Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Khorne posted:

Also, re: $/week grocery chat, I spend around $80/wk including water, whey, but I could drop it to $65 or so and regularly do by cutting greek yogurt and buying meats that are on sale. I could probably drop it more by buying a filter for my lead-piped house, going to bargain gorcery stores and buying in larger quantities, but I share my fridge/freezer space and also don't care about my current grocery bill much. I try to keep it around $10/day but cashews, eating out twice per week, greek yogurt shatter this.

My SO has celiac. He accidentally ingested some gluten at work (it doesn't take very much) and got glutened, which means his intestinal linings were irritated and shed, like a bad sunburn. While regrowing new intestinal liners, he is restricted to a very small diet. He needed chicken broth, so I got some. But it had to be certified gluten free. Store brand-$1.79, national brand, $2.49, certified gluten free--$4.99. He needed toast, so certified gluten free bread has to be found, which is a loaf about 1/3 the size of a regular one and is $5.99/loaf. The slices are about half the size of regular bread, too, so you end up toasting more slices than you would otherwise. A loaf doesn't last long. At least they're meant to be frozen, so that you can get several at once.

Having to live gluten-free sucks. I'll be damned if I can see why anyone would deliberately do it if they didn't have to.

Anyway, you've been teasing us with Horse Armageddon. I want to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
My [25/F] BF [26/M] will earn more than me and it's humilliating

quote:

Hello, guys. First time poster. This won't take long, I promise.

I graduated three years ago from a prestigious university and in my career it takes time to take off before you can actually make decent money. I pushed myself a lot to graduate in the five years it takes and did it with good grades, but getting a job is really hard here if you're not an engineer or work at a hospital, specially when you're young. These last three years I've been working at different companies, always earning a lot less than an average professional because my career is not exactly traditional and I don't have enough experience to apply to well-paid jobs, but I've kept pushing, improving my CV and my academic background - last year I started an MA, hoping it will help me get a respectable job or at least get more clients. I've kept myself at a boring and unsatisfactory administrative post where I feel disrespected on a daily basis just because it gives me enough time to study and money to pay for my expenses. I live alone and pay for everything, even though my mum gives me money "to have a little extra". I also pay for my studies and it consumes a third of what I earn. I make enough to cover my expenses and some extras, have no debts, but can't afford much more. That's my life.

And then we have my bf. We've been together for two years or so. The dude's an engineer. He graduated recently, after 8 years. Has never worked (just 2 internships) and his family has a nice situation and can afford to give him money any time he needs it. He's not a spoiled brat, though. He's currently looking for a job... and what bugs me is that he WILL make more money than me.

I always knew there was no way I could earn as much as he does after graduating... but I've been three years in the market and still can't reach his level of income! Not even a second degree ensures I will reach him. I've tried to accept it and assume it was my fault for not studying something more traditional, but every-single-time he starts talking about the future, I feel the little sting of humilliation in the back of my neck. I've always been proud of my intelligence and determination, yet those have not translated into a nice and well-paid job. I graduated three years before, yet I can't apply for a job that doubles my income, as his will. Nothing I do seems to balance things out. I've grown used to be independent and do everything by myself, and I hate to think about sharing my life with someone who doubles my income and pays for me when I can't. Yeah, we can split... until I'm able to pay. Then what?

Worse part? Everybody says "he's a good catch". Yeah, if you want a guy to pay for your stuff. I'm not like that. I don't even like getting presents. I'm lucky he's such a good guy, not for him being a wallet to pay for me. I hate when they normalise it and assume all women want a guy to pay for them. It's not like that.

tl;dr: I graduated before my BF and he will earn more than me. I feel humilliated, because nothing I do translates into a better income and I don't want to depend on him.
This woman also has a beautiful history on r/childfree:

quote:

This. Completely. I dislike the whole pregnancy process because I feel it's totally brutal and dehumanising. I dislike pregnant women and their lack of substance when talking (I remember that kind of stupid conversation about how big their bellies are, how strong the baby kicks and stuff like that from my teachers and cousins. Lucky me, none of my friends has ever had a kid). I dislike their giant pregnancy bellies, particularly because there is a loving living thing inside, eating through her - how gross is that? It's even grosser than having a loving taenia because it comes out of you through your vagina! And it has to keep living afterwards! I dislike the idea of a thing sucking your nutrients from you and forcing you to eat even when you don't feel like it (eating while feeling nauseous? No thanks, let me sleep). I can't even tolerate the sight of a tiny ball of flesh sucking on a woman's breasts, like she's a big bag of milk only there to feed it.

