Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I dunno if they have this too often in the UK, but good office chairs go on sale through craigslist as offices close pretty often in my area. Look for chairs by Steelcase, Haworth, etc.. I was able to get a couple Leaps for 100 bucks apiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

signalnoise posted:

I dunno if they have this too often in the UK, but good office chairs go on sale through craigslist as offices close pretty often in my area. Look for chairs by Steelcase, Haworth, etc.. I was able to get a couple Leaps for 100 bucks apiece.

I would second buying used. I got some really nice chairs from a new/used office furniture place in the basement of an independent office supplies store.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What's the best brand/place for getting weights for lifting? Looking for the best intersection of value and quality. Don't want the cheapest ones that are full of burrs or slightly mis-sized holes, or a bar that will bend with too much weight.

I've been scouring Craigslist, Freecycle, etc... for weeks, but I live in a relatively rural area, and there's basically nothing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrBouvenstein posted:

a bar that will bend with too much weight.

All bars bend, sometimes quite extremely over 700lbs or so.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

DrBouvenstein posted:

What's the best brand/place for getting weights for lifting? Looking for the best intersection of value and quality. Don't want the cheapest ones that are full of burrs or slightly mis-sized holes, or a bar that will bend with too much weight.

I've been scouring Craigslist, Freecycle, etc... for weeks, but I live in a relatively rural area, and there's basically nothing.

Assuming you mean bar-related lifts,

Used is the best option, but failing that, I'd get a decent bar (Rogue bar?) and whatever plates you can get. Get a basic bench if needed but not a cheap one, since you will be crushed to death if it fails you.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jose posted:

I guess between the £130 Markus and £300 although i'd definitely prefer closer to the £130

If you're really going to be sitting in it an awful lot then I'd recommend trying to find a used Herman Miller Aeron, they typically go for around £300 on eBay. I used to sit in one for 10+ hours a day for several years and I'm positive it's the reason why I'm not currently a deformed hunchback.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Roulette posted:

So far the only helpful suggestion has been maybe a GoPro in narrow mode. The cost of an inexpensive videographer is basically my entire budget for my wedding so it literally isn't an option. I'm not poor by any means, but I'm also not willing to take out a loan just to have someone follow me around with a camera instead of setting one somewhere so I can record raw footage to edit myself later.

Does anyone have any other camera suggestions?

I know this was a while back and congrats if you've already had your wedding, but all those "unhelpful" suggestions are totally on-point.

Is there a college or university nearby? Hit up the Photography and Broadcasting departments and pay a student maybe 10% of what you'd pay a "professional" videographer/photographer. They'll have their own gear, so no need for a new camera, and they'll be grateful for the experience. Everybody wins. I did this poo poo all the time as an undergrad and was super happy for the chance to do "real world" work, no matter what the pay.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Frankston posted:

If you're really going to be sitting in it an awful lot then I'd recommend trying to find a used Herman Miller Aeron, they typically go for around £300 on eBay. I used to sit in one for 10+ hours a day for several years and I'm positive it's the reason why I'm not currently a deformed hunchback.

Good to know. How are the knock offs of herman miller/eames chairs like for anyone who's used them?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Jose posted:

Good to know. How are the knock offs of herman miller/eames chairs like for anyone who's used them?

There's an office chair thread. The consensus seems to be buy a used Herman Miller/steelcase and if that's still out of your budget go with an Ikea Markus.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I need a suggestion for a bag that is like... angular I guess. This is mostly a style issue.

I currently use this as my messenger:

This is what I own for a murse:

I find the murse to be fine functionally, but I fuckin hate the aesthetic. I want a cross-body bag that has a GOOD strap, an integral laptop sleeve that can carry a slim 12-13" laptop, a main compartment, and a front compartment. Preferably made of something tough and light. Murse/ "EDC" sized.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I need a suggestion for a bag that is like... angular I guess. This is mostly a style issue.

I currently use this as my messenger:

This is what I own for a murse:

I find the murse to be fine functionally, but I fuckin hate the aesthetic. I want a cross-body bag that has a GOOD strap, an integral laptop sleeve that can carry a slim 12-13" laptop, a main compartment, and a front compartment. Preferably made of something tough and light. Murse/ "EDC" sized.

Have you checked the usual suspects, Timbuktu, Chrome, Mission Workshop?

