Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Dark souls litteraly has mimic chests that instakill and that's lauded as being the best at game design. Things that punish the player for not paying attention aren't valueless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
That's a rather apples-to-oranges comparison, especially considering Dark Souls lets you save progress and (ironically enough) has less severe penalties for death.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

Dark souls litteraly has mimic chests that instakill and that's lauded as being the best at game design. Things that punish the player for not paying attention aren't valueless.

I want to frame this post and put it on my wall so that I may look at it whenever I need a laugh :allears:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Health as a resource mechanics are fine. The fact that they added a dumb challenge character who can't take damage doesn't change that (also can't The Lost open those chests for free anyway?).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Actually dark souls is far more punishing as you have to tediously work your way back to where you died to recover your progress. BOI is designed to be almost infinitely replayable it doesn't have that problem at all.

Your Computer posted:

I want to frame this post and put it on my wall so that I may look at it whenever I need a laugh :allears:
Dark souls is the videogame equivalent of a haunted house attraction where people dressed as skeletons hide around corners and jump out at you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mr Phillby posted:

Actually dark souls is far more punishing as you have to tediously work your way back to where you died to recover your progress. BOI is designed to be almost infinitely replayable it doesn't have that problem at all.

Dark souls is the videogame equivalent of a haunted house attraction where people dressed as skeletons hide around corners and jump out at you.

:yikes:

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Honestly if they just made mimic chests into how they behave in dark souls where its kind of hard to tell if ones a mimic but attacking it causes it to act like an enemy until you kill it and then you just get the contents of the chest thatd be a huge improvement over the current system.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You know what sucked? The chalice dungeons in Bloodborne.
You know what else would've sucked? If the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne had mimics that just damaged you instead of fighting and didn't drop anything for your troubles.

...Wait poo poo now I can't stop imagining a fully-fledged Souls roguelike that uses Binding of Isaac-style mechanics, someone stop me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
for that to work there's have to be some downside to just attacking every chest, like shoot a non-trap chest too much and it breaks and you don't get the contents.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

for that to work there's have to be some downside to just attacking every chest, like shoot a non-trap chest too much and it breaks and you don't get the contents.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mr Phillby posted:

Kinda doesn't work in BoI because a lot of times you get chests and enemies in the same screen and it's hard to always aim your shots true. I mean, you could do that, it would just be a pain...so I guess expect Ed to add that to the game in a couple of weeks?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr Phillby posted:

Dark souls is a slow-paced game about being careful and observing your environment, where a subtly different mimic makes sense. BoI is much more fast-paced by comparison; you get rewarded for beating mom quickly, for example. A subtle mimic trap that requires taking things slower/more methodical is completely at odds with everything else. There isn't just a nebulous "good design" that means you can slap a mechanic in any game and it'll work great; it depends on what's appropriate for how the game plays.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I was going to say, Gungeon mimic chests are the only mimic chest mechanic that I consider a net positive.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If the chests turned into a monster that didn't immediately damage you that would be neat.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pigbuster posted:

Dark souls is a slow-paced game about being careful and observing your environment, where a subtly different mimic makes sense. BoI is much more fast-paced by comparison; you get rewarded for beating mom quickly, for example. A subtle mimic trap that requires taking things slower/more methodical is completely at odds with everything else. There isn't just a nebulous "good design" that means you can slap a mechanic in any game and it'll work great; it depends on what's appropriate for how the game plays.
Yeah I'm being a little facetious chatting poo poo about dark souls (which is a series that I personally think has some some pretty glaring game design issues , but that's really besides the point) , my point is just that just because you find something annoying and you hate it doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the game. Like an instakill mimic chest is an awful. awful thing to put into a game and nobody in their right mind thinks 'oh great, I got eaten to death with no real warning' the first time they come across one. However the fear and trepidation of these mimics really adds to the appeal of the game because it feeds into the careful methodical pace of your exploration, and heightens your fear of an already hostile gameworld.

By design BOI is full of things that are annoying and vexing, like when you open a chest a gigantic homing bomb may spawn, or a smaller locked chest may pop out. The fun is in reacting to and even turning these these little gently caress yous to your advantage. The trap chest feels to me like an alternate version of the spike chest, like the big troll bomb to the regular troll bomb. It fits perfectly well into the game's design and though it may trip you up a few times but you'll very quickly be able to spot them. you don't need approach regular chests carefully or slow down your playstyle because of them, you just need to know they exist and weigh up whether the health cost is worth the potential reward when you encounter them.

Basically yeah nobody likes them but they're fine and should exist because they add to the game even in a small way.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

Like an instakill mimic chest is an awful. awful thing to put into a game and nobody in their right mind thinks 'oh great, I got eaten to death with no real warning'

The mimics in Dark Souls aren't instakill and there's plenty of warning though :eng99:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mimics in souls games are:

A different color.
Breath if you stare at them.
The chain on side of it is in a completely different position than normal chests.

You have plenty of warning.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_mMABJxdps
Yeah sure you can tell if you know what to look for and maybe if you've got the health and defense you can survive the bite attack but for most players this is how they're introduced to the chest mimic. It will kill every new player by design.

I'm not even saying that's a bad design, it's just one that serves the tone of the game more than the enjoyment of the one playing. You will not enjoy this encounter is all I am saying.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls mimics embody the type of game design that the series is famous for; if you rush in head first then you're gonna get chomped. If you take a second and approach carefully you will be fine. Caution and awareness are by far the most precious tools you can bring to the game, and the game will award you for it.

