Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Bunch of no shows at the meetup and I had to can a paranoia sesh. I really wanted to be a jerk dm for once.

Ratpick posted:

The closest thing we've got to something like that is Card Hunter, which is actually pretty fun.

Seconding this, it's a cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Arivia posted:

Yes, there's a 3e roguelike and another 3e based game. However, the OGL actually prohibits using it to make computer games, so PFO is based off of Pathfinder's not OGL creative property, not the rules.

I don't think anything in the OGL specifically restricts that, though the d20 license does. Or as WotC answered once upon a time:

quote:

Q: I want to distribute computer software using the OGL. Is that possible?

A: Yes, it's certainly possible. The most significant thing that will impact your effort is that you have to give all the recipients the right to extract and use any Open Game Content you've included in your application, and you have to clearly identify what part of the software is Open Game Content.

One way is to design your application so that all the Open Game Content resides in files that are human-readable (that is, in a format that can be opened and understood by a reasonable person). Another is to have all the data used by the program viewable somehow while the program runs.

Distributing the source code not an acceptable method of compliance. First off, most programming languages are not easy to understand if the user hasnÍt studied the language. Second, the source code is a separate entity from the executable file. The user must have access to the actual Open Content used.

See the Software FAQ for more information.

The Software FAQ is still available here.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 6, 2017

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I still find it just bonkers that Paizo decided to go from "never did anything with video games before" to "let's make an MMO!" The ridiculously obvious thing would be to start with smaller Pathfinder-branded games in genres that aren't ludicrously difficult to succeed in, and maybe eventually do an MMO if the intervening games do well enough.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The default Pathfinder setting is so large and zany that you could do a dozen Obsidian-style CRPGs set there and rake in the Kickstarter cash from RPG nerds the world over. Like the idea sells itself. Hell, I might even be into it just based on how strong the resurgent isometric RPG games so far have been, even if I don't like PF.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It is a crying shame there are no Dark Sun isometric RPGs.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
There were a couple of sorta-isometric Dark Sun RPGs back in the 90s.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Covok posted:

It is a crying shame there are no Dark Sun isometric RPGs.

There's Dark Sun: Shattered Lands I guess.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think anything in the OGL specifically restricts that, though the d20 license does. Or as WotC answered once upon a time:

The Software FAQ is still available here.
Ouch. Having the rules bits of a game live in human readable format would be pretty brutal to code for.

Even if you count JSON/XML, you still need to completely modularize your game bits so they can be serialized instead of just representing them as code. That's one thing for stuff like player powers (which you might want to be serialized/configurable anyway), but for the actual core rules like how movement and attacks work it'd be a pretty monumental undertaking.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ewen Cluney posted:

I still find it just bonkers that Paizo decided to go from "never did anything with video games before" to "let's make an MMO!" The ridiculously obvious thing would be to start with smaller Pathfinder-branded games in genres that aren't ludicrously difficult to succeed in, and maybe eventually do an MMO if the intervening games do well enough.
There's a reason I mentioned Curt Schilling before. He pretty much did the exact same thing: trying to learn to swim by diving into the deep end.

What's really bonkers is that both Dancey and Schilling wanted to make MMOs in general in 2015/2016, when it was obvious to (almost) everyone that MMOs were a dying business model unless you were Blizzard.

fake edit: Holy gently caress Schilling is planning on running for Senate in Massachusetts next year are you loving kidding me?

Serf
May 5, 2011

I guess the difference is that Schilling at least put out one kickass game before folding.

Evil Mastermind posted:

fake edit: Holy gently caress Schilling is planning on running for Senate in Massachusetts next year are you loving kidding me?

Watch him unseat Warren.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Given that he's gone full-blown right-wing hate he probably will. :smithicide:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I mean, it's a forgone conclusion that, if the Dem voters don't get into shape and VOTE, the Republicans will sweep 2018 and get a supermajority in the Senate and House since the Dems are defending 28 seats and the Republicans are defending like 6. That's why you need to get all your Dem friends to GoTV and demoralize the gently caress out of your Republican friends so they stay home.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I doubt Schilling would unseat Warren. As big as the Socks are, he's kind of reached the bottom and he's a jackass.

He is a contributor at Brietbart though and I'm sure Belichick and Tom Brady would stump for him since they're also garbage people. So who knows?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He's also got a bit of a bad reputation in Mass. and RI because of the whole 38 Studios thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It would be the most 2016+ outcome, which means it will probably come to pass.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So which politician has come out to say that they play RPGs?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Adolf Hitler

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Florida GOP Candidate Moonlights as Vampire Role-Player "Chazz Darling

of course he would be from Florida :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ImpactVector posted:

Ouch. Having the rules bits of a game live in human readable format would be pretty brutal to code for.

Yeah. It's not that you can't use the OGL, but more that it's wildly impractical and probably not worth the effort.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A high ranking attorney out of Tampa used to play in the Camarilla too. I've gamed with both of them and they are both assholes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. It's not that you can't use the OGL, but more that it's wildly impractical and probably not worth the effort.

There's nothing stopping you from writing your source code properly, but you also then have to make all your mechanics available in the human readable format in some fashion anywhere it uses Open Content. It's really not worth the effort and there are certainly more elegant mechanical solutions available than anything you'd use from the OGL when you're writing code for a game.

