Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A: “It seems to me you’re invested ... You’d rather crush Tony Abbott than save the Liberals. You’ve got to get over that. Tony Abbott made terrible mistakes, and if you’re trying to get me to say that Tony Abbott didn’t, you’ll fail.”

M: “I’m not trying to get you to say anything, Andrew, I’m just telling the truth as it is. You’re citing polls when they’re convenient for you. The polls were showing that he would have lost the election. You’re telling me the polls were saying that Julia Gillard was going to lose the election.”

A: “I think you’re completely misrepresenting the role of polls.”

M: “No, you’re on the one hand saying that polls were telling us that Julia Gillard was going to lose ...”

A: “How about I make my point and then tell me I’m wrong, instead of telling me I’m wrong before I’ve actually made it. That might be helpful. The polls didn’t say Tony Abbott would lose, they said he was losing. That’s a different kettle of fish. The polls right now say that Malcolm Turnbull is losing.”

M: “But make up your mind.”

A: “I think we’re in a profitless debate. You seem to be very keen to establish Tony Abbott can’t come back.”

M: “But you’re very keen to say he can come back.”

A: “Let me finish my point. Whether Tony Abbott can or can’t come back is almost besides the point.”

M: “But it’s your only point. It’s the only point you’ve been making for the last six months.”

A: “No it’s not, and if you’d let me finish you’d see the point I am making. The point I am making is the first question for the Liberals is can they win with Malcolm Turnbull. That’s the first point. And that’s the point that’s been highlighted last week by his many stumbles and this week by the polls again and Cory Bernardi. These are the issues. Tony Abbott doesn’t even come into the picture.”

M: “You need to make up your mind about the polls.”

A: “Don’t attack me.”

M: “I’m not attacking you. You’re saying on the one hand you don’t believe the polls when they come to Tony Abbott but you do believe the polls now when they come to Malcolm Turnbull.”

A: “Miranda, this is so frustrating. You ascribe to me a view that I don’t hold, then when I correct it, instead of listening and accepting it, you once again say the same thing.”

M: “Oh, Andrew, we’re not getting anywhere here. Did you or did you not tell us that you thought that Julia Gillard would not have won the election based on polls?”

A: “Let me make my point. Please let me make my points otherwise there’s no point to the conversation. Let me make my points or there’s no point to the conversation and I may as well go and do something else.”

M: “Did you or did you not say that?”

A: “Put your question and let me answer it. Why are you arguing with me? I’ve tried to tell you ...”

M: “Andrew, this is fruitless.”

A: “I know. For christ sake, Miranda. If you give me a question I’ll answer it, and if you keep interrupting me I’m afraid I’m going to hang up.”

M: “We’ve got five weeks, we have to get on.”

A: “Miranda, in that case you’re describing a living hell for me. It has to work like this. You ask me a question, I give an answer, you can agree with me or not agree with me, but please don’t interrupt me while I’m doing it.”

M: “Well, Andrew, this is my show so you don’t dictate to me what I do.”

A: “No, it’s our show. Well if it’s your show how about you do it without me.”

M: “Is that what you want to do?”

A: “I think it is if you’re going to go on like this.”

M: “Well don’t dictate to me what we do. I mean you’re actually behaving ...”

A: “Then let me speak. If you want me on, let me speak.”

M: “Alright, go ahead.”

A: “No, I’m just saying, you give a question, let me speak and give an answer.”

M: “I thought this was a discussion.”

A: “Well funnily enough I’ve managed to do it very nicely with every other fill-in except you. Now let’s throw to the listeners and see whether they think this method of discussion is profitless.”

M: “Alright, well let’s do that when I’m ready to do that.”

A: “No, I want to listen to the listeners now.”

Things then calmed down a bit, with the pair taking a number of calls from listeners before finally, apparently, agreeing to disagree. This is how it finished up.

M: “Well, Andrew, it’s been fantastic talking to you, even though we did have a stoush, but that was going to be on the cards. It’s been boiling for a while. Let’s try again tomorrow and see how we go.”

