Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Except, inter-instance comm. is coming - 100% guarantee it.

Since a chat box is technically the minimum viable way to have "inter-instance communication" I tend to agree that, given enough time, CIG might be able to get that working, once Chris has the chat interface "die a horrible death" as he promised in December 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
A long time when everything was possible.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Bootcha posted:

Hello darkness my old friend, it's good to be with you again.

Holy mimzy. What up.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

intardnation posted:

when do we get swtor 2?
mmos are dead. there's no major studios making new mmos anymore because its a dumb move

they take forever to make and take a huge team with super high cost infrastructure to run

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean, no major studios besides CIG, maker of Star Citizen, the MMO/not MMO hybrid that can't even get a basic 24 player deathmatch FPS working correctly

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Roberts will save MMOs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Truga posted:

The real question is, how long until Ben eats the rest of his hands? They're fairly normal length in that picture

That is skinny Ben.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TheAgent posted:

what? no

disney and EA are buddy buddy with the star wars IP (with the exception of mobile games) and had a new agreement signed with the mouse in 2013 (a ten year contract with reups, 5 game minimum)

the new battlefront has new order/resistance factions and a single player storyline around the rebels timeline, fyi

the new visceral game is supposedly set on the outer rim during the rise of the new order (think remnant fleet) and the other studio (EA undisclosed) is working on the space mama jamma thing, set among new republic planets

I stand informed and i thank you for the details. All this was just personal musing and speculation on my part. I expected Disney to rush out movie tie in games as soon as possible but it seem they are staggering the release so they dont compete with themselves for nerd money.

I guess owning all major IPs of a generation (outside of maybe Pokemon and iconic Nintendo characters) give them that leisure.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

Wasn't that sub supposed to be an archive of Derkisms as they related to SC?

No, I was banned a month after starting posting there because all I talked about was SC and "this is not an SC channel, it's a DS archiving channel".

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
ManofManyAliasesauthor; platinum
Joined Mar 21, 2016
Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway
2017-02-07, 09:41

ManofManyAliases author; platinum
Joined Mar 21, 2016
2017-02-07, 09:42

ManofManyAliases author; platinum
Joined Mar 21, 2016
2017-02-07, 09:46

I hope I'm not missing anything :ohdear:

Jk, I will see everything he wrote as a quote from someone else :dukedoge:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Just to reiterate something you might have missed in your mission briefing: the whole point of having instances is that they don't communicate and that there is no interaction between them. It's not that it can't be done — it's that it would be a tremendously stupid thing to do.

And if what reddit is talking about is zoning, rather than instancing, then congratulations, we had that in 1993. What progress.

Yeah. Glad I caught up with the thread.

Communicating between logical instances happens all the time, usually through a database or more recently a simple messaging queue. There's even an Amazon service dedicated to that in amazonSNS. Eve is sharded into universes, but everyone is in the same universe. The systems are logical instances with configuration that uses a central (fast, in memory) database so everyone in the same shard is in the same 'universe'.

The _fundamental problem_ is that their 'instances' are currently smaller than their upper bound for a given ship, meaning that you have to instance a single capital down into sections, _transition_ between those sections, and communicate between those sections and all other sections/instances to the point where it becomes a clusterfuck that would be better suited by having more entities per instance. poo poo starts to multiply fast, and some of it needs to be transactional...

It's like trying to eat an elephant in one sitting from the rear end first.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Chris's hairpiece looks like some furry creature just fell off the roof onto his head there.

Old 'un, but I'll never turn down a chance to repost...

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Truga posted:

SWTOR was actually salvaged into a decent computer game though, they just keep pumping out expansions now and people play and the content is fairly ok.

You could argue SW:KOTOR is not even a MMO. They tried real hard to be one, but people want to have their own adventures in the SW universe and be the hero, not some random crafter cog in a guild of 50 mining ice rocks everyday to fund guild warfare. Recent patch and expansion show more and more concession to the solo playstyle.

a good % of people simply play it as Kotor 3 with a built in chat interface.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

So, ok, here's the thing about Crobbler's obvious toupee.

