Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Rent video was legit great, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Also, the Loose Canon on Elizabeth 1 and Jack the Ripper are amazing and I want to see more historical characters butchered by media (I'm sorry, I shouldn't use this thread to suggest stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Jenny posted:

Oh God, years of lurking, and this was the thread that finally broke me.

Yes, it is I, the failed Socrates quoter. The irony in this video is that the fact checking was not mine, but my fact checker, which I pay someone to do. The fact that I said "wrote" instead of "allegedly quoted by Plato" was my mistake, not hers, because putting together comprehensive videos like this on a deadline is difficult, and even with multiple eyes on the thing, poo poo still falls through the cracks. Mea culpa. But yeah, you are kind of being an rear end in a top hat.

Because here is the thing, even with professional fact checkers, even if you are working for the New York Times or Washington Post or Vox (which I have, by the by), poo poo still falls through the cracks. This isn't an excuse, it's just reality. And honestly, I'm loving sick of people acting like I'm stupid or cut-rate or like I'm just not loving trying because of one slight misattribution with the budget and timeline I have. Because (for gently caress's sake) I said "wrote" instead of "was attributed as saying". My assistant found the translation, I used the word "wrote", a mountain of nonsense have I gotten from this molehill of word choice. You try never making any mistakes with the timeline I have and a staff of two plus the occasional freelancer when I have graphic work that needs doing.

And yes, I have been poorly lurking in this thread and its progenitor for years. Honestly the original intent was just to complain about Spoony with everyone else, because I actually knew the man and got hosed over by him in real time. I have a lot of anger at my (former) colleagues and I need to vent it somewhere. But at this point I honestly don't give a poo poo. Y'all have a party with my post history. Congrats, Vosgian Beast, you have finally broken me. I salute you.

Because it's poo poo like this that makes me wonder - why do I even loving bother? I could be like Cinema Sins over here and just say whatever and have a million subscibers. I don't need paid researchers, I don't need fact checkers, because I will always gently caress something up, and there will always be That Guy out there who will never let it go (looking at you, various other posters who will not let go of the WEIRDEST poo poo - seriously, did I gently caress your sister or something?) The hyperfocus on the minor mistakes honestly does make me wonder why I even loving bother. This is the age of Trump - we can just say whatever. Hell, I could, and I'd probably get more money. So, really, why bother being factual? Why. loving. bother.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Pirate Jenny posted:

But the truth is I get far more people telling me that I did something good or worthwhile than I do the Vosgian Beasts of the world, and while we're (I'm) bearing our souls tonight, I wish I knew better how to respond to this. I've become so inundated to negativity that I do not know how properly to respond to positivity, even though I know I would do much more good by responding to the positive than the negative. Problem with having your nerves burned away is that you forget how to human.

- Turning a random person on the internet forum the scapegoat for your stress because they made a negative comment about a factual error is poor form for a critic.

- That you and JayO seem to equate The Vosgian Beast's innocuous post with online harassment is disingenuous.

- Vosgian Beast's post was, again, innocuous despite being negative. Coyly and indirectly requesting validation to counter it is silly.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 7, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

- Turning a random person on the internet forum the scapegoat for your stress because they made a snippy comment about a factual error is poor form for a critic.

- That you and JayO seem to equate The Vosgian Beast's innocuous post with online harassment is disingenuous.

- Vosgian Beast's post was, again, innocuous despite being negative. Coyly and indirectly requesting validation to counter it is silly.

BotL, there was a time when I could sorta see where you were coming from.

But this is an Extremely Bad Post, symptomatic of your chronic inability/disinterest when it comes to considering the experiences of People Who Are Not (Like) You online. Women (and those percieved as women) get set upon by a thousand ceasless cuts - some big, some small - whenever they attempt to do ANYTHING creative or critical or expressive.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I think BotL is just stuck in perma devil's advocate mode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If he so badly wants to be a Devil's Advocate, maybe he should relocate to someplace more convenient to that sort of career.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BotL can you please stop being a gas lighting POS? Oh wait I got an idea Man of Steel is still bad film prove me wrong.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the thread would instantly get way better if everyone just put bravestofthelamps and vosgian beast on ignore and never responded to them ever

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

- Turning a random person on the internet forum the scapegoat for your stress because they made a snippy comment about a factual error is poor form for a critic.