A: “Let’s see.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Seemlar posted:

Pretty funny that Bolt can't handle even the slightest pushback at all, though.

Not an empty quote.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Is the Australian government always this fractious? I caught a bit of it with Rudd and then full force with Abbott/Turnbull but I figured those were anomalous.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Amazing watching these two mealy mouthed idiots having a slap fight.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Exactly. Trump's success comes down to getting a lot of free media attention and to being seen as being a political outsider. Palmer had those qualities, Abbott never did.
If only Palmer had gone down the path of golden hotels and not boats and dinosaurs the world mght have been a very different place.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Aurubin posted:

Is the Australian government always this fractious? I caught a bit of it with Rudd and then full force with Abbott/Turnbull but I figured those were anomalous.

Yes, but it's just more recently become normal for it to come public all the time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Aurubin posted:

The period since Rudd is the messiest it's been since the 70s/early 80s, in terms of internal government stability I think.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Amazing watching these two mealy mouthed idiots having a slap fight.

Bolt demands that every position he holds is whatever works for the moment and you can't contradict today's opinion unless he does tomorrow. Bolt must always win, must always pretend he had a 50/50 bet instead of absolutist garbage. It was just unbearable to have Miranda point that out, and I can't see Bolt lasting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The period since Rudd is the messiest it's been since the 70s/early 80s, in terms of internal government stability I think.

It hasn't been this bad since the 50's. Not even the Gorton/McMahon period comes close.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Aurubin posted:

The closest the Liberals had was when Don Chipp left to start the Democrats. However Chipp was a House of Reps member for the Libs, left them and then became a Senator for the Democrats.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Kevin Rudd is the greatest statesman since Bismarck. He saw the ongoing concentration of power in the executive, contrary to the design of our system, and put in motion a plan to permanently destabilise and weaken it spanning multiple terms and parties of government

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Solemn Sloth posted:

Kevin Rudd is the greatest statesman since Bismarck. He saw the ongoing concentration of power in the executive, contrary to the design of our system, and put in motion a plan to permanently destabilise and weaken it spanning multiple terms and parties of government

Truly the cicero of our generation

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Aurubin posted:

Oh, I forgot the "Joh for PM" that completely derailed the Federal Liberals/Nationals and destroyed any chance of them winning the 1987 Federal election.

I'm sure there are some Liberals who still hate the guts of any Queensland National Party member to this day.

You Am I fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 7, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You Am I posted:

Oh, I forgot the "Joh for PM" that completely derailed the Federal Liberals/Nationals and destroyed any chance of them winning the 1987 Federal election

National heroes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Apparently there's an election on in WA:

quote:

Meanwhile, Transport Minister Bill Marmion was heckled extensively by a passer-by as he fronted the media at Bayswater train station to continue the Liberals' attack on Metronet.

As Mr Marmion tried to argue Labor's Metronet costings had holes in them, he had to compete with the man shouting that the under-construction airport rail line was the "stupidest idea".

Transit guards eventually appeared to ensure the man boarded the next train.

Can't have members of the public contradicting the party line.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

asio posted:

Truly the cicero of our generation

Kevin Rudd has taken a moment from his concession speech to thank you for your unironic compliment

How unfortunate

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Jesus loving Christ George Christensen is the platonic ideal of a brain dead fat turd

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4px8KQpy1cM

lol he got kicked out from his job as shadow parliamentary secretary for this

Toys For Ass Bum fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 7, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Sounds like the Libs didn't like him anyway, they just wish they weren't losing a seat

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hahaha. Imagine the teeth grinding going on.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Isn't there a Twitter clone just for alt-right dickheads that would welcome him, though?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Marshal of the drone air force, Ahmed Fahour is worth a pretty penny...

http://www.theage.com.au/business/senate-committee-denies-australia-post-attempt-to-keep-ahmed-fahours-salary-secret-20170207-gu7n05.html

quote:

A Senate committee has refused Australia Post's request to keep managing director Ahmed Fahour's $5.6 million salary a secret.

