Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
That ADVENT facility had a number of glass floors in it, with a lot more machinery and poo poo underneath. Was the implication that the facility is a lot bigger than just the parts that you explore during the mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

That ADVENT facility had a number of glass floors in it, with a lot more machinery and poo poo underneath. Was the implication that the facility is a lot bigger than just the parts that you explore during the mission?

That was also my take on it. Though of course, that raises the question of how that part of the base is accessed.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Parenthesis posted:

That was also my take on it. Though of course, that raises the question of how that part of the base is accessed.

Sledgehammer, obviously.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, clearly we captured the top secret ADVENT project simply known as "Crazy Legs". That's the only explanation I can come up with for what happened.

Then it's clear what the alien's objective is: assemble the greatest team in football history.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

ssmagus posted:

Jake needs to fix his game, Flamethrowers have been bugged since release and can only panic mind controlled Xcom soldiers.

Fortunately, there's a mod to fix that, which I believe is also integrated into LW2 if anyone's into that. :science:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Canuck-Errant posted:

Fortunately, there's a mod to fix that, which I believe is also integrated into LW2 if anyone's into that. :science:

Now I understand why they made the game so moddable. Why fix your game when the players can do it for you?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My mvp of the last time I did that mission was a mind controlled Andromicon. He basically tanked the Archon king without dying before pulling a cool-aid man to both reach the tube and to get out of the facility. I also ended up taking care of another story mission at the same time but that can be discussed at a later point.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Vincent posted:

Now I understand why they made the game so moddable. Why fix your game when the players can do it for you?

The Bethesda Solution.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Also the "cow metal gears" are Gekkos.

(and gently caress Huey)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 4, 2017

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!
I love the fact that Jade refused to use the acid bomb, despite the fact that he was fighting something that is as close to a giant robotic crab as he's ever going to see.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AhrimanPK posted:

I love the fact that Jade refused to use the acid bomb, despite the fact that he was fighting something that is as close to a giant robotic crab as he's ever going to see.

Yeah, that was pretty funny. Still, it's really not the same as before, though, since the bomb would be actively disadvantageous even at that moment.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 5, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Midnight Voyager posted:

Also the "cow metal gears" are Gekkos.

(and gently caress Huey)

They're called the IRVING unmanned weapons platform, thank you very much.

I agree with your anti-Huey stance, though. Drowning in a pool was too good for him.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Yeeessss tank with Untouchable, do it, do it! If a mech, androdemon, or something with a 'special move' is the last alive, I intentionally leave my Untouchable ranger in the open so they're baited into useless shooting instead of their nevermiss grenade equivalent.

Also at the bridge you should've totally Run and Gunned to the Advent officer across the bridge in cover, activated the Sectopod, Rapid Fire* the officer in the face and laugh as the Sectopod tried to shoot your dude. :colbert: The five other guys coulda taken care of the other thing in the pod!

* If this part activates your Giant Robotic Crab syndrome, Rapid Fire has no cooldown. I tend to slap on free reloads/extended mags on my rangers and every shot they take is a Rapid Fire at point blank range. This sometimes even deletes bulkier enemies like Androdemons!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't the Sectopod get two shots, though? While they usually use the second action on activating the big-rear end laser, they do sometimes decide to use the regular laser gun twice instead.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

He was clearly keeping his Acid Bomb in reserve for the Sectopod Ruler.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Canuck-Errant posted:

Doesn't the Sectopod get two shots, though? While they usually use the second action on activating the big-rear end laser, they do sometimes decide to use the regular laser gun twice instead.

??Maybe?? But speaking about the laser, I know in my playthroughs I'd had a few reprieves where the Sectopod moves and does the laser thing instead of shooting, which gave me another chance to kill it in a turn

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
Its "Shiv on" you don't pronounce the B :v: I Irish i know these things.