OH FOR gently caress’S SAKE

Lamps, are you an expert at anything, anything at all? Because I am. I’m a lawyer. Sometimes I make mistakes but I’m a hell of a lot more likely to be right about the law than someone who isn’t a lawyer. And do you know what happens when a non-lawyer tries to disregard my expertise in favor of whatever garbage they feel like believing? I get mad!

That’s why I completely understand why Pirate Jenny made the post she did. She’s an expert here, and I suspect that she looks upon a lot of us like I look at the schmucks on Reddit who think they can get away with selling “research chemicals” to “scientists.” So it’s not surprising to me at all that she’s incredibly frustrated that she’s not being taken seriously. Maybe it’s because she’s a woman, maybe it’s because the Internet rewards poo poo, and maybe it’s because expertise is dead. In any event, I see nothing wrong with her post.

Accusations of white knighting in 3…2…1…

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

On the subject of factual corrections, it is good to be reminded you are fallible once in a while. I got caught on a factual error where I relied on memory when 10 seconds on the internet would have told me the reverse. Once you get picked up on a factual error it makes you up your game. So it does fall into the area of useful criticism. If you get burned once you tend to be a lot more cautious.

also

Alaois posted:

please don't respond to bravest of the lamps

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Cubey posted:

the thread would instantly get way better if everyone just put bravestofthelamps and vosgian beast on ignore and never responded to them ever

:yeah:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Cubey posted:

At last, a core principle that unites us all!

:glomp:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Lamps is an expert in being a Fishmech without awareness, jokes, the "smartest kid ever" award or a worthwhile skill besides smug

Why anyone on any forum has ever listened to a babbled syllable out of his mouth deludes me to this day.

He's also a twitch-wristed baby when it comes to his avatar.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I don't like anyone but Augus.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
The latest Kim Justice bio-doc on Gremlin is really good especially if you like obscure English game history.

I find it strange that Australia never really got many of the games Kim talks about despite that my country tends to import most of its culture from the motherland. I guess many of them were basement coders in a time before the internet made distribution easy but even so. I've been gaming since the mid eighties and I don't think I have ever even seen a Spectrum before. My school had BBC Micros and Acorns though.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Playstation 4 posted:

He's also a twitch-wristed baby when it comes to his avatar.

Take it from the person whose last two avatars have been the best on the forum.

[Also the person whose last two avatars have reminded me that I really need to finish Plnet Robobot.]

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 7, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To get things back on topic a bit, here's a new Strip Panel Naked for anybody that cares about comics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVwoCj5YUE

This time talking about Deadly Class.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jay O posted:

it'd be better if y'all had a mod

Yeah, that would be nice. I wonder what happened to them all?

Oh. Right. :smith:

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Pirate Jenny posted:

So the cynic in me wants to turn this into okay, I'll fade back into the ether, but...

See... I feel like I also need to acknowledge stuff like this, as well. There wouldn't need to be a "don't touch the poop" nonsense if there wasn't some need to protect ourselves. And personally? I don't care. At this point, I don't see what I have to lose by defending myself.

But the truth is I get far more people telling me that I did something good or worthwhile than I do the Vosgian Beasts of the world, and while we're (I'm) bearing our souls tonight, I wish I knew better how to respond to this. I've become so inundated to negativity that I do not know how properly to respond to positivity, even though I know I would do much more good by responding to the positive than the negative. Problem with having your nerves burned away is that you forget how to human.

Oh hey look a bucket of sloths! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0V_D4zaEpU

Just knowing you appreciate it is pretty good.