On Tuesday the committee chair, Senator James Paterson of Victoria, released the information after deciding it was overwhelmingly in the public interest.

"Fundamentally, the committee considers there are no compelling reasons for this particular information about the remuneration of senior executives at Australia Post to be hidden from public scrutiny," the committee wrote to the government-owned enterprise.

It shows one senior executive, presumably Mr Fahour, received a $4.4 million salary and a $1.2 million bonus. Five other executives received salaries ranging from $1.3 million to $1.8 million. One unnamed executive received a $380,000 retirement benefit.

Australia Post was asked to provide details about executive salaries during estimates in late 2016. Australia Post replied in January it would supply the information, but only in secret. It argued the information was personal and sensitive and should not be released because individuals "may become targets for unwarranted media attention", which could lead to brand damage.

The committee responded that public interest overrides those concerns and that "potential issues of personal safety and security do not appear to be compelling reasons to withhold publication". The committee informed Australia Post on Tuesday afternoon it would be publishing the information. Australia Post requested one week's notice before publishing the information, but this was denied.

etc.
That's a fair bit of coin whoring for eBay.

A very weird cat is good old Ahmed. Leaves you wondering why he would be trusted with a burnt match let alone a bank/postal service.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/senate-committee-denies-australia-post-attempt-to-keep-ahmed-fahours-salary-secret-20170207-gu7n05.html

A very weird cat is good old Ahmed. Leaves you wondering why he would be trusted with a burnt match let alone a bank/postal service.

I will use this information when I rant on their facebook page about why my Express post Package hasn't gone anywhere in 2 days.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I will use this information when I rant on their facebook page about why my Express post Package hasn't gone anywhere in 2 days.
Blame people in safety vests laughing at your package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwtM-kSpPrI

You would think they are defusing a loving bomb.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

Blame people in safety vests laughing at your package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwtM-kSpPrI

You would think they are defusing a loving bomb.

They could use a smaller drone, they only need to deliver the card that said they attempted delivery.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

quote:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...207-gu7t06.html

"As the Prime Minister and a taxpayer, I've spoken to the chairman today. I think that salary, that remuneration, is too high.

He just can't help himself. This is almost as bad as the time he called SBS to get a journo sacked.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Australia Post is a ~ 6 Billion dollar a year business. Does financial mastermind Turnbull really think a million dollar salary for the CEO is out of line? If he does he's got no idea of the current business environment in Australia. :golfclap:

:ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:

When is terror not terror? Ask an expert:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/us-politics/donald-trump-slips-up-on-aussie-attack/news-story/90df90112ed60ca2d59308d99ebe4629

quote:

Donald Trump slips up on Aussie ‘attack’ The Australian12:00AM February 8, 2017 MARK SCHLIEBS ReporterBrisbane

The White House erroneously branded a double murder in Queensland as terrorism yesterday to illustrate President ­Donald Trump’s claim there were dozens of Islamic State ­attacks in Western countries a “very, very dishonest press doesn’t want to report”. The Trump administration, which has levelled claims of “fake news” at journalists and coined the phrase “alternate facts”, listed the deaths of two British backpackers in a stabbing at a hostel in a small town near Townsville last year as terrorism. Smail Ayad allegedly killed Mia Ayliffe-Chung, 21, and Tom Jackson, 30, in August while yelling “Allahu Akbar” and singing the French national anthem but police almost immediately ruled out terrorism. The White House gaffe, ­described as a “gross error” by a terrorism expert, came just days after senior Trump adviser ­Kellyanne Conway wrongly claimed while defending the Trump travel ban that there had been a terrorist massacre at Bowling Green in Kentucky in 2011.