Hell, the first Dragon Age was practically variant D&D as is and they didn't use any kind of license. You can't copyright mechanics so as long as you don't put dice rolling on the screen or use any actual IP (certain monsters, locations, NPCs, and spell names) you could rip off 3.X wholesale when building a computer game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

A high ranking attorney out of Tampa used to play in the Camarilla too. I've gamed with both of them and they are both assholes.
But you repeat yourself.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What is the New England Patriots feat. Tom Brady of Tabletop Games?

Serf
May 5, 2011

I mean the only answer is Dungeons and Dragons. No one else can even compete.

5 Super Bowl wins = 5 editions

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Serf posted:

I mean the only answer is Dungeons and Dragons. No one else can even compete.

5 Super Bowl wins = 5 editions

No Gods, No Wizards
Seize the means of XP

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Looks like Myth Weavers blew up their data and lost all of the character sheets stored on their site. According to their twitter it looks like July 25th is the last date of any real backup. But forums posts are totally safe! :downs:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

There's nothing stopping you from writing your source code properly, but you also then have to make all your mechanics available in the human readable format in some fashion anywhere it uses Open Content. It's really not worth the effort and there are certainly more elegant mechanical solutions available than anything you'd use from the OGL when you're writing code for a game.

Hell, the first Dragon Age was practically variant D&D as is and they didn't use any kind of license. You can't copyright mechanics so as long as you don't put dice rolling on the screen or use any actual IP (certain monsters, locations, NPCs, and spell names) you could rip off 3.X wholesale when building a computer game.

KoTOR is literally 3.0 D&D

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

Looks like Myth Weavers blew up their data and lost all of the character sheets stored on their site. According to their twitter it looks like July 25th is the last date of any real backup. But forums posts are totally safe! :downs:

Some people really just don't want to come and face facts with 2017.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Some people really just don't want to come and face facts with 2017.

Reading the postmortem apparently it's even worse than just a random fuckup, it looks like they lost the data because the guy monkeying with the code did something that erased everything and hadn't vetted the backups in six months under the assumption that they were in working order. Apparently some 200,000 character sheets were lost, which given the focus of the site is kind of a big deal.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
"I've seen characters you nerds wouldn't believe. Drow half-demon Mystic Theurges optimized to always pass Concentration Checks. Dual-wand wielding wizards with prestige classes based off of Sonic the Hedgehog characters. All those sheets will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Nearly 15 pages late but I want to point out the studio making the WoD Werewolf PC game are the luminaries behind those bad Bloodbowl games and the Styx series. What I'm saying is don't hope for much.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Simian_Prime posted:

"I've seen characters you nerds wouldn't believe. Drow half-demon Mystic Theurges optimized to always pass Concentration Checks. Dual-wand wielding wizards with prestige classes based off of Sonic the Hedgehog characters. All those sheets will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

:same:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kai Tave posted:

The Harebrained Shadowrun games have their flaws but they're still some of the better CRPGs to come out in recent days and they go on sale all the time, if you haven't picked them up I'd recommend them.
They're currently on sale in the Humble Mobile bundle for $6 along with kotor.

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/rpgs-mobile-bundle

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Reading the postmortem apparently it's even worse than just a random fuckup, it looks like they lost the data because the guy monkeying with the code did something that erased everything and hadn't vetted the backups in six months under the assumption that they were in working order. Apparently some 200,000 character sheets were lost, which given the focus of the site is kind of a big deal.

Mates are affected and they seem understandably devastated.

Hopefully there's a way to recover them because holy poo poo.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
You know, I'm not that huge a WoD fan, but I wouldn't mind a Crusader Kings 2 DLC that adds Vampire: The Dark Ages stuff into the game.

Does White Wolf still own Ars Magica? Because a grand strategy game about playing wizards in medieval Europe would be totally my poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cassa posted:

Hopefully there's a way to recover them because holy poo poo.

To my understanding there isn't, the siterunners are basically writing it off because there aren't any backups, period. He didn't make any before he started futzing with the database and the thing that was supposed to be automatically backing up the files, well, wasn't.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

To my understanding there isn't, the siterunners are basically writing it off because there aren't any backups, period. He didn't make any before he started futzing with the database and the thing that was supposed to be automatically backing up the files, well, wasn't.

Yeah, sounds too catastrophic for any recovering. This definitely kills games.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Kwyndig posted:

I know you're talking about computer games and poo poo, but how copyrightable is the "d20+mods vs. TN" mechanic?

Like, the first TTRPG I wrote up didn't use d20 partially because I wasn't sure that was something you're allowed to rip off.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

P.d0t posted:

I know you're talking about computer games and poo poo, but how copyrightable is the "d20+mods vs. TN" mechanic?

Like, the first TTRPG I wrote up didn't use d20 partially because I wasn't sure that was something you're allowed to rip off.

It's not. As far as I understand it, game mechanics are not protected under copyright, but the specific presentation of those mechanics can be. There's nothing stopping you from writing a game with d20+modifiers vs. TN without using the OGL (to my knowledge both Shadow of the Demon Lord and Monte Cook's Cypher system are basically this), but then you get into weird stuff like the OGL being separate from the d20 System Trademark and I am not a lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ratpick posted:

You know, I'm not that huge a WoD fan, but I wouldn't mind a Crusader Kings 2 DLC that adds Vampire: The Dark Ages stuff into the game.

Does White Wolf still own Ars Magica? Because a grand strategy game about playing wizards in medieval Europe would be totally my poo poo.

There's a Warhammer Fantasy mod that has playable Vampire Counts, and with the new expac adding secret societies it wouldn't be hard to make a WoD one.

• Locked thread