Not sure if I mentioned how much I liked the Rent video in this thread, but I liked it a lot. I still think Mark is disproportionately worse than any of the others, though.

I think the Socrates stuff was nitpicking, since you'd just have to add an annotation to the video at most.

kaleidolia fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 7, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The internet makes us all into our own worst selves. There's something about the mix of total privacy when posting to a public place that our ape brains can't handle very well. How many times should I have posted in this thread? Like five. How many times have I posted in this thread? Way more than five.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cubey posted:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

The problem with this thread is not - and never has been - moderation or lack of it. It is an absence of people willing to banter, shrug stuff off, make jokes, shoot poo poo.

Compare this thread to almost any other outside of DnD and you'll see there are so fewer images, gifs and emoticons there are. Yeah, pics =/= humour but the absence of them indicates a general uptightness in this thread. The subjects of videos linked aren't always comic or pop culture but take a leaf out of C-SPAM's book.

The problem in this thread is the posters. (E: I mean the posting culture.)

The last thing we need is more posters bugging moderators about "he said, she said", arbitrating on matters of detail and policing other people's pronouns

Lighten up.

E: If VB or BOTL bug you, put them on ignore or mock them, don't report them (unless they are actually breaking a rule). I don't agree with Mr Bibbs, Monsieur Choc and HBomb but they've got some humour and can shrug stuff off things and not be prickly about it.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 7, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd say the issue is more fundamental - this thread is for discussing people who publicly post their opinions on the Internet. It's inevitable that at least some of those opinions will be ones that posters in this thread will feel strongly about - art is, after all, created with the goal of provoking an emotional reaction, and often serves as a way to explore real-life topics at a safe remove. Criticism takes away some of that distance - the moment you ask 'but what does this actually mean?', you're bringing a piece of crafted imagination back towards reality. It's hard to discuss, say, Team America World Police without the context of the War On Terror, which had significant real-life impact on a bunch of folks.

I should clarify here that I don't have a beef with this, and see criticism of art as interesting and useful, but people getting emotional about all this is pretty inherent to the topic.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

You can have plenty of debates and disagreements about that poo poo without completely derailing the thread over the absolute dumbest, most minute nitpicky poo poo possible. And it's really only a few posters who do exactly that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
remember that this thread started out with us watching people make jokes about movies

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
They were just a couple of Critics who came to Ishtar to break into showbusiness.

Chez Lindsay is top tier imho. Lindsay and Kyle are two of the best examples of Critics who never stop growing/improving and you can see it from the very start of the Nostalgia Critic era up until now. Shine on you pawns!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

But this is an Extremely Bad Post, symptomatic of your chronic inability/disinterest when it comes to considering the experiences of People Who Are Not (Like) You online. Women (and those percieved as women) get set upon by a thousand ceasless cuts - some big, some small - whenever they attempt to do ANYTHING creative or critical or expressive.

I am aware of that. I understand the harassment or hostility that happen online, have no habit of discounting or denying it, and people who face it have my sympathy and support even If I don't express it. What puts me off is the particulars of calling out Vosgian Beast out for it. Especially when he was responding to my much smugger and more condemnatory post, which is why I feel responsible. Even with all that context, it seemed very disproportionate to me.

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd say the issue is more fundamental - this thread is for discussing people who publicly post their opinions on the Internet. It's inevitable that at least some of those opinions will be ones that posters in this thread will feel strongly about - art is, after all, created with the goal of provoking an emotional reaction, and often serves as a way to explore real-life topics at a safe remove. Criticism takes away some of that distance - the moment you ask 'but what does this actually mean?', you're bringing a piece of crafted imagination back towards reality. It's hard to discuss, say, Team America World Police without the context of the War On Terror, which had significant real-life impact on a bunch of folks.

I should clarify here that I don't have a beef with this, and see criticism of art as interesting and useful, but people getting emotional about all this is pretty inherent to the topic.

