Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm annoyed because I just started an evil-psychic elf campaign, and now we get info on how we can can go full Eldar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Uf9rsBbhc&t=93s

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I need this patch & dlc in my life, I need it right away

Also, a feature request, though I have no idea how difficult something like this is to implement- maybe too much and too niche to be worth the trouble;

Would it be possible to add an option to choose which monitor to display the game on? I run multiple, a small one for 144hz shootmans and a larger screen that is much more suited for a game like stellaris and every time before I play I need to go into my nvidia settings and switch up primary monitors to get the game over on my larger screen, which is a hassle that unfortunately also messes up a lot of other screen related settings..

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Aethernet posted:

Yeah - or the three directions of travel fighting for dominance and when one looks like it's getting on top its respective crisis arrives.

Or, when losing, they make an ill-advised choice out of desperation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did they say anything about adding a little ghost shading or border or something to give you a hint as to how an outpost or colony will affect your borders?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

GlyphGryph posted:

Prethoryn as they are now would probably have to be the result of somehow exploring another galaxy and letting them know you are here and available to devour.

Yeah, the Prethoryn appear to be based off the Tyranids from WH40K.

IE: The horrific galaxy eating race that was one of WH40K's equivalent of an end game crisis in Stellaris... until the Imperium realized that the endless swarms they just barely fought off were just a few scout fleets and hive queen equivalents mindlessly wandering the dark spaces between galaxies to find something new to eat. The real galaxy devouring armada of space monsters was just as big as something that eats galaxies would be, and it's probably on it's way to the Milky Way.

Given that we can't explore other galaxies and the Unbidden look like they might be getting some interactivity added maybe we'll end up being able to see genestealers genetically modded races allying with them showing up in the game?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 7, 2017

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Bohemian Nights posted:

I need this patch & dlc in my life, I need it right away

Also, a feature request, though I have no idea how difficult something like this is to implement- maybe too much and too niche to be worth the trouble;

Would it be possible to add an option to choose which monitor to display the game on? I run multiple, a small one for 144hz shootmans and a larger screen that is much more suited for a game like stellaris and every time before I play I need to go into my nvidia settings and switch up primary monitors to get the game over on my larger screen, which is a hassle that unfortunately also messes up a lot of other screen related settings..

Window key + left/right

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hey Wiz / Zaza ;) , do you accept submissions for anomalies or short quest lines like the subterranean race one? I guess the answer is no, because you do not have the time to read tons of bad fanfiction, but I am curious.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tarquinn posted:

Hey Wiz / Zaza ;) , do you accept submissions for anomalies or short quest lines like the subterranean race one? I guess the answer is no, because you do not have the time to read tons of bad fanfiction, but I am curious.

I also want to be the next Alexis Kennedy!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

BabyFur Denny posted:

Window key + left/right

Oh my god.

Oh my god

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tarquinn posted:

I think LordMune does a lot of events?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Mister Adequate posted:

I also want to be the next Alexis Kennedy!

I'm just (very slightly) tired of getting the same events over and over again but still no goddam horizon signal :argh: and more variety is good. :v:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tarquinn posted:

I'm just (very slightly) tired of getting the same events over and over again

Please consider not using spoilers to deliver punchlines, it feels pretty forced, lots of people find ways to deliver jokes and punchlines without using them.

The other thing is I also agree with how little content there is, a few event chains that reoccur on most playthroughs and don't really resolve into anything meaningful, however the game director insists the game is not content sparse.

I'm running two mods, Fallen Empires and Stellar Expansion, the game still feels so very sparse. As soon as I reach my planet limit I start thinking about when I can punt planets to the sector, except this is 1.4, so my robot build is going to be all screwed up, and then it's fun stuff like: "Alright I'm capped out, so ok these two will go into the sector pool and before that I'll go one over the cap for a bit, when they release I'll be at 4/5, so then I colonize this planet and build it up and then kick it over to the sector." - BORING

And let me reiterate once more: Having the player do all the micro on the planet AND THEN kick it to the sector is the worst of all worlds. You frontload the micro - the building slots and moving pops and assigning pops to buildings and clearing tiles all happens at the start. So I'm clicking and clicking, get rid of this tile, pay for the clearing, build this thing, get the right pop on it. The reward for this 5-10 minutes of tedium per planet is that at the end, you have a cap that forces you to relinquish that planet into a place where it will be used suboptimally. So like, hey nice job building a useful planet. Let's give it to the sector that will mostly do nothing with it.

Even if you wanted to have sectors, and pops, and buildings, this sequence is dumb. If the sectors are meant to prevent micro tedium I should be able to throw every new planet into a sector and have it grow pretty much as well as it would have if I was managing it, then colonization and expansion would not be horrific. As it is, I do all the work as if I was going to keep the planet (no reduction in micro) but then I have to dump the planet that I did the work for. It's just bizarre and seems completely backwards.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 7, 2017

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Rakthar posted:

Please consider not using spoilers to deliver punchlines, it feels pretty forced, lots of people find ways to deliver jokes and punchlines without using them.

