Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bootcha posted:

Hello darkness my old friend, it's good to be with you again.

Goondeyadda parp! :yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beet Wagon posted:

Maybe Frontier could be the first guys in like 20 years to make a good Aliens game.

heard alien Isolation in vr was terrifying but it never came out fore the vive just the dk.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

intardnation posted:

heard alien Isolation in vr was terrifying but it never came out fore the vive just the dk.

I'm super torn on Alien: Isolation. On the one hand you can tell there was an incredible amount of love poured into it - the atmosphere was incredible, and the sound design was super on point. On the other hand, the gameplay and writing felt pretty poo poo to be honest, and let's be real it's basically a reskinned Amnesia. Particularly toward the end, where it seems like everyone on the writing team just stopped trying. Plus the turbonerd in me took exception to the ability to hide from a xenomorph by ducking into a locker or under a table - something that should be impossible. In fact the game only started feeling "realistic" with the difficulty turned all the way up, which made the alien into an omnipotent and angry god, but also had the side effect of making the game frustratingly tedious rather than properly scary and/or fun.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

hello sir

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
I thoroughly enjoyed your videos

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

Maybe Frontier could be the first guys in like 20 years to make a good Aliens game.

Your objections to Isolation aside (it is a good game and you're a big dumb poopyhead for suggesting otherwise, so there), it's worth pointing out that there's a distinct difference between Alien and Aliens. Isolation does the first probably as well as it can be done; the latter has arguably never been done properly. Some of the old Lithtech AvP games might come close, but curiously enough more from the alien's perspective.

With the sandbox/base-building/management craze going on these days, maybe it's time for an Alien³ game instead.

That said… 20 years? AlienTC for Doom was spectacular for its time…

Oh, and welcome back Bootcha. Post recipes, please.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Reddit is officially broken :shrug:

Thanks to whoever I stole the valor from

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

Your objections to Isolation aside (it is a good game and you're a big dumb poopyhead for suggesting otherwise, so there), it's worth pointing out that there's a distinct difference between Alien and Aliens. Isolation does the first probably as well as it can be done; the latter has arguably never been done properly. Some of the old Lithtech AvP games might come close, but curiously enough more from the alien's perspective.

With the sandbox/base-building/management craze going on these days, maybe it's time for an Alien³ game instead.

That said… 20 years? AlienTC for Doom was spectacular for its time…

Oh agreed, I didn't mean to conflate the two, I was just giving my thoughts on the game. And I actually do agree with you I think Isolation captured the feel of the first film in a way that probably can't be beat, all other failings aside. Also since we're talking about good Aliens games I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't mention Acclaim's wonderful but somewhat lazily named "Alien Trilogy" from like 1996(I think?) even if it just falls outside that 20 year range.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I want a new "vs Predator" only the Alien is E.T.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Why would you want to torment the poor predators like that? :(

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I want a new "Aliens" only the aliens are E.T.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They mostly phone at night. Mostly.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh agreed, I didn't mean to conflate the two, I was just giving my thoughts on the game. And I actually do agree with you I think Isolation captured the feel of the first film in a way that probably can't be beat, all other failings aside. Also since we're talking about good Aliens games I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't mention Acclaim's wonderful but somewhat lazily named "Alien Trilogy" from like 1996(I think?) even if it just falls outside that 20 year range.

That Aliens vs Predator SNES beat 'em up is a fond memory.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:thumbsup:

:eng101:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

ManofManyAliases posted:

Anyways, it's in the past now and we're all friends again.

That's a relief. Phew.

Just watched a nice film. Feeling all warm and fuzzies. Why the gently caress are these cultists so retarded that they cannot be seen as human. Even now.

Thanks.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Bootcha posted:

Hello again!

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Hi friends I need some infos.

Is there any instance where Chris Roberts or anyone on the dev team says specifically that 3.0 should of been out last year?

Is there a list somewhere of senior staff who have left in the past while or does anyone have a number of how many?

Is there some sort of graph or chart that shows how many people are playing Elite Dangerous? I know people are playing it but someone is claiming that noone is playing Elite Dangerous.

Also someone is claiming that his cousin is "the lead tech director", anyway to prove that he isn't?

If anyone can help, I love you.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The 3.0 thing is from gamescom or citizencon, whichever had that 3.0 video.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5slg8v/making_wind_tunnel_tests_for_30_planetary_flights/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPDexJ61Y_A

:science:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

Is there any instance where Chris Roberts or anyone on the dev team says specifically that 3.0 should of been out last year?

Is there a list somewhere of senior staff who have left in the past while or does anyone have a number of how many?

Is there some sort of graph or chart that shows how many people are playing Elite Dangerous? I know people are playing it but someone is claiming that noone is playing Elite Dangerous.

Also someone is claiming that his cousin is "the lead tech director", anyway to prove that he isn't?

