Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm skimming the new fluff and how Cadia's destroyed and whatnot. Why are a puritan inquisitor, an arch-magos and a sister of battle just totally cool with hanging out with some shifty xeno carnies? What what are they doing that's so important they'd go with the eldar to who knows where instead of just fighting Chaos till they die?

Waking up Guilliman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I know there is a lot of hate and controversy around the new Girlyman model, but I think a lot of people are missing that this is designed with the new narrative in mind.

People compare these two models in a vacuum because they see them both as Guilliman but there are real differences that need to be seen. (Besides resin/plastic, painter skill, lighting/angle).

The 30k primarch is his form that we all remember him as. He is the embodiment of the "codex Astartes". He is wearing his normal armor which was built for him thousands of years ago.

The 40k primarch is very different because the fluff is very different. Not only was he hosed up and in stasis for a long time, but his demeanor and equipment is different. He is trying to cope with the entire imperium looking like a funhouse mirror of itself when he first went in. Guilliman is like fry coming out of the tube and being introduced to the probulator and the suicide booths right now.
Designwise this new primarch has his gear made from Belisarius Cawl. This is a big deal as far as the model design and how we should expect to see him.

Instead of comparing the 30k with the 40k version try and compare the primarch with a Mechanicum design.

A lot of the smaller design elements are taken from Mechanicum design, which makes sense because of, well, who designed it.

Can you be mad that the modern Mechanicum and Cawl are designing his armor and life support system? Sure, maybe the story could have gone a different way to let him use his older armor because it was saved by loving ultras for years or something... But this is the story now and this is why it looks this way.

I think most 40k people agree they enjoy the universe the most out of the entire hobby. It can be hard to get used to new story shaking things up for people. Most entry-level to mid tier 40k nerds don't have the deep knowledge of every book and the story, so we get bullet points and summaries from our buddies who got us into the game. This shaped our view of the game and what makes it cool to us.

So while his armor looks jarring to see now it makes sense in the fluff, if that makes sense. Eventually as the story gets older and more ingrained into the lore of the hobby (if it all does not implode), people would expect Guilliman to look this way.

Imagine if they updated the Lucius the eternal model but made him look like he was in 30k

People would be upset because that would not match the current fluff of the model. He is supposed to look all crazy with cuts all over his face and he should have a weird whip thing etc...
That fluff is well in our heads so it seems obvious, but this new story is, new. So it might take some getting used to. Having our world change is fast dramatic ways is quite he jarring thing.

Ok, I'm done effort posting. I know I am an overly positive guy and I love the idea of moving the story ahead, and others don't. But hopefully if you see that aspect of the design it would be less of a problem for you.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brought to you by WhiteOutMouse.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Has that guy got a snake arm

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Interesting point about the joints and breastplate inspiration aside, I still don't like the aesthetic.

I also still don't like the hugeness of the model. If they are arguing that his time in stasis has changed him then I'm not sure his dogmatic kids would be too keen on their daddy coming out warped.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 5, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm more interested in knowing if this is actually an official model for 30k. I love Lucius.

Girlyman still looks like poo poo.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

I'm more interested in knowing if this is actually an official model for 30k. I love Lucius.
Nup.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ugleb posted:

Interesting point about the joints and breastplate inspiration aside, I still don't like the aesthetic.

Maybe it was just sculpted by the same dude and that's all he knows how to do.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Maybe it was just sculpted by the same dude and that's all he knows how to do.