In normal light, office light, etc, it probably looks like totally normal hair. But because he's vain as gently caress and puts himself on camera under camera lighting, it becomes super obvious because of the way light refracts through hair. He needs to either man up and own being a baldy, or go full wig if he's going to continue to spend most of his day with a cameraman following him doing inane poo poo.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hav posted:

Communicating between logical instances happens all the time, usually through a database or more recently a simple messaging queue. There's even an Amazon service dedicated to that in amazonSNS. Eve is sharded into universes, but everyone is in the same universe. The systems are logical instances with configuration that uses a central (fast, in memory) database so everyone in the same shard is in the same 'universe'.

The _fundamental problem_ is that their 'instances' are currently smaller than their upper bound for a given ship, meaning that you have to instance a single capital down into sections, _transition_ between those sections, and communicate between those sections and all other sections/instances to the point where it becomes a clusterfuck that would be better suited by having more entities per instance. poo poo starts to multiply fast, and some of it needs to be transactional...

It's like trying to eat an elephant in one sitting from the rear end first.

Not only that, "nested instances" is how they propose to have 1000 people in one place. The "porous instances" was a shot from the hip when asked what happened if someone opened a hole in your hull. Would you be able to see what was happening out there if your ship was so big (>20 people lol) that it needed it's own instance? Even if all of this magic came to life the next question is... what happens when your ship is blown up and you are suddenly dropped in the "parent" instance which is already at the ~20 person limit?

After a while I realized it's better not to ask, it's instances all the way down.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:allears:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

aleksendr posted:

You could argue SW:KOTOR is not even a MMO. They tried real hard to be one, but people want to have their own adventures in the SW universe and be the hero, not some random crafter cog in a guild of 50 mining ice rocks everyday to fund guild warfare. Recent patch and expansion show more and more concession to the solo playstyle.

a good % of people simply play it as Kotor 3 with a built in chat interface.

Yea i do this. Havent played in a year tho

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What is it with Star Citizen and angry Karls?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Yea i do this. Havent played in a year tho

You might want to come back for new content. They now allow flashpoints important for the universe storyline to be soloed.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

After a while I realized it's better not to ask, it's instances all the way down.

It's fine, what we all fail to understand is that Crobbers can TECH the TECH by reversing the TECH and replacing the TECH with TECH, TECH, TECH and TECH. Then it's merely a bitwise TECH, and Bob's your uncle.

Hey Derek, How come you never TECH the TECH?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

What is it with Star Citizen and angry Karls?

Germany?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Star Citizen has taught me that Germany is a land of angry Karls auditing each other.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : techin' the piss

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Lladre posted:

I'm not sure what to make of a CS employee of a company posting that.

Is this real

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

nawledgelambo posted:

Is this real

Not an airplane desk. Not an airplane chair. :itwaspoo:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Not an airplane desk. Not an airplane chair. :itwaspoo:
its from a hotel somewhere when a certain few people visited a certain gaming convention

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

its from a hotel somewhere when a certain few people visited a certain gaming convention

ah, well, in that case count me convinced

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

hey they don't give those hoodies to just anyone you know

you have to buy them https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/SQ42-Hoodie/XS

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

Well, ok. I should have added the qualifier “as little as possible” rather than “none”, but this is MoMA and that kind of detail level doesn't work well with him.

But the point remains the same: you use instances specifically to cut down on how many people are affected by each other's interactions with the world. EVE doesn't use instances (or shards, really… China server aside) — it uses zones (“grids”) and world (“systems”), where the distinction is more a case of what detail level of information is shared. Everyone in the same system is part of the same world simulation, with the server deciding to what degree they have any chance of interacting directly or not. Warp disruption bubbles, for instance, will have effects on someone not on the same grid. But everything is handled by the same server CPU core (which is one of the lasting limitations in how EVE can handle larger groups of people).

Beyond that, you can also indirectly interact with people in other systems, but that's through the back-end database server, and it's mostly about various system statuses and markets and the like.

Using the term in its most generic and meaningless sense, then sure, each system is “in instance” of running the world simulation code, but they're all different, each handling separate systems. But that's EVE and EVE is a very special and odd bird that has some pretty unique solutions for its equally unique demands and requirements — all of which require some pretty proprietary software and hardware. At no point do you have any duplication or separating people existing in the same space that regular instances are used for in MMO-land. So really, CCP hasn't solve the problem because they don't have that problem — there is nothing for them to solve like there would be for, say, WoW.

