Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Michael Jordan retired and the Bulls went from 57 wins to 55 wins and a bad call in the ECF from another finals appearance.

Jordan was overrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Even the Browns aren't going to trade the no 1 overall pick for Matt Cassel 2.

no but they might be dumb enough to do it with #12 overall

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Tom Brady has five Super Bowl rings and I have zero, but I have enjoyed delicious strawberries my whole life. So who is the real loser?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a neat cape posted:

Marino was a top 2 or 3 QB in the league for basically his entire career, so no, Ryan isn't on that level

Ryan is easily the best QB in the league right now without a ring. And he's better than Flacco.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

iospace posted:

Ryan is easily the best QB in the league right now without a ring. And he's better than Flacco.

No.one is saying Ryan isn't good. I'm saying he's not a transcendent all time great like Dan Marino

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Say the Falcons come out in the 2nd half, play cover 0, mostly man, and are able to rush more than the Pats can block. Both flats are covered, Brady has less time and can't pick holes in a zone. He definitely throws another pick or gets strip sacked at least. And then its game over. Who was the Pats deep threat? NFL coaches are so dumb sometimes. You just know the Falcons spent the hour long halftime on a comedown from their adrenaline high and couldnt get it back

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

a neat cape posted:

No.one is saying Ryan isn't good. I'm saying he's not a transcendent all time great like Eli Manning

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can't believe the only man who ever beat Brady, twice, was the biggest simpleton ever.

I'm fine with Brady playing 4 more years only if it means Eli can muster one more Super Bowl robbery from the Pats (it'll never happen)

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

a neat cape posted:

Michael Jordan retired and the Bulls went from 57 wins to 55 wins and a bad call in the ECF from another finals appearance.

Jordan was overrated

That wasn't in the eastern conference finals.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Even the Browns aren't going to trade the no 1 overall pick for Matt Cassel 2.

they have the 12th too :eng101:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

extendedsolo posted:

That wasn't in the eastern conference finals.

Whatever who gives a poo poo about the East

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

weird Asian candy posted:

the decision by Weems to take it out isn't on anyone but him.

The defense got gassed because the offense stalled out in the 4th and playing that much man had depleted their energy.

They ran it out instead of taking a TB three times for pretty big yardage deficits. You'd think the coach would tell him to take a knee at some point in there.

Not going to argue that the defense got gassed, because they obviously did. Maybe the coach shouldn't have stuck to a nearly exclusive man scheme, and made some adjustments?

It was definitely some offensive coaching/play that cost them the game. It was also definitely some ST coaching/play and defensive coaching/play that coast them the game. People focusing so much on Shanahan's mistakes is silly; the whole team hosed up the second half.

(for which I am very sorry, I was pulling for you guys)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

African AIDS cum posted:

Say the Falcons come out in the 2nd half, play cover 0, mostly man, and are able to rush more than the Pats can block. Both flats are covered, Brady has less time and can't pick holes in a zone. He definitely throws another pick or gets strip sacked at least. And then its game over. Who was the Pats deep threat? NFL coaches are so dumb sometimes. You just know the Falcons spent the hour long halftime on a comedown from their adrenaline high and couldnt get it back

chris hogan is their deep threat, somehow

yes, i don't believe it either, but its true

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

#stolehisjersey

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The better question at the moment is, how long until the latest Patriots cheating scandal gets leaked?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

#stolehisjersey

I'm loving on it

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

a neat cape posted:

I meant more people declaring the 49ers morons for hiring him.

There are plenty of other reasons why the 49ers are morons

If he doesn't work out as a head coach it'll be because he can rub people the wrong way and is kind of a control freak. Couple that with Niners ownership and a GM with no prior experience and...yeah.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

evilweasel posted:

chris hogan is their deep threat, somehow

yes, i don't believe it either, but its true

He had a bad game, think the stage was too big for him

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

illcendiary posted:

I really am continually dumbfounded at how coaches forget the value of even an unsuccessful run late in the game. The fact that a single play can burn 45 seconds of game time is frankly a broken part of football and yet the Falcons were running plays with 15-20 seconds left on the play clock. Unreal

I think last night they felt like it was in their best interest go to for the TD and really ice the game. I agree though, why they didn't care more about the clock I'll never know. The only thing I can think of is that it would've deviated from their philosophy during that game of "PUT UP AS MANY POINTS AS POSSIBLE!"

I just feel bad for the Falcons, since this was most likely their best chance to win a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan. Aren't many of the defensive players up for FA after this season?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Coldforge posted:

They ran it out instead of taking a TB three times for pretty big yardage deficits. You'd think the coach would tell him to take a knee at some point in there.

Not going to argue that the defense got gassed, because they obviously did. Maybe the coach shouldn't have stuck to a nearly exclusive man scheme, and made some adjustments?

It was definitely some offensive coaching/play that cost them the game. It was also definitely some ST coaching/play and defensive coaching/play that coast them the game. People focusing so much on Shanahan's mistakes is silly; the whole team hosed up the second half.

(for which I am very sorry, I was pulling for you guys)

I'm sorry, I'm still super pissed off and overreacting to everything. It was a cluster gently caress of a game all around, you are correct. Shanahan is the easy target due to the end, but you are right if the defense were able to get off the field more it would have made a huge difference. If the offense were efficient on 3rd down, if they would have called more running plays, it would have moved the chains and allowed the defense to catch their breathe.

