Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zurai posted:

If Lucina beats the relevant blue non-knights, then so does Lyn, especially if Lyn is dinged from a prior engagement and thus is both a point faster and a point stronger than Lucina. Camilla's role isn't to be the vanguard. She's an assassin. She trumps any non-red, non-Takumi ranged character and shits all over mages because her Resistance is absurd.

EDIT: Source for my stats talk.

The problem with this argument is why are you assuming one is dinged and the other isn't? All things even, with both taken ~50% damage, congrats Lyn has just barely managed to surpass Lucina's single hit damage by one point - but Lucina now doubles her, let alone anyone else. Because while Lyn has Desperate Attack (or so I assume from how you worded that), Lucina has Desperate Speed, which will kick in before Falchion potentially heals her as well. And with Lucina's specials ignoring huge chunks of Def as well, that pushes her even further ahead in the damage race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Got my first 5 star unit. It is Ogma.

Are Brave weapons worth it on someone like him? I've been seeing mixed reviews from the thread.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Zurai posted:

My Lyn is level 37 and I still get lots of use out of both Sol Katti and Desperate Attack. It's all in knowing what to attack and what to bait with her, and in supporting her properly so she doesn't get killed on the enemy turn after being wounded.

That's sort of the point. There are lots of other characters that don't need as much babysitting and still have the one-shot kill power necessary. I have to make do with my Lyn since I don't have all those great characters and like you say, it works out, but that still plants Lyn right in the middle of the pack for the 5*'s

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 6, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Lord Koth posted:

The problem with this argument is why are you assuming one is dinged and the other isn't? All things even, with both taken ~50% damage, congrats Lyn has just barely managed to surpass Lucina's single hit damage by one point - but Lucina now doubles her, let alone anyone else. Because while Lyn has Desperate Attack (or so I assume from how you worded that), Lucina has Desperate Speed, which will kick in before Falchion potentially heals her as well. And with Lucina's specials ignoring huge chunks of Def as well, that pushes her even further ahead in the damage race.

It's harder to get Lucina to half HP, though, and harder to keep her alive once there. Her defenses are worse and her HP is higher, and she doesn't get the double pre-emptive attack Lyn does. And it's not like Lyn is without a special attack, either (that's Roy).

ChronoReverse posted:

That's sort of the point. There are lots of other characters that don't need as much babysitting and still have the one-shot kill power necessary. I have to make do with my Lyn since I don't have all those great characters and like you say, it works out, but that still plants Lyn right in the middle of the pack for the 5*'s

You have to baby Lucina even more because more things just flat out kill her.

All I'm saying is that the statement "don't bother with Lyn, she's trash" is just stupid. Lyn and Lucina are pretty much equivalent, with different advantages over each other.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 6, 2017

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Anyone else use Azura much? She has been amazing for doing the story missions along with Leo. Being able to give any unit a second move and attack seems crazy powerful, but not sure if I'm missing something meta related that will make her less viable in Arena missions once she is max level.

Azura is amazing, the only problem is she spends every turn giving Takumi another turn so it's hard to level her up. Also count me in as another person who thought Takumi was a woman until I played with the sound on.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Should you unlock potential as soon as you hit 20 or will they get a better stat bonus if you keep leveling them higher?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Should you unlock potential as soon as you hit 20 or will they get a better stat bonus if you keep leveling them higher?

the only reason to keep leveling a character after you hit level 20 is to gain skill points. everything else resets to base level for that potential when you unlock the next potential level.

in short, don't waste time leveling dudes 3* or below past level 20

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I bought Dark Breath and my level 25 3* Corrin basically soloed stage 6-5 Hard

Sorry Sully, you're off the A-Team

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Man, whoever called Aether a trap skill was right on the goddamn money. It's funny how small the shift from 4 to 5 actions seems on paper, but in execution means the skill usually only activates long after the bulk of the fighting is done.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 6, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nihilarian posted:

I bought Dark Breath and my level 25 3* Corrin basically soloed stage 6-5 Hard

Sorry Sully, you're off the A-Team

Female Corrin is an amazing tank and support unit. Just don't let any green mages near her.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Man, whoever called Aether a trap skill was right on the goddamn money. It's funny how small the shift from 4 to 5 actions seems on paper, but in execution means the skill usually only activates long after the bulk of the fighting is done.

