Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fickell fleecing those mother fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
UNLV extended Tony Sanchez through 2021 because gently caress it why not greatly limit the pool of candidates for your next AD

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/827215170522988545

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Gators trying to hire WVU RB coach Jajuan Seider, who is WVU's big Florida recruiter

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ

FB Scoop posted:

We’ve previously covered how much Clemson paid its assistants for winning the 2016 national title, but the bonuses don’t stop there. The school’s Board of Trustees on Thursday approved salaries for Dabo Swinney’s staff that will bump the staff pool for its seven returning assistants by $700,833, up to a total of $5.725 million — a figure that trails only LSU, according to the USA Today coaching salary database.

Here are the assistant-by-assistant salaries, as compiled by Greenville Online:

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables — up from $1.43 million to $1.7 million, with a 1-year extension.
Co-offensive coordinators Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott — up from $643,750 apiece to an even $800,000. Both received 2-year extensions.
Offensive line coach Robbie Caldwell — $515,000, up from $474,167, with a 1-year extension.
Tight ends coach Danny Pearman — $460,000, up from $441,667, with a 1-year extension.
Defensive backs coach Mike Reed — $420,000, up from $407,500, with a 1-year extension.
Quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter — $430,000, up from $383,333, with a 1-year extension.
Safeties coach Mickey Conn — $350,000, up from a $90,000 salary as a defensive analyst.
Defensive line coach Todd Bates — $250,000. Marion Hobby and Dan Brooks earned a combined $965,000 sharing the defensive line through last season. Hobby left for the Jacksonville Jaguars, while Brooks retired.
Strength coach Joey Batson — $450,000, with a 2-year extension. That’s up from $368,833.
Associate AD for football administration Woody McCorvey — $290,000, with a 1-year extension.
Director of player development Brad Davis — $232,500, with a 1-year extension.
Director of recruiting and external affairs Thad Turnipseed — $182,500, with a 1-year extension
Director of football operations and player personnel Mike Dooley — $177,500, with a 1-year extension.
Director of player relations Jeff Davis — $167,000, with a 1-year extension.
“This is something that has been incredibly important to Dabo over the last three to four years, to make sure our coaches who do such a great job are compensated at a level commensurate with their output,” Clemson AD Dan Radakovich said in a statement.

Adding in Dabo Swinney’s scheduled bump from $4.4 million to $4.8 million — plus $1.45 million in 2016 bonuses — and Clemson will pay out a total of $16.274 million in the 2017 calendar year between bonuses for the 2016 title and the 2017 season.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"Thad Turnipseed" is the most college football name I've ever heard.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pakled posted:

I was reading Nixonland and a guy named Turnipseed kept coming up, somebody in George Wallace's camp I think, and I was trying to remember the college football guy by that name. Guess they must be kin?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pakled posted:

Holy poo poo, it totally is.

Either that, or Jamarcus Russel.

Both are loving top tier college names.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Kobe buffalomeat

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

DJExile posted:

jesus christ

“As far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that’s where you lose me.”

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

DJExile posted:

jesus christ

Can someone please poach Venables already. How the gently caress does that guy not have a head coaching job yet Kirby Smart does

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
He's making bank and doesn't have the headache of being a HC

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Pitt has made a terrible mistake

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thermos H Christ posted:

Pitt has made a terrible mistake

Definitely an underwhelming hire after Matt Canada. It's looking more and more like Pitt's gonna regress hard next year.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Raise your hand if you mentally went to Deshaun Watson first and wondered who that old dude was.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
No I mentally went to Texas getting shut out by Kansas State, a bowl game in which we gained 69 yards total, and a 38-3 loss against Notre Dame.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Thermos H Christ posted:

No I mentally went to Texas getting shut out by Kansas State, a bowl game in which we gained 69 yards total, and a 38-3 loss against Notre Dame.

do you want me to start drinking this early? trigger warning!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think they've officially announced it yet but Iowa is bringing Ken O'Keefe back as the QB coach. He was Iowa's OC/QB coach from 99-2011, when he left to take a WR coaching job with the Dolphins under Joe Philbin, who was also part of Ferentz's original staff. It's not a very inspired hire but it's one that makes sense. I would prefer someone younger for recruiting purposes and to hopefully add a fresh voice to the staff, but there is something to be said for getting someone familiar with the program. It also makes sense to have an experienced OC on staff to help ease Brian's transition into the job, in the same way that hiring an experienced DC in Jim Reid as LB coach helped ease Phil Parker's transition into that role. Also, my biggest issues with O'Keefe were as a playcaller. I think the overall design of his passing game (lots of play action and deep crossing routes) were generally fine and make a lot more sense for our run heavy offense than Davis' horizontal passing game did. Being able to test teams deep occasionally is vital to keeping them from just crowding the line of scrimmage constantly, which is what everyone has been able to do to us the last five years.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Proud Christian Mom posted:

do you want me to start drinking this early? trigger warning!

My bad it was actually only 59 yards

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Not panthers legend dameyune Craig.....

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FizFashizzle posted:

Not panthers legend dameyune Craig.....

Supposedly going to be hired by Alabama soon

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Coach poaching at Houston continues on:

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/827652695079084033

This guy started at UH on January 7.

E: Replaced with former Tulane head coach Chris Scelfo.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 4, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

UF's badass DB coach is leaving for the Redskins. :sigh:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

UF's badass DB coach is leaving for the Redskins. :sigh:

Torrian nooooooooo

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I figured this would come sooner than later. Even VT wasn't going to hang onto him forever.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

look at all those DB recruits UF just screwed with that.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Dilber posted:

look at all those DB recruits UF just screwed with that.

The two things I gathered from glancing at Gator boards:

- Gray wasn't the lead on those DBs so this isn't that type of dick move

- Gator fans think they can claim getting Gray to the NFL (he coached there already)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The faster the Gators accept their role as a mid-major, the better, imo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/828619617828364289

Get hyyyypppe

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, that's a surprise

Between him and Charleton Warren joining the staff, pretty excited to see what the defense looks like next year it'll still be poo poo

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Lummoxville, Tennessee.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

With any luck Hoke will try to convert Tennessee to a different style of defense making them look terrible for the whole season.

Not that I have any experience with any of that.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Brady Hoke is a great D-Line coach and a great recruiter.

That's a great fit for him and a great hire for Tennessee.

But he failed once or twice so he is awful now at all things and should retire.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah to be fair you can do a whole ton worse than Brady Hoke as a position coach and recruiter

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
You can also do a whole lot better than working at Tennessee

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Maxwells Demon posted:

With any luck Hoke will try to convert Tennessee to a different style of defense making them look terrible for the whole season.

aaaaaaa :smithicide:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FizFashizzle posted:

You can also do a whole lot better than working at Tennessee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7G7loR2VVw

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Maxwells Demon posted:

He's not the coordinator.

Hoke is a really good d-line coach. Even when he was loving everything else up at Michigan he did a great job developing the defensive line

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee's d-line has been very underwhelming since Jones arrived, here's hoping Hoke can pick it up dramatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
D-Line coach is a perfect job for Hoke.

If your company promotes the janitor to CEO and he sucks, it doesn't mean he is now a bad janitor. He just needs to go back to his level. Hoke should do really well as a d-line coach. He's also a good janitor.

• Locked thread