Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Med students pay that off in what like 4 years? 5 if they are too cool for dermatology and maybe 6 if they really wanted that 911. I don't think they are a doctor.

$100k would be a low but not unheard of salary for a Pediatrician or Family Doctor in shittier medical markets. It's a normal and good salary for PA, Vet Med and not unusual for lawyers.

280k in loans is easy for any of those professions.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5sfjh2/just_figured_out_i_have_paid_the_17k_original/

quote:

So...I have just been making my payments, most often on time, of 350-400 a month since Feb 2013. Nissan Versa was 17k, they just updated their website which used to suck and now it shows how much is left on hte loan and it hit me digging through the info that I've this month now paid 17k on this loan...and have 9k left.
Doing the math, that means that A. I'm paying 50% on top of the original loan amount. B. My remaining amount is more than the worth of my car now 4 years later.
What am I doing wrong? How do I need to look at this? Is there any way to end up paying less than this 9k?

Wow, going back I just pulled my original paperwork: 18.65% Annual Percentage 72 Months/Payments of 398

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5scvl4/retirement_question_how_much_do_i_need/

quote:

Atm, I've been investing by buying a portion of bitcoin every month. (.750). This has been going well for last 2 years and I'm at about 18.75 bitcoins. I plan to retire from my job soon but was wondering advice on if once I hit 20 to just hold onto it and use it all as my retirement money. I've never really done stocks as that changes over time but from research, it has seemed to favor bitcoin over time. Anyways, do you guys think I should just keep adding and stop at 20 or try and get more like 25 or 30? For reference purposes one bitcoin at today's price is about 1020 dollars it seems to be going up by at least 2% which would keep the money from being hurt by inflation.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

$30 per working day is more like $600/mo

Oh yeah I guess I forgot you wouldn't need it for the weekends :downs:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Volmarias posted:

$1200 is a steal for a good daycare in my part of the country. I don't think this guy realizes that there are mandated staff to child ratios.

That's twice what we'd pay for an infant. 1200 is nuts. 600 is on the high end here, most places are $175/wk. This is in a state with 1/5 staffing minimums, the places that charge 175 are 1/3, 1/5 averages about 75-100 or so a week.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

JohnGalt posted:

What professional school sets you back 280k? Like holy poo poo, even at part time, top law schools and MBA programs are half of that.

basically every single law school sets people back like that these days. there's no reason not to borrow as much as possible when you're gonna do paye!!!! since half his loans are private, his wife should stop working and take care of the two kids and he should just take the wage garnishments from all the loans. It'd be the cheapest route, but he needs to buy a house before his credit gets wrecked.

actually, can the system be gamed with garnishments for child support? the dude/his wife legally split and he eats a child support garnishment and the loan garnishments don't even touch him?

RE: Daycare, in major metros under $400/wk is a steal, and I've seen plenty of places over $500/wk. Enjoy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
$1200 was about what we paid 11 years ago. I have no idea what those prices are now. I think they get you to the breaking point and then your kid moves to the next class and you feel uncontrollable relief and gratitude to be only spending $800/month.

The best part was paying $1200 a month for a full year and then being required to pay a $150 enrollment fee to reserve our spot for the next year. Because the mortgage payment I'm giving you on the 1st of every month does nothing to keep my child's cot warm.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I met a second person (the first being my old roommate at age 28) who just realized that you can put money into a Roth IRA each year instead of 5.5k once. They are 32 years old and had their parents give them 5.5k as a college graduation present to start it 11 years ago.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I met a second person (the first being my old roommate at age 28) who just realized that you can put money into a Roth IRA each year instead of 5.5k once. They are 32 years old and had their parents give them 5.5k as a college graduation present to start it 11 years ago.