The posting here tends to spiral into people detailing their grievances with a property or person. I'm not exempt from it. Ignoring me won't fix it, because it's a reflection of internet critic culture itself. This culture is always torn between mutually exclusive poles of fandom and criticism. One demands entertainment and conformity, the other demands dreary professionalism and detachment, so the discourse it creates is always going to lead to conflict. Internet critics themselves tend to be either motivated by dissatisfaction or anger, or just perform it.

Anyway, here's a image people told me is funny to brighten things up.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 7, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Really, the fact that people who keep growing and learning and sharpening their skills get poo poo and feel doubt while Doug Walker just looks at whatever garbage he just poo poo out and kisses his fingers with a Chef Boyardee *muah* and genuinely thinks it's great is a true cosmic injustice.

I've said it before, but the best part of this thread is seeing so many of the Channel Awesome diaspora ditch the 2005 gimmicks and summary-plus-jokes approach and really come into their own identities and methods.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Meanwhile Todd still has audio level issues and his pop song reviews are increasingly meh. I'd be OK if he stuck to OHW and bad pop star movie reviews instead and only talked about current pop songs if a really amazingly bad one like Wiggle or Drive-By popped up.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

Really, the fact that people who keep growing and learning and sharpening their skills get poo poo and feel doubt while Doug Walker just looks at whatever garbage he just poo poo out and kisses his fingers with a Chef Boyardee *muah* and genuinely thinks it's great is a true cosmic injustice.

I've said it before, but the best part of this thread is seeing so many of the Channel Awesome diaspora ditch the 2005 gimmicks and summary-plus-jokes approach and really come into their own identities and methods.

That kind of higher scrutiny I think may be a side effect of that growth. I don't think doug has to worry about his Socrates quotes getting jumped on by one of his fans.

And since we're sticking on Plato, didn't Plato's republic have a bunch of proto-feminist stuff, saying poo poo like all government positions should be open to women as well as men etc, and saying there should be no slaves? I remember seeing this compared to Aristotle who said that slaves should be like living tools.

Granted I know next to nothing about Plato and Socrates, but I do know that Plato was supposedly one of Socrates' students and wrote a lot of stuff that is 'attributed' to him. And that Plato often gets a bad rep compared to Aristotle.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Granted I know next to nothing about Plato and Socrates, but I do know that Plato was supposedly one of Socrates' students and wrote a lot of stuff that is 'attributed' to him.

There's no question about Plato being Socrates's student. Socrates was an influential and public figure with lots of students who'd go on to become famous.

There is no surviving writing by Socrates, if there ever was any. Everything we know of his philosophy comes second hand, and the problem is that we can't tell exactly where Socrates's philosophy ends and that of his students/contemporaries starts. Plato's philosophical texts were in the form of literary dialogues where Socrates is the protagonist. So it's extremely difficult to say what's Plato writing down Socrates' ideas and what's PLato articulating his own ideas through Socrates. In one dialogue Socrates criticizes writing as a bad medium for rhetoric, but Plato on the other hand seemed perfectly happy to write down his thoughts. It might be one of Socrates's authentic thoughts, and would suggest why he didn't leave behind any texts.

Plato's DIalogues are a great read though and I wholeheartedly recommend them. They're all fairly entertaining stories whose literary and philosophical qualities are inseparable.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 23, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

financially racist posted:

But then wherever will we get the hot takes of Vosgian Beast and bravestofthelamps? Outside of my toilet bowl of course

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 7, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Testekill posted:

But then where will we get really lovely opinions?

the comment sections of hbomberguy videos

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Testekill posted:

But then where will we get really lovely opinions?

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

the comment sections of hbomberguy videos

He just needs to talk about an Alt Right person again

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

There's no question about Plato being Socrates's student. Socrates was an influential and public figure with lots of students who'd go on to become famous.