I get it, women's bodies are made for breeding... but I can't stand it. It's just plain disgusting.

And I won't even refer to post-pregnancy body and the hypocrite "love yourself" speech. Yeah, love your ruined body, but only if you had kids. If you're naturally good-looking, you're not supposed to make public your love to yourself.

Yuck.
wow :allears:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Khazar-khum posted:

his intestinal linings were irritated and shed, like a bad sunburn. While regrowing new intestinal liners, he is restricted to a very small diet.

Ceoliac runs in my family (including
me) and I have never heard this before in my life what the gently caress

Is this a specific auto immune reaction your bf got stuck with? Does he poo poo out his intestinal lining instead of just loving em up for a bit? :stare:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The dude with his ex hiding under the bed is a goddamn loving saint for not immediately booking it over to the police station and fighting for a restraining order/pressing charges. Holy poo poo. I guess I can understand not wanting to involve himself with a potential court case and all that jazz, but I would be absolutely sure that woman knows what she did was hosed up to the highest degree in his shoes. :catstare:

It's endlessly more hosed when framing it as his ex having violated the privacy, safety, and overall well-being of another unrelated person too.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 7, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Nothing's going to fix her being this full of herself, she might as well dump him and get lots of cats sooner rather than later.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Anytime a non-parachute account posts in r/relationships I check their profile for r/childfree or r/The_Donald. I rarely come back empty handed.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

:psyduck:

the part where she's worried about not out-earning her boyfriend but keeps going back to college to pay for more degrees in her low earning profession is unbelievably dumb

also, you're a DINK couple why in the gently caress are you fighting/worrying about money, this resource you have an infinite amount of?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mirthless posted:

the part where she's worried about not out-earning her boyfriend but keeps going back to college to pay for more degrees in her low earning profession is unbelievably dumb

also, you're a DINK couple why in the gently caress are you fighting/worrying about money, this resource you have an infinite amount of?

Her parents hosed her up.

quote:

I know. My parents raised to be ridiculously independent, and part of it comes from my dad's own regrets, as he went from job to job and didn't want me to end up like him (or like my mum). They were always pushing me to get better marks, to study more, to be a better person... yet in the end, I'm never satisfied with anything I do because I push myself too much. Sometimes I think about everything I've accomplished and know I should value my life a lot more - I moved out at 18, finished university at 22, got my first job at 23 and have been living by my own for years. Those are things I've accomplished by myself and should feel more proud about them, but then I remember my career, as fulfilling as it is, still doesn't pay off and I still have a long way to be the one I want. I demand a lot from myself because I always believed I could achieve my goals with hard work and dedication, and need to accept that, at least where I live, that's not how things work. I've already talked about this on therapy and it's something I have to solve.
Thanks for your advice

quote:

I guess my parents did a GREAT job at convincing me that I can (and have to) do all by myself and that I don't need a man (seriously, dad always told me "your duty in life is to work just for you, 'cause you MUST be able to kick the bastard out of YOUR house if he dares disrespect you". No kidding).

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

54 40 or gently caress posted:

That's who I was thinking of when people were questioning authenticity hahaha.

Man, can you imagine going bonkers over a relationship like this, but still be sane enough that your plans show forethought and logical reasoning? It must be figuratively insane to be this particularly, literally insane.