Yeah, I find that the 5a skills tend to come into play after the match has a clear upcoming victor and still doesn't turn the tides enough to matter if I happen to be on the losing end.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

cpaf posted:

Problem is, you score less points in a PvP round if a character dies, which is what the point range refers to. Trading is still important to win matches of course, but you shouldn't be using it carelessly

This is one of the big reasons Hector and Takumi are so oppressive in PvP, because you are often forced to trade a character to deal with them and in turn win fewer points

e:

By all accounts Anna and Sharena have top tier stat totals at max level 5*, plus the monthly quests seem to be geared towards requiring story characters to be brought along (Alphonse :smith:) so they might be worthwhile investments. Judging by that image Anna seems like a better axe user than Camilla

I take it Chiki is Tiki? Her speed stat looks like it should be good enough to not get doubled by too many people, or potentially anyone if you have a +speed passive buffer on the team. Shame she still gets obliterated by any falchion users and most blue units.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ChronoReverse posted:

Yeah, I find that the 5a skills tend to come into play after the match has a clear upcoming victor and still doesn't turn the tides enough to matter if I happen to be on the losing end.

I dunno, I have Astra on Lyn and I end up using her as a crutch enough in really tough fights that she usually gets to oneshot some poor fucker with it.

Though, something like Luna that activates every third action instead really does seem a lot better. I kinda wanna make Frederick my first crafted 5* because of how utterly insane he seems like he'd be with the Hammer+, 5* stats, and Luna.

Also I played an arena match against someone with a Marth that had two levels on my Marth but like six speed and ten (!) attack. :mad:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I would like to see them put in larger maps with more enemies on them or phased encounters where new enemies zone in to make the longer CD abilities better. Only ever seem to get the long cooldowns to fire on characters who can multi-trigger their skill cooldown, or on maps with five opponents

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Heaven Spacey posted:

I dunno, I have Astra on Lyn and I end up using her as a crutch enough in really tough fights that she usually gets to oneshot some poor fucker with it.

But that's exactly it, Lyn was going to pwn whoever that poor SOB was anyway most likely.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Heaven Spacey posted:

Though, something like Luna that activates every third action instead really does seem a lot better. I kinda wanna make Frederick my first crafted 5* because of how utterly insane he seems like he'd be with the Hammer+, 5* stats, and Luna.

Also I played an arena match against someone with a Marth that had two levels on my Marth but like six speed and ten (!) attack. :mad:

There is a level 40 Frederick in one of the chapter 9 lunatic missions who is absolutely terrifying

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ComposerGuy posted:

I think 4x 5* Hector could at least give it a run for its money.

Nah, you'd only need, like, 2 Hectors at most. Takumi is useless against Hector.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Clarste posted:

Nah, you'd only need, like, 2 Hectors at most. Takumi is useless against Hector.

3x Takumi with a Tiki to murder all the Hectors.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mirthless posted:

I would like to see them put in larger maps with more enemies on them or phased encounters where new enemies zone in to make the longer CD abilities better. Only ever seem to get the long cooldowns to fire on characters who can multi-trigger their skill cooldown, or on maps with five opponents

Yeah reinforcements will almost certainly be in future maps eventually, since they're a staple in the series.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah, Tiki is a real pain for Hector, and therefore my entire team. Honestly she has enough defense and speed to be real annoying to Takumi too.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Takumi, Fae, Dancer, Healer is what I run. Armors are a literal joke because they can never get in range to do anything before they get one rounded.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

akulanization posted:

Takumi, Fae, Dancer, Healer is what I run. Armors are a literal joke because they can never get in range to do anything before they get one rounded.

Hector has Ranged Counter and always gets counters with two hits if he's above 80% HP at the start of battle. He'll kill Takumi on a counterattack, and most mages too since he's got a billion strength. Not sure how he'd do against Fae though, since you don't see many.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Clarste posted:

Hector has Ranged Counter and always gets counters with two hits if he's above 80% HP at the start of battle. He'll kill Takumi on a counterattack, and most mages too since he's got a billion strength. Not sure how he'd do against Fae though, since you don't see many.

