Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lobok posted:

Had a run-of-the-mill pair that lasted years but had to finally give them up because the thin plastic covering the foam over the ears was flaking off like mad and getting everywhere. They still worked, though. I've yet to find a proper replacement. So many headphones either have small ear coverings, which ends up pinching my ears after a while, or the headband isn't padded so the top of my head starts to hurt after a while, or the sound leaks too much, or the cord is too short. I didn't know how good I had it with that old pair... :(

The headphones thread in IYG is very helpful for finding what you need. Rule #1 of course, is never buy anything sold as 'gaming' headsets or headphones because they're almost all universally crap (or just overpriced).

Sounds like you want something closed and Circumaural? Maybe try something like the Status Audio CB-1, which are very good for the price (there's a 15% off coupon you can use on their webpage too). Fake leather padding on the top and cups, closed and they form a reasonably good seal, the cord is also detachable and it comes with either a short coiled or very long straight cord. Or you can use your own cord including one with a mic if you need one.

If those are too small but the right idea, maybe try the NVX XPT-100 or Brainwavz HM5 (they're the same exact model just rebranded).

Some other good ones to check out would be Philips SHP9500s, they are open backed so be aware of that, I got a pair to try and my wife ended up loving them so she kept em.

I have weird shaped ears though, and wear glasses, so your experience may be completely different from mine as to what is comfortable.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jack jack

jack jack jack

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The headphones thread in IYG is very helpful for finding what you need. Rule #1 of course, is never buy anything sold as 'gaming' headsets or headphones because they're almost all universally crap (or just overpriced).

Sounds like you want something closed and Circumaural? Maybe try something like the Status Audio CB-1, which are very good for the price (there's a 15% off coupon you can use on their webpage too). Fake leather padding on the top and cups, closed and they form a reasonably good seal, the cord is also detachable and it comes with either a short coiled or very long straight cord. Or you can use your own cord including one with a mic if you need one.

If those are too small but the right idea, maybe try the NVX XPT-100 or Brainwavz HM5 (they're the same exact model just rebranded).

Some other good ones to check out would be Philips SHP9500s, they are open backed so be aware of that, I got a pair to try and my wife ended up loving them so she kept em.

I have weird shaped ears though, and wear glasses, so your experience may be completely different from mine as to what is comfortable.

Yeah, good tip on the gaming headsets. Never bought one of those and don't intend do. I'd probably go for the NVX model. Thanks!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have gaming headphones that have worked well for over 2 years but the mic is kinda assy

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

My headphones at home last years and years. I think my garbage phone is shorting them out or something

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

I still can't believe it. We are actually getting the conclusion to this series. It took what 10 years or more?

Man I feel old.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

What the gently caress do you guys do to your headphones? I certainly don't take care of mine...

I was gonna say, I have a pair of lovely $40 Logitech wireless headphones that I use for gaming, streaming, recording vocals, and even sometimes sit in the floor in front of an amp to record guitar parts and they've lasted 2 years with no sign of wear and tear at all.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe it's because I like the in-ear type headphones. The base of the cable always ends up getting frayed then they lose sound in one ear. I think I take pretty good care of them idk

Luckily the pair that broke comes with 3 year warranty but this would be my second time getting them replaced (because the first pair also lasted 6 months) and idk if that's allowed but I emailed their customer support. Maybe I just need to spend £2000 on crazy audiophile headphones someday and hope they last forever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would kill for a pair of headphones that are legitimately comfortable over the course of 2+ hours. I don't have weird big ears or whatever but man.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
These are the ones i use and i love them, sound quality is top notch from my experience.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

If the game sucks maybe that's not an accident.

It doesn't suck THAT bad.

Shindragon posted:

I still can't believe it. We are actually getting the conclusion to this series. It took what 10 years or more?

Man I feel old.

13 years since it ended. I only wish Mako was still around to voice Aku.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 6, 2017

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Think I'm gonna start replaying Super Paper Mario this week after having last played it in like 2008. I liked it despite being pissed off they turned one of my favorite series into a weird platformer so I hope it holds up

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked everything about RCR EX except for the box art

e:

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 6, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

e:

There are a lot of little touches I liked. The game made an effort at expanding the story and tying it into the greater kunio-kun game-i-verse, and the localization has some neat references. There's a gang called The Dragons that has japanese students in it, and the two main ones are named Riki and Kunio. Two of them are also named after the Megatokyo creators, which was fun because it meant I could throw bricks at their heads.

I like how the dialogue and recruitable gang members change slightly depending on if you're playing as Alex, Ryan, or both. I liked some of the new weapons and moves, and that you could have a couple more enemies on screen. I like the options where you could decide how many enemies each gang had and other little options like that. I liked the cheat codes that let you customize your look and moveset.