Having your poo poo together financially at 30 is a lot less lucrative than having your poo poo together financially at 20, but on the other hand it sure beats realizing you don't have your poo poo together at, like, 48?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
We pay 1530/month for my 5 month old. And 1210/month preschool for my 3 year old. I could spend less here in central VA, but not much less, and I could easily be spending a ton more. Its hosed, and also depressing. The daycare is great and does a full transparency report on their income, so I get to see exactly what my $18,360 per year pays for and they still can only pay the staff like 12/hour or so. Early childhood care and education is tough.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

What's a worse deal, a $30k Versa or a $50k Altima?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

AA is for Quitters posted:

That's twice what we'd pay for an infant. 1200 is nuts. 600 is on the high end here, most places are $175/wk. This is in a state with 1/5 staffing minimums, the places that charge 175 are 1/3, 1/5 averages about 75-100 or so a week.

How does this $600 daycare survive? That's $3000/mo revenue before employer taxes and overhead per staff. Are they paying their staff minimum wage? Anyways, 175/wk is $758/month so $600 seems low still for your area?

Getting a nanny can more economical nowadays if you have 2 or more children, we're currently looking into getting a nannyshare at our house.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Having your poo poo together financially at 30 is a lot less lucrative than having your poo poo together financially at 20, but on the other hand it sure beats realizing you don't have your poo poo together at, like, 48?

Also at least that 5.5k is probably worth well into the 5 figures now. I didn't have one penny saved for retirement until I was 29.5 :negative:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm gonna spoil the ending for y'all, the $600 daycare is in some shithole like Indiana. Thankfully this nation has many roads and you can escape shitholes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rurutia posted:

How does this $600 daycare survive? That's $3000/mo revenue before employer taxes and overhead per staff. Are they paying their staff minimum wage? Anyways, 175/wk is $758/month so $600 seems low still for your area?

Getting a nanny can more economical nowadays if you have 2 or more children, we're currently looking into getting a nannyshare at our house.

In my state, there's a required 4/1 ratio for infants so only $2400/mo. That would never fly, especially because the available hours are 12 hours a day.

Market priced daycare around me is $1200-1600/mo for infants, I'm pretty shocked at how cheap it seems to be in some of the areas you guys are discussing.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

We pay my mother in law's home cleaning bill, which comes out to a tidy $600 a month, and she watches our infant 10-12 hours a day and covers when my wife and I are both on call. Honestly, if you have family that doesn't work, ask them to please watch your baby.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you have responsible family who doesn't work. I wouldn't have let my mom care for my kid every day if she'd been paying me $2000/mo.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm gonna spoil the ending for y'all, the $600 daycare is in some shithole like Indiana. Thankfully this nation has many roads and you can escape shitholes.

It's probably in Des Moines

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Living in a place without government subsidized daycare is bad with money.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Living in Des Moines is GWM on several levels.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Living in a place without government subsidized daycare is bad with money.

I'd go one further and say living in a nation where the political class overtly favors private interests over public ones is BWM/BWL, but :capitalism:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

That's jastiger. :colbert:

I'm on the other side of Iowa.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I'm in North Liberty!

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

In my state, there's a required 4/1 ratio for infants so only $2400/mo. That would never fly, especially because the available hours are 12 hours a day.

Market priced daycare around me is $1200-1600/mo for infants, I'm pretty shocked at how cheap it seems to be in some of the areas you guys are discussing.

In Singapore you can own a human to do your childcare, cooking and cleaning for like $450/month. GWSlavery

e: US dollar is strong, that's only $320USD

Switchback fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 7, 2017

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Living in Des Moines is GWM on several levels.

Perfect example, but you gotta deal with the large underground homosexual population and what they're doing to the soil.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Proposition Castle posted:

my sister didn't work for religious reasons

What religious reasons would make it not OK to work but OK with $60k worth of usury? Also, until they started dropping state names I was sure this was somewhere with rainbow dollars.

Seems like a perfect time to call and demand they deliver the car to him or have it reported stolen, and sell it.

Edit : Jesus, I should refresh windows more often, talk about a late reply.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 7, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Can people explain what it means when they say someone 'garnishes' their loans?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Puts a sprig of parsley on it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

AA is for Quitters posted:

That's jastiger. :colbert:

I'm on the other side of Iowa.