Why are there legs , the legs just happened while it was doing the posting then there was legs why legs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sectopods get three action pips and shooting doesn't end their turn. The enemy AI usually moves once, shooting once, and then if it can draw a line with two or more soldiers it will do the the big laser charge up. That's on reasonable difficulties. They can also change their elevation to give themselves a height advantage, which they need because like most enemies their base accuracy is terrible.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Sectopods are absolute terrors in the hands of players.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
Oh right. Well thats what Mimic Beacons and Untouchable are for! That should be 3-4 hits neutralized!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Coco13 posted:

Then it's clear what the alien's objective is: assemble the greatest team in football history.
Or put together the sickest breakdancing troupe of all time.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Another game where your Crits can crit is 'Lichdom:Battlemage'. They're called "Apocalyptic Crits" and are mostly there because you can charge your spells so the basic critical hit is guaranteed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Your crits also can crit in Let it Die. Sometimes you get a critical hit bonus on an attack, and if you attack at the right time and interrupt an enemy you get a counter bonus. Sometimes the bones are rolled and these two things coincide, resulting in a special fuckoff damage 'Counter Critical' that can basically one-shot anything if you've got a powerful enough weapon. :shepface:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Another game where crits can crit is warframe, to the point where people specifically go for weapons that are able to do so, there's even some silly weapon combos that can crit 3 or 4 times in one hit.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Nalesh posted:

Another game where crits can crit is warframe, to the point where people specifically go for weapons that are able to do so, there's even some silly weapon combos that can crit 3 or 4 times in one hit.

May I direct your attention to Yapping Eevee's post on the previous page detailing just that.

Quite honestly, I'm glad to follow this LP. But It's not doing what the previous one did since it's not making me want to play the game for myself.
There are just a tad too many bullshity design decisions that in their whole turn me off. And I don't much care for mod support and players having to fix more or less glaring errors on the devs' part.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Kinda curious, which parts of the design bug you? This LP made me want to play again, but it also managed to make me not want to buy the alien rulers DLC, because that looked like crap I didn't want to deal with in my run.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Attestant posted:

Kinda curious, which parts of the design bug you? This LP made me want to play again, but it also managed to make me not want to buy the alien rulers DLC, because that looked like crap I didn't want to deal with in my run.

It's several little things, how armour and shred work and how bringing at least 2 shredders on every mission once armour gets introduced becomes mandatory. It's not enriching the gameplay with meaningful choices it's an equipment/skill check with a big sign saying "Ignore at your own peril" on it.
Then we have ever escalating basic enemy hp and damage to keep them in past early game (Why? Because "Oh, boy, I love me some more officers and basic infantry!" said no one ever) while forgetting about other aliens: anyone care about sectoids? Because they seem to have vanished from the face of the world.
How your own progression works with the randomised workshop upgrades AND random loot drops or rejiggering everything about your soldiers just to make changes (In addition to the deserved nerfing of totally OP poo poo). Well, I like the addition of melee even if booshing was a casualty of that process.
And how the devs seem to balance the game around the strategies of the best Youtube players instead of Commander Jane Above Average.
How you need to cart your flying base around before you can do anything on the overworld like sell extra crap or send out the Skyranger Bradfordranger on missions. I guess looking at it go fills the time on the global map :shrug:.

Now that you made me think about what I dislike about XCOM 2, I think I managed to assemble a small rambling list of points why I'm just not motivated to go out and buy the game like Jade's previous LP did with XCOM 1.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Last Transmission posted:

And how the devs seem to balance the game around the strategies of the best Youtube players instead of Commander Jane Above Average.

Like, obviously you're allowed to play or not play the game for whatever reasons you want, but what you're referring to is much more a thing in the higher difficulty levels, which are, to some extent, very much intended to just be *hard*, and watching the best Youtube players is the best way for Firaxis to figure out what "cheap tricks" can bypass that difficulty (you may disagree on how cheap the tricks are). It does happen that the best known example is the move where you explicitly leave a soldier out of cover to get double the shots out of ambush, and the change to that applies to all difficulty levels, but that was a change that very much needed to be made. It shouldn't mean less that Firaxis figured it out by watching beagle play.

Commander Jane Above Average will probably find Rookie difficulty trivial, and Veteran a reasonable challenge (say I, and obviously my view is subjective).

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Dancer posted:

Like, obviously you're allowed to play or not play the game for whatever reasons you want, but what you're referring to is much more a thing in the higher difficulty levels, which are, to some extent, very much intended to just be *hard*, and watching the best Youtube players is the best way for Firaxis to figure out what "cheap tricks" can bypass that difficulty (you may disagree on how cheap the tricks are). It does happen that the best known example is the move where you explicitly leave a soldier out of cover to get double the shots out of ambush, and the change to that applies to all difficulty levels, but that was a change that very much needed to be made. It shouldn't mean less that Firaxis figured it out by watching beagle play.

