Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Aspirating skyfins are pretty neat. You could leave them in your own territory for the Approval boost, or just send them out to other places you haven't expanded to yet, and they start harvesting resources faster than you could get the normal way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How does the manpower stat work in es2? Not sure how it works at empire level

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Man, the Forgotten are actually really cool. Especially when you use the empire editor to give them Fast Travelers 2 and A Song Of Ice, Only Ice, so that Mysts with upgraded iron trinkets can fly like a dozen hexes every turn during winter, leaving your opponents futilely trudging around in a doomed effort to stop your supersonic rear end in a top hat sky ninjas from pillaging every single regional building and putting spies in every capital.

I wonder if I could figure out some way to make this work with Conversion? I could probably get away with only one drawback (maybe Make Trade, Not War) if I ditch a couple of the less-critical unique technologies and start with no techs unlocked (because the first few you buy are piss-cheap and lol technology stealing). I really want to know how viable and entertaining it would be to send flying invisible Jehovah's Witnesses rocketing around to spread the word of Our Lord and Savior, Spy Jesus.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
That sounds like a really different game to the Endless Legend I played, but also very good as well.

I haven't played in a while, despite keeping up with the dlc purchases. I should get back into the game again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Flipswitch posted:

How does the manpower stat work in es2? Not sure how it works at empire level

A portion of your surplus food automatically becomes manpower (ie: troops), that first fills up the planet's local defenses and then empire's global stock. Ships automatically draw manpower from the global stock when orbiting a system you control. You then use those troops to invade enemy systems. Basically, if you have low food production it's difficult to keep up an invasion since you'll quickly run out of manpower.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

What the gently caress is a Scyther and why did four of them just effortlessly slaughter over three dozen of my upgraded Era 3 veteran units at once and bulldoze one of my cities with only a single casualty

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

What the gently caress is a Scyther and why did four of them just effortlessly slaughter over three dozen of my upgraded Era 3 veteran units at once and bulldoze one of my cities with only a single casualty

Scythers are really, really powerful units you can only get by facing them in an event. If you get the quest you can build some yourself. They all have the ability to annihilate Guardians and are meant to be used against Guardians.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Pretty sure you can research a tech that allows them to be built like any other unit.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Just passed turn 200 on my converting Allayi game and I think I'm doing pretty well:

e: so for the person who wanted to know how you play cultists, this is how: :v:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 8, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

A portion of your surplus food automatically becomes manpower (ie: troops), that first fills up the planet's local defenses and then empire's global stock. Ships automatically draw manpower from the global stock when orbiting a system you control. You then use those troops to invade enemy systems. Basically, if you have low food production it's difficult to keep up an invasion since you'll quickly run out of manpower.
cheers dude, my planets were hitting max pop quite quickly but I wasn't seeing it reflected in my empire as I tend to micro manage my food so I don't over produce and waste dust

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Just passed turn 200 on my converting Allayi game and I think I'm doing pretty well:

:trumppop: teach me your gentle ways

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Well, I admittedly stacked the deck very much in my favor by playing on the biggest map size but leaving two AI slots open for more free provinces, and got a really lucky draw with Trading Clans as my only really proximal neighbor. I took Make Trade Not War to get enough points for conversion, so boxing the other civs in early and trying to deny them good provinces is the best/only way to shape the map how you want. At the start of the game, you want to focus on getting to early Allayi quest step that gives you a free Skyfin, then pump Influence as much as possible to fuel expansion. As I alluded to above, the Kazjani assimilation bonus is super good, especially in the early game. Shuffle village units from your rearward areas to contested provinces or sell them for Dust if you need to. Stick your first hero on the city to level until you get both levels of the Pearl pickup buff, then switch him to an army and then level a second mothman to both levels of the Pearl building cost reduction as a priority before you start building out; it pays off incredibly in the long run. Reload if you miss a wonder :v:. Once you get to the point where you're pulling in .5 or more of your current conversion cost in Influence per turn it's pretty much a glorious snowballing crusade to the end of the game.

Since your village recruits aren't directly upgradeable, pick combat heroes based on having good +% buffs (Cultist heroes are conveniently pre-built for this). Critically though this means that your village garrisons are never going to be quite strong enough to withstand enemy armies by themselves. In border areas you should try to keep extra armies in reinforcement range, but far back enough that they won't be the initial target.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 8, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Forgotten (... ) Make Trade, Not War

:captainpop:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I figure if I want to go to war with someone, just standing around in their territory converting all their villages, pillaging all their other stuff, stealing all their pearls, and running Reduce Population operations in their capital until they go insane with rage is a perfectly effective way to do that :v:

e: although I wonder how that would interact with free units from converted villages in enemy territory with closed borders. If crossing the border (outside of stealth) is an act of war, then what, do those converted dudes just pop out on the nearest non-forbidden region, or do they simply refuse to leave the village?