“Two killed and one wounded in knife attack at a hostel frequented by Westerners” is how the White House described the non-existent Queensland ­terrorist attack yesterday. The “attacker” is listed as Smail Ayad, according to copies of the list published by US media outlets. These details were included in the White House’s list of 78 terrorist attacks worldwide that went “mostly” under-reported since September 2014, released to support the earlier criticism by Mr Trump. The list included four confirmed Australian attacks, including the Lindt cafe siege, Numan Haider’s knife attack on two ­Melbourne police officers and Curtis Cheng’s murder. Authorities have long ruled out terrorism as a motive for the August 23 killings at the hostel in Home Hill, 95km southeast of Townsville. Mr Ayad, then 29, was charged with murder, ­attempted murder and other ­offences, but not with any terror-related offences. “The Queensland Police ­Service conducted a thorough ­investigation into the murders of British nationals Mia Ayliffe-Chung and Thomas Jackson — examining all facets of the crime,” the service said yesterday. “We did not close our minds to any circumstances or motivation. We are confident (the ­accused) acted alone and had no known local connections. The crimes were not about race or ­religion, but individual criminal behaviour.”

Two months after the killings, Australian Security Intelligence Organisation head Duncan Lewis told a Senate estimates hearing that there had been only four ­terrorist attacks in Australia since 2014: Lindt, Haider, Cheng and the stabbing of a man at a park in Minto, in Sydney’s southwest, last September. (Bolded for the lolness of them being called terror attacks).

The list does not include the Townsville stabbings. ASIO confirmed yesterday there had not been a fifth attack.

News Corp, publisher of The Australian, said its publications “covered the Australian events listed by the President with both professionalism and courage, and indeed called them out for the terrorism events that they were proven to be”.:psyduck:

Terrorism expert Greg Barton from Deakin University said while the “Bowling Green massacre” could have been a legitimate mistake after Ms Conway said she had misspoken, classifying Home Hill as a terrorist attack seemed more purposeful.
“The fact that it comes from a White House statement and flies in the odds of — I’m pretty sure — American intelligence assessments, but also disregards Australian intelligence assessments, (means) it’s a pretty gross error,” Professor Barton said. “It raises the suggestion that it’s wilful.”
"Proven to be?" The Lindt inquest is yet to report and I'm cautiously confident there will be no definite terrorism finding. So the Australian is as bad or worse than Trump when it comes to truthfulness. Colour me very very loving shocked.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Haha loving what? The Lindt Siege was under-reported was it?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Eh Lindt isn't a stretch as a terroristic event. The fiction is that it wasn't covered.

I gave up on someone forever when they posted while it was still going on that it was a government false flag.

They also believed Martin Bryant was framed so...

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's all collapsing down around Trumble.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

Eh Lindt isn't a stretch as a terroristic event. The fiction is that it wasn't covered.

The fiction is that it was terrorism by the media that covered it and the authorities hoping the report that will say so won't dump them in it really really badly, because they contributed to it. The media have conflicting agendas on this: they want to label it terrorism, but they also want to trumpet how badly the authorities managed it and how they contributed to the event by ignoring warnings about the guy, in which case it isn't terrorism by any label and more a siege with hostages which is all that it was.

I have a feeling Baird's departure was timely in this context.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

quote:

Jacqui Lambie will move to introduce a criminal code amendment to ban full face coverings in public places.

Does poo poo like this get voted on the in senate then the house? I'm not up on how senators introduce legislation. gently caress I think I even asked this in this thread years ago but I can't remember.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

I don't see why anyone bothers worshipping a god with such bad aim.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cirofren posted:

Does poo poo like this get voted on the in senate then the house? I'm not up on how senators introduce legislation. gently caress I think I even asked this in this thread years ago but I can't remember.

It's a regulation not a bill, so it can be voted on and passed and BAM law.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

It's a regulation not a bill, so it can be voted on and passed and BAM law.

As in just in the senate that has 3 One Nation members and Bernardi?

gently caress

Edit:

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 8, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Probably won't pass. The libs would have to all vote for it, possible. But then you've still got NXT and Hinch who are unlikely to.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AusConservPty/status/828908738086043648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/829127541159976960

Treating adults like children is a surefire way to ensure success.

• Locked thread