But the downsides are just way too numerous. It just doesn't play anything like RCR, and is completely unbalanced in favor of the player character. And they took out environmental hazards like the river, what the heck!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Megatokyo lol

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMLkBf9Z_ko

e: Whoa boy, that's a bad thumbnail.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 6, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

maybe i'm alone but the rcr music is really good and didn't need to be replaced by whatever that guy's doing

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sounds like he mixed it with Blues Traveler - Run Around op

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

This is generally true, but logitechs "gamer" gear is generally cheap and frequently discounted. I think i got mine for $60 or so and it's a A- tier wireless headset.

e: logitech g930

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 6, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FirstAidKite posted:

e:

Why would they do this? I thought the age of lovely Americanized box art died with the N64 and PS1, or at least the PS2.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it was nice of the Penny Arcade guys to let Nintendo use some of their doodles from high school

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That's pretty par the course for GBA cover art.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
That one is spot on to the weird rear end source material tho

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven't had to look at box art for years thanks to Steam!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
For some reason I still remember the awful super duper sumos theme

THEY'VE GOT GUTS!

AND BUTTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nhr38z1MQ

Jeeze

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

US box art ahoy:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A cool drat horse posted:

Think I'm gonna start replaying Super Paper Mario this week after having last played it in like 2008. I liked it despite being pissed off they turned one of my favorite series into a weird platformer so I hope it holds up

Yeah, don't approach it as a follow-up to your favorite rpg and it's fine. Some of the tongue in cheek jokes about video game tedium are really bad though

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

For some reason I still remember the awful super duper sumos theme

THEY'VE GOT GUTS!

AND BUTTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nhr38z1MQ

Jeeze

Until I remembered and posted that cover this was one of the shows I had blocked from memory.

The other was Yvon of the Yukon. :smithicide:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ekster posted:

US box art ahoy:

Please put your stuff on imgur.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

GUI posted:

Until I remembered and posted that cover this was one of the shows I had blocked from memory.

The other was Yvon of the Yukon. :smithicide:

The only one like this that I remember is spaceketeers. The swedish dub was absolutely hilarious.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Megatokyo lol

Whenever someone mentions it I have to check to be sure that relic still exists, that the latest update is Fred Gallagher talking about how hard it is to actually post a comic on time, and that glancing at the latest comic, you can tell nothing has changed in the story since 2001. All three things are true this time, I just checked

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cathedral Ward is way easier than Central Yharnam and the Aqueduct so far, if only because the enemies are so spaced apart. Fighting one dude at a time is so much better than dealing with a crowd. I only died once finding the next lantern.

I just keep cracking the Insight skulls, figuring there's no reason not to. I don't see anything to spend it on but Father Gascoigne gear, so I'm going to wait.

Some weird purple portal appeared early in the level and didn't seem to do anything? Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been reading this visual novel for a while and I was curious about how long it is and it's like...forty hours?

I'm going to finish it next year at the rate I've been reading it.

I'm not necessarily complaining, I'm just...that's a lot more than I expected, wow.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bicyclops posted:

Cathedral Ward is way easier than Central Yharnam and the Aqueduct so far, if only because the enemies are so spaced apart. Fighting one dude at a time is so much better than dealing with a crowd. I only died once finding the next lantern.

I just keep cracking the Insight skulls, figuring there's no reason not to. I don't see anything to spend it on but Father Gascoigne gear, so I'm going to wait.

Some weird purple portal appeared early in the level and didn't seem to do anything? Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Having tons of insight is actually bad (but not very), and boss armor is worth getting though, since it's unique and cool. Best thing to spend insight on other than one-off items is weapon materials, which open up more in the insight shop once you're later in the game.

That purple "portal" would have done nothing other than hurt very very badly at this point in the game. One gets you a warp to a nightmare area later though, and another's used to enter the DLC.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bicyclops posted:

The higher your Insight, the more challenging some enemies become.

And that portal, oh man... let's just say that I and other players have had different experiences with that portal

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

Whenever someone mentions it I have to check to be sure that relic still exists, that the latest update is Fred Gallagher talking about how hard it is to actually post a comic on time, and that glancing at the latest comic, you can tell nothing has changed in the story since 2001. All three things are true this time, I just checked

technically in megatokyo 9/11 has not happened yet

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

technically in megatokyo 9/11 has not happened yet

Relax, we understand j00...

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
I've been messing around with my 3DS and injected Wario Land 4 for the GBA as a VC game.
Playing through it, I have to say it's a well done game. The art is just subtle enough to not be considered outright psychedelic, and maintains a eery facade of lightheartedness. Definitely a game worth checking out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Was getting any sort of game to work on Windows 3.1/MS-DOS through Windows 95 as frustrating as I remember it being?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

I said come in! posted:

Was getting any sort of game to work on Windows 3.1/MS-DOS through Windows 95 as frustrating as I remember it being?

I guarantee you did not stare at the blinking text cursor while flipping through the manual bundled with the game (or the sweaty piece of notebook paper your friend gave you with 20 floppy disks) alone

• Locked thread