What CIG is talking about is having instances communicate with other instances — be they inside or outside or alongside — as if everyone in instance A were able to interact with everyone in instance B just as if they were all in the same instance. That would remove the whole point of having the two instances. Like you say, the problems they're trying to solve are solved by having larger instances, and the fundamental issue is that they can't do that. Never mind all the other problems, like transitioning between what's effectively two different copies of the world — seamlessly, of course — it's that fundamental misconceptions of what instances are actually there to do that is making their whole plan nonsensical. Sure, you can wire them up to interact, possibly even to the point they're talking about, but why would you? You're just adding complexity to solve a problem that is caused by a wholly different and unrelated problem.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

this was all in my blog earlier, keep up will you

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

It's fine, what we all fail to understand is that Crobbers can TECH the TECH by reversing the TECH and replacing the TECH with TECH, TECH, TECH and TECH. Then it's merely a bitwise TECH, and Bob's your uncle.

Hey Derek, How come you never TECH the TECH?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Personally I don't think there's any realistic chance of 3.0 by August, moma's "summertime".

Maybe he's moving to Australia this September, and back to the US in March 2018

:smugdog:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

benzine posted:

A long time when everything was possible.

Protection made most of my favorite art about :pgi: melting down ...the old mwo thread on rsi was p fun before the heffays and momas flagbombed so much the mods made pgi a forbidden topic. Retrospectively cig probably had an idea they were going to be 142 million dollar pgi and wanted to squelch the most likely group on the forum to lead the rebellion once their incompetence started really manifesting.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

ManofManyAliases posted:

Um, no? He made a claim (was either here or on twitter) that he was "walking into a federal building," alluding to some sort of CIG-related inquiry. I said it was for his ticket.

You claimed you never mentioned a ticket, he brought up the exact post where you mentioned a ticket. Now you're denying it. I know you're super into shitposting but maybe you could try reading what has been said before refuting it? Even a little effort would make a huge difference! :)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AlmightyPants posted:

You claimed you never mentioned a ticket, he brought up the exact post where you mentioned a ticket. Now you're denying it. I know you're super into shitposting but maybe you could try reading what has been said before refuting it? Even a little effort would make a huge difference! :)

I don't know if I can support this venture. I mean, there isn't much of a chance Moma would ever admit to being wrong/mistaken/stupid, but still.

What if he did? Could we live in a world with no smug Moma?

:ohdear:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Goobs posted:

Hi friends I need some infos.

Is there any instance where Chris Roberts or anyone on the dev team says specifically that 3.0 should of been out last year?
GameCom 17--Chris gave the 3.0 by the end of the year quote followed up with a "I get in so much trouble for giving dates" cop out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-3YBuFI3iI&t=1410s

Goobs posted:

Is there a list somewhere of senior staff who have left in the past while or does anyone have a number of how many?
The good Doxtor was working on something along these lines. Look for it in a few weeks.

Goobs posted:

Also someone is claiming that his cousin is "the lead tech director", anyway to prove that he isn't?
Again, Doxtor Smart may know..

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

This is perhaps one of the stupidest things I've read from a supporter. If we're staying within the realms of the proverb, the man doing the things shouldn't be distracted - for instance, spending eight hours writing a response article. He should simply show, and not tell.

Apart from that, CR doesn't have a track record for anything other than blowing both budgets and timelines, not to mention there is nothing in this project that hasn't been done better in other, more focused games. He's not pushing the envelope. Wallets? Yes. He's definitely pushing those.

Chris Roberts doesn't lead anything successfully; he insinuates himself into hit or miss projects, and without oversight, this project is leaning very heavily toward the latter.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

CR's track record on previous games is immaterial at this point. We can just point to the track record for SC. Which 4+ years of 1- Promise a feature and a release date for that feature. 2- Fail to deliver on either the feature or the date. 3- Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eldragon posted:

CR's track record on previous games is immaterial at this point. We can just point to the track record for SC. Which 4+ years of 1- Promise a feature and a release date for that feature. 2- Fail to deliver on either the feature or the date. 3- Repeat.

No you see nobody's ever promised so much before,