And thinking about it, the last thing you'd want as Forgotten is to be next door to the Cultists or something and unable to rush them before they start snowballing. Hmm. See, this is why I spend so much time restarting and tinkering!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 8, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, one of the biggest strengths of the Cultists is they have insane fortification bonuses on their city, but get a good spy embedded in there and you can perform the spy action that destroys their city fortification. Or the one that badly damages or captures their governor.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, forgotten are great against cultists. Their costs scale up by the number of cities in the infiltrated empire too, so they are cheap to attack. Plus, only one city means you can get high seniority quick as you'll never want to move the spy

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Slaan posted:

Yeah, forgotten are great against cultists. Their costs scale up by the number of cities in the infiltrated empire too, so they are cheap to attack. Plus, only one city means you can get high seniority quick as you'll never want to move the spy

On the other hand, it takes a while to charge up the "destroy all fortification" bonus, and cultists are guaranteed to have super high happiness at all times.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Amplitude is in Sega's "Make War Not Love" competition this time around, with Endless Legend.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

That's cool but I assume it doesn't stand a chance against the hordes of Total War fans.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, that site throws up security certificate issues, asks for your DOB, then loving asks for a login, all without providing any content, or clue to what the loving content might be. Great loving link, care to tell what we're talking about?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

So, that site throws up security certificate issues, asks for your DOB, then loving asks for a login, all without providing any content, or clue to what the loving content might be. Great loving link, care to tell what we're talking about?

Same. gently caress Sega.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
It's a yearly thing Sega does between its strategy game companies - you pick a side to support one of the games they have (Dawn of War 2, Company of Heroes, Total Warhammer, endless Legend), then in about a week reps from each of those companies will do a series of challenges and people supporting the winning sides get free stuff.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

On the other hand, it takes a while to charge up the "destroy all fortification" bonus, and cultists are guaranteed to have super high happiness at all times.

Another thing Forgotten can do to Cultists is raze their villages. It's a harassment tactic, but since the Cult lives and dies on its ability to have functioning villages feeding it it's one that's sure to sting them and get them to waste resources fighting you.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Speedball posted:

Another thing Forgotten can do to Cultists is raze their villages. It's a harassment tactic, but since the Cult lives and dies on its ability to have functioning villages feeding it it's one that's sure to sting them and get them to waste resources fighting you.

Yeah. Unfortunately you risk drawing the wrath of the cultists as their first target of opportunity, and if they're smart they'll bear down on you first and the forgotten are not exactly defense masters.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

HookedOnChthonics posted:

There's a pretty solid consensus that Custom Race is breakable as hell.

I'm not sure that that, play an underpopulated map, and save scum for Wonders are the most useful tips for newbies on "how to play Cultists."

I mean, straight-up editing the game files is also a pretty unbeatable strategy.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I appreciate the advice, and I'd like to get to this point someday but I always get savagely murdered in the early game. Their units seem rather... bad.

Preachers are terrible at fighting, and not even good at supporting in combat. I would strictly use them to hit more Ruins/Villages on the strategic map. You can even upgrade them with the Movement trinket at the start of the game to cover more ground, if you're not starved for Dust.

I think Angry Diplomat and Spanish Matlock hit the key stuff. You want to exploit the hell out of Convert to get a huge workforce, passive Resource income, and free units. Look especially for the stronger combat Minors like Kazanji and Urces- you're not paying for them anyway, so their higher cost doesn't matter.

In addition to what Angry Diplomat said about selling spare Minors on the Marketplace (there's probably a better way to word that), it's also way more cost-effective for Cult than anyone else to buy Luxuries since you need a much lower amount for the Boost. In the mid-late game, you should have as many boosts as you can running nonstop.

Happiness is trivial for the Cult since they don't have Expansion penalties.

The Cult has one of the most rewarding questlines, as long as you don't get bogged down by the Destroy a City step. The early Trinket reward (signet ring or something) they get is a really nice boost, and you can put it on units- I thought it was Hero only for a while and missed out.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 11, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Cultist archer units are fairly solid general-purpose troops if you give them shields and crossbows; they'll struggle against certain enemy army compositions, but that's why you stick your leveled-up, blinged-out, combat-specialized Cultist hero in with them to completely shred anything they have trouble with.

If you're using a good assimilated unit as your defensive frontline, giving the spooky cult archers bows instead can work pretty well, since it lets them do more damage at longer range (and makes them deadlier against flying units).

The core of your strategy against most scary opponents should be some combination of "just drown them in lovely free converted guys until they stop being a problem" and "just throw Tinu the Chosen or whoever at them with a grotesquely top-notch equipment set and a badass elite honour guard and then watch the bodies hit the floor."