Yes. Noooo.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it. :)

Edit: I don't mean to sound sarcastic.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 7, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Archonex posted:

Yeah, the Prethoryn appear to be based off the Tyranids from WH40K.

IE: The horrific galaxy eating race that was one of WH40K's equivalent of an end game crisis in Stellaris... until the Imperium realized that the endless swarms they just barely fought off were just a few scout fleets and hive queen equivalents mindlessly wandering the dark spaces between galaxies to find something new to eat. The real galaxy devouring armada of space monsters was just as big as something that eats galaxies would be, and it's probably on it's way to the Milky Way.

Given that we can't explore other galaxies and the Unbidden look like they might be getting some interactivity added maybe we'll end up being able to see genestealers genetically modded races allying with them showing up in the game?

I think one of the best yet simple revelations that just makes the jaw drop with the tyranids is that the third big invasion is coming from beneath the galactic plane. It's not a clear indication of the scale of the threat but it sure makes you stop and think.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Setting aside the happiness debate, we got the last Harmony option:

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/828347510162862081

Late to the party but this trait could totally be renamed "Don't gently caress with the Culture"

Not so smug now idirans :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The sector AI isn't so much as dumb as there's not enough settings for it IMO.

I have like 50 planets in my sector. That's a lot of planets! Honestly, the game manages them more than well enough, but I'd really like an option like "every planet should have a paradise dome", so I don't have to build one before I toss it over to the sector governor.

Likewise, as someone earlier pointed out, let us have blueprints for space ports. This would achieve two things, not having to babysit your spaceport if it's in core worlds, and have the option for the sectors to build to your blueprint.

Basically, sectors can stay as they are, they're smart enough. Let us specify mandatory buildings that every planet that has 10 or more live pops should build though. As good as the AI is, I might have specific wishes for my planets and it can't read my mind.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah sector AI sounds easy until you start to think about it. "Just build a paradise dome on every planet, well not that one because those aliens are lovely and I don't like them and it's size 10. Also build robots on every mine and farm, except on these planets because it has guys that don't like robots, and not that planet because that race has a big mineral bonus anyways, and not this one because I want this to be an organic-only planet for role playing reasons"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Truga posted:

The sector AI isn't so much as dumb as there's not enough settings for it IMO.

I have like 50 planets in my sector. That's a lot of planets! Honestly, the game manages them more than well enough, but I'd really like an option like "every planet should have a paradise dome", so I don't have to build one before I toss it over to the sector governor.

Likewise, as someone earlier pointed out, let us have blueprints for space ports. This would achieve two things, not having to babysit your spaceport if it's in core worlds, and have the option for the sectors to build to your blueprint.

Basically, sectors can stay as they are, they're smart enough. Let us specify mandatory buildings that every planet that has 10 or more live pops should build though. As good as the AI is, I might have specific wishes for my planets and it can't read my mind.

If you've set up 50 planets and turned them over to the sector, at 5 minutes of pointless clicking per that's 250 minutes of pointless poo poo you've done this run alone. 4 hours of your life spent setting pretend pixels up so that a utility AI can give you about 50-80% use out of them. Why is there a cap whatsoever when you've already made the players do all the work? You could let the player keep the 50 planets they've already done the 250 minutes of crap to get them functional. What are you saving them by making them put it in a sector? Clicking upgrade on the various mineral and energy extractors? An upgrade all button fixes that. You could have a 'auto build upgrades when the que is empty' toggle on planets even.

The micro I do on planets is almost 90-95% stuff I do before I give them to the sector. The sector does not cut down on micro or provide meaningful automation, but it does make me feel that taking new planets is pointless. The multiple sectors stuff is incomprehensible to me. They have to be contiguous?? I can't even just throw them in a space sector?? Tedium upon tedium for no reason.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 7, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Argas posted:

I think one of the best yet simple revelations that just makes the jaw drop with the tyranids is that the third big invasion is coming from beneath the galactic plane. It's not a clear indication of the scale of the threat but it sure makes you stop and think.

The current estimation by the Strategic Collective is that the Imperium's mobilization would have to increase 500% to stand a realistic chance of resisting the full might of the Tyranids. That would entail every single living person in three of the five Segmentae. I want Prethoryn to be that dangerous and enduring a threat in Stellaris, requiring a total galactic mobilization to beat :black101:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No I literally just start building a paradise dome and then throw it over to the sector. If I could tell the sector to do it instead that'd be good enough for me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Strategic Tea posted:

Late to the party but this trait could totally be renamed "Don't gently caress with the Culture"

Not so smug now idirans :allears:

Don't gently caress with mysterious Dra'Azon entities overseeing Planets of the Dead, either. :colbert:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Truga posted:

No I literally just start building a paradise dome and then throw it over to the sector. If I could tell the sector to do it instead that'd be good enough for me.

