Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baronash posted:

You don't have to look much farther than the 4K/120fps/3D disaster of cinematography that was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk to see that Ang Lee is perfectly capable of making dumb decisions.

There's a difference between a dumb decision and a mistake. And making the Hulk, a comic book character/rage monster a really vibrant green is neither.

Phanatic posted:

If you know even a tiny bit of Civil War history you know that General Pickett was a Confederate general who is best known for commanding a division in an infantry assault that had the poo poo blown out of it by Union artillery.

And highly accurate, rifled small arms, rather than muskets that were only dangerous at 50 yards.

Also, it worked because they were charging downhill, which gives +3 to all your melee stats.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Gettysburg II: the Ghost Dimension?

Gettysburgs: the Legend of Booth's Gold

Gods and Generals

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

World War Z 2 and the new Friday the 13th reboot have lost their release dates. WWZ2 was supposed to be in June and the F13th reboot was October.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope the rumors are true and WWZ2 gets David Fincher to direct.

Right now I am having puberty flashbacks.
https://twitter.com/AliciaVikanderD/status/828650723797766144

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I would be overjoyed if there's never another zombie movie or series or w/e ever again.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I hope they reboot the popular and billion dollar making film series Resident Evil

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I hope they reboot the popular and billion dollar making film series Resident Evil

Capcom Cinematic Universe.

Resident Evil
Dino Crisis
Monster Hunter
MegaMan

And then...

Marvel vs Capcom.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

need a tie in with the street fighter cinematic universe incl such great classics as Street Fighter and Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Konami had a game that had King Kong and Mikey from the Goonies together so anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Except getting that game released in the US as is, when it got released as a mobile game they were both switched out for other characters due to rights issues.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

World War Z 2 and the new Friday the 13th reboot have lost their release dates. WWZ2 was supposed to be in June and the F13th reboot was October.

Dang you're quick.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would be overjoyed if there's never another zombie movie or series or w/e ever again.

It does seem like the zombie craze is on its way out, the lesser vampire craze having pre(re)deceased it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just in time for the Groundhog Day repeating craze. That was good and Edge of Tomorrow was good. This new one looks not good.

Next they'll have a repeating day vampire movie. Sure you gain immortality but it's just the same day.

Speaking of trends, it was kind of fun seeing Lady Gaga dressed like Beyond Thunderdome and I really like Stranger Things but I've just about had enough of the 80s poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Actually they updated the news and the Friday the 13th reboot got completely canned.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Well it's not like the lawsuit is going to be over with any time soon. They can't do anything until that is cleared up - although I wonder how the video game has managed to slip by all the legal fallout so far. I'm guessing it must have already been in development prior to the filing?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kiimo posted:

Next they'll have a repeating day vampire movie. Sure you gain immortality but it's just the same day.

Well, that's kind of Edge of Tomorrow, just without using fangs to get the blood.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The MSJ posted:

She looks good but I wanted Daisy Ridley. Hoping it all works out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Cameo posted:

Well it's not like the lawsuit is going to be over with any time soon. They can't do anything until that is cleared up - although I wonder how the video game has managed to slip by all the legal fallout so far. I'm guessing it must have already been in development prior to the filing?

I don't think I've heard anything about a lawsuit?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Chairman Capone posted:

It does seem like the zombie craze is on its way out, the lesser vampire craze having pre(re)deceased it.

If I remember correctly, traditional wisdom is that when Democrats are in charge, people are afraid of hordes of filthy Poors taking over everything. When Republicans are in charge the zeitgeist changes to cold, omnipotent, bloodsucking Aristos.

Len posted:

Dino Crisis

I've never actually played this, but it always looked/sounded like a good time. What I'd really like is another dinosaur movie that treats them like animals instead of monsters.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The MSJ posted:

Haha REALLY? Is Tomb Raider even a thing anymore?

Well I liked her in Ex Machina and the Man from UNCLE.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Rough Lobster posted:

They rebooted the games
You don't raid tombs and many horrible painful things happen to Lara graphically but a lot of people actually like it, ymmv

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

The most recent game was released a year ago and it was pretty good.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They rebooted the games
You don't raid tombs and many horrible painful things happen to Lara graphically but a lot of people actually like it, ymmv

The second reboot game had more tomb raiding, but I must say the most fun part to me was stalking and stealth-killing all the bad guys with arrows.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it's like the first Rambo movie, but with Lara.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't really want to play long games right now but I want to play it eventually because it has one of my favorite features from the Arkham games: loving around and eavesdropping henchmen

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Beachcomber posted:

I've never actually played this, but it always looked/sounded like a good time. What I'd really like is another dinosaur movie that treats them like animals instead of monsters.

It's been a long time but iirc Dino Crisis is Resident Evil with dinosaurs.

Edit yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp2qPlHNgCs

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 7, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't really want to play long games right now but I want to play it eventually because it has one of my favorite features from the Arkham games: loving around and eavesdropping henchmen

You can play through Tomb Raider in a weekend and if you love eavesdropping and clowning on thugs it's a great game for that.

"SHE'S GOT A GRENADE LAUNCHER!!! :supaburn:"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edit: Beaten like anyone who kidnaps Col. Trautman

The MSJ posted:

The second reboot game had more tomb raiding, but I must say the most fun part to me was stalking and stealth-killing all the bad guys with arrows.

Caves, stalking, and silently killing dudes with arrows?

Alicia VIkander IS Lara Croft in...

Rambo III

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The MSJ posted:

I only played the first reboot, but it was incredibly satisfying to go from injured desperate Lara to a loving Fury tearing dudes' faces off with a shotgun while his buddies scream and run for their lives at the sight of you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Byzantine posted:

I only played the first reboot, but it was incredibly satisfying to go from injured desperate Lara to a loving Fury tearing dudes' faces off with a shotgun while his buddies scream and run for their lives at the sight of you.

