Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

For sure. I don't trust a 40yd field goal in the Super Bowl, especially when historically amazing kickers like Ghost are missing XPs. I don't think it was as straightforward as running three times and going for it, they needed an extra 10-15 yards to put Matt Bryant in a comfortable range, and even THEN you've got to worry about Shea McLellan hopping the center because you know at that point, the Patriots would be in all-out block mode on that play.

The Falcons for sure hosed that game up, but I think there are very few quarterbacks, if any, that could take the opportunities the Falcons handed over and capitalize on them. I don't think Big Ben could have done it.

Hear me out here, I think Rivers or Luck COULD have done it, but couldn't sustain success enough to get their team in position to do it. So yeah pretty much Brady is the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Lime Tonics posted:

The Texas Rangers were ordered Monday to help Houston police find the jersey worn by New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during Super Bowl LI.

The Patriots beat the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday night 34-28 in a thrilling overtime touchdown. It was the first time that a Super Bowl went into extra time.

Apparently, after the game, Brady’s jersey was swiped.

“I put it in my bag and I came out and it wasn’t there anymore,” Brady said. “It’s unfortunate, because that’s a nice piece of memorabilia.”

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/texas-rangers-ordered-to-help-find-bradys-missing-super-bowl-jersey

Well they showed Bradys leather bag in his locker on the broadcast so the thief knew what he was looking for

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

For sure. I don't trust a 40yd field goal in the Super Bowl, especially when historically amazing kickers like Ghost are missing XPs. I don't think it was as straightforward as running three times and going for it, they needed an extra 10-15 yards to put Matt Bryant in a comfortable range, and even THEN you've got to worry about Shea McLellan hopping the center because you know at that point, the Patriots would be in all-out block mode on that play.

The botched XP has no bearing on Bryant though. And Bryant, throughout his career, has been outstanding. The odds of him hitting a 40 yard FG are very, very good and I really don't think they needed an extra 10-15 yards at all. Bryant can hit from 60, 40 is a chip shot.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

extendedsolo posted:

Hear me out here, I think Rivers or Luck COULD have done it, but couldn't sustain success enough to get their team in position to do it. So yeah pretty much Brady is the only one.

Ben could, tbh

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Freeman was averaging 6.8 yards a carry

He got 11 carries

The Lamar Miller treatment I see (when he was with the Dolphins at least).

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

extendedsolo posted:

I mean, the Chiefs blew a 28 point lead to the Luck Colts in the playoffs.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

weird Asian candy posted:

The botched XP has no bearing on Bryant though. And Bryant, throughout his career, has been outstanding. The odds of him hitting a 40 yard FG are very, very good and I really don't think they needed an extra 10-15 yards at all. Bryant can hit from 60, 40 is a chip shot.

...you don't think the pressure of playing in a Super Bowl has no effect on kickers? lol, not everybody is an Adam Vinatieri waiting to put it through the uprights as time expires. Ghost can hit them from 60 too, and he missed an XP last night. It's not as easy as saying "well he can hit them from that distance all the time" lmao. Ghost is 5 spots above Matt Bryant in the "best NFL kickers" category and blew an XP. Kicking field goals has changed drastically over the past two years, they're not gimmies anymore. No head coach is sitting on the sidelines going "yeah, a FG from this spot is a lock for sure"

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

...you don't think the pressure of playing in a Super Bowl has no effect on kickers? lol, not everybody is an Adam Vinatieri waiting to put it through the uprights as time expires. Ghost can hit them from 60 too, and he missed an XP last night. It's not as easy as saying "well he can hit them from that distance all the time" lmao. Ghost is 5 spots above Matt Bryant in the "best NFL kickers" category and blew an XP. Kicking field goals has changed drastically over the past two years, they're not gimmies anymore. No head coach is sitting on the sidelines going "yeah, a FG from this spot is a lock for sure"

Pressure, sure I just love how you automatically assume Bryant misses because he isn't GHOST. GHOST IS THE GREATEST KICKER EVER!