Commander Jane Above Average will probably find Rookie difficulty trivial, and Veteran a reasonable challenge (say I, and obviously my view is subjective).

Yeah, I admit the difficulty balance (at the higher levels) is by far my weakest complaint of the bunch.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Honestly, I think most of those points, even if they're balanced around youtube players, can still be worked with. Even enemies just disappearing from the roster is still acceptable (Berserkers probably being the worst about this)

However, Rulers are just entirely bullshit and I cannot believe they made it into the game the way they are. Instead of being hard but fair they seem to be designed around express delivery of your entire team to the sick bay and or memorial. I mean, Jade's ruler appearances were largely optimal. What the hell do you do with anything else around? The second two having RNG on Unconcious (aka the dumbest status effect) on aoe attacks is even worse. What the hell are you supposed to do against the Archon King anyway, if repeaters don't trigger? Throw squads at them until it finally drowns under the corpses?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I completed an entire playthrough on Veteran without watching video one. The game is clear at the start that Commander is for people who are already experienced with this game and that Legend is strictly for people who want a nearly insurmountable challenge.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Complaining about equipment checks in the form of tougher enemies is silly. It's been that way in every X-Com/XCOM game. The race against the difficulty slider is a core part of the game.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

May I direct your attention to Yapping Eevee's post on the previous page detailing just that.

Quite honestly, I'm glad to follow this LP. But It's not doing what the previous one did since it's not making me want to play the game for myself.
There are just a tad too many bullshity design decisions that in their whole turn me off. And I don't much care for mod support and players having to fix more or less glaring errors on the devs' part.

It encouraged me to re-buy the game for the Xbox and finish a full play through.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah, that's cool. I'm just gonna keep following the LP for the thrilling story of this XCOM game Rootbeer chat and hilarious Jade-powered glitches.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Then we have ever escalating basic enemy hp and damage to keep them in past early game (Why? Because "Oh, boy, I love me some more officers and basic infantry!" said no one ever) while forgetting about other aliens: anyone care about sectoids? Because they seem to have vanished from the face of the world.

I'd like to see escalating sectoids as well, so that no enemy type just drops off. Completely disappearing alien types is dumb IMO.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ulmont posted:

I'd like to see escalating sectoids as well, so that no enemy type just drops off. Completely disappearing alien types is dumb IMO.

I'm not sure how they would escalate sectoids without making them too powerful. Their niche is basically taken over by another enemy type later on.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kwyndig posted:

Their niche is basically taken over by another enemy type later on.

Two of them, really, one of which also overtakes the Codex in a way (though it's Special).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yami Fenrir posted:

Honestly, I think most of those points, even if they're balanced around youtube players, can still be worked with. Even enemies just disappearing from the roster is still acceptable (Berserkers probably being the worst about this)

However, Rulers are just entirely bullshit and I cannot believe they made it into the game the way they are. Instead of being hard but fair they seem to be designed around express delivery of your entire team to the sick bay and or memorial. I mean, Jade's ruler appearances were largely optimal. What the hell do you do with anything else around? The second two having RNG on Unconcious (aka the dumbest status effect) on aoe attacks is even worse. What the hell are you supposed to do against the Archon King anyway, if repeaters don't trigger? Throw squads at them until it finally drowns under the corpses?

It's survivable. Jade had a dreadful activation on the Archon King and got punished for trying to counter-game it.
Also, pretty sure it's just a menu option to turn off Vahlen's Science Secrets DLC.

Rulers are still kind of bullcrap though.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Veloxyll posted:

It's survivable. Jade had a dreadful activation on the Archon King and got punished for trying to counter-game it.
Also, pretty sure it's just a menu option to turn off Vahlen's Science Secrets DLC.

Rulers are still kind of bullcrap though.

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but on the other hand "you can turn it off" shouldn't be the solution to a piece of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Need more modded in rulers. Andromedon ruler, ADVENT Trooper Ruler, Faceless Ruler, etc. RULERS FOR EVERYONE!

• Locked thread