Like "I hope he likes his boiled pet rabbit, it was a real bitch of time to drag this camping cooktop and butane canister all the way up through the fire escape. I had to leave early enough to be unobserved by passersby, yet not early enough to arouse suspicion. The people in my head sure had a point with failing to plan and planning to fail. Well done us."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mirthless posted:

because her SCORE will be LOWER

WampaLord posted:

it sounds like massive overinvestment in education notwithstanding she's still totally capable of supporting herself, albeit not at the same level of comfort she'd have splitting costs with her engineer boyfriend, so yeah she's just going to find a way to sabotage any relationship she enters with any human and her parents didn't do that part

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 7, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

Oh boy, one of those "no man will ever be good enough for my daughter" types of dads

I mean I guess this is better than aggressively policing all of her sexual partners until she's well into her 30s but what a hosed up set of expectations to set for your kid. She frames her relationships as competitive and adversarial, which is probably going to make her and whatever stupid bastard marries her miserable well into middle age.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

now I gotta know what field she works in

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Fullhouse posted:

Fursuit commissioning and repair, with an MA in plastics manufacturing.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fullhouse posted:

I'm going to guess she's an educator

"I can only make money if I'm doing this for a long time, and going back to school repeatedly to get more education so I can make more money is a good idea that makes sense" is the most "I decided to be a teacher" thing ever imo

actually it says something about administrative post and clients in the post so I have no loving idea here. What the hell could she be doing that a master's degree would be useful for that isn't making good money? Or is she seriously just hung up that her boyfriend is gonna make 200k/yr in a high earning profession? It'd be hilarious if she was still pulling six figures and just mincing about how many dollars of their savings belonged to him first

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 7, 2017

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

they start these kids young

quote:

Me [17M] dating 5 people[16F/17F/19M/18F/18F] and don't know what to do.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

loving :laffo:. Eating through a woman. maybe you can't get a good job because you're functionally retarded

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

loving :laffo:. Eating through a woman. maybe you can't get a good job because you're functionally retarded

Reddit is an international, intergalactic community, it's just r/chestbursterfree is poorly-attended

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
it's not education because she says the field is non-traditional. her post history is a treasure though

quote:

Another fat cow who prostitutes her child for attention. You're better off away from that kind of being. If someone does not even propely care for their own spawn, then they're not worth a minute of attention. Ignore her. You've got better things to do, I'm sure you do.

:eyepop:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fullhouse posted:

Probably some unskilled office horseshit where her job title is her first name and the Master's is from an online degree mill. "Oh, you need to talk to Karen to get that updated." Just the kind of job that'll let you build fragile confidence that'll get shattered in your 30s when some piece of software replaces your desk.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm convinced that persons entire family was brutally slaughtered by a toddler

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheScott2K posted:

Probably some unskilled office horseshit where her job title is her first name and the Master's is from an online degree mill. "Oh, you need to talk to Karen to get that updated." Just the kind of job that'll let you build fragile confidence that'll get shattered in your 30s when some piece of software replaces your desk.

Yeah, I bet you're right. Probably a mid-level manager for some company's HR or accounting department.

She should really get over this and stick with her boyfriend b/c I hear "administrative work" and it's all :siren: :siren: :siren: automation ahead :siren: :siren: :siren:

I'm convinced that persons entire family was brutally slaughtered by a toddler

given the way she's raised, is it any surprise she resents babies for their lazy, shiftless nature and inability to care for themselves?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
lol owned by a 12 year old.

quote:

[RANT] I thought it was paradise... (self.childfree)
submitted 3 days ago by CearaLucaya

