Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

He grew up poor and has earned everything he has (did six years in the military and that's how he pays for school, always had jobs etc)

"kids need to work hard, like i did, when i was born a man with enough physical strength and good enough health to be recruited into a taxpayer-funded jobs program"

the us military recruits maybe 100k people a year. even if we assume they're only recruiting fresh high school grads and not people from age 18-25+, there are 3.5 million high school grads every year. it's not realistic to expect your children to join the military to secure education and health care for themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
It was a few pages ago, but MMO healer girlfriend should know kyrie eleison means Lord, have mercy. It's a phrase included in some of the oldest Christian liturgy in latin. If you're going to obsess, at least do a drat google search.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

boner confessor posted:

"kids need to work hard, like i did, when i was born a man with enough physical strength and good enough health to be recruited into a taxpayer-funded jobs program"

the us military recruits maybe 100k people a year. even if we assume they're only recruiting fresh high school grads and not people from age 18-25+, there are 3.5 million high school grads every year. it's not realistic to expect your children to join the military to secure education and health care for themselves

As a vet I think everyone should be entitled to every benefit I have and maybe just up the vet benefits to pay for grad school and give me like one free plastic surgery!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grem posted:

As a vet I think everyone should be entitled to every benefit I have and maybe just up the vet benefits to pay for grad school and give me like one free plastic surgery!

like heartworm medication and an ear docking?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno i'm kinda mixed on that, my mom raised me that way (out of necessity, single mom) and while it did give me a lovely libertarian viewpoint in high school that I eventually got over, it also really made me appreciate what I had. I feel like people in college paying their own way tend to take it more seriously and do a better job building up their resume cause they get jobs through their department. I knew a lot of people who were at college sorta cause it was just what was expected of them and it was paid for but they sorta just phoned it in for 4 years and then came out without anything to show for it.

e: otoh it's harder if the parents can pay for it cause then the access to aid at school is gonna be limited. In a way I was lucky my family was low income because it both meant that I had a real appreciation for the cost of my education but i also wasn't saddled with any debt, just had to maintain a high gpa.

i kinda wish someone around 18 had either funded my college education or made me get a job that wasn't landscaping/bookstore inventory so I had some clue going in what a life-altering waste of time and money a lit degree was

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 7, 2017

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I'm [20F] studying abroad and miserable
submitted 8 hours ago by baguettebaguettebagu to /r/relationships

quote:

Last month I arrived in France from the US for a semester abroad, something I've dreamed of doing for almost 7 years. I picked my university based on its "great" study abroad programs. The one problem: I hate it.
My hosts are cold and very strict. I'm not sure why they even wanted to host an international student when they don't even seem to want to spend any time with me other than our designated three dinners a week. They are the exact opposite of what I requested during the matching process.

The classes at the local university are just overwhelming. 1.5-2.5 hours of straight lecture in a language I'm not fluent in is exhausting. I couldn't even get my classes settled until a couple weeks past the add-drop deadline because my program coordinator kept changing how many credits each class was worth which has just been maddening. So now I've missed classes, putting me even further behind.
I've tried striking up conversations with French students but I've been brushed off every time. I can't even sit next to a French student without them shooting me nasty looks. The one French friend I have been able to make seems to just view me as a novelty. The only time French people seem interested in talking to me is to make a Trump joke or when men occasionally harass me on the streets.
Every day I just come home tired, angry, embarrassed, and stressed about the fact that I can't understand/express myself properly. I used to love the language and culture and now I can't stand it. It's just a constant source of stress for me. I hate being here, but the news from back home makes me dread going back. I just feel stuck.

This really isn't how I wanted to spend my semester abroad. How do I turn my attitude around and make this time what I wanted it to be? Thanks for any advice you have.
tl;dr: Hate studying abroad in France. Need an attitude adjustment. Aidez-moi.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Yeah I never understood why vets get so much respect, I mean animals are cool and all, but its a little nuts. Do you really need a whole day just for veterinarians?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Tolkien minority posted:

This is basically what studying and living in France is like for the first few months. Oh man, I actually feel for this girl enough to find this on reddit and give her some advice.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Pick posted:

Just being able to kill really sick people or people that others are tired of, really.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tolkien minority posted:

help reddit I went to the country famous for its snotty assholes and got a taste of the local culture

why are psycho foreign exchange hosts so common I swear I've heard more stories about nightmare prison warden exchange families specifically than I've heard positive student exchange stories, period, and I used to work for an exchange program group

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 7, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tolkien minority posted:

This is just very sad. It sounds like her hosts are just doing it for the paycheck and resent her for it, and it's not like the study abroad program needs her approval. They already have her money. I suppose it's possible that she's a huge Oui-aboo and that's turning everyone off.

