you get the worst spawns possible you can escape pretty easily. After that I personally would switch to TSO and do Tomb as it has a lot of loot along with another zig fig to plunder.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
YASD http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LordSloth/morgue-LordSloth-20170206-024530.txt

pre:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-556-g892c87b (webtiles) character file.

638903 LordSloth the Cryomancer (level 27, -7/224 HPs)
             Began as a Yellow Draconian Conjurer on Feb 3, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Killed from afar by an orb of fire (35 damage)
             ... with a fireball
             ... on level 3 of the Realm of Zot on Feb 6, 2017.
             The game lasted 09:35:01 (96385 turns).
I swapped to a ring of sInv to deal with a ghost moth, and then forgot to switch back, like an absolute idiot.
Highlights: A faded altar on D:2 giving me Vehumet. Finding "Punk" on D:4. Finding a staff of cold, two rings of ice, and two manuals of ice magic early, in addition to rC+ from !beneficial mutation. Falling in love with Glaciate. Dying like an idiot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can vinestalkers heal via potion petition effects or does that count as a device heal still? I assume however it works for them is also how it works for anyone wearing the robe of vines.

Not sure if wearing this on a spriggan is gonna get me killed but its not like I have a better option right now.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Can vinestalkers heal via potion petition effects or does that count as a device heal still? I assume however it works for them is also how it works for anyone wearing the robe of vines.

Not sure if wearing this on a spriggan is gonna get me killed but its not like I have a better option right now.

Gozag potions are divine so they work fine for both vine stalkers and mummies.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Serephina posted:

This is something that we've spent years trying to fix. It is an explicit design goal to reduce this obfuscation.

PleasingFungus posted:

It's very, very easy to forget how impossible it is to absorb everything you need to know how to do in a reasonable time frame as a brand-new player who isn't deeply versed in years of RPG and roguelike indoctrination.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I've only worn the robe of vines twice, but it was flat out amazing each time. I imagine it's pretty much always worth it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm glad I 15 runed before haste and HW wands left, because there's no way on god's green earth I would do it again without being able to chain haste my way through Hell.

I understand chain-hasting is bad and I understand why the wand was removed, but the REAL enemy in Hell is boredom and those wands kept me safe.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have absolutely no intention of ever going for 15 because gently caress that poo poo.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I haven't been paying much attention. Did they buff anything to compensate for wands being removed?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

vOv posted:

I haven't been paying much attention. Did they buff anything to compensate for wands being removed?

Deep Dwarves have an early game way to heal themselves that isn't wands now I guess.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is something that we've spent years trying to fix. It is an explicit design goal to reduce this obfuscation.

Pardon, that wasn't meant to be a criticism, it's just what Crawl is, and yes newer versions have inarguably gotten so much better at this. But still a long way from stuff like Brogue, Sil, DoomRL, etc.

Honestly, the best thing that could (but isn't going to) happen to DCSS is to either burn it to the ground and recode from scratch with an aim to preserve all gameplay, or for Henzell to come out of retirement, cry out "What have you fools DONE?!" and quickly binge-code things back into a unified vision. Fanciful fantasies aside, DCSS is grinding along just fine considering how drat old it is, and the revolving door of active devs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

vOv posted:

I think heal wounds potions and scrolls of teleportation are 10% more common now. That's it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Dammit, that was the best character I've had in a while. loving caustic shrikes. :cripes:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

What sort of spells were you using? I can't train spellcasting right now because of Trog, but once I switch to TSO I can start, and I have plenty of spellbooks I've been picking up and not burning.

Sorry, I missed your post. I was casting a lot because I usually start with caster starts and pretty much always have level 9 spells by extended. Dragon's call is amazing for VS, since because you never run out of mana, you never run out of dragons. Tornado is great, too. But for a primarily melee character, the usual suspects are most appropriate. Blink, song of slaying, regeneration, spectral weapon, repel missiles, silence for tomb, if you can swing it, summon butterflies; I'm sure there are a few more I'm forgetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Actually, screw it. I always go melee characters, maybe I'll give spellcasting a spin instead.

What's the best direct route for big magically-induced explosive destruction? High Elf Fire Elementalist of Vehumet?

Now I can't decide between going necromancy/summoning or firey death. Literally nuking my enemies in a holocaust of fire (as traditionally defined, ahem) sounds very appealing.

• Locked thread