Short rant here. In my town there's a bar called Barcadia. Basically a bar and an arcade mixed into one. It's got fun drinks like Princess Peach, Venasaur, Bo-Omb, ect. I go there for soda while my boyfriend drinks as I'm still a year under drinking age here. Either way, I thought it was a childfree haven the first time I went there on Thursday night a couple weeks ago. No kids, lots of games, free popcorn, and 2 N64's to play with games like Goldeneye and Mario Party 2.
Enter tonight. My boyfriend asked if I wanted to go, and of course I said yes. We got there around 7:30 after popping into subway for supper (Tuna and Spinach FTW) to find a group of 4 intoxicated adults and a child, maybe 12 years old. My heart sank but my boyfriend just pulled me into the back away from the kid. A while later we were at the bar and I was cheering him on as he did shots; a man from the group went BEHIND THE BAR and asked the bartender if he could buy a glowing cube stool for his kid. He said, and I quote, "I'll give you five bucks for it now." Those things are clearly worth at LEAST $60. The bartender just shook her head and wrote down where the guy could order them online, but that wasn't good enough. The guy kept egging her on, demanding that she sell him a stool that's the property of the bar. Then the kid started shrieking that he WANTED THE GLOWY CUBE SO BAD. Goddamnit. I went to the bathroom and when I came back it had quieted down, and the stools were still in their places.
Cue about half an hour later. My boyfriend and I were wandering, wondering what to play next when I noticed something. The kid was playing a shooter, but instead of placing his snacks and water on the shelves provided by the bar beside each cabinet, he had put them onto a game he wasn't even playing. That just pissed me off further. What if someone wanted to play that game? I mean come on!
They were still there when we left at 10:00, and the adults that were with the kid were just plastered. I felt bad for the rest of the patrons there.

quote:

[RANT] No one wants to see your pregnant belly. (self.childfree)
submitted 4 days ago by gubbilum

I am grossed out by pregnant bellies. I am even more grossed out by the almost fetishization of pregnant women (eg. people asking to touch the belly, listen to the baby, feel the baby bump) Pregnancy photoshoots, announcements, etc. I find them all high inappropriate and frankly disgusting.
This was brought on that social media and sadly even the freakin' NEWS has been flooded with Beyonce's tacky pregnancy photo/announcement.

Tempting to go post a pic of my pulsating bump to this one

quote:

Getting pregnant is not a miracle! (self.childfree)
submitted 5 days ago by JinDenver33/M/TooBusyPlayingVideoGamesAndReading

I am so, so sick and tired of people (a friend recently posted about the miracle & blessing of pregnancy because she's going to have an ankle biter) calling pregnancy a miracle.
Pregnancy is literally a basic and main function of the human body. Humans are SUPPOSED to be able to reproduce. The fact that someone jizzed in you and it stuck is not a miracle.
But JinDenver, it IS a miracle! So many people try to get pregnant and it doesn't work out!
You know what? When Five Guys gets my order right once in a while, it's not a loving miracle, it's the system working as designed. Just because there are also other outcomes that happen sometimes doesn't mean the one you want is something magical bestowed upon you.
I need a drink.

See, these ones are actually aggravating.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mirthless posted:

Yeah, I bet you're right. Probably a mid-level manager for some company's HR or accounting department.

She should really get over this and stick with her boyfriend b/c I hear "administrative work" and it's all :siren: :siren: :siren: automation ahead :siren: :siren: :siren:

given the way she's raised, is it any surprise she resents babies for their lazy, shiftless nature and inability to care for themselves?

When people talk about automation killing jobs they focus on dudes who used to make $12 an hour to move sheet metal from one machine to the other, not realizing how many people (possibly including themselves) spend their work day doing exactly that, only instead of factory machines it's bad Access databases and physical copies of documents.

What I'm saying is we're not going to realize we need UBI until it's too late.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

"ugh, people being happy! what morons. i need a drink to relieve myself of this burden, of being clear eyed and too honest to dismiss the ludicrous nature of *spits* pregnancy"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheScott2K posted:

When people talk about automation killing jobs they focus on dudes who used to make $12 an hour to move sheet metal from one machine to the other, not realizing how many people (possibly including themselves) spend their work day doing exactly that, only instead of factory machines it's bad Access databases and physical copies of documents.

What I'm saying is we're not going to realize we need UBI until it's too late.