Yeah my go to is to build a happiness building, plop down a couple farms, and a mine or two if there's bonuses, and queue up robots for all the mines and farms, then let em loose. Then of course back later to see 2 of the 4 robots working on energy tiles, the monument to purity unstaffed, and 2 humans working the mines instead of the robots :(

The sector AI really needs to sort pops around for "best bonuses". Automatically put the robots on the mines, put those thrifty aliens on the energy, and your super-researchers on the labs. This should be automatic for all planets.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Truga posted:

same but frontier clinic + monument to purity

e: i also dislike how unevenly the sector AI tends to build. it does not make a ton of sense for it to be sitting on 4000 minerals in reserve, but half of the planets that i have given it have 50%+ of its land lying fallow or running level 1 buildings when level 4 exist.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 7, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rakthar posted:

If you've set up 50 planets and turned them over to the sector, at 5 minutes of pointless clicking per that's 250 minutes of pointless poo poo you've done this run alone. 4 hours of your life spent setting pretend pixels up so that a utility AI can give you about 50-80% use out of them. Why is there a cap whatsoever when you've already made the players do all the work?
Jesus man, you're not supposed to do that. On your first 10 or so planets, sure, micromanage the heck out of them. But once you're up to 20 and certainly 50 just throw those fuckers in a sector and don't even think about them.

Yeah, they'll be developed sub-optimally, but at a certain point, who cares? Is cranking out that extra marginal advantage over the AI worth four hours of tedium?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I also want a society where robots do all the hard work. Like caste system but with robots. Humans on research and energy, robots on mining and farming. Have this automatic and enforced in sectors too.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah my go to is to build a happiness building, plop down a couple farms, and a mine or two if there's bonuses, and queue up robots for all the mines and farms, then let em loose. Then of course back later to see 2 of the 4 robots working on energy tiles, the monument to purity unstaffed, and 2 humans working the mines instead of the robots :(

The sector AI really needs to sort pops around for "best bonuses". Automatically put the robots on the mines, put those thrifty aliens on the energy, and your super-researchers on the labs. This should be automatic for all planets.

There's the precursor to this, where you put the planet HQ down and have to grow it to 5 while building farms on either blank or the wrong tiles. And then there's the issue of moving the HQ or not moving the HQ, since you can't clear tiles for good adjacency bonus use until you place the HQ.

I don't get that stuff. The same shuffle on every planet? It's not even "colonize planet, que up what I want, throw to sector" there's a bunch of stuff to get to that point.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Utopia seems to be shaping up closer to an old school Paradox expansion in terms of content and new mechanics, and I am extremely hype. Embracing the sci-fi grab-bag and literally just adding the Warp is a big jump in the right direction.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I also want a society where robots do all the hard work. Like caste system but with robots. Humans on research and energy, robots on mining and farming. Have this automatic and enforced in sectors too.

I'd be down for this if there was some way to speed up robot pop construction times.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Eiba posted:

Jesus man, you're not supposed to do that. On your first 10 or so planets, sure, micromanage the heck out of them. But once you're up to 20 and certainly 50 just throw those fuckers in a sector and don't even think about them.

Yeah, they'll be developed sub-optimally, but at a certain point, who cares? Is cranking out that extra marginal advantage over the AI worth four hours of tedium?

Ok so for the first 10 planets, the player will spend an hour developing stuff that they will largely cede to the sector AI. Then afterward, they will stop caring about new planets that are colonized or conquered - just throw them to the sector AI and let that poo poo handle it. That way you really feel the impact of your conquests, ethics, pop choices, and planet building decisions. Especially per run. All this while constantly juggling a planet cap.

I don't understand why one would implement it that way, and hope that the basic flow of these things gets reassessed. Hopefully the food overhaul will help.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd be down for this if there was some way to speed up robot pop construction times.

Yeah I modded robots to cost twice as much but build 4x as fast.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That reminds me, I dunno if this is an exploit or what but:
If you start building robots on a planet - fill all the tiles with "build robot". Then you research droids or synths, but all the robots you're building won't upgrade to the correct tier until they're actually built. So you cancel a robot and build a droid/synth there and you'll be building 2 robots at the same time, because count as different species.