Doxcat is back :ohdear:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

his nibs posted:

Doxcat is back :ohdear:

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

Goobs posted:

I mean steam graphs says 5,112 people are playing elite dangerous right now

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Yes. And that's why people like us have good (you wouldn't know anything about that) attorneys as a buffer. It's no fun being sued; especially if you're on the defensive right off the bat in trying to justify it. It's a lot of paperwork, aggravation and money. Even if it gets tossed.

HAH. Tier 1 dev AND a comedian. We are certainly graced with your presence.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Throughout the history of the internet people have told themselves "I'm going to be the one that gets into an internet argument with Derek Smart, owns him hardcore and shuts him up once and for all" and every single one that has tried have all gone through with their attempts in exactly the same ways. You've seen it most recently on Reddit with his weird stalky fanclub, or with guys like MoMA. Hell you saw it with Chris Roberts. Now you're seeing it with Batgirl!

He's very clearly still around for a reason you stupid fucks

Holy jesus and almost every single one declares how funny it is to them how they get exactly the response out of Derek they want. That's a loving lie. Anyone who says something like that actually wants him to gently caress off up a tree and never come down again. They want him to stop posting and hope that he goes "Well I won't give you the satisfaction!" and storm off when they try to act like they've master manipulated him into saying exactly what they want. It doesn't work. It's like watching an ever increasing number of people try to put out a fire with their hands, with each one is going "Hah! Those idiots couldn't do it because their hands aren't big enough! Mine are larger and I'm going to spit on them so they're moist! I'll show this fire who's boss!"

HOLY poo poo you are mad.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

intardnation posted:

When I talked with David over beers he was full of praise for Alien Isolation, it was the game he'd spent most time playing at home. But that was 2 years ago.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

DapperDon posted:

Some days I just enjoy kicking the hornets nest.

/ds right now:

wait nvm I just don't know how to use this lovely site.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, it was over the Squadron 42 console discussion. I wrote extensively about that here, along with my spat with her. Shortly after she offered to interview me to get my side of the Star Citizen story. It never happened.

No, an instance is a full session copy of the ENTIRE game. Think of an instance as it's own standalone game copy containing all the clients. In the case of SC, the max client count before it falls over is 16.

So, with their cloud servers (GCE to AWS) they can spin up instances in much the same way that you can setup a game server on any service (e.g. https://www. pingperfect.com)

What croberts has been - hilariously - promising, are "1000 client instances". We're still laughing.

He was also touting "inter-instance" communications between instances (e.g. Instance1 <-> Instance2) in order to form a single cohesive universe. Which of course is patently impossible with modern tech. Heck, not even Eve, let alone Frontier, have been able to do it. So basically players in Instance1, won't be able to see or interact with players in Instance2 - and vice versa.

Those rear end-clowns talking about how a capital ship is going to be its own instance, don't have a loving clue what they're talking about.

Except, inter-instance comm. is coming - 100% guarantee it. Just because you can't figure it out doesn't mean it cannot be done. And, what those idiots on reddit are trying to say is: zoning. There are zones, and others nested within. Etc.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

DapperDon posted:

Some days I just enjoy kicking the hornets nest.

Wasn't that sub supposed to be an archive of Derkisms as they related to SC?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AlmightyPants posted:

You realize that Derek schooled you hard here, right? Like you claimed to have never said something, he puts up your exact post of you saying those very things, and then you try to handwave it away as Derek's word salad? At least fess up that you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar here. I know you're a habitual liar and all, but when confronted with one's own words, trying to blow it off as something else is a little bit disingenuous, don't you think?

Um, no? He made a claim (was either here or on twitter) that he was "walking into a federal building," alluding to some sort of CIG-related inquiry. I said it was for his ticket.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I appreciate this is funny and all but there's at least 5 crossed out faces that still work there, plus a few others I don't recognise so have no clue on.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Do you even have a make it or break it feature for 2017 MoMA? You can also weasel out and say 'netcode'

Sillybones posted:

-----CAT FREE ZONE-----

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

HOLY poo poo you are mad.

:rolleyes:

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Honestly MoMA's posts are getting a bit sad now. Derek has a verbose, belligerent style that obviously rubs some people the wrong way but he has owned MoMA hard on so many levels, and Derek hasn't even gloated about outstanding parking tickets or whatever it was MoMA did to him.

Of course for Derek to do that MoMA would have to be fighting on a level playing field and own up to who he is.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Space Marshal Comedian posted:

HAH. Tier 1 dev AND a comedian. We are certainly graced with your presence.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
:justpost:ToastPost:justpost:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

Except, inter-instance comm. is coming - 100% guarantee it. Just because you can't figure it out doesn't mean it cannot be done. And, what those idiots on reddit are trying to say is: zoning. There are zones, and others nested within. Etc.

Is there any line in the sand you are willing to draw? Where "If X is is not done by Y date" you will start to reassess your assumptions? The point you need to start to ask yourself some hard questions.

You can pick any X or Y you want, you just have to stick to them. Just like how CIG picks their own release schedule and (never) sticks to it.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm not sure what to make of a CS employee of a company posting that.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

A new 100% guarantee quote to save, now I have 2 that are equally likely.