Some of the conversations I overhear in the break room at work are pretty incredible. They've all convinced themselves they're hard workers and will never need government assistance when most of them are just "accountants", putting numbers into a spreadsheet and emailing the spreadsheet to people. We could already automate half the department if we wanted to, it's management that keeps people around and the more and more "new school" managers ascend to executive positions, the more and more you're going to see entire departments downsized and replaced with a single engineer.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
:lol: if you think administrative positions will ever get automated away. Every office needs at least one person to herd the cats, especially the sales guys and especially executives.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fruit on the bottom posted:

This article repeats that old saw about how raising the minimum wage would make it impossible for the poor to buy anything so I don't know that their analysis is top-notch here.

Yeah, it gets political at the end there, but the point is that the Mcdouble is an amazing value! :v: Lady could get 2 a day for under $3 to get her full daily ration of protein and half her calories. Then go home and have 50 cents worth of rice or beans or whatever to fill out the rest of her calorie needs. It wouldn't be healthy, but healthier than literally starving because some jerk keeps stealing all your food.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I want one of these anti-pregnancy fuckers to see the movement on the skin when a baby kicks in the womb. It'll haunt them for years.

Yawgmoth posted:

:lol: if you think administrative positions will ever get automated away. Every office needs at least one person to herd the cats, especially the sales guys and especially executives.

People claim everything will be automated but you can't manipulate and gently caress over software the way you can a person. Want to "delegate" your work to your software so you can head out early? If it can do it, you just became obsolete.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 7, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

lol owned by a 12 year old.

Tempting to go post a pic of my pulsating bump to this one

"Help, Reddit, children exist and sometimes I have to share public spaces with them and urgh I don't like them"
This is your brain on internet.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yawgmoth posted:

not all of them will, but enough of them to cause downward wage pressure and contribute to widespread structural unemployment among the young and undereducated

a lot of entry level white collar jobs are next on the chopping block - some of these jobs are so worthless they get people to do them for free. and there's a lot of bullshit like social media manager, entry level customer support etc. that could be scripted with a rudimentary AI

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

Sales can and will be automated eventually imo, especially at the corporate level. Administrative positions will still exist but there will be a lot fewer of them because there will be a lot fewer cats for them to herd in the workplace of the future - you don't need accounting managers if your company's automating everything they do and running a blockchain ledger. Executives will still have AAs, but many (if not most) companies have already dropped down from every exec having their own AA to one or two AAs for each office's executive staff. Productivity increases are just as dangerous to administrative positions as automation is.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

boner confessor posted:

"ugh, people being happy! what morons. i need a drink to relieve myself of this burden, of being clear eyed and too honest to dismiss the ludicrous nature of *spits* pregnancy"

They really piss me off because I've been active on the pregnancy sub (which is pretty decent) and a lot of women talk about their loss, or getting pregnant after loss so yeah, it is a big deal to some people. It bears repeating, these people cannot handle someone who isn't them getting attention

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

I want one of these anti-pregnancy fuckers to see the movement on the skin when a baby kicks in the womb. It'll haunt them for years.

People claim everything will be automated but you can't manipulate and gently caress over software the way you can a person. Want to "delegate" your work to your software so you can head out early? If it can do it, you just became obsolete.

I've got a great video of my surface of my stomach rolling around that would probably cause a psychological meltdown in at least one of them

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

boner confessor posted:

not all of them will, but enough of them to cause downward wage pressure and contribute to widespread structural unemployment among the young and undereducated

a lot of entry level white collar jobs are next on the chopping block - some of these jobs are so worthless they get people to do them for free. and there's a lot of bullshit like social media manager, entry level customer support etc. that could be scripted with a rudimentary AI

I have a friend who gets paid 60k a year, which is not bad at all for this region, to reply to customer emails with account information, balances, etc. He got his bachelors in applied math and does a job that only requires you to double check what you copied and pasted. Honestly, I'm not sure how he hasn't been replaced by a page on their website.