Also, this reminds me of my friend (17F) who went to study abroad in Russia and returned a broken shell of a human being. Never did find out exactly what happened. :(

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

help reddit I went to the country famous for its snotty assholes and got a taste of the local culture

why are psycho foreign exchange hosts so common I swear I've heard more stories about nightmare prison warden exchange families specifically than I've heard positive student exchange stories, period, and I used to work for an exchange program group

The wildest stories I've heard from au pairs and exchange students are those who went to Japan. Just varying degrees of a man who's at work 90 hours a week, psychopathic housewives and children who are either completely indifferent or entirely hosed up

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah in retrospect it's probably just like 90% Japan, which I can totally see being a meatgrinder for weeaboos

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Study abroad is pretty retarded

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nah they just send kids to the wrong places https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTsXHXMkJA

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

subhuman filth posted:

Study abroad is pretty retarded

depends on where you go, france is probably a bad choice if you're not culturally french in some way. country is famous for being full of assholes

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Also, this reminds me of my friend (17F) who went to study abroad in Russia and returned a broken shell of a human being. Never did find out exactly what happened. :(

Russia.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I appreciate the sincerity, for real, but please talk about pants making GBS threads somewhere else. :barf:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Fullhouse posted:

depends on where you go, france is probably a bad choice if you're not culturally french in some way. country is famous for being full of assholes

For Americans in France, you either have to be really good or really bad at speaking French and regardless of skill level, willing to humiliate yourself/be humiliated at some point. This is a culture that has still not really gotten over Jerry Lewis. French people get off on the one thing they can do better than anyone else in the world: speak their dumb, mumbly language. So gently caress up a few conjugations! Mispronounce something! Mix up two words that sound nothing alike because you need their help! They'll love you for it. Talk about how American football is awful and soccer is way better. Tell them their McDonalds selection is superior.
Do NOT mention their complicity with the Nazis.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

zegermans posted:

It's a mystery how this man had a massive heart attack in his 50s.

I know, he was in fantastic shape

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Yo I studied abroad at Moscow State U for a summer and I drank a ton and it owned.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

My (22f) SO (27m) is eating (and wasting) almost all of the food in the house. I can't afford it and I'm always hungry.

quote:

Neither of us make a lot of money. I have a fairly labor intensive job that requires me to be on my feet while moving somewhat heavy things for around 8 hours day. So, I'm usually pretty tired by the end of the day and I burn a lot of calories doing what I do, so I need to eat.

To save money most of our meals are home cooked, very simple and cheap things. Like chili, soup, chicken + rice, meat +potato, etc. that can be made quickly and can be an easy brown bag lunch to take to work. When I prepare these meals, I make at least 10-12 servings so we can eat half for dinner/lunch and the freeze the rest for another day. I'll also get easy/cheap things for breakfast too like oatmeal, off brand cereal and milk to eat quickly in the morning.

All of the meal planning, which is mostly done by me, was working really well. We weren't spending a lot on food, it's usually fairly healthy and can be easily reheated as leftovers. I can't quite put my finger on when he started consuming more food than he should. His habits are becoming more obvious and have started to hurt me financially. Here are a few examples of his relationship with the food I prepare (FWIW - we usually split most of the bills, including food):
  • I will buy a gallon of milk at the start of the week. I end up only eating cereal Mon and Tues mornings, by Tuesday afternoon he has consumed all of the milk. I tried to resolve this issue by buying almond milk for me, and regular milk for him. Because he doesn't like almond milk. He ended up drinking both. I felt defeated because I just want a bowl of cereal with milk before I go to work. And I wake up thinking there is some left, but it's empty.
  • He will eat my portions of food that I have set aside for myself. I tend to pack my lunch in advance to take to work, and at some point after I go to bed and before I wake up, he will have eaten what I put aside for myself.
  • I get a 50% discount at a local bakery, every now and then I'll bring home a slice of cheesecake to share. He will tell me he only wants a small bite, and I can have the rest. He will proceed to eat about 75-80% of the slice. One time he ate all of it except for the crust, not even kidding.
  • If I end up working late, he may have a few friends over. He'll use our most recently made meal to feed them, which usually means nothing will be left for us.
  • He's thrown away perfectly good food before without asking me - he'll say he didn't like it or thought it went bad, and will just toss it out.
  • I have (had) a tiny stash of airplane bottles of liquor, I use to make myself a cocktail every now and then, but he drank all of them. I found out by discovering every single bottle was empty. He didn't bother to throw them away.
  • He will eat entire packages of things in 1 or 2 sittings when they should last for a week. These are usually treats I'll get for both of us, like a small package of cookies or cheese and crackers, chips and salsa, etc. When I do purchase something like this I'll only have 1 cookie and the rest are eaten by him.
  • If we cold cuts for sandwiches, he will put a gratuitous amount of meat and cheese on his sandwich. Instead of making 6 sandwiches out of the cold cuts, we may make it to 3.
  • The frozen food supply I have made is dwindling and I use when I'm feeling desperate. At least he's too lazy to defrost these himself. Otherwise, because of his increased eating habits I don't get to freeze much anymore.
  • We eat a different times due to our jobs, so if I have leftovers in the fridge that should be enough for 2 generous portions, he'll take most of it for himself, throw away what he doesn't eat, and will leave a scrap or two for me. I made a lasagna awhile ago, the leftovers were easily 3 servings, he took almost all of it and left me about 1/3 of what my portion should have been. I saw what he didn't eat in the trash.
His increased consumption habits have grown to the point where I can't keep up with it anymore, there's never any food in the house unless we've been to the grocery store within the past 48 hours. I've started to buy my own food before and during work just so I can eat something, but it's expensive and I can't continue doing it. We've fought over this issue a lot, he doesn't seem to think he's doing anything wrong and is blaming me for policing his eating habits. But, I'm so hungry and I'm so tired. He's gained some weight, maybe a size bigger for his pants, but he doesn't see this as an issue. If I keep food in the house he'll eat it and leave nothing for me, if I continue to buy food for myself outside of the home I'll go broke, plus it's usually unhealthy food. I've noticed that over the past 3 months I've lost about 10 lbs, which puts me on the borderline of being underweight, I'm currently at the lowest end of a healthy weight for my age and height. Several friends have even asked about my weight loss and have asked if I'm sick.

