Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

That is faint defense.

if kraft is evil, woody is eviler

besides the pact with satan of course, woody tried to sign that when he thought belichick was going to be his coach and didn't read the contract closely enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

"the Falcons are averaging 6.8 yards per carry, Ryan drops back to pass.."

WHAT
They were averaging 12.3 per pass attempt

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

if kraft is evil, woody is eviler

besides the pact with satan of course, woody tried to sign that when he thought belichick was going to be his coach and didn't read the contract closely enough

Evil implies some competence at something. Woody has never accomplished anything in his entire life that he didn't have when he was born.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

evilweasel posted:

and no part of that catch was luck either

edelman got a lucky bounce off someone's leg while doing his insaneo-catch, jones just managed to grab a ball when he was not open, get his toes down through sheer magic, and still hold onto the ball

it was absolutely insane, they showed the "what does this look like from the QB's perspective" and he was covered as all hell

And then the series of unfortunate events unfolded that ended any chance Atlanta had to hold on. RUN THE BALL AND KICK THE FG KYLE!!!

Seriously, I think he has PTSD. He is quoted as saying he doesn't even remember what happened but he knew they had to get back into FG range...they were on the 23...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

brady gave this year's mvp truck to James White, i'm glad he's started doing the "but seriously, here is the actual mvp" with the trucks

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Being friends with a racist fasist doesn't nessecarily make you one, but the alternative is choosing to be friends with a racist fascist, which is somehow worse.

They've chosen the side of the oppressor and they're lovely people, hth

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

iospace posted:

See, here's the thing I have to give Bellichek loving credit for. When he gets the lead, he knows how to loving protect it. He knows exactly when to run, when to pass, and when to boot it. Every other coach in the league it seems either goes too conservative (Green Bay) or goes for the ultimate 360 noscope killshot via TD (Atlanta). He's a great coach, but like the Yankees in the 90s, gently caress Off Patriots.

yeah i think this is the biggest thing. the last two superbowls the pats won had absolutely insane blunders by the opposing team at the end of games and its infuriating.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kraft and Woody can both be bad

One thing I'm noticing is nobody is bringing up the cursed Nintendo Switch ad that started the downfall. I thought sports ballers loved curses

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Whether or not Brady personally shares Trump's views are irrelevant, he's choosing to support them regardless.

He also has tons of children fans who are going to see his MAGA hat and think it's cool to hate brown people like their hero

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The second guessing of the play calling on that drive is over the top. The Falcons had just ran the ball and lost a yard. So it's not like they didn't even try to run. How can people seriously complain about putting the ball in the hands of the league MVP and asking him to put the game away?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mastershakeman posted:

yeah i think this is the biggest thing. the last two superbowls the pats won had absolutely insane blunders by the opposing team at the end of games and its infuriating.

It's a pitfall every other coach with a top flight qb falls into.

Though I think part of it has to do with "if we don't get a td, they win" which leads to the stupid.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Remember the one drive that was entirely automatic first downs on 3rd down conversions the patriots otherwise would've never gotten ?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
All billionaires are bad hth

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The second guessing of the play calling on that drive is over the top. The Falcons had just ran the ball and lost a yard. So it's not like they didn't even try to run. How can people seriously complain about putting the ball in the hands of the league MVP and asking him to put the game away?

Ex post analysis. Just like people still think Carroll was wrong to not hand the ball to Lynch in SB49.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Amy Pole Her posted:

Remember the one drive that was entirely automatic first downs on 3rd down conversions the patriots otherwise would've never gotten ?

Wasn't That the fg?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

And "whatever you do, don't take a sack" is something he should be able to rely on Ryan to execute.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Amy Pole Her posted:

a drive that resulted in no points

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

iospace posted:

Wasn't That the fg?

That was the pick-6 drive.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

I get your point, but at that point you also have to protect your lead. If even they had kneeled down 3 times and lost 3 yards, they still would have been at the 26 and while there is no guarantee he makes it, Matt Bryant has been money his entire career. It was the whole thing. Snapping the ball with :20 left on the clock, the incompletions that stop the clock and don't force the Patriots to use their time outs, the sack, the hold. I mean, it's a pretty easy argument to make that they run the ball three times, even if they go nowhere, kill the clock, kick the FG, celebrate your championship.