It's obviously not some kind of giant boost, and is only doable twice during a game, but it's a thing. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rakthar posted:

If you've set up 50 planets and turned them over to the sector, at 5 minutes of pointless clicking per that's 250 minutes of pointless poo poo you've done this run alone. 4 hours of your life spent setting pretend pixels up so that a utility AI can give you about 50-80% use out of them. Why is there a cap whatsoever when you've already made the players do all the work? You could let the player keep the 50 planets they've already done the 250 minutes of crap to get them functional. What are you saving them by making them put it in a sector? Clicking upgrade on the various mineral and energy extractors? An upgrade all button fixes that. You could have a 'auto build upgrades when the que is empty' toggle on planets even.

The micro I do on planets is almost 90-95% stuff I do before I give them to the sector. The sector does not cut down on micro or provide meaningful automation, but it does make me feel that taking new planets is pointless. The multiple sectors stuff is incomprehensible to me. They have to be contiguous?? I can't even just throw them in a space sector?? Tedium upon tedium for no reason.

Setting aside the issue of whether your complaints have any merit or not:

Please stop horribly abusing the word tedium like that. I am starting to think you don't actually know what it means.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Captain Oblivious posted:

Please stop horribly abusing the word tedium like that. I am starting to think you don't actually know what it means.

Ok I'm genuinely confused here.

I find the process of:
Landing on a planet
Placing the HQ
Shuffling a governor over if I need one
Building the farms
Growing the pop to 5
Moving or not moving the HQ for adjacency
Building the desired buildings
Waiting for pop growth
Assigning the pops to the buildings
Giving the planet to a sector

To be dull and repetitive, as you have to do it for each planet, and in a given campaign that can occur many times. I find this sequence tedious and don't enjoy the tedium of doing this task many times during a given playthrough. What's the issue with my usage of the word? Why exactly are we talking about this?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Rakthar posted:

Moving or not moving the HQ for adjacency

You can do this? :aaaaa:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can, and it's actually worthwhile doing it sometimes when a good spot is taken by a clearable tile and it's early enough in the game that the extra 4 power/minerals matter.

However, by the time you have sectors with several planets, lol.

Rakthar: I play like you say during the early and maybe mid game, but by late game it's just not needed, the extra 10-20% you get from micromanaging isn't worth your time.

I suggest trying playing without using pause at all for a bit, see what happens (it happened to me playing multiplayer!) :v:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Eiba posted:

The whole point of making sectors mandatory is to avoid that kind of power-tedium tradeoff, this is the mechanic failing at its goal.

Captain Oblivious posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hey sometimes my stuff comes across as critical when I don't intend it that way. So I'll just try a quick paragraph to sum it up:

I really like that Stellaris has both complexity and automation. I think that's awesome. I would look at the sequencing. Maybe new planets should be colonized and then automatically thrown into a 'colonial sector.' When that happens, you get to select a 'target' for the planet. Kinda like a ship builder. You can clear any tiles you want, assign buildings, set the pops, you can build it the way you want it to look when it's complete - before anything has actually grown there. Then the colonial AI builds the planet the way you want, and when it's done, you get to manage it and it becomes part of your empire.

Right now the way it works is, for a 50 planet scenario:
Player does 50 planets worth of infrastructure set up
AI tries to make interesting decisions with that infrastructure and does not succeed

So I suggest inverting it, for a 50 planet scenario:
AI does 50 planets worth of infrastructure set up
Player gets to make interesting decisions with that infrastructure

So I'd remove the planet cap (or raise it by x5 or x10), make all newly colonized or conquered planets go into a colonial sector AI, and have them emerge into your regular empire when they are done building to the blueprint you provided.

That's the kind of thing I'd like to see, so that the player gets 50 planets that they can look at the pops, or build cool endgame buildings, or optimize them now that they are done being built and be done with it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Eiba posted:

in my case it was required that i would revoke and micromanage to a large extent because i required a huge energy base to field the fleet i needed to stopper the AE two doors down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think one of the core design flaws/missing elements in stellaris is any sort of measure of production.
Minerals are fine as a cost for building things, but build SPEED should be based on something a little more under player control. Why can't I build 10 robots at once? Why can't I have a shipyard building 10 battleships at once? Why can't I be building a bunch of planet improvements at the same time?

I really wish there was some sort of "production" or "industrial capacity" system in the game that took in minerals and pooped out "industry" locally, so more like a Hoi game. If you have the industrial capacity why not build 5 mines in parallel? Why can't this super-developed industrial planet build robots faster than out on the frontier? Why not have some big industrial planet churning out robots for the rest of your empire? Why not have a huge forge world with a ring of orbital shipyards churning out ships? You'd of course need to feed those industrial worlds minerals, but they would act as a funnel for your empire's minerals and present choices of specializing industrial worlds, spreading production out, balancing your industrial capacity with your minerals or giving yourself the ability to rapidly build things in bursts while your minerals last. Industrial capacity could also produce consumer goods!

• Locked thread