Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

William Hurt and younger Donald Sutherland. Also the guy who did all those 90s A&E crime shows.

Bill Curtis!

fake edit: excuse me, Kurtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel the same way about Stacey Keach.

Michael O'Hare and Andre Braugher, for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel the same way about Stacey Keach.

I haven't listened to any of them but he apparently did a bunch of Hemingway audiobooks which sounds just perfect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never really liked any M. Night Shyamalan movie much (Unbreakable was okay, I guess).

But I have to say, The Visit (on HBO Go/Now) is... actually... uh... legitimately brilliant? Like, seriously. Even the twist was great. Using the daughter as a mouthpiece to :words: about film theory was kind of smug, but other than that I have like zero complaints, it's absolutely amazing and genuinely scary.

It's so weird to think it was even made by the same guy who thought Lady in the Water and The Happening should exist.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only thing I hated about the Visit was the boy. He was just so drat annoying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I loved both kids.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah they were both great.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

precision posted:

I've never really liked any M. Night Shyamalan movie much (Unbreakable was okay, I guess).

But I have to say, The Visit (on HBO Go/Now) is... actually... uh... legitimately brilliant? Like, seriously. Even the twist was great. Using the daughter as a mouthpiece to :words: about film theory was kind of smug, but other than that I have like zero complaints, it's absolutely amazing and genuinely scary.

It's so weird to think it was even made by the same guy who thought Lady in the Water and The Happening should exist.

I agree with this, The Visit was surprisingly really good. It was kind of fascinating because I don't think I've ever found something simultaneously creepy and funny before but that movie pulled it off.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I just caught this film called Neon Bull on Netflix streaming. I'm sure it's available through other means since it's out through Kino Lorber in the West, but drat if it isn't a fine film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Tt_HuOfXY

Edit:

Also, check out I Am Not a Serial Killer.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 6, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nihonniboku posted:

In case you guys were watching, Netflix's new Drew Barrymore show The Santa Clarita Diet is terrible. I don't think I"m even halfway through the first episode, and I want to turn it off.

It's actually fantastic and I came here to recommend it. The humor is simultaneously quirky and macabre. If you've enjoyed shows like Pushing Daisies in the past then this will be right up your alley. Barrymore and Olyphant have fantastic chemistry.

If you've ever lived in the area it is a must see. They do a fantastic job skewering Santa Clarita. Having worked for realtors there, everything is totally accurate about all of these people. For example: pronouncing realtor "re-la-tor". :laugh:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Seconding that.

It's a suburban keeping-up-appearances dark comedy and Timothy Olyphants barely-suppressed panicked mania is what sells it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Amazon Prime has a bunch of Vinegar Syndrome releases up.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I watched the first episode of Powerless on Hulu and it was fun and campy enough that I'll probably keep watching.

I had a little time to kill after that so I decided to give one of DC's CW shows a chance and put on Legends of Tomorrow. I couldn't make it more than 10 or 15 minutes in. Is this what all of DC's CW-verse is like? I don't think I've seen a positive review for Flash or Green Arrow that wasn't riddled with caveats. I'm fine with shows being cheesy, but they can't be cheesy and take themselves seriously at the same time and that's how the show struck me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ElMudo posted:

I watched the first episode of Powerless on Hulu and it was fun and campy enough that I'll probably keep watching.

I had a little time to kill after that so I decided to give one of DC's CW shows a chance and put on Legends of Tomorrow. I couldn't make it more than 10 or 15 minutes in. Is this what all of DC's CW-verse is like? I don't think I've seen a positive review for Flash or Green Arrow that wasn't riddled with caveats. I'm fine with shows being cheesy, but they can't be cheesy and take themselves seriously at the same time and that's how the show struck me.

All of the CW shows still have that CW quality that can be a turn-off for a lot of people, yea. Pretty faces that are very mediocre actors, unnecessarily sappy romance plots, low budgets combined with overambitious action scenes, etc.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Basebf555 posted:

All of the CW shows still have that CW quality that can be a turn-off for a lot of people, yea. Pretty faces that are very mediocre actors, unnecessarily sappy romance plots, low budgets combined with overambitious action scenes, etc.

Somehow I'm fine with those things in The 100; Legends of Tomorrow felt like I was watching One Tree Hill.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I enjoy The Flash. I like all the actors and the characters they're portraying and the soap opera bullshit doesn't seem as egregious as Arrow. I dunno, I just take it as a live action Dragon Ball Z.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I agree that The Flash is pretty good. I'm also a big fan of Supergirl.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I enjoy The Flash. I like all the actors and the characters they're portraying and the soap opera bullshit doesn't seem as egregious as Arrow. I dunno, I just take it as a live action Dragon Ball Z.