It was just a comedy of events man.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Eli Manning and Joe Flacco >>>> Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

I'm sorry, I'm still super pissed off and overreacting to everything. It was a cluster gently caress of a game all around, you are correct. Shanahan is the easy target due to the end, but you are right if the defense were able to get off the field more it would have made a huge difference. If the offense were efficient on 3rd down, if they would have called more running plays, it would have moved the chains and allowed the defense to catch their breathe.

Close loses in the Super Bowl absolutely are the worst. Thinking about it never gets easier, don't believe the condescending assholes that say otherwise (I've still never rewatched the entire Ravens SB).

I hope your team weathers it better than mine did :(

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I really can't blame the defense. They were very solid for most of the game until they were just too gassed to continue, and the offense just kept putting the defense back on the field so they couldn't rest. Early on that was because of quick scores, which you can't really complain about, but I wouldn't pin this on the D.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

extendedsolo posted:

I think last night they felt like it was in their best interest go to for the TD and really ice the game. I agree though, why they didn't care more about the clock I'll never know. The only thing I can think of is that it would've deviated from their philosophy during that game of "PUT UP AS MANY POINTS AS POSSIBLE!"

I just feel bad for the Falcons, since this was most likely their best chance to win a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan. Aren't many of the defensive players up for FA after this season?

No. The Falcons are actually in pretty good shape in terms of contracts and have a ton of youth from recent draft classes. I know I've said it before, but it is worth noting that 7 out of 11 starters on defense were first or second year players which is pretty incredible. I've been pounding the "they aren't as bad as stats show" drum for some time, so at least it was good to see them perform last night. Grady Jarrett looked like an absolute man out there and it appears him and Hageman side by side may be a good pairing for the future.

Their secondary is very young with Tru, Alf, Collins, Poole, Goodwin, Neal and even Allen.

They should be a player in the NFC for a while, but you just never know.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

a neat cape posted:

One bad game doesn't suddenly make Kyle Shanahan a bad OC

how about the 10 game losing streak they went on last year when people were seriously asking "is Matt Ryan done"

or what about his time in Washington and Cleveland

let's not act like the man has a sparkling resume marked by consistency. saying he's been "up and down" is generous

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Coldforge posted:

Close loses in the Super Bowl absolutely are the worst. The feeling never gets better, don't believe the condescending assholes that say otherwise.

I hope your team weathers it better than mine did :(

i think i'm over those two giants losses now, actually

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I really can't blame the defense. They were very solid for most of the game until they were just too gassed to continue, and the offense just kept putting the defense back on the field so they couldn't rest. Early on that was because of quick scores, which you can't really complain about, but I wouldn't pin this on the D.

I wouldn't either. I was extremely pleased with the effort the D put up. The offense was great for the most part too, they just didn't get it done when they needed to the most.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Matt Ryan by down:

1st down: 10/10, 171 yards
2nd down: 6/8, 94 yards, 1 sack
3rd down: 1/4, 19 yards, 4 sacks, lost fumble.

The DVOA for that game is pretty nuts: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2017/super-bowl-li-dvoaquick-reads

The Falcons being so horrific on 3rd down breaks the formula.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 6, 2017

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

evilweasel posted:

You say that but deep down you know 18-1 will always hurt

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

indigi posted:

how about the 10 game losing streak they went on last year when people were seriously asking "is Matt Ryan done"

or what about his time in Washington and Cleveland

let's not act like the man has a sparkling resume marked by consistency. saying he's been "up and down" is generous

Cleveland is Cleveland. No one succeeds there. And I'm pretty sure RG3 looked good under Shanahan.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

evilweasel posted:

Really living up to that username :argh:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

RG3 looked good for one year running a college offense, until they broke him. I hope Niners fans don't get their hopes up

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

iospace posted:

So is Matt Ryan the second coming of Marino?

Him and Phillip Rivers.

And I say that with respect.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

So is Matt Ryan the second coming of Marino?

No that is Andrew Luck.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is Ryan really on the same level as Rivers after this season? I'd so enthusiastically take Rivers over Ryan. I don't think they're comparable tbh

e:

Elephanthead posted:

No that is Andrew Luck.

lol; no. Luck's got a lot to do before he's even on the Ryan tier.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

The Falcons hangover is gonna be due to them ruining Mack in search of a Super Bowl which almost worked. But when Mack isnt the same next year Ryan is gonna get rocked.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'd take Ryan over Rivers right now, but only because of age. I still think Rivers is a better quarterback but saying that sounds homerish.

Rivers has put up mostly great numbers for a long time with lackluster offensive weapons other than Gates, a poo poo OL and bad coaches

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

TBeats posted:

If I wasn't so lazy I would go through the 150 or whatever pages of the GDT and collect all of the posts of people who counted out Touchdown Tom but that would be like 20k posts.

I have a folder of bookmarks of posts saved because I'm gonna make a youtube video out of it sometime this week

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Brady and Rodgers are tier 1 QBs
Wilson, Big Ben, Brees tier 2
Ryan, Flacco, Eli, Carr tier 3
Rivers, Luck tier 4

The rest whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002