Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

shirts and skins posted:

That's why I think this is a bigger choke than the Warriors.

you need to lie down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Once again, I'm sitting at work the Monday after the Super Bowl, pondering...why the hell do teams always go Full Retard against the Patriots?

They were averaging almost 7 yards per carry, yet they called 10 runs and 15 passes while up by 25 points.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

indigi posted:

my main thing on this is that while Brady clearly had a great game and was the engine that drove the comeback, he was off on his passes for most of the game. in the first half alone there were two passes to Edelman that should have been TDs - one where he underthrew him and caused Edelman to stop and fall to the ground to make the catch, and one where he just overthrow him by a bit. on both plays there was nobody who could have stopped him from getting to the endzone. and even during the comeback, his WRs were making great catches on balls that Brady usually has better placement on. I could see an argument that it wasn't Brady's comeback, but the offense as a whole's comeback. I wouldn't say Brady had an unbelievable or an all-time game, but a great one.

He was under duress the entire 1st half, the greatest coach ever made his adjustments at halftime, and they climbed out of the hole they were in.

By the time it was over, Brady had broken, what, 17 all-time SB passing records? But, sure, it was ok

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Silly Burrito posted:

I don't care if Jesus Christ was the quarterback, I put that loss on the Falcons. Yes, Brady and the team came back spectacularly, but Atlanta choked and made a series of bad decisions that allowed New England to come back and win.

Yuuuuuup. So many things had to go wrong (or right depending on where you are sitting) for New England to come back that it's hard to not put the loss squarely on Atlanta's shoulders.

- Not running the ball when milking the clock and in FG range to go up two scores
- Speaking of running, where the hell was Devonta Freeman the second half? He was carving that defense and no where to be found in the 2nd half...2 carries?
- Matt Ryan cannot take a sack there
- Why are we running the play with :20 on the play clock when we are trying to take time OFF the clock?
- If we would have run the ball, Ryan doesn't get sacked...Jake doesn't hold...
- If any one of the 4 should have been interceptions in the 4th quarter and OT occur, game over.
- If Weems doesn't take the ball out from the 1 and waste 5 seconds...
- If the subsequent plays aren't all IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD...

So many if's. I know the Pats dropped some balls and missed some throws...but it's hard to put this loss anywhere else but right on Atlanta.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vengarr posted:

Once again, I'm sitting at work the Monday after the Super Bowl, pondering...why the hell do teams always go Full Retard against the Patriots?

They were averaging almost 7 yards per carry, yet they called 10 runs and 15 passes while up by 25 points.

I think the average was heavily skewed towards the first quarter and the Patriots had made adjustments to stop the run by then. Still a dumb call (and they got another monster run later on) but the average is a little misleading there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even with the falcons loving up, brady is the only one that still wins that game in the end.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I was conflicted on who to root for going into this game, but settled on Falcons because I didn't want to see Brady get #5. Through the game friends in Atlanta that I know have never paid any attention to the Falcons until they made the playoffs this year were getting so cocky and posting dumb poo poo on social media that my pick switched to hoping for chaos and a Pats win, because gently caress those people.

That game was god drat amazing and is up there with best all time Super Bowl games. I dare say #2 best all time.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I think the average was heavily skewed towards the first quarter and the Patriots had made adjustments to stop the run by then. Still a dumb call (and they got another monster run later on) but the average is a little misleading there.

I think Collins said something like "we were playing Madden run defense - calling punt blocks and selling out to get pressure" in his post-game presser. maybe you can give Shanahan a bit of a break, but still, you don't go away from the run when up 25 trying to burn clock.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

weird Asian candy posted:

- If the subsequent plays aren't all IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD...

oh yeah that final drive was Andy Reid-esque. so many checkdown throws that were far worse than just throwing the ball away to stop the clock. like, great, you got five yards and used a third of your remaining time with no timeouts, good work with that completion to your own thirty.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
James White should have been MVP, no doubt in my mind.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Hello, friends

:smith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

James White should have been MVP, no doubt in my mind.

Given the final stats Brady put up he made a respectable case for it but I kinda agree with you (and he shouldn't have won it against the Seahawks). I think its dumb they always default to the QB as long as the QB is at least moderately good.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Chilichimp posted:

Hello, friends

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Hello, friends

Goondolences bro

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

He was under duress the entire 1st half, the greatest coach ever made his adjustments at halftime, and they climbed out of the hole they were in.

By the time it was over, Brady had broken, what, 17 all-time SB passing records? But, sure, it was ok

Pretty easy to break passing records for a game that has only been played 50 times when you are so behind that you have no choice but to throw the ball constantly against a defense that is getting tired because the offense scores too fast or fucks up.

Brady played perfectly in the second half but how do you look at this game and not realize it was also a huge Falcons fuckup

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

evilweasel posted:

oh yeah that final drive was Andy Reid-esque. so many checkdown throws that were far worse than just throwing the ball away to stop the clock. like, great, you got five yards and used a third of your remaining time with no timeouts, good work with that completion to your own thirty.

Absolutely brutal that final sequence of events from Weems to the checkdowns nowhere near the sidelines.

I knew when Ryan was taking snaps with :20 left that it was over. They were full on panic mode. Reminiscent of the Mike Smith days.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Febreeze posted:

Brady played excellently in the second half but how do you look at this game and not realize it was also a huge Falcons fuckup

the pats were in a hole of their own making tho. the reason the falcons were up bigly was brady playing like he'd been replaced by a pod person and lovely playcalling for the first half.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Febreeze posted:

Pretty easy to break passing records for a game that has only been played 50 times when you are so behind that you have no choice but to throw the ball constantly against a defense that is getting tired because the offense scores too fast or fucks up.