When life hands you lemons, reuse autocad assets when making your primarch.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I dunno who this Belisarius Cawl dude is but it was kind of mean for him to shrink Guilliman's head down at least two sizes

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

JerryLee posted:

I dunno who this Belisarius Cawl dude is but it was kind of mean for him to shrink Guilliman's head down at least two sizes

obviously he was a witch doctor :rolleye:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I guess this means Robutt Guillimon is a Greater Demon of the Ultramoos, he's big enough to be one.
This is, however not nearly the worst big character model GW has made, remember old Nagash?
https://eternalhunt.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/undead-end-times-release-4.jpg

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
When "it's not worse than Nagash" is a defence of a mini, you've lost.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I kind of want an old Nahash as a desktop decoration because I love the story behind why it was made to look like that

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
As terrible as the old Nagash is, it's charming in a bad 90s model way. It's also not over-designed or covered in swirly bits. I bet I could actually paint it to a decent standard.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Moola posted:

I kind of want an old Nahash as a desktop decoration because I love the story behind why it was made to look like that

What is said story?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

albany academy posted:

What is said story?

Apparently the sculptor made several different heads for Nagash, but each were rejected. He got annoyed and made the stupidest looking head he could make and to his surprise and chagrin, it was accepted.

I think that's the story, anyway

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

albany academy posted:

What is said story?

I don't remember it in its totality, but apparently GW kept micromanaging the sculptor, so finally he just made it as lovely as possible without giving the game away, but then they accepted that iteration?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

albany academy posted:

What is said story?

Guy had sculpted a head or two, execs didn't like what he showed them, his deadline was coming up, so he sculpted the stupidest head he could hoping they'd push back the deadline. Instead they loved it and that's the model that hit the market.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The story was confirmed as 100% true by goon Helen Highwater, who worked in GWHQ at the time

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Dreadwroth posted:

I guess this means Robutt Guillimon is a Greater Demon of the Ultramoos, he's big enough to be one.
This is, however not nearly the worst big character model GW has made, remember old Nagash?
https://eternalhunt.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/undead-end-times-release-4.jpg
Old Nagash owns though.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

^^^ IIRC, the Emperor is supposed to be around from the dawn of civilization, because the threat of the warp emerged when people stopped basically living as nomadic hunter/gatherers and started getting time to think up inventive ways to gently caress stuff/murder people/scheme, so his arrival is basically at the dawn of 'history'.

Making the Primarchs big monster dudes is also kind of lame because I thought narratively that was the point of the ones that turned to Chaos and became Daemon Princes. Daemon Magnus is a huge fuckoff dude, but it's because he explicitly abandoned his humanity to pursue his own aggrandizement and it's reflected literally in his enormous, monstrous form. Whereas the Primarchs that didn't turn and remained loyal to humanity retained their essentially human stature. I also thought that was the point of the loyal primarchs being dead/lost, because choosing humanity also meant accepting mortal limits and, ultimately, to die as a man. The primarchs who turn may gain immortality, but it came at the price of their own identity, so they remain in the story but only as puppets and tools of the Chaos powers, not as free individuals. It was also what made Abaddon remotely interesting, because he was someone with the power and stature to have taken that deal, but he refused it because he wanted to retain his independence to pursue his own goals.

But I guess now the primarchs are all back and huge rad dudes and that's supposed to be awesome because we can mash them against the chaos ones in the middle of the board.

This right here is the prime example of an awesome idea/interpretation, and shows just how massively GW misses the point on a regular basis.
But of course, we already knew that.

That aside, I'd say the models had potential, but they're too covered in garbage and wierd ideas to really work.

Cypher needs that stupid shoulder plate removing outright - and why does an otherwise normal astartes have to have a super special backpack so he can carry the Lion sword? Not to mention how silly the "updated" bolt pistol is - he doesn't even have enough ammo on that thing to reliably do the exact thing he/it is constructed to do (i.e. murder dudes by the ton). Yes he doesn't look like a matrix reject any more, but on the other hand, why did the guns/armour need updating - couldn't he have scavenged replacement armour down the centuries from the corpses of his brother marines? How is this a difficult concept? And the model can be painted any way you please, so why do people need to complain about this at all? (Oh wait, nerds, that's why).

RE: guilliman, yeah he's too big, the armour is wierdly proportioned, and what was the mechanicus guy thinking? Also, bad head, badly sculpted, helmet looks vaguely better, but makes it look like he has an even smaller head (pinhead guilliman), and why does he need such ornate armour - was he forced into keeping it so he could shut up the idiots preaching at him?