I've got a great video of my surface of my stomach rolling around that would probably cause a psychological meltdown in at least one of them

lol it definitely would. Pregnancy was an amazing experience for my wife and I but the first time I saw it, I felt this strange mixture of "oh my god I'm going to throw up this is like that xfiles episode" and "this is the most amazing moment I've ever experienced"

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 7, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

I like how she intentionally disproves her own point by saying getting pregnant doesn't work out for many women, yet still coldly and robotically refuses to sympathize with the same people out of sheer spite. Sure, the social media cheerleading over pregnancy gets to be a little much at times, but man, simmer down on that false outrage. It's so funny and really sad. :allears:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 7, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

I have a friend who gets paid 60k a year, which is not bad at all for this region, to reply to customer emails with account information, balances, etc. He got his bachelors in applied math and does a job that only requires you to double check what you copied and pasted. Honestly, I'm not sure how he hasn't been replaced by a page on their website.

he's just lucky, we got rid of our person who does that and replaced them with a script. ideally he's spending his 20+ hours of downtime a week working on his skillset and resume on someone else's dime

They really piss me off because I've been active on the pregnancy sub (which is pretty decent) and a lot of women talk about their loss, or getting pregnant after loss so yeah, it is a big deal to some people. It bears repeating, these people cannot handle someone who isn't them getting attention

i just really liked the last guy declaring he needs a drink, because there's really only two ways you can read that

-"i need a drink" as in the clever, comedic "i am so over this and i'm a total booze hound yuk yuk" sign off which has more impact when it's not someone complaining about something so completely weird and boring like "i'm mad that pregnant people exist"

-coded admission of likely nonfunctional alcoholism which may be why this person has ended up resenting other people's happiness

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, it gets political at the end there, but the point is that the Mcdouble is an amazing value! :v: Lady could get 2 a day for under $3 to get her full daily ration of protein and half her calories. Then go home and have 50 cents worth of rice or beans or whatever to fill out the rest of her calorie needs. It wouldn't be healthy, but healthier than literally starving because some jerk keeps stealing all your food.

I think the issue here is that she's already doing that, and the health effects are having a negative impact on her life, so it is untenable.

boner confessor posted:

he's just lucky, we got rid of our person who does that and replaced them with a script. ideally he's spending his 20+ hours of downtime a week working on his skillset and resume on someone else's dime

you'd be surprised at how many people are "just lucky" when it comes to their completely automatable jobs

most businesses could replace their entire IT helpdesk tomorrow with a self-service portal and people would stop complaining about it within a week.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mirthless posted:

most businesses could replace their entire IT helpdesk tomorrow with a self-service portal and people would stop complaining about it within a week.

Ahahaha you have no idea how much most people need to be hand held through performing even the most basic troubleshooting. They need a person to guide them.

Help desk won't be automated till we get AI that can think and talk and pass a Turing test.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

boner confessor posted:

i just really liked the last guy declaring he needs a drink, because there's really only two ways you can read that

-"i need a drink" as in the clever, comedic "i am so over this and i'm a total booze hound yuk yuk" sign off which has more impact when it's not someone complaining about something so completely weird and boring like "i'm mad that pregnant people exist"

-coded admission of likely nonfunctional alcoholism which may be why this person has ended up resenting other people's happiness

Why not both?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mirthless posted:

you'd be surprised at how many people are "just lucky" when it comes to their completely automatable jobs

IT will be a thing so long as 80% of people are too scared / hesitant / incompetent to do what IT professionals do when confronted with a problem, which is googling it and following the instructions on how to fix

same reason why fast food cashiers are suprisingly resilient to automation despite repeated empty threats. your average burger buyer is not as efficient at navigating a touchscreen POS as someone who's been trained to do it for minwage. fast food won't be as automated until someone develops extremely precise voice recognition or just some kind of really slick and massively popular app that lets you order before you get to the restaurant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

boner confessor posted:

same reason why fast food cashiers are suprisingly resilient to automation despite repeated empty threats. your average burger buyer is not as efficient at navigating a touchscreen POS as someone who's been trained to do it for minwage. fast food won't be as automated until someone develops extremely precise voice recognition or just some kind of really slick and massively popular app that lets you order before you get to the restaurant

Taco Bell is all over that and it's great. Really lets you get weird with the add-ons too.