Brady played excellently in the second half but how do you look at this game and not realize it was also a huge Falcons fuckup

lol pretty easy to throw a million passes when you're behind four scores in the super bowl and everyone knows you have to throw and force things

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Febreeze posted:

Brady played perfectly in the second half but how do you look at this game and not realize it was also a huge Falcons fuckup

apparently Brady is the only QB in NFL history with a winning record in games with 50 or more passing attempts, and he's something like 18-9, so far ahead of the rest of the pack that it's ridiculous

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and the 49ers are still going to hire Shanahan because their owner is bigger loving idiot than the Falcon's second half playcalling.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Febreeze posted:

I've watched Belichick out coach everyone for a long time now. The defensive adjustments immediately had an impact on the game, and allowed the comeback to happen. Sure, the Falcons hosed up, but again, this isn't the 1st time anyone has seen this movie.

Eli remains the only kryptonite.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Febreeze posted:

Tom Brady played like shitass for a full half and then did everything he needed to in the second to win the game.

The Falcons needed literally 1 score in the final 28 minutes to ice it, and the one time the mighty offense managed to get into field goal range, they still hosed it up.

You dont come back from a 25pt deficit, 19 in the 4th quarter, without the opposing team loving up hardcore

Also we'd be making GBS threads on Elway hardcore, and Rodgers doesnt win comebacks so it would never happen

So bigger question, which comeback is more absurd, this or the one the Seahawks pulled off against the Packers in the NFCCG?

I think the Packers gently caress-ups were way worse overall but you gotta give some major credit to going from "in game winning FG range" to "4th and 33". I mean, god drat that was bad.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Atlanta's time of possession was absolutely pitiful and precisely why they lost that game in the 2nd half. Good lord.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

iospace posted:

Oh, and the 49ers are still going to hire Shanahan because their owner is bigger loving idiot than the Falcon's second half playcalling.

At this point he doesn't really have a choice, unless he wants to go for another Tomsula year.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

lol pretty easy to throw a million passes when you're behind four scores in the super bowl and everyone knows you have to throw and force things

Yeah, and how bad do the Falcons have to fail to know that and still let the Pats get open and bring no real pressure.

They let the Pats march the field in easy chunks the entire last quarter. You cant go prevent against Brady he'll do this every time.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 6, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

seiferguy posted:

Atlanta's time of possession was absolutely pitiful and precisely why they lost that game in the 2nd half. Good lord.

Wasn't the number of offensive plays something retarded like 95 to 40 or some poo poo?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

axeil posted:

So bigger question, which comeback is more absurd, this or the one the Seahawks pulled off against the Packers in the NFCCG?

I think the Packers gently caress-ups were way worse overall but you gotta give some major credit to going from "in game winning FG range" to "4th and 33". I mean, god drat that was bad.

Dunno, they didn't have an onside kick sail through someone's hands

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

TBeats posted:

Wasn't the number of offensive plays something retarded like 95 to 40 or some poo poo?

Something like that iirc.

I mean Brady alone threw it over sixty loving times

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Dunno, they didn't have an onside kick sail through someone's hands

yeah but then to their credit mike mccarthy immediately executed that dude on live tv

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
It was pretty cool how the Falcons won last night, right guys?!

:shepicide:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I mean, it was pretty clear Atlanta's defense was gassed in the second half, since their offense couldn't stay on the field. All of those overthrown Brady balls started getting caught since Atlanta's coverage wasn't able to keep up. Lacking Desmond Trufant hurt a lot too, I'm sure.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

axeil posted:

Yeah, that's the closest thing I can compare this to. I'm a huge Seahawks fan, but they don't win that game without massive fuckups in both strategy and execution on the Packers' end.

That one was really really bad. There were a couple of spots where the Pack could have sealed it if they hadn't been so conservative. And they had that missed onside recovery, plus some ri-di-cu-lous Russell Wilson bullshit plays like that two point conversion.

I'd say tie goes to Falcons/Pats though, simply because it was the drat Super Bowl. Not to mention that the Seahawks and Packers had both recently won rings, while Atlanta... whew, what a brutal loss.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I mean, it was pretty clear Atlanta's defense was gassed in the second half, since their offense couldn't stay on the field. All of those overthrown Brady balls started getting caught since Atlanta's coverage wasn't able to keep up. Lacking Desmond Trufant hurt a lot too, I'm sure.

Yeah, Poole looked every bit the rookie last night. Neal as well. Jones and Campbell are the real deal and I suspect Neal will come back with a vengeance but not having Trufant really did hurt. Also having Clayborn there to apply even more pressure really stung.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i had to leave the internet for a while

what is that feeling when you know nothing will ever go your way ever because

why

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TBeats posted:

Jesus was like 5'5" and couldn't see over the line of scrimmage so ya if Jesus was the QB you'd be right.
Drew Breesus

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vertical Lime posted:

i had to leave the internet for a while

what is that feeling when you know nothing will ever go your way ever because

why

From last page:

Low Desert Punk posted:

lmao at Brady publicizing he's best buddies with Trump, so now every white nationalist in America sees this as a moral victory

The Great Experiment has failed.

It isn't even producing useful data anymore because it literally does not believe in objective evidence anymore.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's not just that the Falcons should have win. It's that it wasn't possible for the Patriots to win. It simply was not possible.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

It's not just that the Falcons should have win. It's that it wasn't possible for the Patriots to win. It simply was not possible.

Until it was impossible for the Falcons to win :(

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CannonFodder posted:

Drew Breesus

Undefeated in the Super Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

"Heh, hold my beer."

-Tom Brady

• Locked thread