There is no surviving writing by Socrates, if there ever was any. Everything we know of his philosophy comes second hand, and the problem is that we can't tell exactly where Socrates's philosophy ends and that of his students/contemporaries starts. Plato's philosophical texts were in the form of literary dialogues where Socrates is the protagonist. We don't know exactly what is Socrates' ideas and what is Plato speaking his ideas through Socrates. In one dialogue Socrates criticizes writing since as a bad medium for rhetoric. Plato on the other hand seemed perfectly happy to write down his thoughts, so it might be one of Socrates's authentic thoughts, and would suggest why he didn't leave behind any texts.

Plato's DIalogues are a great read though and I wholeheartedly recommend them. They're all fairly entertaining stories whose literary and philosophical qualities are inseparable.

Ah yes! My phil101 class is all coming back now!

Though that does make me wonder just how often Plato would put words in Socrates' mouth that are purposefully at odds with Plato's own philosophy. Specifically re: women if the claims I read about his proto-feminist republic are true.

Though like I said I don't really know nothing about anything I'm talking about. Which is why I'm pleased to anounce that all my posts are actually in character as 'the post critic', which means anything you don't like is just part of the character and not my fault.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. It wasn't intended as a personal insult.

TBH my cat of 14 years died yesterday and I guess I needed something to focus on instead of crying. This has been an odd week.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Count me in as one of the posters that stopped bothering to participate in this thread due to the constant arguing and cyclical nature of the same poo poo coming up.
In general nobody is perfect but unlike the early CA type reviewers and modern day "comedy" channels most critics I like all seem to actively try to improve, putting you leagues above others.
Also Lindsey as a European your twitter feed is fascinating at times. P.S. I need more baywatching Lupa

Meanwhile Todd still has audio level issues and his pop song reviews are increasingly meh. I'd be OK if he stuck to OHW and bad pop star movie reviews instead and only talked about current pop songs if a really amazingly bad one like Wiggle or Drive-By popped up.
I think the "problem" with Todd is more that his current day pop reviews are meant to be comical over in dept critique, whereas OHW and the other stuff is relatively serious. They are both hosted and presented in the same way which makes the contrast between them a bit odd at times.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Zedd posted:

Count me in as one of the posters that stopped bothering to participate in this thread due to the constant arguing and cyclical nature of the same poo poo coming up.

Same. Oddly enough this thread is how I found SA back in 2012. I stopped posting in it because it... got a lot less chill over the years, putting it nicely.

Zedd posted:

In general nobody is perfect but unlike the early CA type reviewers and modern day "comedy" channels most critics I like all seem to actively try to improve, putting you leagues above others.

I think the hack frauds at RLM did a lot to raise the bar on making silly videos for youtube. The feature-length Phantom Menace review was a real game-changer. I'm glad a lot of the people I enjoy have worked to rise to the challenge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering it was me being a petulant rear end in a top hat that managed to get the last thread gassed years ago for whining about critics and their personal lives, I just try to avoid the drama derails and find new videos in the vain attempt to steer conversation away from the toxic and focus on cool stuff.

While we're out talking though, I do have to thank kyle for his Summer of Shakespeare series. I'm taking a full year Shakespeare course at the moment and your videos have been an excellent resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

TBH my cat of 14 years died yesterday and I guess I needed something to focus on instead of crying. This has been an odd week.

Man, don't sit around on the internet when you're grieving! That's like the worst decision ever. Go consume cute media or hang out with loved ones.

re: drama tendencies, I'm OK when they're about the media being criticized- that just seems like a given- but there is a tendency for people to just get stuck on an argument. Maybe if there are a lot of people dogpiling one poster, that poster should sit back and really evaluate whether they need to continue, if only because there's clearly no effective communication going on. (Probably the dogpilers, too.) Most of the time, if you just sit on your hands and let the thread move on, everyone will forget that you even posted and you can go back to not getting mad on the internet.

Like, take it from someone with actual medicated obsessive tendencies, that is really the healthiest route.

• Locked thread