Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Akumos posted:

Maybe a threat without actually doing it yet is a way to try and get you to gently caress off over there? I don't get the point of griefing people when the server is locked down specifically to craft before it goes public.

Griefing you should be encouraged, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Carecat posted:

Are crafting queues really buggy? We have a forge jammed with dozens of queued items.

If this happens, just have the person who queued everything up relog. It will clear the queueueueueueue.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
How does the map size in this game compare to Ark? Can you actually hide somewhere?

No boats / sea creatures / flying right?

Also the Conan universe has had some degree of magic. Have the devs made any mention of that? Is there a page I can go to see a roadmap or dev plans?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lilspooky posted:

How does the map size in this game compare to Ark? Can you actually hide somewhere?

Also the Conan universe has had some degree of magic. Have the devs made any mention of that? Is there a page I can go to see a roadmap or dev plans?

Magic will supposedly be tied to corruption. So the more powerful a mage is, the more decrepit and frail he is. They've also said it's going to be tied mainly to necromancy rather than flashy fireballs and poo poo.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I don't understand why there are so many "goon" servers. Kimsemus' is the official goon server though, right?

Also, for server admins (unconfirmed):

quote:

If you are the server owner or admin, there is an option in your serversettings.ini for aggro range.. It appears to be default at 9000 cm APX 300 FT.. If you reduce this to 1000 cm apx 30 ft, you will notice if you are near dungeons, you will get less lag. Adjust accordingly on your sever for best performance.
We build near a dungeon on our server and the lag around that area was terrible. We assumed it was the npc aggro from the dungeon or the coding on the corruption.
Hope this helps! Happy travels!

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 6, 2017

Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

lilspooky posted:

According to the internet, the base map size for Ark is 36kmē playable space, and 12kmē of ocean. Conan Exiles is 53kmē of playable area which includes water as it's all swimmable. No boats or flying, and the only sea creatures are very angry crocodiles on the beaches.

Hiding? Depends on what you mean. If you want to hide while hunting, it's possible if you go far enough north, but that only cuts back on people roaming around. There's a few areas where you can get yourself down in a valley and be largely invisible to everyone, but those spots are on the extreme fringes of the map and that unfortunately means you're far from a water source, which is bad news.

Hiding your 'base' is also maybe sorta possible if you build small and try to wedge into a nook somewhere, but you will be found sooner or later, and you need room to add crafting benches, so eventually the best you can do is to be 'off the beaten path', not hidden. The constant need for food and water isn't as bad as Ark but all food will spoil eventually, so you can't shut yourself in your base forever. Also, the safest places to build a base at the moment is on top of a mesa, some of the best spots will be visible for 3-4km away, so hiding isn't always in your best interest.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Is there a second clan going on the goon server? The first clan is already full.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Survivalservers has some weird issue atm and customers can't log into the CP. EU goon server seems to be up though.

Also: those sandstorms :stare:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 6, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

I don't understand why there are so many "goon" servers. Kimsemus' is the official goon server though, right?

Also, for server admins (unconfirmed):

Honestly 60 meters would be a good change anyways. If you make the mistake of wandering by a spider cave (I passed within 100 feet of one) it will vomit spiders out at you till you die.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

Picer posted:

Is there a second clan going on the goon server? The first clan is already full.

I wouldn't worry too much, Duster said a majority of the "real goon clan" is going to quit due to BMW destroying their dumb poo poo after they threatened us. They will soon have openings for goons who know what survival games are.

p.s. Don't build like this and get angry when people break it.

On a serious note Kimsemus' server is the official goon server yes. I don't know why other goons keep buying poo poo servers. The official one has been up for 12 hours with no crashes and no lag until about an hour ago some weird desync poo poo started happening. Just needs a restart and everything will be golden. This is the best server I've played on by far. Others can't even stay up for more than an hour and it's constant rear end rubber banding.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao there will be openings in the goon clan since BMW isn't taking on recruits. Idk they seem to hate the LGBTQ community. Maybe they are secretly Nazis.

Usually goons rush new games then bounce after a day or two. The 12 or so goonies building that stairway might quit idk. I and Bear in the Woods rebuilt most of the base, only concerned about half the clan that spent a lot of time making a silly things might be mad that silly things is in a state of disrepair.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

flick3r posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, Duster said a majority of the "real goon clan" is going to quit due to BMW destroying their dumb poo poo after they threatened us. They will soon have openings for goons who know what survival games are.

p.s. Don't build like this and get angry when people break it.

lol yeah I noticed a lot of really loving dumb construction projects going on last night. Spent a few hours gathering stones/metal meanwhile some goon is building a stairway to nowhere. With all the mining that was happening we could have had some pretty thick walls up in fairly short order, as well as a few basic enclosed buildings, but nope ZIGURRAT.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I think we're going to set a cron job to run a server restart script every 8 hours or so, and add a text warning if we can. The server control and config tools are still pretty buggy and rudimentary.