I like to use converted units for interception, defence, and general purpose infantry warfare, while I have my hero and a mobile cabal of highly kitted-out armies travel around together handling all the siegecraft and major battles once the cannon fodder have scouted the area and softened up resistance.

e: also, since the Cultists only need one governor, you can get real nasty with your army composition by hiring more heroes to lead your veteran shock-trooper armies once you can spare the Dust. Three decked-out, fully-staffed hero armies charging up the middle of a wall of screaming converts will bulldoze loving near anything.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 11, 2017

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

To be fair, I didn't have to savescum to get the wonders; I just meant that their bonuses pay off so well over the course of the game for builds oriented around going ludicrously tall that missing one could be considered a game-ending condition. I'm not at all disputing that custom empires are ridiculous, but that's honestly most of the fun of Endless Legend for me--the diversity of mechanics and weird ways to combine them are awesome, and the reason I play this over Civ.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sandbox mode is really easy on endless space 2...i gave the ai tons of resources and it does nothing. Guess I'll crank it. Towards the end of the game it really hates you having more than like 12 star systems. On my Lum game it's at 48 :haw:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

The core of your strategy against most scary opponents should be some combination of "just drown them in lovely free converted guys until they stop being a problem" and "just throw Tinu the Chosen or whoever at them with a grotesquely top-notch equipment set and a badass elite honour guard and then watch the bodies hit the floor."

As a warning, don't do this against the Necrophage, and especially not against a Necrophage played by a Human; all that will do is feed them units and corpses until they have enormous, gently caress-off doomstacks of twenty or thirty units per army. At that point I'm not even sure anything could stop them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Oh yeah the Necrophages always necessitate a change in strategy. Don't try to swarm the swarm.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Going to echo that sentiment. Fighting human Necrophage-derived factions calls for Fabian tactics. Never let them get that big engagement they want.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I'm giving Endless Space 2 early access a try. Been trying to figure out the combat system in this game. Can anyone tell me how to move ships to different flotillas? It doesn't seem to let me.

Also I don't suppose there's any information on the scan view during combat. It looks cool but I can't quite figure out what the green/red bars that seem to go up and down mean on the ships.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I'm giving Endless Space 2 early access a try. Been trying to figure out the combat system in this game. Can anyone tell me how to move ships to different flotillas? It doesn't seem to let me.

Without launching the game to check, uh, select the ship/s you want to move (you might have to hold CTRL to select multiple ships) press the New Fleet button (I believe it's a [ + ] ), then select the two fleets you want to merge, holding CTRL, and press the Merge button.

quote:

Also I don't suppose there's any information on the scan view during combat. It looks cool but I can't quite figure out what the green/red bars that seem to go up and down mean on the ships.

AFAIK there's basically no reason to even go into that mode, other than wanting to look at pretty spaceships.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Megazver posted:

Without launching the game to check, uh, select the ship/s you want to move (you might have to hold CTRL to select multiple ships) press the New Fleet button (I believe it's a [ + ] ), then select the two fleets you want to merge, holding CTRL, and press the Merge button.

Hes talking about the in-combat flotillas, not the strategy-level fleets.

Uh... I've never done it but I assume it's in the Advanced tab.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You're getting a lot of unsure advice here, so let me add mine in as well. :v: They showed in the update overview video that somewhere, I think where you set up combat before it starts, you just drag and drop ships into whichever you want.

Megazver posted:

AFAIK there's basically no reason to even go into that mode, other than wanting to look at pretty spaceships.

For this and other scan modes they'll be adding and improving the information available, specifically with the next major update I believe. I think they're meant to provide a quick overview of information you can bring up, with what it's referencing depending on the screen you're on.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Even more "I don't know but I think" :

For splitting one flotilla into two/three, I think there's a minimum number of ships, below which the flotilla can't be split. No idea what the number is, maybe 4 or so?

For the in-battle green & red gauges beside each ship, I think I read someone on the official forum say that one reported outgoing damage, and the other measured incoming damage or incoming damage that had been negated by shields & plating.

I do hope the devs include in the release build a Civilopedia or similar that explains all the stuff on these screens. Most of them are mostly intuitive or labelled, but some definitely need some clarification.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I somehow managed to break my UE game so bad it wont load the game save D:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Endless Space 2 is very pretty and so far fun, would like traveling between constellations to be less torturous though, and the minor factions are cool, but jfc do they spawn way to many pirates.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jack2142 posted:

Endless Space 2 is very pretty and so far fun, would like traveling between constellations to be less torturous though, and the minor factions are cool, but jfc do they spawn way to many pirates.

when you make a new game, you can click on one of the + sign icons on the right and find an option to turn off the pirates. which I recommend you do because they are tuned really poorly imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

uber_stoat posted:

when you make a new game, you can click on one of the + sign icons on the right and find an option to turn off the pirates. which I recommend you do because they are tuned really poorly imo.

Oh yeah I did, just it killed a fun game I had where Cravers went crazy and took over most of the galaxy and me as the United Empire and the frog guys were fighting against them... and a billion pirates