Also, if you do up getting rid of that Merce, I might interested in buying it. What model is it?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Have you checked the usual suspects, Timbuktu, Chrome, Mission Workshop?

Also, if you do up getting rid of that Merce, I might interested in buying it. What model is it?

Yeah, I checked Timbuktu, Chrome, and MW in the past 20 minutes actually, hehe. The lower bag is a Tom Bihn Ristretto. It's an older model of it, but mostly the same. I can send you a pic and I would absolutely love to sell it. It has an integrated laptop sleeve, and I have one in iPad size and also Macbook Air size. Send me a PM for more deets

Chrome used to sell a bag I really liked for this, the Vega, but they don't make it anymore. That was the last of the good shoulder bags from Chrome that didn't have that stupid loving buckle.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, I checked Timbuktu, Chrome, and MW in the past 20 minutes actually, hehe. The lower bag is a Tom Bihn Ristretto. It's an older model of it, but mostly the same. I can send you a pic and I would absolutely love to sell it. It has an integrated laptop sleeve, and I have one in iPad size and also Macbook Air size. Send me a PM for more deets

Chrome used to sell a bag I really liked for this, the Vega, but they don't make it anymore. That was the last of the good shoulder bags from Chrome that didn't have that stupid loving buckle.

Cool, I will hit you up tonight. My dad just got a XPS 13 and is looking for a bag for it and I think the larger one might fit it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Along the same lines:
I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag that has held up VERY well. The issue for me is weight distribution with all the poo poo I carry. It's hurting my back.

I need a backpack that doesn't make me look like a high schooler. It doesn't have to be huge. The largest item I carry is a Surface 4.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
GoRuck bag.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Etrips posted:

GoRuck bag.

I got a GR1 for Christmas and it's awesome. Much less TACTICAL COMBAT GEAR than the 5.11 I used before and it's built like a tank. Internal pockets are pretty minimal but you can buy some pouches with molle webbing and set it up however you like. They're pretty goddamn expensive though.

I also got an eBags TLS Professional Slim Laptop Backpack as work swag recently and was kind of shocked by how good it is. YKK zippers, shitload of well thought out pockets, works in either backpack or briefcase orientation, looks good. Highly recommend as a first grown-up bag on a midrange budget.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Along the same lines:
I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag that has held up VERY well. The issue for me is weight distribution with all the poo poo I carry. It's hurting my back.

I need a backpack that doesn't make me look like a high schooler. It doesn't have to be huge. The largest item I carry is a Surface 4.

http://mixedworks.com/en/backpacks/swift.html in my opinion

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do they sell in America?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Do they sell in America?

Yes, they ship worldwide. I am extremely satisfied with my Mixed Works bag.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Y'all could try that rope bag from Kavu that everyone has - it's unisex and comes in a billion colors and isn't expensive

http://www.kavu.com/Product/923/Rope_Bag.aspx

Inzombiac posted:

Along the same lines:

But really...

https://missionworkshop.com/collections/backpacks/products/the-sanction-rucksack-backpack

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

black.lion posted:

Y'all could try that rope bag from Kavu that everyone has - it's unisex and comes in a billion colors and isn't expensive

http://www.kavu.com/Product/923/Rope_Bag.aspx

But really...

https://missionworkshop.com/collections/backpacks/products/the-sanction-rucksack-backpack

That rope bag is cool as heck

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That Mission bag is perfect. Thank you!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

For myself I ended up just buying a Waterfield Field Muzetto. Should be good!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Inzombiac posted:

That Mission bag is perfect. Thank you!

Good choice! Mine is three years deep into every day use and looks brand new

ONE OF US :black101:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I want all of the bags.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, I unironically love all these bags that will last 20 years, and I love them so much that I buy a different one every like 2 years

It's a sickness

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I bought the Hamilton Beach Flexbrew and got Burned. Tastes like plastic it's insane. I've even done multiple cleanouts using all methods online I can find. I'm currently returning it.

With this in mind, I'm looking for a Great Programmable Drip Coffee Maker and a Low Profile K-Cup machine. Counterspace is limited and I want to be able to make K-cup randomly for the wife or friends that come over (when a pot is not necessary).

I'd also like to avoid that K-Cup 2.0 nonsense so I can get hot water out of the machine.