But beyond that, we had about 50 people on at max last night (just goons), and the server wasn't rubber banding or doing anything weird beyond what happens because of the wonky early access bugs, so we're pretty pleased. Tonight we will take the password off and open it up to the public. There aren't a ton of 70 slot servers up, and I think ours is the only run that doesn't run like poo poo, so we should get pretty good traffic. There currently isn't an AFK timer, but I think we can config that as well to stop server squating beyond the server resets purging everyone out.

People are free to run their own servers of course, but this one is running on a 64GB dedicated box on a main pipe, so I challenge anyone to run one with better performance, and as soon as mod support is added, we'll be adding mods that goons request. I don't think anyone can claim an "official" goon server, but as far as I am concerned, this one is the one. We managed to do what FunCom didn't let the community do: we coded their Windows only server files to run on a Linux box and will keep adding a lot of backend support and changes to improve and fix poo poo. It's an ongoing process, so there might be some bumps but we're pretty happy with the results so far.

As far as the different clans, we'll try to increase the support for clans from 30 to 70 today, along with adjusting XP rates and poo poo further, and adding a longer day cycle. And changing the server display region from Europe to NA, since it's hosted in the US. But BMW as a "clan" in the game is more or less the core group I and others usually play with, we've taken on a bunch of new people though as well, and I strongly encourage other goons and friends to form clans as well, or stay with the "main" goon clan under Duster. It's just more fun this way. When pubbies flood the server I'm sure we will band together, but if a goon didn't knock out a pillar wrecking half of a base thing, a pubbie would have immediately because :psyduck: don't build a skyfort predicated on one pillar in a survival game? My general rule no matter what happens though is Goons > not goons. I think BMW and any other goon clan will always rush to the aid of another when attacked by pubbies, but when there is no one to fight the wolves turn on each other. :getin:

We've added, and will also add, more voice channels on the BMW Discord (linked in the OP) for different groups to play on and can add server groups special for large groups as needed. There are also all the conan information channels with *useful info* as well.

If people have questions though, feel free to PM me there with concerns or server issues, or anything that needs attention and we'll try to take a look at it. Would really like to thank Tempus Thales and others though who put so much work into getting the server running this weekend.

We ran the math, and we feel like we can support 125+ player slots easily, but right now the game is hardlocked at 70.

Remember: The server password will be taken off at around 8pm EST tonight, so pubbies will rush the server in short order. Prepare for hilarity. :wooper:

You can find the server either in game or using the steam browser by searching "something dongful"

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 6, 2017

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Survivalservers are getting their issues under control, thing is up and running fine again and a few goons are online, getting eaten by the spiders which took over our base.

[EU] The Riddle of Steel - Pvp (70 slots)

89.163.204.50:38815

Use Steam servers to connect, we are among the many not showing up in the in-game server brower for now.

I will also try not to throw temper tantrums when someone kicks over our sandcastle hobo town.

I also love the sky ladder you built, I hope nothing baaad happens to it.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 6, 2017

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kimsemus posted:

a bunch of cool stuff

125 would be DECEEENT!

What about when the entire map is littered with broken homes and failed fortresses after a week? Will that effect the server at all?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Snatch Duster posted:

125 would be DECEEENT!

What about when the entire map is littered with broken homes and failed fortresses after a week? Will that effect the server at all?

There is a decay mechanic built into the game, but I was wondering about that last night -- we may try to write some kind of garbage cleanup script that deals with a lot of that.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I've got the "Unknown Status" bug on my tiny server for friends and randos unfortunately. If anyone was popping around on the Friendzone, I'll work on getting it back up.

Going to try and hop on the main server and mess around in the meantime. :)

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

quote:

Please restart your clients and Community Servers to make sure they receive the latest update to the game.

Changelog:
Fix for placeables disappearing on server restart
Fix for connecting to servers from the Steam server list

Let's hope this works, we had the Steam server bug since the last patch.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Rhymenoserous posted:

lol yeah I noticed a lot of really loving dumb construction projects going on last night. Spent a few hours gathering stones/metal meanwhile some goon is building a stairway to nowhere. With all the mining that was happening we could have had some pretty thick walls up in fairly short order, as well as a few basic enclosed buildings, but nope ZIGURRAT.
Let the record show that I and I alone built the Ladder of Babble, only using materials I mined myself, AFTER I helped set up the initial base.

Everyone knows that if at least one human sacrifice is not made to Yog the Holy Tree every day the sun won't rise. The purpose of the Holy Ladder of Babble is to make human sacrifice easier, this way we can march people off it instead of dirtying our hands bludgeoning them to death.

If it was destroyed while I was away :shrug: it only took like two hours.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 6, 2017

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Diogines posted:

Let the record show that I and I alone built the Ladder of Babble, only using materials I mined myself, AFTER I helped set up the initial base.

Everyone knows that if at least one human sacrifice is not made to Yog the Holy Tree every day the sun won't rise. The purpose of the Holy Ladder of Babble is to make human sacrifice easier, this way we can march people off it instead of dirtying our hands bludgeoning them to death.