Isn't Des Moines like in the middle? How are you on the other side from the middle :confused:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pureauthor posted:

When you screw up paying money you owe, whether it's loans or credit cards or child support or taxes, so badly that the law gets involved, a judge can order that your wages be "garnished," meaning your debtor gets a cut of every paycheck, frequently a big one. The money isn't the worst part though. Processing garnished wages is a huge hassle to your employer, so not only will your boss know about it, but you very well might get fired. It's kind of like being on a financial sex offender list.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

We talking about wages? Cause I got no clue how tf someone garnishes a loan.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

When you screw up paying money you owe, whether it's loans or credit cards or child support or taxes, so badly that the law gets involved, a judge can order that your wages be "garnished," meaning your debtor gets a cut of every paycheck, frequently a big one. The money isn't the worst part though. Processing garnished wages is a huge hassle to your employer, so not only will your boss know about it, but you very well might get fired. It's kind of like being on a financial sex offender list.

Also this is patently illegal in the US unless it's not the first garnishment. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but they'd be dumb to not hide it if that were the reason.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 7, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
OK, thanks for the explanation

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

Isn't Des Moines like in the middle? How are you on the other side from the middle :confused:

You know the joke about how your momma's so fat when she sits around the house she sits around the house? Imagine that, but with a whole state.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Processing garnished wages is a huge hassle to your employer

How is it any more hassle than splitting up direct deposit? I guess there must be some reporting requirements?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So companies can manage several different taxes and paying into different benefits just fine but if you have to add some court-appointed direct deposit account that just goes TOO FAR

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

So companies can manage several different taxes and paying into different benefits just fine but if you have to add some court-appointed direct deposit account that just goes TOO FAR

Maybe the business starts to wonder whether someone who is so far behind on their payments that someone needed to sue them and garnish their wages isn't the best person to put in charge of handling cash but I dunno that can't be it

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5s59cg/previous_employer_calling_all_new_employers_about/ posted:

My wife worked at a company and embezzled money (shame on her). That employer has continued to call all new employers to tell them about it which has made a negative impact and a neutral one for certain employment. She has been charged but has never been to court yet for it. Yes what she did was wrong and she knows how ignorant she was but she also made a mistake and will take the punishment but needs employment. No idea how the previous employer is finding out who she works for. Is there any legal standing to attempt to stop the previous employer from continuing this?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

How is it any more hassle than splitting up direct deposit? I guess there must be some reporting requirements?

The hassle basically amounts to "But we have to keep these notices we were sent by the court?!" as if having employees didn't already ensure a business would have to keep records and file paperwork. Every payroll and/or benefits employee I have encountered who thought their job was the most difficult thing in the world did not have what I thought was a difficult job. We all struggle at different things in life, I guess.

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe the business starts to wonder whether someone who is so far behind on their payments that someone needed to sue them and garnish their wages isn't the best person to put in charge of handling cash but I dunno that can't be it

Did you know that there are ways to earn a living where an employee does not handle money?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 7, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Did you know that there are ways to earn a living where an employee does not handle money?

Well yeah but obviously this only applies to those dumb fast food teenagers because people with real jobs don't ever get into financial trouble because they work hard :colbert:

(I know this isn't actually what anyone was implying I'm just being a little poo poo :v:)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

NancyPants posted:

There are some incredibly creative ways to defraud a company besides just handling cash. Some stuff I can't talk about for reasons but for instance, you can order stuff for your company (think anything - computer parts/software, supplies, whatever) and turn around and sell it on craigslist. Google "internal fraud", there's tons of it out there. There has even been espionage because some spook was in debt up to their eyeballs and insert-foreign-government-here offered them a bag of cash if they handed over some papers.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

pig slut lisa posted:

Accounting's not my field so I don't know the particulars, but for one thing there are still tons of businesses that don't use direct deposit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nail Rat posted:

Also at least that 5.5k is probably worth well into the 5 figures now. I didn't have one penny saved for retirement until I was 29.5 :negative:

Same :(:respek::(

My education loans for my specific career are substantial and I didn't start making adult money until I was 28. I spent some time being frivolous and enjoyed paying bills without sweating, but now I'm 30 and I've been planning serious action. Basically dump money into debt, double my old-Rolo contribution and live cheaper. Good news is I can leave my expensive apartment in the overpriced city I live in and find a house more in the cut for a third the cost and start this transition immediately.

• Locked thread