I like Bryant's chances in that spot, pressure or not.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

The Falcons for sure hosed that game up, but I think there are very few quarterbacks, if any, that could take the opportunities the Falcons handed over and capitalize on them. I don't think Big Ben could have done it.

And even after the sack (2nd down play, after a 1 yard loss on a run. 23 yard line. 5 step drop out of shotgun from 28 to the 33 yard line, Ryan scrambles backwards for another 5 yards to almost the 40) they would have been fine if not for a holding penalty by Matthews on the third down.

Just about everyone hosed that drive up, except for Julio.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pressure, sure I just love how you automatically assume Bryant misses because he isn't GHOST. GHOST IS THE GREATEST KICKER EVER!

I like Bryant's chances in that spot, pressure or not.

So do I, just not enough to pass up the chance to try to run the ball three times and get a first down to improve them.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

evilweasel posted:

So do I, just not enough to pass up the chance to try to run the ball three times and get a first down to improve them.

Agreed. I wouldn't have kneeled down three times then kicked, I would have run three times, hoped for a first and would have settled for a FG all day.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

King Hong Kong posted:

I mean, the Chiefs blew a 28 point lead to the Luck Colts in the playoffs.

That game was horrible, but the Chiefs offensive starters for it were Dwayne Bowe, Alex Smith, RB Cyrus Gray, a TE named McGrath

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9MQAD1Luo

this is me

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Did you get permanent brain damage between last night and today or something? Way to totally ignore and misrepresent what I just said.

Did Bryant have a good shot at the kick? Sure. Was it a smart idea to risk it and potentially give the Patriots the ball with only half the field to drive? gently caress no.

EDIT: They should have ran it from the 25 yard line or wherever they were. But after the sack, and not even after the penalty that followed that put them completely out of range, I don't think they were willing to risk it.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Ben could, tbh

nah he would've been intercepted at least once.

As good as the patriots were this year, lets admit that it always takes a little bit of luck to win a Super Bowl. I mean Derek Carr was injured at the end of the season. The Texans defense played well enough to possibly win, but their QB is an atrocity. If the Texans even have a competent QB they win that game. The Steelers best offensive player went out early in the game, shutting the door on any comeback, not that I think they would've won anyway. Obviously last night with the falcons coaches making GBS threads the bed in legendary fashion. I'm glad they made it, because it was an all time great game and there will be a 30 for 30 narrated by a salty rear end Bill Simmons about the full calendar year from Villanova to now. Is there anything MORE ridiculous that what happened last night that could happen in the next 8 weeks?

extendedsolo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 6, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Did you get permanent brain damage between last night and today or something? Way to totally ignore and misrepresent what I just said.

Did Bryant have a good shot at the kick? Sure. Was it a smart idea to risk it and potentially give the Patriots the ball with only half the field to drive? gently caress no.

I have no idea what you said because all I read was GHOST GHOST GHOST GHOST. Bryant had a better FG% than GHOST this year.

Running the ball to kill the clock, force NE to use timeouts and then trot out a great (whether you can admit it through your BAHSTIN goggles or not) kicker is not exactly a risk...I'm not the one with brain damage. Even running it twice and then going for a higher percentage pass would have sufficed. Basically, the exact opposite of what they did. What they did WAS the risk and it blew up in their face.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

SHOAH NUFF posted:

That game was horrible, but the Chiefs offensive starters for it were Dwayne Bowe, Alex Smith, RB Cyrus Gray, a TE named McGrath

also every member of the chiefs secondary inexplicably chose that game to die for some reason

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

extendedsolo posted:

nah he would've been intercepted at least once.

cf: SB 43. If you get hot streak Ben, he does it. If you get cold streak Ben, you get the INT. Brady is the only football robot who is better than 50/50

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
osama won

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I have no idea what you said because all I read was GHOST GHOST GHOST GHOST.

That's all you read because you're an idiot who was more eager to argue about a point I never made

Running the ball to kill the clock, force NE to use timeouts and then trot out a great (whether you can admit it through your BAHSTIN goggles or not) kicker is not exactly a risk.