This makes the game completely, completely different from BoI and comparing the two makes literally no sense.

Also I never got eaten by a single mimic in any Dark Souls game and I played them all blind

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also if you play online the mimic has like a thousand signs around it.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Your Computer posted:

I'm not sure if you were aware, but there is a piece of technology called a printer that will allow you to do just that! :science:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Got my first 1% chance direct teleport to The Void after beating Mom's Foot today. I was definitely underpowered even though I had 22 items.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Today's daily seems relatively easy. I managed to reroll a couple item rooms into Epic Fetus and Pyromaniac, so I was able to just bomb myself for health when I took too much damage.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mr Phillby posted:

Actually dark souls is far more punishing as you have to tediously work your way back to where you died to recover your progress.

What the gently caress is this argument, you literally have to start Isaac over from the beginning when you die

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Can I just say how much I loving hate that stupid insta-teleport to the void? I had a really fun relaxing casual run and was about to go full OP after mom and got taken directly to the void, do not get last guppy piece and gently caress off

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alteisen posted:

Mimics in souls games are:

A different color.
Breath if you stare at them.
The chain on side of it is in a completely different position than normal chests.

You have plenty of warning.

also the very first one is placed in an awkward position that chests aren't normally ever placed in and seeing it immediately arouses suspicion.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm glad you're all so cool and good at games and never once died to a cheap rear end mimic chest. That make them a cool and good thing for the player to encounter. This doesn't make them inherently bad! Things that trick or punish the player for not paying attention can exist in a game without making it automatically worse. That is the one point I'm trying to make here.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What the gently caress is this argument, you literally have to start Isaac over from the beginning when you die
The game is literally designed around dying and restarting tho. That's the game. If dying to Mom then having to get back to the depths 2 was a tedious unfun thing people wouldn't have hundreds of hours playing it.

Dark Souls has you trek back to your death point, carefully because if you die before you get back you lose all your unspent souls. I cannot believe 'Dark Souls punishes death harshly' is generating such ire. It is miserable. It is miserable on purpose and thats a big part of why people enjoy the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like this is more of a personal tirade against Dark Souls than having anything to do with The Binding of Isaac :confused:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Your Computer posted:

I feel like this is more of a personal tirade against Dark Souls than having anything to do with The Binding of Isaac :confused:

same

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Who here is dumb enough to get this on the Switch?
Not me. I considered it but there is nothing more to gain after getting 100% a couple times.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Who here is dumb enough to get this on the Switch?
Not me. I considered it but there is nothing more to gain after getting 100% a couple times.

Maybe we'll be able to get Antibirth on the Switch :madmax:

But yeah, I've 100%'ed this game too many times already and the console ports so far have been beyond atrocious. The 3DS version still has bugs that not only crash the game but the 3DS system itself. It's literally the only game I've seen capable of doing that, that's how bad the port is. Even if the Switch port runs more smoothly the devs have clearly shown how much they care about console ports, so even if I really want portable BoI to be a thing I just don't see the Switch version being any better.

Fistrockbone
Nov 30, 2006

flyboi posted:

Can I just say how much I loving hate that stupid insta-teleport to the void? I had a really fun relaxing casual run and was about to go full OP after mom and got taken directly to the void, do not get last guppy piece and gently caress off

I've had success with alt+F4ing during the teleport/loading. It puts you back in Mom's room, though you'll lose out on any angel/devil rooms.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i patched

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Got 5 Nights at Mom's with the final run being the absolute worst Lazarus run I ever had, but found a joker card which had a megablast for 1 heart.

All I need now is The Marathon, then Dedication. This games puts a toll on me. :(

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
There was an update. No official notes as of yet, but the most notable change seems to be that Big Horn's damage scaling was removed.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

According to the wiki:

-Big Horn no longer has damage scaling (armor). If you stun him with a bomb, he still takes 20% more damage.
-Fixed the bug with The Ludovico Technique and Explosivo synergy where it wouldn't properly explode on enemies.
-Satanic Bible now correctly contributes towards the Bookworm transformation.
-The Dead Eye multiplier now properly increments on poop and TNT barrels.
-Fixed the bug where if you saved and quit with the Duct Tape trinket, orbitals would not return to their proper position.
-Fixed the bug where if you save, quit, and continue in the middle of clearing a Challenge Room, the game would crash and/or the save file would get corrupted.
-Fixed the bug where on the Delirium fight, Gate would always spawns outside of the room.

Glad I didn't run into that one :stare:

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
After the update today is anyone else's Isaac running like garbage?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So uh yeah... I really broke the game tonight on a rerun

I had almost every good item in the game by the end of it. I think god head was the only thing I was really missing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Finally got a Greedier Mode victory. Admittedly it was as Lilith, the character that already breaks Greed Mode.

Battery Baby dropping batteries + triple shot ipecac + Daddy Long Legs + Auto-turret baby + a cube of meat gets ridiculous. Still barely finished it, but that was as much due to me exploding myself as anything else.

Also, glad to hear that Big Hole doesn't have loving armor anymore. That was the one thing I really hated about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Greedier Mode really isn't that bad once you get a feel for it. I've already cleared it on every character. You just have to buy the really meaningful items like stat-ups, and Greedier himself has poor long-range capabilities so you just go around the room clockwise every time he jumps.