Any recommendations for either request?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I haven't tested it but I've heard you can just stick/ tape/ glue the foil top from a kcup into the machine to fool it into thinking there's a valid RFID in there if you want hot water or to use one of the old "use your own coffee" kcups.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lawen posted:

I haven't tested it but I've heard you can just stick/ tape/ glue the foil top from a kcup into the machine to fool it into thinking there's a valid RFID in there if you want hot water or to use one of the old "use your own coffee" kcups.

Yeah I was reading that up.

I did some more research and came up with a combo I think will work.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01EA5ZHIA/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FJPSLJC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That Mr. Coffee one is $200 CDN right now, so it was $100 cheaper to order it from Amazon.com, pay for duty AND factor in the exchange rate.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, I unironically love all these bags that will last 20 years, and I love them so much that I buy a different one every like 2 years

It's a sickness

Just wanna go ahead and endorse all these bags

New Waterfield Field Muzetto on the bottom right feels downright luxurious among the rest of them though

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
One of my favorite bags is the North Face Roo pack.

It's a little larger than your average 90's Dad fanny pack, with a much sturdier buckle and two huge compartments. I've had mine for nine years now. I remember because when I bought it I was working at a summer camp and it was something like $36 and I thought about how that was equal to like, a shopping spree at Goodwill, which was where I bought all of my clothing.

I typically wear it across my back like a messenger bag, but it works as a lumbar pack as well. On my last day hike, I fit two water bottles, a small rain jacket, my wallet, my phone and a collapsible dog bowl in there. It can easily fit three bottles of beer, or two bottles and a sandwich. Mine is light blue and it's looking a little ragged now, but I don't want to replace it because it's just the best bag in the world.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

are standing air conditioners any good? i've moved and i want my room to be nice and cool in summer which is unlikely since its south facing and has massive windows. I'm not paying to have air con installed since that would be thousands but something where I just seal the windows for the exhaust would be nice

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Jesus gently caress. No.

Unless you have a landlord/HOA that won't let you use a regular window unit, don't do it. We have one and that loving thing is the bane of my existence in the summer.

1: it takes up so much loving space. It's the size of a medium-sized toddler and it gets to stand right in front of the window for the entire summer.
2: you know how loud the back end of a window unit is? Well now imagine that in your house. It's like running a vacuum all the time. I can't sleep with it on, I can't watch tv with it on, all I can do is go to another room and put in earbuds.
3: you have to empty the little water container once every 2-3 days. For me that means rolling it to the bathroom and balancing it on the edge of the tub while I drain the water out.
4: you have to store the loving thing.

We will be hopefully moving cross country in the next 2 years and I will unload it like a curse onto someone else.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Counterpoint, I work from home and I have 3 computers in there and its hot as gently caress and it's the only thing that keeps it cool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I own the place and might look into a window unit then

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jose posted:

I own the place and might look into a window unit then

FFS, please do. Even the Walmart special $99 tiny-rear end window units are better than those things (but spend more if you can).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a standing one and all those points are valid. Plus it is old and not all that efficient.
I got a new window unit for upstairs but the the landlord updated the windows and now nothing fits.

So now I have to lug the standing one upstairs, sleep in my office during the summer and somehow make a seal for the hose and sjslf fkfjdbaouxgebe gently caress

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've asked for a quote on installation of a proper unit that only does 1 room which is about £400 which will impact my decision heavily.

In the mean time I went for teh Ikea Markus and I really like it and am glad i didn't spend more

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jose posted:

i've asked for a quote on installation of a proper unit that only does 1 room which is about £400 which will impact my decision heavily.

In the mean time I went for teh Ikea Markus and I really like it and am glad i didn't spend more

"Installation?" Like of a small central air system, or having someone come put in a window unit for you? If it's the latter, it's a really simple job that anyone can do. Measure your window opening, then go shopping. Find a unit that fits your window and price point, pop it in the window, install a few screws into the places indicated in the instructions (so it doesn't fall out of the window), and you're done. You can buy some insulating foam if you want to save a few bucks on cooling--the area where the unit touches the bottom of the window can have small gaps that will let outside air in.

All in all, it's a <30 minute job, and one person can get the whole thing done from indoors. You can probably get it done for less than £150 if you do it yourself, and that includes the unit, screws, and foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I need a pair of pants that doesn't blow apart in the crotch. Both pairs of my Dickies have terrible holes now within a year.

Pants need to be all black and no extra pockets. They are for work, inside where I do bending, lifting etc. Found Carhartt on Amazon which are $40, which I wouldn't mind spending but I need them to last.