I literally just loving said this in the post you originally quoted. The risk isn't that strategy, the risk is relying entirely on the field goal from a coaching perspective, independently of how good or bad your kicker is.

Even running it twice and then going for a higher percentage pass would have sufficed. Basically, the exact opposite of what they did. What they did WAS the risk and it blew up in their face.

Well I'd like to think they were going for that idea, except in reverse. Because they had just gotten up to that field position thanks to Freeman and wanted to keep the NE defense on their heels. But what happened was a sack, which necessitated another pass play.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Turdsdown Tom posted:

That's all you read because you're an idiot who was more eager to argue about a point I never made

I literally just loving said this in the post you originally quoted. The risk isn't that strategy, the risk is relying entirely on the field goal from a coaching perspective, independently of how good or bad your kicker is.

Well I'd like to think they were going for that idea, except in reverse. Because they had just gotten up to that field position thanks to Freeman and wanted to keep the NE defense on their heels. But what happened was a sack, which necessitated another pass play.

You're angry and look like an idiot and this is completely independent of you being right or wrong

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Yup, I'm the idiot...

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kalli posted:

Matt Ryan by down:

1st down: 10/10, 171 yards
2nd down: 6/8, 94 yards, 1 sack
3rd down: 1/4, 19 yards, 4 sacks, lost fumble.

The DVOA for that game is pretty nuts: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2017/super-bowl-li-dvoaquick-reads

The Falcons being so horrific on 3rd down breaks the formula.
Seems pretty telling that
1) The people who made DVOA were completely wrong about who would have the much higher DVOA, right after watching the game
2) They wrote in their article that DVOA isn't saying that the Falcons were "better", which is the opposite of what they say everywhere else

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Y'all ready for baseball season

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

trash person posted:

gently caress baseball, i'm ready for the Daytona 500 :banjo:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

evilweasel posted:

This is kinda neat:

Well starting fast certainly wasn't a must.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

trash person posted:

I'm excited to look at box scores and see how my favorite player and best player in baseball does while the team only wins 60 games

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Seems pretty telling that
1) The people who made DVOA were completely wrong about who would have the much higher DVOA, right after watching the game

I don't think so, they give a good explanation of the hidden variable: that nobody ever really thinks about a disparity in number of plays run. It just always sort of evens out where the team that's running better plays runs more of them. The Falcons somehow managed to run better plays but less of them, something nobody would really think to even consider.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Ben could, tbh

Ben Brady yeah

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

here are my thoughts on the new england patriots

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Ghost has been shanking XPs ever since they moved it back for a while now

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

yeah and it makes me feel sad on the inside :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is funny how there's so much focus on atlanta collapsing (and they had to, no matter how good you are you aren't coming back down 25 points in the super bowl on your own tho atlanta wins the game with gently caress ups against any other team) but the falcons were only up by so much due to the pats loving up the first half. it's like they didn't even practice. brady ate two drive ending sacks with guys open, he had two guys open on the pick six. the playcalling was loving rear end in the first half.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hello guys, here I am getting off the team plane:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
My thoughts: I never cared about either of these teams too much, but I was kind of disappointed about the prospect of a SBXLVIII level shutout (which I find boring) and it was exciting to see such a swift and massive, multi-record breaking comeback. Both teams played very well. Congratulations to all of these athletic multimillionaires, I say!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am very happy that Alex Mack went from the Browns to Superbowl Center on the Atlanta Falcons. I'd liked to have seen him get a ring.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Gatts posted:

I am very happy that Alex Mack went from the Browns to Superbowl Center on the Atlanta Falcons. I'd liked to have seen him get a ring.

Yeah. That final sack was his assignment too. He was hurting bad...makes you wonder how different things would have been had he not been playing on a broken leg. :(

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

It makes me worried that he did permanent damage to his leg.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Worst part about that Super Bowl is Patriots fans turning into neverending shitlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kalli posted:

Hello guys, here I am getting off the team plane:

Matty P's T-Shirt game was on for this Super Bowl, between Goodell the clown and "The North Remembers" it's probably his rocket engineering background that makes him very angry at the Wells reports treatment of basic science.

• Locked thread