After you logged more goons started adding poo poo to it man. At one point i saw nearly a dozen goons running up the stairs and down placing boxes, walls, and poo poo. No clue what they were doing but lmao.

EDIT: You truly are the Ozymandias of our time.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 6, 2017

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Set the Savior only accepts virgins as sacrifice. Luckily there is no short supply among goons.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Diogines posted:

i think its actually really cool and funny. Not everything has to be ultra functional and super secure. Sometimes a big gently caress off goon thing can be cool

hats of to you for making that, and also for being cool about people dicking with it

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

After you logged more goons started adding poo poo to it man. At one point i saw nearly a dozen goons running up the stairs and down placing boxes, walls, and poo poo. No clue what they were doing but lmao.

EDIT: You truly are the Ozymandias of our time.

Other posters were unclear. Was it destroyed last night? I only stopped building higher because I had to sleep.

I WILL REACH THE SKYBOX. DO YOU HEAR ME FUNCOM?! DO YOU HEAR ME! I AM COMING! FOR YOU!

V1 was a learning experience. If it has been destroyed, I think I can get V2 up quicker, taller and neater.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 6, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
diog you are a cool guy IMO

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Snatch Duster posted:

My server wiped to get rid of that vanishing chest bug and all the lag went away, so yes

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Diogines posted:

Other posters were unclear. Was it destroyed last night? I only stopped building higher because I had to sleep.

I WILL REACH THE SKYBOX. DO YOU HEAR ME FUNCOM?! DO YOU HEAR ME! I AM COMING! FOR YOU!

V1 was a learning experience. If it has been destroyed, I think I can get V2 up quicker, taller and neater.

Its not destroyed, you probably will only be a bit annoyed with having to patch up missing stairs and pillars. If you could, wrapping it would be great otherwise you will have to keep going east until you hit the edge of the map.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess I'm still a building n00b, do the pillars serve as foundation if they're tied off at the bottom? I haven't run into a situation yet where I need them for support.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Filipino Freakout posted:

I guess I'm still a building n00b, do the pillars serve as foundation if they're tied off at the bottom? I haven't run into a situation yet where I need them for support.

yep pillars are foundation, thats reallt their only purpose

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

Its not destroyed, you probably will only be a bit annoyed with having to patch up missing stairs and pillars. If you could, wrapping it would be great otherwise you will have to keep going east until you hit the edge of the map.

I think I MAY have found a way to wrap it in a spiral manner. Maybe. I will find out tonight.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Stairs should be able to clip through pillars, so with four spaced out pillars you should be able to place ceiling tiles that you can link stairs to. If you start it off with a foundation grid on the bottom so that everything clicks into place it should work.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I asked my Funcom friend how to suggest QoL improvements for the game. His reply was "The official channel is the Steam forums, but they are a steaming pile of poo poo filled with crazy nerds."

I got a feedback e-mail adress to send suggestions to, but goons being goons, I won't release it to spare the poor FC workers from being spammef with dickpics. If you have any suggestions for improvements to the game, quote my post and :justpost:

I will be sending them a list by the end of the week.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I asked my Funcom friend how to suggest QoL improvements for the game. His reply was "The official channel is the Steam forums, but they are a steaming pile of poo poo filled with crazy nerds."

I got a feedback e-mail adress to send suggestions to, but goons being goons, I won't release it to spare the poor FC workers from being spammef with dickpics. If you have any suggestions for improvements to the game, quote my post and :justpost:

I'm sure they've already received these suggestions before, but my biggest QoL issues with the game are not being able to see another players name until you're essentially humping them. Being able to see what clan they're in, and having your own clan mates names highlighted over a greater than normal rate would be nice.

The second thing is respawn mechanics. I'd like to see something similar to Ark where sleeping bags(in this case, bedrolls) are automatically assigned to you when placed. Regular full beds do not need to be claimed and are available for unlimited use by all clan mates.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Survivalservers.com is a garbage host and I hope they stub their big toe on a bed post every morning for the rest of the week.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

Survivalservers.com is a garbage host and I hope they stub their big toe on a bed post every morning for the rest of the week.

Yeah, I was going to just wipe my server but now they've staff-locked it. :x Are there any other hosts out there? If so I'll just chargeback and switch to someone else.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

they are going to ban you for this terrible idea.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

flick3r posted:

they are going to ban you for this terrible idea.

Good thing getting humiliated by video game companies is my #1 kink.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Please add in pooping, peeing, and puking animations like in AoC tia

EDIT: also if you step on fresh poopie, like 10 seconds old, you slip and fall down.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Game needs to "borrow" some server settings from ARK, like the one that disables building over important locations or resources

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hyenas are pretty rare, Funcom should up their spawn rate and spread imo.

Also all-wood shack walls would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

eonwe posted:

diog you are a cool guy IMO

Diog is super cool and if you haven't checked out his CYOA "Paradise Lost", over in TG, you're missing out!

• Locked thread