Its kinda cyclical. Like, for a while Arrow was the absolute worst with the soap opera crap, then it got a lot better for about a season and a half, then it got worse again. The Flash has gone through cycles like that too, where the stupid will they/won't they romance plot with Barry and Iris almost brings down the whole show.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Basebf555 posted:

Its kinda cyclical. Like, for a while Arrow was the absolute worst with the soap opera crap, then it got a lot better for about a season and a half, then it got worse again. The Flash has gone through cycles like that too, where the stupid will they/won't they romance plot with Barry and Iris almost brings down the whole show.

It's pretty much the same fault that all 20+ episode per season hour long dramas have. I'm not sure any show could stay consistent having to keep up that output.

Out of curiosity -- when did Arrow get better? I gave up towards the end of season 3. Crushed under the weight of the endless flashbacks that could have been fully excised.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ElMudo posted:

Legends of Tomorrow Season 1 is awful because it tries to be a serious show. In Season 2 they said "Wait we're a ridiculous comic book show let's embrace it fully" and it's been amazing and campy. Just a few weeks ago they had to go back in time and help inspire George Lucas to make Star Wars

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Basebf555 posted:

I couldn't deal with Arrow anymore after a certain point in season 4. When the villain is the only reason you're watching the show, yeah, uh, it's time to quit. My decision seemed affirmed when I heard who they killed off. Other fans were, if not happy, okay with it, but the character at that point happened to be one of my favorites on the show (only semi-ironically), so, uh, gently caress Arrow.
The Flash, I'm meaning to catch up with the second season, which I dropped as well, but more because it was my last two quarters at school, and all the superhero shows I was watching were distracting. Plus, it was a bit bogged down, and Barry was being a miserable shithead. but the wacky-rear end things I've heard about the back half of season 2 make it sound worth catching up. like, they went full Star Trek Mirror Universe or something? lol. Legends of Tomorrow, I didn't make it far into the first season. Vandal Savage's actor SUUUUUUCKED. The Hawkpeople sucked. Rip sucked. really only Stein, Sarah, and Snart made it worth watching at all. It seemed kinda obvious, too, that most of the season they'd be in a holding pattern trying to take on Savage, two steps forward two steps back. And I could see how the continual failures and fuckups would get too frustrating.

Supergirl is good. It doesn't have the highs of Arrow or Flash at their best, but it doesn't have the lows either, give or take a Red Tornado. It has the strongest supporting cast, acting-wise, of any of the shows, though it lost two of its best characters after the first season. It also has a villain problem, in that it hasn't, to date, come up with a straight-up villain as effective as Merlyn, Deathstroke, or Reverse Flash. It's also been doing a few strange things this season, and it has no idea what to do with Supergirl's love life (though, to its credit, it's consistent with her personality that she's a great superhero and totally, wildly incompetent at romance). But it also revealed that a major character is gay, in a way that made total sense and didn't seem like a retcon or something that radically changes our understanding of the character. And that plotline has been going gangbusters.

Supergirl pitch: come for Supergirl, stay for Martian Manhunter & Alex Danvers. :allears:

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

ElMudo posted:

I'm fine with shows being cheesy, but they can't be cheesy and take themselves seriously at the same time and that's how the show struck me.

What? Have you never seen a soap opera? This describes all of them.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
legends of tomorrow season one is steaming garbage that i only watched for the romance between leonard snart and mick rory and now that snart is dead i have no reason to watch the show anymore

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chichevache posted:

It's actually fantastic and I came here to recommend it. The humor is simultaneously quirky and macabre. If you've enjoyed shows like Pushing Daisies in the past then this will be right up your alley. Barrymore and Olyphant have fantastic chemistry.

If you've ever lived in the area it is a must see. They do a fantastic job skewering Santa Clarita. Having worked for realtors there, everything is totally accurate about all of these people. For example: pronouncing realtor "re-la-tor". :laugh:

I kind of feel like it's a show people are either gonna love or hate. If you can put up with the entire cast being giant infuriating assholes, and aren't totally tired of zombies, you'll probably dig it. I, unfortunately, hate shows with nothing but rear end in a top hat characters, and am very tired of zombies.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Dragonshirt posted:

What? Have you never seen a soap opera? This describes all of them.

Actually, I haven't. Except Sons of Anarchy.

I suppose it can be done well, but the show felt like it should be way campier based on the costumes and bad acting and instead they seemed to be trying to play it straight. I was expecting more of a 60s Batman feel. But this was just my impression from 10-15 minutes of the show, I could have been reading it all wrong.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

ElMudo posted:

I'm the exact opposite. I'd much rather they take themselves seriously and just embrace being a melodramatic low budget sci fi show than a melodramatic low budget sci fi show that winks at the audience the whole time to tell you they think this is lame as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you're sick or just generally down for 8+ hours of something, the 30 for 30 OJ: Made in America is on Hulu now. Honestly I think a couple hours could have been cut without losing much, especially in the early parts, but goddamn the last 4-5 hours are nonstop and amazing (pretty much as soon as they get to the trial and then the aftermath).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
How good is The People Vs. OJ that just got added? I didn't follow it when it aired, and I was too young to know anything about the case other than what seeps through cultural osmosis.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Franchescanado posted:

How good is The People Vs. OJ that just got added? I didn't follow it when it aired, and I was too young to know anything about the case other than what seeps through cultural osmosis.