He just barely loses if you tag him with her debuff, and use a dancer. He probably loses a lot harder to Tiki, but I don't have a Tiki.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

So listening to an audiobook on iphone and then turning the sound back on in Fire Emblem Heroes does this to my game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csGm1uOZ6zg

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

i want hector so goddamn badly

I actually did a third pull because I have no self control (3* crap and a 4* Camilla), but I'm gonna sit on the rest of my orbs until the new banners drop in about a week and a half from now.

Also from what I've seen in the arena Elise looks leaps and bounds ahead of the other healing units. She gets Recover to heal for base 15, has a balm effect (though I can't remember which one it was), I'm pretty sure she had the spell that lowers a unit's ATK by 6 when you tag them with it, she gets a skill that allows her to self-heal for half of all the healing she does, and to top it all off, she's mounted so she gets three movement.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

So listening to an audiobook on iphone and then turning the sound back on in Fire Emblem Heroes does this to my game

lmao

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

Also from what I've seen in the arena Elise looks leaps and bounds ahead of the other healing units. She gets Recover to heal for base 15, has a balm effect (though I can't remember which one it was), I'm pretty sure she had the spell that lowers a unit's ATK by 6 when you tag them with it, she gets a skill that allows her to self-heal for half of all the healing she does, and to top it all off, she's mounted so she gets three movement.

She heals for 100% of the healing she does when the skill is maxed out, she has the +ATK balm (which has a longer charge time with Recover), and she gets Gravity, not ATK down, as her special spell. Gravity reduces their movement to 1 next turn. Honestly Gravity seems pretty bad to me in most cases though, since to even use it she needs to end her turn within 1 movement of an enemy, so I have her using the basic one that does more damage.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

working as intended

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I've been rerolling and i actually got 2 5* in one... but it's lilina and jacob and I have 2 3* wryses rounding out the lot. so I'm keeping on keeping on.

Got a bunch of pulls with 1 5* in them, and I promised I'd accept a pull with 2 5* guys... but it's Lilina and Jacob.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lilina is terrifying to Hector.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

This makes me very happy for some reason.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Go home training tower, you're drunk.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Clarste posted:

don't worry, a lot of fathers feel that way

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

lol

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Arena rewards are out! Ended up with about 4500 feathers from placing 2300th-ish and hitting the highest tiers on offence and defence.

Gonna hang on to them until the meta settles a bit, though I am tempted to 4* Anna

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anybody have any idea what the "tier 1" next to everyone in my friend's list means?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Does anybody have any idea what the "tier 1" next to everyone in my friend's list means?

It's a PvP reference; everyone is in Tier 1, 7th Platoon Training presumably because nobody has been seeded to PvP tiers just yet

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

ZenVulgarity posted:

Are there any def lowering moves that aren't ults like Luna

Defense is annoying as f

Aside from the dagger users the other guys mentioned, there's Roy and Oboro with Seal Def and Peri and Raven with Threaten Def.

For dagger users, Felicia and Jacob would be the best armor busters, since their debuff goes up to -7. Felicia also has an AoE heal after combat and can boost her damage using her Res.
Jakob in turn has increased def and self-heals 10 HP every 4/3/2 turns.
Kagero's useless as armorbuster 'cause her debuffs only work on infantry, but is a solid mage and dagger killer.
Saizo's pretty good, his debuff goes up to -6 and works on a 2-range AoE, so with careful positioning you could theoretically debuff the armor safely by tagging someone else. Even if that's not possible it lets you kill everyone else that much faster particularly if you bring out your own bait. He also does 10 flat damage after combat, which is nice, and can also flip debuffs on your allies into buffs, which can be useful against units such as Takumi who have Threaten skills.
Gaius and Matthew have the weakest debuff at -5, in return they get +5 Def/Res to themselves, although it only happens after combat, so no guarantees they won't explode. Matthew also brings 10 flat damage after combat, while Gaius gets Defiant Atk and Pass.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 7, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Just 20,000 more feathers... :gonk:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Mages just don't have enough umph compared to most physical damage dealers. I have a Leo who is just a big liability in a lot of circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Zotix posted:

Mages just don't have enough umph compared to most physical damage dealers. I have a Leo who is just a big liability in a lot of circumstances.

Yeah, Leo has been really bad for me too. Linde isn't too bad since she has decent speed and an allies Res booster. It also helps that she's blue and there's a glut of red units in the game right now.