I don't know what to do. Whenever we try to talk about the food consumption in our house it devolves into an argument where I shouldn't keep track of what he's eating, but we never address the fact that I'm hungry all of the time and can't seem to eat a full meal. It's getting harder for me to come up with reasons of what he's doing is wrong. Like I said, I feel hungry all the time now and it's zapping my energy.

tl;dr: My SO is eating us out of house and home. He is greedy with food, eats most of it, throws away what he doesn't eat it all, will eat my prepped meals I made for myself, consumes everything before I get a chance to use it. I'm spending more money on food than what I can afford because I'm having to go to fast food places before work and during lunch. We argue about this a lot, he is pushing the blame on me because I'm policing what he eats and I'm shaming his eating habits. I'm just really, really hungry. I'm tired all the time and I've lost weight due to his food greed. What can I do to resolve this?
:murder:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Van Kraken posted:

My (22f) SO (27m) is eating (and wasting) almost all of the food in the house. I can't afford it and I'm always hungry.

:murder: this rear end in a top hat, him and his tapeworm can go

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Van Kraken posted:

aw what the gently caress

:murder: :murder: :murder:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
and eat his corpse!!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Who kills a gallon of milk in two days? This dude definitely has a goddamn tapeworm

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Even if he does he's still being a shitstain to be eating the food she made for her lunch the next day. Shameless fucker

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Who kills a gallon of milk in two days? This dude definitely has a goddamn tapeworm

I could easily drink like a litre of milk per meal no problem. I don't because that would be really dumb but if it was healthy I definitely would. I really like milk.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Andrast posted:

I could easily drink like a litre of milk per meal no problem. I don't because that would be really dumb but if it was healthy I definitely would. I really like milk.

Same, milk is delicious.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, there's absolutely no excuse for eating the stuff she specifically sets aside for her own lunch. She needs to look into getting a locking lunchbox, or a locking cabinet, or a new boyfriend

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, there's absolutely no excuse for eating the stuff she specifically sets aside for her own lunch. She needs to look into getting a locking lunchbox, or a locking cabinet, or a new boyfriend

she should get her calories back, the calories she paid for. not equivalent calories, the same calories, and this can only be done, by eating his corpse

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Thin privilege is sympathy and concern for losing weight for not having enough to eat, as opposed to gaining and still not having enough.

Also, if you want to use the :fuckinhell: emote, I think this version is the better one but maybe people will disagree:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Theory: hungry boyfriend is pregnant... with dodecauplets.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

Theory: hungry boyfriend is pregnant... with dodecauplets.

hungry boyfriend is a plerergate.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pick posted:

hungry boyfriend is a plerergate.

It's 11pm and I'm in bed alone laughing my rear end off at this

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Van Kraken posted:

Someone should tell her about the mcdouble. http://nypost.com/2013/07/28/the-greatest-food-in-human-history/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Van Kraken posted:

This is like a lovely coworker who eats your food except they live with you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

This article repeats that old saw about how raising the minimum wage would make it impossible for the poor to buy anything so I don't know that their analysis is top-notch here.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It's the new york post, by the guys who do fox news but aimed at an even trashier viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Fullhouse posted:

especially don't date fat old autistic gamers

Hey now! Some of us, I assume, are good people.