I thought it was worth a watch.

I also remember making Judge Ito jokes on the playground in elementary school. It was a weird time.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I thought it was worth a watch.

I also remember making Judge Ito jokes on the playground in elementary school. It was a weird time.

Remember the dancing Itos? I remember the dancing Itos.

Hey kids, once there were dancing Itos. They were invented by a large chin that had a car and Canadian tuxedo fetish.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

American Crime Story is extremely, extremely good. I binged it a few nights ago, after watching it when it aired, and it was just as great the second time (maybe better since it's something that really sucked having to wait a week between episodes)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The People Vs. OJ Simpson is great, but I think it benefits from watching OJ: Made in America first, especially if you're rusty on the details of the case. A lot of the stuff that may seem pretty wild-rear end in the context of a drama series is actually true, and in some cases even feels toned down from reality, plus it's fun to see how accurate or not some of the portrayals are.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The People Vs. OJ Simpson is great, but I think it benefits from watching OJ: Made in America first, especially if you're rusty on the details of the case. A lot of the stuff that may seem pretty wild-rear end in the context of a drama series is actually true, and in some cases even feels toned down from reality, plus it's fun to see how accurate or not some of the portrayals are.

I watched it in the reverse order, being too young to have known really anything about the OJ trials besides him doing it, and I really enjoyed it that way. Not knowing what happened and seeing the TV show play up just how loving ridiculous some of the stuff was helped me take it in, and then the documentary gave me the dose of what really happened, and what it was really like.

They're both really excellent though. Every actor in American Crime Story is giving it their all and it really elevates the show.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How is the HBO show The Young Pope? I watched the first episode and it seemed good, the first half of that episode basically being a creepy acid trip. The filmography is great but I wonder if the story holds up over the season? So far it is just an American being rude and omnipotent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blind Rasputin posted:

How is the HBO show The Young Pope? I watched the first episode and it seemed good, the first half of that episode basically being a creepy acid trip. The filmography is great but I wonder if the story holds up over the season? So far it is just an American being rude and omnipotent.

Believe it or not, the show actually gets much better as it goes on, particularly around episodes 4-5. It's utterly fantastic.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

Believe it or not, the show actually gets much better as it goes on, particularly around episodes 4-5. It's utterly fantastic.

Agree completely. Watch it Rasputin, it's wild.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I watched it in the reverse order, being too young to have known really anything about the OJ trials besides him doing it, and I really enjoyed it that way. Not knowing what happened and seeing the TV show play up just how loving ridiculous some of the stuff was helped me take it in, and then the documentary gave me the dose of what really happened, and what it was really like.

They're both really excellent though. Every actor in American Crime Story is giving it their all and it really elevates the show.

Yeah I can see it playing that way. I was actually worried that The People Vs. OJ would be underwhelming after having just watched a seven hour documentary on the subject, but it totally wasn't.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I kind of feel like it's a show people are either gonna love or hate. If you can put up with the entire cast being giant infuriating assholes, and aren't totally tired of zombies, you'll probably dig it. I, unfortunately, hate shows with nothing but rear end in a top hat characters, and am very tired of zombies.

Everyone in Santa Clarita really is an rear end in a top hat.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chichevache posted:

Everyone in Santa Clarita really is an rear end in a top hat.

It may be accurate, but it doesn't make for good television, is the thing.

It's also possible to make a character a sympathetic rear end in a top hat. Out of the main cast of Always Sunny, all five are horrible people, but they all have some sort of fundamental humanity that makes them relatable in spite of their actions. Mac is an easily-manipulated idiot who tries his best, but is frankly too stupid and too mired in horrible regressive bullshit to do good. Charlie, similarly, except instead of stupidity and right-wing nonsense it's an extremely tenuous grasp on reality. Dee is self-centered, but primarily because she's insecure about the place in life she's at, and desperate to make her lot better. Frank struggles with his age keeping him from really being the person he wants to be. Dennis is the least sympathetic character and even he struggles with the fact that he's not even close to being the person he wants to be. These are all relatable, human things that make the characters feel like people.

Santa Clarita Diet seems to go in the opposite direction. The cast consists of complete impulsive assholes who genuinely do not care if they ruin the lives of everyone around them, and also Timothy Olyphant as Cyril Figgis from Archer (i.e. the most ineffectual, spineless person on planet Earth). It needs a heart, and the writers seemed to think that meant literal human hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I also didn't like Santa Clarita Diet. I got partway through the second episode and bailed. I don't care about the characters or plot and the jokes weren't especially funny or even clever. With Santa Clarita Diet it seems like Netflix maybe let the creepy peeping algorithm that picks the kind of shows they greenlight branch out into creating and writing. Hard pass.