After the game homages First Blood early on with her using a torch to navigate that flooded cave, when you get the flame arrows towards the end it is like so awesome. Just lighting dudes up all over the place.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The controls aren't a complete disaster and the story is actually well written. Lara behaves a lot more like an actual human than some guy's wank material.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I don't think I've heard anything about a lawsuit?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/friday-13th-rights-at-stake-922911

In short both the original screenwriter and the original production company are claiming to have ownership rights over the IP - Miller says that his contract never stated that he wrote the screenplay as a work-for-hire and is trying to use a loophole involving that to lay claim to the franchise as a whole as his. Horror Inc (who were Georgetown Productions back in 1979) are saying that because he wrote the screenplay under the direct supervision and guidance of Sean Cunningham, that the work was more than obviously a for-hire gig and that the original copyright of the film states them as legally the "authors" of the film.

Either way Paramount can't do poo poo about making a new movie until this is cleared up and is why they kept pushing back the movie to later and later Friday, __/13 dates until now, where they've just canned doing a movie until the lawsuit is over.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

If I remember correctly, traditional wisdom is that when Democrats are in charge, people are afraid of hordes of filthy Poors taking over everything. When Republicans are in charge the zeitgeist changes to cold, omnipotent, bloodsucking Aristos.

Except the zombie craze started during Bush with 28 Days Later and the Snyder-Gunn Dawn Of The Dead remake. There was a lot of terrorism undercurrent at the beginning of the zombie craze.

But I think you're sort of right. There's going to be a lot more dystopian or "occupation" movies thanks to the Trump administration.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Young Freud posted:

Except the zombie craze started during Bush with 28 Days Later and the Snyder-Gunn Dawn Of The Dead remake. There was a lot of terrorism undercurrent at the beginning of the zombie craze.
Walking Dead the comic version also dates to about that time.

Walking Dead the TV show, however, is basically a chapter point at the turn of zombie media into a doomsday prepper's libertarian power trip.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A bunch of stuff came out around that time, Resident Evil 4 dropped on January 2005 and was already super hyped up among anyone into video games and this was after the very successful (I know its sales weren't incredible but reputation wise even then people know it was the poo poo) the remake of the original Resident Evil came out in 2003. If you were into pen and paper games All Flesh Must Be Eaten originally came out in 1999 but in 2003/04 got a strong online presence and a lot of new material/edition released. There was a series of "EXTREME ZOMBIES" merchandise like for elementary school kids in like 2003. Basically between 2003 to 2005 each facet of media and nerd stuff got a high quality zombie product or two paving the way for The Walking Dead TV series that would insure the dead would walk among us forever.

Fun trivia, despite the massive massive hype for Resident Evil 4 coming out throughout all of 2004 and the Dawn of the Dead remake being awesome, there were a few major video games that were cancelled solely on the reasoning of the publisher deciding "We don't think zombies will sell in the 2004-2005 holiday season." Whoops!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 7, 2017

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Baronash posted:

You don't have to look much farther than the 4K/120fps/3D disaster of cinematography that was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk to see that Ang Lee is perfectly capable of making dumb decisions.

I've seen it in 120hz 3D and it was p good. Better than it would have been at 24, so it worked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's a weird concept that Republican President leads to better action flicks that I don't think holds up. Yes, the 80's had a ton of great flicks, but so did the 90's, and aside from the first Matrix I have a hard time remembering truly excellent action flicks from the Bush years, whereas Obama got us John Wick, Fury Road and the three best Fast and Furious movies, also 2 good Rocky movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Raid: Redemption, Dredd, and Mad Max: Fury Road were all delivered under the Obama administration so I can't believe anyone would say that with a straight face.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Neo Rasa posted:

The Raid: Redemption, Dredd, and Mad Max: Fury Road were all delivered under the Obama administration so I can't believe anyone would say that with a straight face.

I may be revealing my age, but it's mostly an argument I remember from the early days of the Bush presidency.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh yeah I should have said today. I've had talks like that with people too back in the day, it always ended up being because they're racist. Not KKK wake up in the morning angry that non-white people are live racist, but kind of racist. It would happen because in the late 80s and through the early 90s with the Cold War over and crime decreasing you started to see less minorities and Middle Eastern terrorist hordes as the bad guys and more angry white guys, the US military, white supremacist groups, etc. domestic threats and traitors within as the bad guys. And it was common on every type of action movie from the bottom of the barrel stuff like Stone Cold where the villains are literally the Aryan Brotherhood to direct to video stuff like Best of the Best 3, and of course bigger budget stuff like the Under Siege movies, The Rock, etc. People would have this built in "why are these people bad" reaction that in retrospect was pretty gross. Like Best of the Best, the series where Eric Roberts and Dan Rhee perform 10,000 training montages to fight in a Tae Kwan Do tournament in Korea has a sequel where they gotta stop white supremacists from burning black churches in the South. People would be offended that white people were being portrayed as bad.

I think this is what cause the extreme mental breakdown to where MRAs/etc. scumbag groups started using the term red pilling to mean waking people up to how women/minorities are evil and young white guys are just the raddest, because you would need to be completely over the rainbow with dumbassness to get to the point where you use a reference to a movie directed by two trans women about a black guy and a woman waking a bland corporate dude up to the concept of systemic oppression as your cultural touchstone.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Casimir Radon posted:

The controls aren't a complete disaster and the story is actually well written. Lara behaves a lot more like an actual human than some guy's wank material.

Yeah the two reboot games are pretty good and Lara for the most part dress normal. The movie is looking more like the previous movies through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd say the 80s had good action movies because of consumerism, the Cold War, and the fear of nuclear weapons before I'd attribute them to Reagan.

• Locked thread