I feel like it's Football/Clock Management 101.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Amy Pole Her posted:

That facilitated the pick 6.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Amy Pole Her posted:

all correct calls that ended in 7 points for the other team?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

iospace posted:

Oh, and the 49ers are still going to hire Shanahan because their owner is bigger loving idiot than the Falcon's second half playcalling.
If you had polled SAS at halftime they would have told you with no reservation that Shanahan was the best OC in football.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

All billionaires are bad hth

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

weird Asian candy posted:

I get your point, but at that point you also have to protect your lead. If even they had kneeled down 3 times and lost 3 yards, they still would have been at the 26 and while there is no guarantee he makes it, Matt Bryant has been money his entire career. It was the whole thing. Snapping the ball with :20 left on the clock, the incompletions that stop the clock and don't force the Patriots to use their time outs, the sack, the hold. I mean, it's a pretty easy argument to make that they run the ball three times, even if they go nowhere, kill the clock, kick the FG, celebrate your championship.

I feel like it's Football/Clock Management 101.

It was very aggressive, but coaches so often get poo poo on for being too conservative and letting the other team back in the game that I feel like sometimes it's a no win situation. You go full on Mike McCarthy and you get called out for surrendering a big lead while trying to bleed the clock. You go for the first down and the TD to really sink the knife in and you get called out for not playing it safe. It's an art more than a science and most coaches seem to get it wrong pretty often.

Matt Ryan not taking every second off of the clock in every snap of the second half was weird though.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

It's kinda dumb to be up 28-3 and then call 5 runs for the remainder of the entire game. The Falcons needed some points to seal the game and this was their best chance to do so. That's when you play it safe.

a drive that resulted in no points

Actually it ended in 6 for the Falcons so double lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Febreeze posted:

It's kinda dumb to be up 28-3 and then call 5 runs for the remainder of the entire game. The Falcons needed some points to seal the game and this was their best chance to do so. That's when you play it safe.

I mean I can't really look at a 28-3 score in the third quarter and think "this game is sealed but only if they get some more points". The game was sealed. I mean, somehow they still blew it but the numbers were as close to 100% win probability as it gets.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
In shades of "I hate him so badly that I listen just to see what he'll do next" Howard Stern syndrome, Pittsburgh had the highest market share for last night's game out of the entire country, including Boston and Atlanta.

Pittsburgh loves football the most.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

even barring kicking a field goal, if the falcons had stopped even one 2 point conversion they'd have won.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

evilweasel posted:

I mean I can't really look at a 28-3 score in the third quarter and think "this game is sealed but only if they get some more points". The game was sealed. I mean, somehow they still blew it but the numbers were as close to 100% win probability as it gets.

Though I won't go as far to say it was the craziest win % swing this year.

That also belongs to the Falcons when Berry took that 2pt back.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Barstool building caught fire last night, apparently a small unimportant one.

But this told me two things.

1) They're based out of New York.

2) Some company bought a majority stake in them for OVER TEN MILLION DOLLARS.

What the christ.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

In shades of "I hate him so badly that I listen just to see what he'll do next" Howard Stern syndrome, Pittsburgh had the highest market share for last night's game out of the entire country, including Boston and Atlanta.

Pittsburgh loves football the most.

If the Patriots have to win another Super Bowl I will take solace in the fact that it'll bug the gently caress out of Pittsburgh

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

big money big clit posted:

It was very aggressive, but coaches so often get poo poo on for being too conservative and letting the other team back in the game that I feel like sometimes it's a no win situation. You go full on Mike McCarthy and you get called out for surrendering a big lead while trying to bleed the clock. You go for the first down and the TD to really sink the knife in and you get called out for not playing it safe. It's an art more than a science and most coaches seem to get it wrong pretty often.

Matt Ryan not taking every second off of the clock in every snap of the second half was weird though.

I just cannot for the life of me defend the call. And hindsight being 20/20 I get it, but even at the time I was shouting at the TV to run the ball. Freeman getting two touches the entire second half? Another thing I will never understand.

Like I said, I get the point. Matt had a perfect passer rating deep into the SB for crying out loud, but I just feel like it's common sense to run the ball, milk the clock, kick the fg and walk away. The Patriots wouldn't come back from 11. I guess I shouldn't say wouldn't given the amount of crap that had to go their way in the first place, but up 11 with next to no time is a lot better than up 8 with next to no time. That 3 point buffer was the game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Matt Ryan apparently was yelling at his QB Coach to call running plays.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/albertbreer/status/828624668965875712

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

fired up

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

FFFUUUUUUCKKK YOOOOOOUUUUUU TOOOOOOOOOM

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

:dukedog:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yeah apparently reporters laughed when he said this

he didn't, and appears to have been 100% serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

Matt Ryan apparently was yelling at his QB Coach to call running plays.

With Kyle leaving, I wish he would have just gone all Manning and called his own plays. It would have ended better.

Also, is no one really talking about the radio going out in his helmet? I just cannot even believe how many things went wrong at the end of that game.

• Locked thread