The GK is kinda forgettable, really. He doesn't look too offensively bad or messed up compared to the other two. In fact I might go as far as to say the GK is vaguely okay. In comparison to other GKs anyway. I mean, it's not as if he's a baby carrier. But, well, low bar.

E: holy gently caress, saw a picture comparing Guilliman's head to a picture of Joffrey from Game of Thrones, and now I can't un-see it. Guilliman is Joffrey. gently caress.

EDIT2:
Here is a picture of FW guilliman, but with a not poo poo head.

Instead of looking static and crappy, this guy clearly knows what's up, and has modelled him looking as if he's about to straight gently caress some poor bastard right the hell up.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 6, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That new Roboute Guilliman looks like a knockoff model that Scibor would put out.

Except somehow still not as good

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i'm the spiky cardboard fire.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meanwhile, in the Old World...

quote:

Bretonnia will be free and available for everyone on 28th February 2017 - which is also the release date for the Old World Edition.

It's time to get Fay-ly hyped about it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Play in what were are realizing but don't want to admit is a far better setting than the reality balls nightmare we destroyed it for and need that for licencing out to video games, but don't expect any actual real support ever."

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

lol they're putting Brettonians into Total Warhammer

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

They've been in it from the beginning, just with a reduced roster and no single player campaign.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is Creative Assembly still sticking to their "this will be a trilogy of games" thing or are they just gonna lump everything into this one as overpriced DLC?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Who says they won't try doing it both ways at the same time?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Total War: Warhammer is a gift game on the humble monthly thing this month

Pay $12 a month 1, 3, 6, or 12 months at a time and you get a bundle of "$100 of curated games", plus right now

While you wait for the rest of the bundle, start playing right away!
When you subscribe, you'll immediately receive a copy of Total War™: WARHAMMER®

Subscribe before March 3 to receive the next bundle and immediately get a copy of Total War™: WARHAMMER®!

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

Good way to get it if you haven't already

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
To derail slightly, Humble monthly gives you six steam keys a month for $12, you can unsub at any time and keep the games permanently?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ugleb posted:

To derail slightly, Humble monthly gives you six steam keys a month for $12, you can unsub at any time and keep the games permanently?

once you have the keys they're yours

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Correct. Although the 'over $100' is a little bit of a stretch since it's based on RRP and you can get most of the games dirt cheap when a Steam sale rolls around. That and if you don't care about mid-range or budget indie titles it won't be for you (or if you do care you might already have some of them).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Today I found a hurt bunny that someone left in a shoebox:

It's too late to take it to the wildlife center so he's sitting in a dark, quiet corner of my apartment for the night. I know it's not a(n) (o)possum, but goddammit it's close enough.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:ohdear:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

darnon posted:

Correct. Although the 'over $100' is a little bit of a stretch since it's based on RRP and you can get most of the games dirt cheap when a Steam sale rolls around. That and if you don't care about mid-range or budget indie titles it won't be for you (or if you do care you might already have some of them).

Yeah I got it because $12 is fine for a total war game but I'm gonna assume the bundle will be worth 0 to me and be pleased if it turns out to be worth >0

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Avenging Dentist posted:

Today I found a hurt bunny that someone left in a shoebox:

It's too late to take it to the wildlife center so he's sitting in a dark, quiet corner of my apartment for the night. I know it's not a(n) (o)possum, but goddammit it's close enough.

We will be needing updates on this.

May our Lord Robut Gullibleman The Returning Saint be with him.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

We will be needing updates on this.

May our Lord Robut Gullibleman The Returning Saint be with him.

We're letting Joffrey look after a bunny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mcjomar posted:

We're letting Joffrey look after a bunny?

To me his face looks like an angry grandma more than Joffrey, but I can see it.

• Locked thread